ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Bar in Iowa City

We loved The Que too. They had some dirt cheap pitchers ($1-2) on some weekday nights. I also liked Sam's Pizza at their new and old locations. It was fun playing pool at their old location as you were basically putting your cue in some booths to take a shot. I met my wife at Joes.

Reactions: 2bagger22
We loved The Que too. They had some dirt cheap pitchers ($1-2) on some weekday nights. I also liked Sam's Pizza at their new and old locations. It was fun playing pool at their old location as you were basically putting your cue in some booths to take a shot. I met my wife at Joes.

Met my wife at The Que. Knew all the bartenders, the owner...great place.
A shame what the City Council did to that business.

I've still got some old Que cups. I think it was refills for a quarter on Wednesdays or something. Good times...

Reactions: CAhawki
One Eyed Jakes. Get bombed downstairs, go upstairs and do some clubbin'. Oh, and try not to fall down the 30-40 step staircase when leaving the place.

Reactions: hoks2415
As a very,very young kid VFW 2581. In high school the old hawk,the litehouse , and shannons(north liberty).In college joes,liner,lil bills,georges,foxhead,last chance,depot lunch,annex,hawks nest,speeds,Kinney’s,kennedys,kesslers, Marv’s ye cozy,red ram(Rathskeller),coral shores,wagon wheel,sportsman lounge(dugout),two way inn,Walt’s,michaels, and the stardust. Yes, I’m still looking for a liver!

As a very,very young kid VFW 2581. In high school the old hawk,the litehouse , and shannons(north liberty).In college joes,liner,lil bills,georges,foxhead,last chance,depot lunch,annex,hawks nest,speeds,Kinney’s,kennedys,kesslers, Marv’s ye cozy,red ram(Rathskeller),coral shores,wagon wheel,sportsman lounge(dugout),two way inn,Walt’s,michaels, and the stardust. Yes, I’m still looking for a liver!
Ok, but what is your favorite?

You're old. Sound almost as old as me. I transferred from ISU in the fall of '67 and graduated in August '69.

I spent a fair amount of time at Kennedy's. Odd thing....that place was always busy, and a golfing buddy of mine was at Iowa the same time I was (didn't know each other then), and drank ALL the time, and when I mentioned Kennedy's, he'd never heard of it. And his name is Kennedy.

I lived for a little over a year in a house in Coralville next door to the Wagon Wheel, which was a nice neighborhood-type place, and only a couple of blocks from the Sportsman/Dugout.

Only went to Etc. because my roommate worked there. That place was a dump. The urinal see-through wall was lame, not sure why anyone thought it was cool.

Spent lots of time at Brothers, DCs to cheer against the Blackhawks, Sam's pizza after intramural bball, vine for boulevard steins, pints when friends wanted (very meh bar but nothing bad about it), and airliner. 808 and one eyed Jake's was where I spent much of my freshman year.

Whenever I'm going through on trips from Chicago I'll stop at the airliner for slices on Sunday. Not the same without the fellas but still great to reminisce

I always felt most at home at The Green Room (RIP). Close second was The Deadwood was always my favorite, especially the big round "mafia" booth in the corner. My mom (no pic) tended bar there on its opening night. Runners up include Gabe's, The Mill, The Vine (IC), Dublin Underground.
Still like hitting the Dublin Underground as well

Maybe the coldest beer in IC. We went there a bit my senior year until a woman was run over by a car in the parking lot during a dispute. The blue collar nature wasn’t quite as appealing afterwards.
Whaaaat? Go on.

It needed to be put out of it's misery about a year before it finally died. It was disgusting in there, and I don't very high standards.

Proof: I like to go to The Job Site and Grizzlies at least 3 or 4 times a year.
The Job Site sounds like a gay bar, NTTAWWT.

Whaaaat? Go on.

We weren't there when it happened but it wasn't much of a shock.

IOWA CITY — A 50-year-old Iowa City woman faces a charge of vehicular homicide after police said she hit and killed her friend with a truck.

Miranda Lalla, who remains in the Johnson County Jail, was arrested June 17 on suspicion of operating while intoxicated. Iowa City police had been called to 315 E. First St. that night for a report of a motor vehicle accident with injuries. When officers arrived at 7:18 p.m., they learned that Lalla and Pamela Gross, 44, of Iowa City, had been involved in a physical altercation.

After the physical portion of the fight, Lalla is accused of getting into her Dodge Ram pickup to leave, according to police. Her driver’s side door was open, and Gross was standing next to the truck between the passenger compartment and the door when Lalla started reversing, police said. Gross was knocked to the ground and run over, causing her death, police reported.

Lalla told investigators that she had been at the Jobsite bar in Iowa City having “a few beers that evening,” according to a criminal complaint. She said she drove a friend home, and they began to fight in the parking lot, the complaint said.

Lalla showed measurable impairment when performing standardized field sobriety tests after the accident, and officers tested her blood alcohol content level at the scene at 0.093 percent. The legal limit to drive in Iowa is 0.08 percent.

She later refused chemical testing, according to police, but investigators obtained a search warrant for a blood test. Toxicology results are pending.

Link

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT