ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz on the Offensive Line

hawkeyeguy69

HB All-American
Oct 1, 2001
I read this quote on Hawkcentral, and it made me ponder the thought. Has KF ever made this comment before to directly on unit at this early in the season? I do not think he has, unless they were good to above average. It is overwhelmingly neutral or the opposite, saying "we have a ways to go yet".

"There's no question that they're going to be very good players," Ferentz said.

Good players, Good unit.

I am probably reading too much into this, but it does sound rather optimistic for KF, especially at this point in the season... Thoughts on that?

If he is right, then we could be looking at a fun year for the Hawks. I dream of an above average running game again... Heck, I'd take average!

Reactions: kyle23
I read this quote on Hawkcentral, and it made me ponder the thought. Has KF ever made this comment before to directly on unit at this early in the season? I do not think he has, unless they were good to above average. It is overwhelmingly neutral or the opposite, saying "we have a ways to go yet".

Good players, Good unit.

I am probably reading too much into this, but it does sound rather optimistic for KF, especially at this point in the season... Thoughts on that?

If he is right, then we could be looking at a fun year for the Hawks. I dream of an above average running game again... Heck, I'd take average!

I'll play devils advocate and say that the above quote is in reference to Iowa's inexperienced tackles and that KF realizes that there will be growing pains with the 2/3 tackles that see the field. Eventually those 2/3 tackles will be very good, but out of the gate they will probably struggle a bit.

Reactions: nu2u
I'll play devils advocate and say that the above quote is in reference to Iowa's inexperienced tackles and that KF realizes that there will be growing pains with the 2/3 tackles that see the field. Eventually those 2/3 tackles will be very good, but out of the gate they will probably struggle a bit.
This was my take. I don't think any of us would question his ability to make any OL good eventually, but whatever those growing pains are, the scoreboard better reflect W's.

True concerns for the OL, but having real RB's back in the rotation should be a huge plus this year. Part of KF's criticism is b/c of his love affair with Weisman. After a bail out performance his Sophomore year, he rewarded him 2 more sub par years that cost our offensive production. Daniels and the rotation should be a nice and exciting change.

Reactions: nu2u
True concerns for the OL, but having real RB's back in the rotation should be a huge plus this year. Part of KF's criticism is b/c of his love affair with Weisman. After a bail out performance his Sophomore year, he rewarded him 2 more sub par years that cost our offensive production. Daniels and the rotation should be a nice and exciting change.

Be fair to Weisman and KF. There was not a lot of options to go to last year....which is ultimately, KF's fault. But don't keep putting down Weisman. Everyone, including Weisman, knew he was a fullback. Great man, great Hawkeye.

Good players, Good unit.

That’s great, Coach, but when? Sometime before the Minnesota game? This season? Before the NFL Combine?

Reactions: lenoxhawks
That’s great, Coach, but when? Sometime before the Minnesota game? This season? Before the NFL Combine?
We can only hope it will be sometime this season. Out of the gate, I expect lots of issues that will make games against the so-called early cream puffs a real struggle.

If you have ever coached athletes (or managed newbies e.g.) you know that you never know the exact answer to that question in advance.. It would be foolish to try to give a precise answer

As a coach and mentor, you can make informed guesses and/or project timelines but some athletes/people progress quickly and exceed expectations and others lag behind. The matter is further complicated by the nature of progression itself. Improvement is usually not linear but staggered or intermittent. The "two steps forward, one step backward" adage normally applies.

If you have ever coached athletes (or managed newbies e.g.) you know that you never know the exact answer to that question in advance.. It would be foolish to try to give a precise answer

As a coach and mentor, you can make informed guesses and/or project timelines but some athletes/people progress quickly and exceed expectations and others lag behind. The matter is further complicated by the nature of progression itself. Improvement is usually not linear but staggered or intermittent. The "two steps forward, one step backward" adage normally applies.

I guess one nice factor to help them and gain experience is who do they face in non conf that has really good DEs? Not sure about Pitt but ISU and n Texas don't have much there. They don't face premier ends in Big 10 with Calhoun and bosa. Could it be reasonable to say Ott in practice maybe one of best DE they face all year?

Also thinking glass half full for first game is seeing what Ott did during scrimmage. Ill st breaking in new LT so hopefully be in their backfield all day.

Wasn't the OL inexperienced the year a unknown RB named Shonn Greene ran for 1800+ yards?
For that 2008 season, Bulaga, Calloway, and Olsen were returning "full-time" starters. Vandervelde and Eubanks were returning "part-time" starters. Bruggeman was the big surprise, beating out Eubanks for the starting center spot. He ended up being one of the better centers we've produced ... although, through the season there were some QB-C exchange issues that led to untimely turnovers.

Bulaga started at OG in '07 and shifted over to LT. Thus, he was new to LT in '08. Olsen had previously been all over the place in terms of position ... but he ended up moving back to OG, where he belonged. Bruggeman probably would have won the starting C spot in '07, however an injury took him out before the season started. Eubanks and Vandervelde ended up sharing time at the remaining OG spot.

In '07, Calloway was essentially a human turnstile. So it is to his great credit that he developed into a real road-grader for us at RT. He really made a huge leap from '07 to '08. In addition to Shonn Greene simply being a beast ... it didn't hurt to have OTs like Bulaga and Calloway ... opposing Ds had to worry about Iowa being able to run with success to either side.

In '08, Iowa didn't have many multi-year starters, but we DID return a lot of guys who had seen career starts and/or quality snaps. The surprising thing about '08 was simply that Olsen was our lone Senior with starting experience. Bruggeman's emergence that season (as a senior) was HUGE. Otherwise, Vandervelde and Bulaga were each just SOs and Calloway and Eubanks were just JRs.

Reactions: Pepperman and beanT

Good players, Good unit.

In KF-speak, "they're going to be very good players" = "we have a ways to go".

It's a distinction without a difference.

We don't know how 2014 would have played out. Both Daniels and Canzeri were injured much of the 2014 season.

The First TD of 2014 was not Weisman, but actually Daniels from 13 yards out against UNI.

Iowa played 5 RBs in the first series, with Parker playing very early. Injuries played a role in 2014.

Reactions: ichawk24
I'd think hes quite old, and doesn't carry a lot of weight....are we really that shallow at OL this year?

Reactions: MadDogC
There is one possibility that most haven't entertained... He said it because he believes it. Of course, KF knows very little about offensive linemen compared to the experts on this board, right?

This is why I am hoping BF demanded the job of Running Game Coordinator, to take all responsibility from his dad. "Sorry dad, but we are playing an actual running back today. Now, go eat your Cheesy Poofs." Ridiculous have the last 3 years been.

A Dad saying good things about a position his son coaches? Go figure.

Nice. Yeah we are probably doomed, and CJ will be covered in dirt. At least for first half of the season.

Creativity may be all that can save our offense this season. And I would rather not count on GD for that. CJ may have to prove he is far better than we expected (and I expect him to be good). He will be running a lot this year.

Yeah unless they start taking some of those steroids that all the Wisconsin and Ohio State and Michigan and Minnesota and Iowa State fans accused our 2002 OL (and team) of taking to become the nasty beasts that they were................then this year's OL is gonna suck something fierce.

There is one possibility that most haven't entertained... He said it because he believes it. Of course, KF knows very little about offensive linemen compared to the experts on this board, right?

He also believes in GD so there may be a chance that he doesn't want to admit to possible misses or poor choices.

Reactions: MadDogC
Yeah unless they start taking some of those steroids that all the Wisconsin and Ohio State and Michigan and Minnesota and Iowa State fans accused our 2002 OL (and team) of taking to become the nasty beasts that they were................then this year's OL is gonna suck something fierce.

That's a thing?

His statement is a combination of:

1. turning over a new leaf with the media after his "that's football" "ebb and flow" hiccup. Trying to be more open and forthright about his team. More positive. Opening up Fort Kinnick somewhat.

2. Starting last year, KF seemed to make a concerted effort to change his public "aww shucks, were just little old iowa" schtick. It has been subtle but if you listen closely, it is there. some of that is maybe psychological for his young guys but I also think it is also a bit of marketing IMO.

3. I really do think we will see more success in the running game. For several reasons:

-Beathard has much more big play ability with his arm and feet.
-I think GD will take more shots as well which will help open up the running game some. Just out of pure respect for it. even if we don't have huge successes, it still has to be accounted for.
-We still have a pretty experienced interior line. Run blocking is easier to learn for tackles than pass blocking too.
-Our RB core is light years better this year than last. More speed. Still some power.
-They are going to be moving Tevaun Smith around to other spots instead of just one position/spot. It will make matchups much more difficult. they will also take shots with him.
-I think Derick Mitchell will be a weapon by later in the year and they will move him around to exploit LB's.

Optimism? sure. but those aren't just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks.

We are seeing a new KF program IMO. It might take a bit to see the full results of this transformation but IMO, it is in the works.

Lot's of positives surrounding the program internally, despite the negative parts of the fan base.

Heck, look at what we have returning in 2016. Iowa could be really good. Yes, need to replace Tevaun Smith, who I think could be the best WR in the B10....but I've heard really good things about the freshmen. Austin Blythe will be tough to replace as well but Daniels is a stud.

The glass is 3/4 IMO

Steroids accusations
Yes, I've seen fans from every one of those teams accuse the 2002 team, particularly the OL, of taking steroids and it playing a big part in their success that year. Iowa State and Wisconsin fans in particular. Of course they also run away afterwards, so it usually ends up being "much ado"....

His statement is a combination of:

1. turning over a new leaf with the media after his "that's football" "ebb and flow" hiccup. Trying to be more open and forthright about his team. More positive. Opening up Fort Kinnick somewhat.

2. Starting last year, KF seemed to make a concerted effort to change his public "aww shucks, were just little old iowa" schtick. It has been subtle but if you listen closely, it is there. some of that is maybe psychological for his young guys but I also think it is also a bit of marketing IMO.

3. I really do think we will see more success in the running game. For several reasons:

-Beathard has much more big play ability with his arm and feet.
-I think GD will take more shots as well which will help open up the running game some. Just out of pure respect for it. even if we don't have huge successes, it still has to be accounted for.
-We still have a pretty experienced interior line. Run blocking is easier to learn for tackles than pass blocking too.
-Our RB core is light years better this year than last. More speed. Still some power.
-They are going to be moving Tevaun Smith around to other spots instead of just one position/spot. It will make matchups much more difficult. they will also take shots with him.
-I think Derick Mitchell will be a weapon by later in the year and they will move him around to exploit LB's.

Optimism? sure. but those aren't just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks.

We are seeing a new KF program IMO. It might take a bit to see the full results of this transformation but IMO, it is in the works.

Lot's of positives surrounding the program internally, despite the negative parts of the fan base.

Heck, look at what we have returning in 2016. Iowa could be really good. Yes, need to replace Tevaun Smith, who I think could be the best WR in the B10....but I've heard really good things about the freshmen. Austin Blythe will be tough to replace as well but Daniels is a stud.

The glass is 3/4 IMO

Excellent post! A week away from kickoff and it's time for some positive thoughts. Although this OL may struggle this year especially early on, they could be really good next year when the Paulsen's, Waechter and Newborg are ready to add depth. Daniels will have to slide to center but Render could move over to guard and hopefully Reynolds will be ready to contribute also. The 3 young OT's will be back bigger and stronger next year and should have some of the redshirt freshman listed above pushing them for PT and Welch will be back at one guard spot. This could be a pretty salty group.

Yes, I've seen fans from every one of those teams accuse the 2002 team, particularly the OL, of taking steroids and it playing a big part in their success that year. Iowa State and Wisconsin fans in particular. Of course they also run away afterwards, so it usually ends up being "much ado"....
I know someone that has accused Bob Sanders of steroids due to his injury history, but never the entire or OL. Crazy.

The truth is last year's line was not the problem on offense. There were holes in the running game we just didn't have someone in the backfield that could exploit them. There was protection in the passing game as Rudock was rarely under immediate pressure. he was just too hesitant to pull the trigger and make a play unless the risk/benefit ratio was ideal. And by the time he had made his calculation it was too late. I think we will be improved at both positions this year which will help make up for some possible early struggles on the line.

A few years ago I ran into somebody from Erie who knew a lot about Bob back when he was in high school ... word had it that Bob was just an athletic freak, even back then. One story told, recounted that a big crowd of fellow players and/or students were surrounding Bob ... the word eventually spread to the coach ... and he went to check it out. It turned out that Bob was doing one-legged back-flips. I cannot remember all the details of the story ... but I think that Bob may have dinged his other leg ... but that wasn't stopping him from showing off a little bit. I think it pissed off the coach because he didn't want Bob to injure his other leg.

Anyhow, the same person I was talking to was effusive about Bob ... especially stating how impressive Bob was, even without taking any performance enhancers. I doubt the guy knew anything for sure ... but he seemed pretty convinced that Bob was clean. Combine that with the fact that Coach Doyle would never endorse any such "shortcuts" ... I doubt that the Iowa players did any of that stuff (at least with the staff knowing about it). When guys do stuff like that ... those are the same guys who end up in the "dog house."

Reactions: Cougar63
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT