ADVERTISEMENT

Fast Food Unicorn

CJBauer

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Newtown, PA
no, not a limited-time menu item at Krusty Burger from an episode of the Simpsons...at least I don't think so (google that later)

Does a fast food/fast casual restaurant chain* exist that all of HORT can agree

1) Is not overrated
2) Is not overpriced
3) The fries do not suck.

*3 or more locations

and....go!

no, not a limited-time menu item at Krusty Burger from an episode of the Simpsons...at least I don't think so (google that later)

1) Is not overrated
2) Is not overpriced

*3 or more locations

and....go!
McDonald's

1) Is not overrated - It's properly rated; everyone agrees it sucks
2) Is not overpriced - Generally the cheapest stuff out there
3) The fries do not suck. - Check

I think Culver's fits the bill. For the quality (which is high) it is not overpriced, although it isn't super cheap.

They have crinkle cut fries that are never soggy or cold. Stellar burgers. Interesting alternative sandwiches and other dinner items. And they make awesome frozen custard.

Restaurants are always very clean and well-run. No weird closures or religious controversies either.

A++

1) Is not overrated
2) Is not overpriced

*3 or more locations

and....go!

The best fast food chains (meaning cheap with drive through service) are:

1) Blake’s Lotaburger (best fast food restaurant by a mile, everytime I’m in the Southwest where I can go to one, I do. They are mostly in Texas with a few in Arizona and Western Texas.).
2) Milo’s (their “secret” sauce is better than Mickey Ds and their seasoned crinkle cut fries are always on point. They are exclusively in Alabama at the moment.).
3) Jack’s (not quite as good as their Alabama competitor Milo’s but a decent second best in the region, they’re limited to mostly Alabama with a few scattered in Mississippi, Georgia and Tennessee).
4) Maryland Fried Chicken (my favorite chain chicken narrowly edging out Krispy Krunchy, Lindy’s, Bojangles and Popeyes in that order. They are located in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina despite the name).
5) Del Taco (Basically the answer to “What if Taco Bell used real, fresh ingredients not frozen D grade meats and veggies. They’re mostly in California but I see there’s a smattering of locations in the Midwest along with those in Florida and Georgia).

As far as favorite national chain…I guess Popeyes? I’m not a big fan of any of the national hamburger chains and never go to them locally in Tallahassee other than Mickey Ds for the occasional Egg McMuffin for breakfast and Taco Bell for the occasional Mexican Pizza and other terrible “Mexican” food. Popeyes is my fifth favorite fried chicken place (excluding nugget and tender places like Guthries, Raising Cane’s, Slim Chickens and Foosacklys) so that’s not a real ringing endorsement from me. When on the highway and there’s only the biggest national chains to choose from, I usually in order go Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr, Mickey D’s, Burger King, Wendy’s and only then to Sonic, Checkers and the rest. I will say I do like both Krystal and White Castle as road food as I love the steamed sliders at both and the corn pups and little chili pups at Krystal. But neither are big enough to put on a national list imo.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I think Culver's fits the bill. For the quality (which is high) it is not overpriced, although it isn't super cheap.

They have crinkle cut fries that are never soggy or cold. Stellar burgers. Interesting alternative sandwiches and other dinner items. And they make awesome frozen custard.

Restaurants are always very clean and well-run. No weird closures or religious controversies either.

A++
Is it fast though? Granted, I have 4 kids, but I usually wait at least 10 minutes AFTER getting past the windows.

Worth it to have every burger actually hot off the grill, IMO.

I usually go inside and chill out with a book if I'm going to get Culver's.
Good food no doubt. I think they are not fully in the fast food category.

1662494371882.jpg

Obvious answer is too obvious.

Some call it overrated though because someone told them they hate the gheys... and they believed it.

So while the massive lines say most of society can agree...HORT cannot.
As a certified Chubby Hubby (TM) I think Chik-Fil-A sandwiches are too small.

Give me a fat Popeye's spicy chicken any day over CFA.

1) Blake’s Lotaburger (best fast food restaurant by a mile, everytime I’m in the Southwest where I can go to one, I do. They are mostly in Texas with a few in Arizona and Western Texas.).
2) Milo’s (their “secret” sauce is better than Mickey Ds and their seasoned crinkle cut fries are always on point. They are exclusively in Alabama at the moment.).
3) Jack’s (not quite as good as their Alabama competitor Milo’s but a decent second best in the region, they’re limited to mostly Alabama with a few scattered in Mississippi, Georgia and Tennessee).
4) Maryland Fried Chicken (my favorite chain chicken narrowly edging out Krispy Krunchy, Lindy’s, Bojangles and Popeyes in that order. They are located in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina despite the name).
5) Del Taco (Basically the answer to “What if Taco Bell used real, fresh ingredients not frozen D grade meats and veggies. They’re mostly in California but I see there’s a smattering of locations in the Midwest along with those in Florida and Georgia).

As far as favorite national chain…I guess Popeyes? I’m not a big fan of any of the national hamburger chains and never go to them locally in Tallahassee other than Mickey Ds for the occasional Egg McMuffin for breakfast and Taco Bell for the occasional Mexican Pizza and other terrible “Mexican” food. Popeyes is my fifth favorite fried chicken place (excluding nugget and tender places like Guthries, Raising Cane’s, Slim Chickens and Foosacklys) so that’s not a real ringing endorsement from me. When on the highway and there’s only the biggest national chains to choose from, I usually in order go Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr, Mickey D’s, Burger King, Wendy’s and only then to Sonic, Checkers and the rest. I will say I do like both Krystal and White Castle as road food as I love the steamed sliders at both and the corn pups and little chili pups at Krystal. But neither are big enough to put on a national list imo.
There is a Blake's Lotaburger in Las Vegas, NM where my son is. We've never eaten there so I guess I will try it when we go down in the spring.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

I don’t get you love for Blake’s. I tried four different locations in Albuquerque while I lived there and it was hit or miss at best, mostly miss. The breakfast burritos with sausage, egg, cheese, hash browns and green chile were great though. When I lived in Alamogordo I went more often due to lack of options except Hi-De-Ho which had a better burger.

Agree on Milo’s. As a new resident in Alabama I enjoyed it. Going to a grocery store or Walmart I am shocked at the amount of Milo’s sweet tea they stock. Jack’s was meh but we will try it again.

Del Taco was my go to drive through taco place in Albuquerque when I didn’t go to a taco truck or a sit down restaurant. I didn’t go to Taco Bell again after discovering Del Taco.

I had no idea what a Krystal’s was until I moved to Prattville. Chicken sliders were mostly breading but the cheeseburger sliders are quite good, especially with the excessive amount of onions.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

A++
Culver checks boxes 1 and 2 but crinkle fries are a deal killer. You can get around it by ordering onion rings, but OP said it has to have good fries.

That one on Marquette street is awwwwwwful
Last time I went there, the menu TV's were having a software problem or something, so the lady at the counter gave me their coupon insert from the newspaper and told me to order something off of that.

When everything is in "working order", it is still the most inconsistent restaurantbusiness I've ever been to. Nobody that works there ever seems to know what the **** is going on.

My top for lunch/dinner would be Culvers. Hardees for breakfast.

Good food no doubt. I think they are not fully in the fast food category.
Where do you go? There's one here in Marion and CR I'll get food from and maybe wait 3 or 4 minutes unless there's an insane line then I skip it.

Last time I went there, the menu TV's were having a software problem or something, so the lady at the counter gave me their coupon insert from the newspaper and told me to order something off of that.

When everything is in "working order", it is still the most inconsistent restaurantbusiness I've ever been to. Nobody that works there ever seems to know what the **** is going on.

They are the anti-CFA at every one I've been to. Granted, I've only been to like 5 in my life, but each time it was slow AF, with questionable - at best - cleanliness.

Reactions: HawCory

The place is something else. In the few times I've been there, I've seen a manager in a fight with an employee in the parking lot and a guy smoking a blunt in the kitchen. Not to mention the crap food, long waits and incorrect orders. Can't see myself ever going back to that location again, though the entertainment value is high

Reactions: HawCory
What’s wrong with crinkle fries?
They do not taste good relative to other fries. McDonald's has perfected the "regular" fries, and other places have a nice seasoning on them. Perhaps I have a stigma attached to them because that is what was served with hot lunches in school, but I think of them as trailer park fries.

They do not taste good relative to other fries. McDonald's has perfected the "regular" fries, and other places have a nice seasoning on them. Perhaps I have a stigma attached to them because that is what was served with hot lunches in school, but I think of them as trailer park fries.
You have to get a side of mashed potatoes(with chicken gravy, preferably) and dip the crinkle fries in the mashed potatoes. Try this and then come back to this thread and give me my like.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Where do you go? There's one here in Marion and CR I'll get food from and maybe wait 3 or 4 minutes unless there's an insane line then I skip it.
Places where it’s practically the only decent drive through choice in town. Decorah, Prairie du Chien, Dodgeville, Spring Green. Probably has to do with the 6 people on each of my orders too.

Crinkle fries have more surface area for crispy goodness. I’m willing to entertain the notion that other types of fries are or can be better, but crinkle fries are neither trailer park fries nor a deal breaker.

Crinkle fries have more surface area for crispy goodness. I’m willing to entertain the notion that other types of fries are or can be better, but crinkle fries are neither trailer park fries nor a deal breaker.
In the spirit of compromise, I will say they are not a deal breaker in ordering from Culver's - as you can just get union rings instead - but if you have to order fries they are, for purposes of OP.

The place is something else. In the few times I've been there, I've seen a manager in a fight with an employee in the parking lot and a guy smoking a blunt in the kitchen. Not to mention the crap food, long waits and incorrect orders. Can't see myself ever going back to that location again, though the entertainment value is high
So it's an authentic West Davenport dining experience. You say that like it's a bad thing!

• Haha
Reactions: Hammer93 and Bro D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT