ADVERTISEMENT

Fast Food Unicorn

As a certified Chubby Hubby (TM) I think Chik-Fil-A sandwiches are too small.

Give me a fat Popeye's spicy chicken any day over CFA.

Or, and I’m just spit balling here, you could order 2 sandwiches …. or a sandwich and 5 nuggets … or a sandwich and 8 nuggets ….

We go occasionally and regret it soon afterward…convenience, that’s it.
An Egg McMuffin and cup of hot black coffee is a decent, fast, cheap pre-fishing trip grab-and-go, but that is literally the ONLY time I get McDonald's. Can't even remember the last time I had a burger there.

I don’t get you love for Blake’s. I tried four different locations in Albuquerque while I lived there and it was hit or miss at best, mostly miss. The breakfast burritos with sausage, egg, cheese, hash browns and green chile were great though. When I lived in Alamogordo I went more often due to lack of options except Hi-De-Ho which had a better burger.

Agree on Milo’s. As a new resident in Alabama I enjoyed it. Going to a grocery store or Walmart I am shocked at the amount of Milo’s sweet tea they stock. Jack’s was meh but we will try it again.

Del Taco was my go to drive through taco place in Albuquerque when I didn’t go to a taco truck or a sit down restaurant. I didn’t go to Taco Bell again after discovering Del Taco.

I had no idea what a Krystal’s was until I moved to Prattville. Chicken sliders were mostly breading but the cheeseburger sliders are quite good, especially with the excessive amount of onions.

Eh, there could be a difference between Blake’s Lotaburgers in the locations. I certainly find that to be true of Five Guys, some locations (in Tampa, Orlando and DC) have great burgers and some of the best fries around, but the two in Tallahassee have mediocre burgers and absolutely dreadful, soggy and limp fries. So maybe Albuquerque just has a bad franchiser running them. The ones I have been at in Alamagordo, El Paso, Carlsbad, Farmington and Roswell were all great.

Now keep in mind when I say great, I’m comparing it to Whataburger and other fast food chains, not so-called “fast casual” like Shake Shack and BurgerFi or real restaurants. Those will obviously beat even the best fast food. And I did have some on the socalled Turquoise trail in local diners that blows away Blake’s Lotaburger. But for fast food….it’s great.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
An Egg McMuffin and cup of hot black coffee is a decent, fast, cheap pre-fishing trip grab-and-go, but that is literally the ONLY time I get McDonald's. Can't even remember the last time I had a burger there.

Every once in awhile (usually if I’m traveling and there’s no better options) I’ll get a Big Mac or a Filet o Fish.. And that’s it. As an adult their chicken options are atrociously awful.

But I do like their egg McMuffin, sausage McMuffin and Bacon Egg and Cheese McGriddle.

I won't hate on their Egg McMuffins with sausage - that is my go to breakfast sandwich when traveling. I will also admit that when traveling and I am the one driving (99.9% of the time), we will hit McDonald's and I will get a couple of McDoubles, as they taste reasonably good and they are the least likely to spill anything on my lap while eating with one hand.

There was a time I would have entered Portillo's into this contest but my last encounter at the location in Maple Grove, MN was a bad one. The food was good but it has gotten extremely expensive and the wait time was too long.

I never liked the Egg McMuffin.

For breakfast sammiches, I opt for the BK sausage, egg and cheese crossandwiches. But even that's extremely rare.

Eh, there could be a difference between Blake’s Lotaburgers in the locations. I certainly find that to be true of Five Guys, some locations (in Tampa, Orlando and DC) have great burgers and some of the best fries around, but the two in Tallahassee have mediocre burgers and absolutely dreadful, soggy and limp fries. So maybe Albuquerque just has a bad franchiser running them. The ones I have been at in Alamagordo, El Paso, Carlsbad, Farmington and Roswell were all great.

Now keep in mind when I say great, I’m comparing it to Whataburger and other fast food chains, not so-called “fast casual” like Shake Shack and BurgerFi or real restaurants. Those will obviously beat even the best fast food. And I did have some on the socalled Turquoise trail in local diners that blows away Blake’s Lotaburger. But for fast food….it’s great.
Fair enough. A new Blake’s location opened up about five minutes from where I lived in Albuquerque about 8 months before we moved. Management and employees probably tried harder at that one and served a decent green chile Lotaburger. Considering the town I was in I had an abundant amount of choices for a better burger but in a pinch they sometimes came through.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
You or @FSUTribe76 or both have mentioned them in the past. My parents live in North Carolina and I always see them driving from the Charlotte airport up to Pinehurst. My kids are fried chicken lovers - need to make a point to stop there on our visit over Thanksgiving...

It’s really good Chicken although I like a couple of others better. But what’s absolutely great about them is all day breakfast. Getting some country ham biscuits, chicken biscuits, country fried steak biscuits or bacon egg and cheese biscuits at five o’clock along with maybe some Bo-berry Biscuits (blueberry biscuits slathered in a ton of hot vanilla cream sauce) Is close to perfection.

Bojangles - really good chicken, great fries and solidly priced.
Now with the pic below, I have to say I would not expect the fries to be good. They look too big to be crispy. The biscuit on the other hand, looks fantastic...

BojanglesMeal_Lead.jpg

Last edited:
It’s really good Chicken although I like a couple of others better. But what’s absolutely great about them is all day breakfast. Getting some country ham biscuits, chicken biscuits, country fried steak biscuits or bacon egg and cheese biscuits at five o’clock along with maybe some Bo-berry Biscuits (blueberry biscuits slathered in a ton of hot vanilla cream sauce) Is close to perfection.
Based on my pic/post comment on the biscuit, and your post, looks like the biscuits are legit!

What is your thoughts on Huey Magoo’s? A step up from Zaxby’s imo. I only been to Caines once and yet to eat at Bojangles.

I’m not sure they put burgers on the buns anyMore as small as they had gotten the last time I went there. The big Mac should be downgraded to the Mac

Hey @FSUTribe76 --- since you are posting in this thread, thought I'd get your thoughts on edible fungi.

Mrs. Torbee and I ran into a cool hippie couple that run a "mushroomery" at a farmer's market last Sunday and I bought some "chicken of the woods" mushrooms.

For those unfamiliar, they look like this in the wild:

51RDlUQAkxL._AC_.jpg

And they are quite tasty and really DO have the consistency of chicken.

Anyway, the hippie dude told me the way he makes them is simple pan frying, making sure to cover the pan to prevent the moisture from depleting and allowing the shrooms to dry out.

Last night I tried the technique --- broke the shrooms up into four pieces about the size of a big chicken thigh -- slathered them with butter, put a little salt and pepper on them and pan fried them in more butter for about 5 minutes a side. They turned out quite nice, but a little bit lacking in pizzazz and flavor.

Any tips on how to spice up the preparation (literally)?

Hey @FSUTribe76 --- since you are posting in this thread, thought I'd get your thoughts on edible fungi.

Mrs. Torbee and I ran into a cool hippie couple that run a "mushroomery" at a farmer's market last Sunday and I bought some "chicken of the woods" mushrooms.

51RDlUQAkxL._AC_.jpg

Anyway, the hippie dude told me the way he makes them is simple pan frying, making sure to cover the pan to prevent the moisture from depleting and allowing the shrooms to dry out.

Last night I tried the technique --- broke the shrooms up into four pieces about the size of a big chicken thigh -- slathered them with butter, put a little salt and pepper on them and pan fried them in more butter for about 5 minutes a side. They turned out quite nice, but a little bit lacking in pizzazz and flavor.

jason-momoa-chair.gif

The biscuits are a difference maker for me. They’re always spot on.

51RDlUQAkxL._AC_.jpg

I’ve never gone shroom hunting myself even though a few of them are easily recognizable. I believe chicken of the woods has no lookalikes so I’d probably take some of those in the wild, but I also know there are morel, chantarelles and indigo milkcaps all have lookalikes that can melt your liver and rot your brain assuming you even survive.

I took a number of wild foraging classes with the Dean of Green at Eat the Weeds and he had a quick little aside for amateurs who want to mushroom hunt. He said, “Mycology is a self-regulating profession.” In other words, if you’re careless or get it wrong, you’re dead. So he never forages for mushrooms, just greens, tubers, fruits, lichens, etc…. It’s much safer as there are very few deadly poisonous plants and a ton of deadly poisonous mushrooms.

I have had a lot of unusual mushrooms due to grow your own mushroom kits, an Asian store that Carries A ton of dried and fresh mushrooms that mainstream white grocery stores do not carry and a farmer’s market booth with a professional mycologist who does forage local morels, pecan truffles and other wild mushrooms. And my opinion is that chicken of the woods is just…kinda meh.

My favorites are Eringi or “King Oyster Mushroom“ which had a firm flesh unlike most oyster mushrooms, are very large and easy to utilize (typically one Is the size of a zucchini). It’s got a great, sweet seafood flavor more like scallop or perfectly cooked octopus than “oysters”.

vegan-scallops-king-oyster-mushrooms-being-held-1024x768.jpg

I’m also a huge fan of black trumpet mushrooms, they have a sweet blue cheese funk to them. They work FANTASTIC as a mushroom gravy for steaks especially long dry Aged beef that has a blue cheese funk anyways.

black-trumpets-2.jpg

But the mushroom I buy the most is either the brown or white beech mushroom also called shimeji because our Asian market sells them so cheaply (literally $2 for a big quart container filled with them) and they stay plump and not rotten in the fridge for weeks. They have a slightly bitter flavor various Asian cultures actually appreciate when raw but when cooked they lose the bitterness and just taste faintly of cashews regardless of color. They’re also harvested little, about the size of a pinky finger so they’re basically already perfect eating size when cut from the “roots” and look great in soups and stir fries. I use them in almost every Thai curry I make regardless of what type of curry or what else is in it. Don’t confuse them with the even smaller and leggier enoki which I find too bland to be worth messing with.
ClamshellsMushrooms-5b393d2cc9e77c0037511d11.jpg

White-Beech-New-e1654556794593.jpg

And I do like Morels and pecan truffles when at restaurants or a trusted mycologist has picked them, but I would never hunt them myself and as a result they are pricy. I’ve grown various colored oyster mushrooms and lion mane mushrooms at home and they’re good as well and you can take pride in growing them yourself but I prefer the other three plus morels and pecan truffles that I mentioned above. I seldom use generic Pennyslvania white mushrooms or portobellos/criminis as they’re too bland for me to normally mess with but I had a striking revelation recently about three weeks ago. I went to a low country boil recently in Tallahassee and in addition to the usual shrimp, sausage, potatoes, onion and corn they added a bunch of white and baby Bella’s/criminis to the boil. And they were wonderful, completely soaking up the flavorful “broth”/”brine” of the boil and all that goodness the sausage and shrimp leaked out. They were better than the shrimp! So I might need to reevaluate using them, at least when I do my own low country shrimp or crawfish boil.

As far as hen of the woods, as I mentioned they are a perfectly fine…even average mushroom, but I don’t buy it that often (I do see it all the time in the woods and even shady spots downtown in Tallahassee) Because the flavor doesn’t equal the price imo. But when I do get them I season them similar to bland chicken breast so I put a fine sprinkle of Spice Island yellow Curry Powder, some Badia poultry seasoning and a little Cavender’s seasoning and then sauté them in garlic butter. They turn out relatively “chickeny” when handled that way and taste great over rice especially a Cuban yellow rice Or a long grain mixed with wild rice.

As a certified Chubby Hubby (TM) I think Chik-Fil-A sandwiches are too small.

Give me a fat Popeye's spicy chicken any day over CFA.
It's actually a reasonable knock on CFA. It could be bigger, and there's no option for a larger sandwich. It's not really on brand for them but they should have a large sandwich, which would obviously be...

The Fat Chik

Tbh The food is just good, not great, but the service is first class in fast food, and the kids love it, so it's an easy compromise.

Last edited:
I’ve never gone shroom hunting myself even though a few of them are easily recognizable. I believe chicken of the woods has no lookalikes so I’d probably take some of those in the wild, but I also know there are morel, chantarelles and indigo milkcaps all have lookalikes that can melt your liver and rot your brain assuming you even survive.

I took a number of wild foraging classes with the Dean of Green at Eat the Weeds and he had a quick little aside for amateurs who want to mushroom hunt. He said, “Mycology is a self-regulating profession.” In other words, if you’re careless or get it wrong, you’re dead. So he never forages for mushrooms, just greens, tubers, fruits, lichens, etc…. It’s much safer as there are very few deadly poisonous plants and a ton of deadly poisonous mushrooms.

I have had a lot of unusual mushrooms due to grow your own mushroom kits, an Asian store that Carries A ton of dried and fresh mushrooms that mainstream white grocery stores do not carry and a farmer’s market booth with a professional mycologist who does forage local morels, pecan truffles and other wild mushrooms. And my opinion is that chicken of the woods is just…kinda meh.

My favorites are Eringi or “King Oyster Mushroom“ which had a firm flesh unlike most oyster mushrooms, are very large and easy to utilize (typically one Is the size of a zucchini). It’s got a great, sweet seafood flavor more like scallop or perfectly cooked octopus than “oysters”.

I’m also a huge fan of black trumpet mushrooms, they have a sweet blue cheese funk to them. They work FANTASTIC as a mushroom gravy for steaks especially long dry Aged beef that has a blue cheese funk anyways.

black-trumpets-2.jpg

But the mushroom I buy the most is either the brown or white beech mushroom also called shimeji because our Asian market sells them so cheaply (literally $2 for a big quart container filled with them) and they stay plump and not rotten in the fridge for weeks. They have a slightly bitter flavor various Asian cultures actually appreciate when raw but when cooked they lose the bitterness and just taste faintly of cashews regardless of color. They’re also harvested little, about the size of a pinky finger so they’re basically already perfect eating size when cut from the “roots” and look great in soups and stir fries. I use them in almost every Thai curry I make regardless of what type of curry or what else is in it. Don’t confuse them with the even smaller and leggier enoki which I find too bland to be worth messing with.

And I do like Morels and pecan truffles when at restaurants or a trusted mycologist has picked them, but I would never hunt them myself and as a result they are pricy. I’ve grown various colored oyster mushrooms and lion mane mushrooms at home and they’re good as well and you can take pride in growing them yourself but I prefer the other three plus morels and pecan truffles that I mentioned above. I seldom use generic Pennyslvania white mushrooms or portobellos/criminis as they’re too bland for me to normally mess with but I had a striking revelation recently about three weeks ago. I went to a low country boil recently in Tallahassee and in addition to the usual shrimp, sausage, potatoes, onion and corn they added a bunch of white and baby Bella’s/criminis to the boil. And they were wonderful, completely soaking up the flavorful “broth”/”brine” of the boil and all that goodness the sausage and shrimp leaked out. They were better than the shrimp! So I might need to reevaluate using them, at least when I do my own low country shrimp or crawfish boil.

As far as hen of the woods, as I mentioned they are a perfectly fine…even average mushroom, but I don’t buy it that often (I do see it all the time in the woods and even shady spots downtown in Tallahassee) Because the flavor doesn’t equal the price imo. But when I do get them I season them similar to bland chicken breast so I put a fine sprinkle of Spice Island yellow Curry Powder, some Badia poultry seasoning and a little Cavender’s seasoning and then sauté them in garlic butter. They turn out relatively “chickeny” when handled that way and taste great over rice especially a Cuban yellow rice Or a long grain mixed with wild rice.
God damn you know a lot about food.

black-trumpets-2.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Also thought about sautéing them in a white wine as well, mjhjt try that.

I also love those beech shrooms. HyVee usually has them in the “fancy” produce section.

black-trumpets-2.jpg

There are bold mushroom hunters and there are old mushroom hunters, but there are no bold old mushroom hunters.

What is your thoughts on Huey Magoo’s? A step up from Zaxby’s imo. I only been to Caines once and yet to eat at Bojangles.

Surprisingly, I haven’t been to Huey Magoo’s even though there are a decent amount scattered around Florida and Georgia. Of those I’ve been to, I would rate them:

1) Guthries,
2) Spanky’s
3) Chubby’s
4) Slim Chickens
5) Raising Caine’s
6) Foosackly’s
7) Gus Fried Chicken
8) Krispy Krunchy
9) Abner’s
10) Zaxby’s
11) Zaccadoo’s
12) Popeyes
13) Bojangles
14) Church’s
15) KFC
16) CFA
17) PDQ

I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple tenders only or fried chicken places that have tenders restaurants along the way that I’ve been to. But that’s my memories of the last four or five years worth of chicken tenders. I do NOT get the love for PDQ. I’ve been four times to that Timmeh Teabag and other Gator owned place in multiple locations and twice they obviously burned something in the fryer and didn’t bother to change oil and always they were dry and bland with bad sauces.

I will say that I think Chubby’s, Spanky’s and Raising Caine’s have slightly better chicken than Guthries USUALLY as they are all hit Or miss depending on the skill of the mIn wage fry cook and how long they’ve been sitting. But Guthries has the best sauce by far: I could literally drink It, it’s that good.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
When I think overpriced and overrated the 2nd place that comes to mind is Culver’s (Panera is #1).

Chic-Fil-A is fine, but since it doesn’t actually cure cancer it is (by technical definition) overrated

McDs was the first that came to mind… fries is what makes it a riddle… clears the field of many “properly rated” sandwich places

When I think overpriced and overrated the 2nd place that comes to mind is Culver’s (Panera is #1).

Chic-Fil-A is fine, but since it doesn’t actually cure cancer it is (by technical definition) overrated

McDs was the first that came to mind… fries is what makes it a riddle… clears the field of many “properly rated” sandwich places
I don't understand how Panera is still a thing. Their food sucks, bagels are okay and the prices are insane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT