ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz & Recruiting...

Everything you just mentioned, all ADs and HC have the same responsibility across the country. It's not a GB or KF pedistal looking down thing.

Penny operation....Might want to stay away from slander. Makes you look inferior. You also don't know me, let's stick to the subject.
Wouldn't it be libel?

Glad you look at it that way, as usual, but both Missouri and our NEW staff did move on from Garbutt, that's why you got him at the last minute, his fall back plan!

Then you better worry about your coaches evaluations skills because Garbutt is a stud. That is assuming what you are saying is true.

Quotation-Hayden-Fry-life-death-hate-Meetville-Quotes-270192.jpg

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
At what point do we as fans become concerned with this recruiting class? I personally think Ferentz will be done after this year.

Simple fact, Garbutt was dropped, IA was the backup plan.

I love how Nebraska fans ALWAYS say this about recruits when they don't pick Nebraska. It happens every year and they say the same thing in reference as "the offer was no longer there, the coaching staff cooled on him, etc...". Truth is the majority of the people saying that stuff on your board are blowhards and nothing more.

Edds was a TE that was switched to LEO, strange how that worked out, Ballard was a TE that KF switched to DE the moved him to DT. Roth another player that KF switched from LB to DE and look at how that turned out, recently he took Reiff from SD and moved him from DE to LT and he turned out just fine by being drafted in the 1st rnd as a RSJR.

Scherff was a lowly rated player out of IA that just was named the outland trophy winner and was the #5 pick in the draft. Hitchen was lowly ranked RB who ended being moved to LB and ended up a 4th round pick.

who will be the next recruit to do this who knows, Boettger the new tackle was a QB for 3 years then moved to TE/DE and ended up a 1st All State DE, and was a starter on his HS BB team, when he came in was to be a TE, now he is a Tackle it will be interesting to see how he turns out, as for the incoming FR the 3 WR's are being talked about as for players to make a push for playing time.

TX top 100 Smith
TX Ogwo a JR Olympic Sprinter
FLA Falconer who as a JR caught 55 passes for 714 yards and 5 TD's then as a SR caught just 53 passes for 951 yards and 7 TD's this while splitting catches with his teammate who committed to Boise ST.

that is not polishing a turd nor is it sugar coating, those are the facts. IA needed game breakers at the WR position and went out and got them from 2 talent rich states that produce top Skill players, even if they RS those are/will be the ones ready to step in for these 3 SR's

Smith the teams leading in yards
Hillyer
Stone a JUCO transfer from IWCC.

PS Kennedy in his 1st year as the new WR coach was the leading recruiter for both Smith and Ogwo. so to make any assumption on the ability of the NEW coaches at this time borders on insanity.

Kilroy let's be honest you are the king of polishing turds. Point and case Smith. Who I think will be good at Iowa but you brag him up as a top 100 recruit, not nationally but the state of Texas.

Also stop fabricating and try and post accurate information when trying to make a point. Last year was Kennedy's 2nd season not 1st at Iowa-

PS Kennedy in his 1st year as the new WR coach was the leading recruiter for both Smith and Ogwo. so to make any assumption on the ability of the NEW coaches at this time borders on insanity

KENNEDY'S COACHING CAREER
Iowa WR, 2013-present
Colorado WR, 2011-12
Texas WR, 2004-10

You can insert almost any schools name into the 'school pulled offer', 'didn't really want him' 'was a fallback anyway' when a recruit goes elsewhere.

Ok I'll bite. So Barta has ONE NCAA win in bball, ONE tourney invite in baseball, and a trainwreck in football who he has publicly supported KF and gave a 75% buyout. A trainwreck ongoing 6 years now. I would like to understand why this average AD would even have a job? The more I think about this, the worse it becomes.

Sorry just not buying it. Barta needs to go. The guy has made plenty of money while being below average or the worst in the Big Ten vs his peers.

Don't wanna be too pedantic, but a "train wreck" ongoing six years now? 2009 was six seasons ago, and Iowa won the Orange Bowl and finished #9 in the country. 2010, they were 7-2 and ranked 13th, when they lost Stanzi, and lost the last three games by a total of 10 pts. Then beat a ranked Missouri team in the bowl game. The last four seasons have not been great by any means, but I guess I just don't understand how all this could be defined as a train wreck.

Don't wanna be too pedantic, but a "train wreck" ongoing six years now? 2009 was six seasons ago, and Iowa won the Orange Bowl and finished #9 in the country. 2010, they were 7-2 and ranked 13th, when they lost Stanzi, and lost the last three games by a total of 10 pts. Then beat a ranked Missouri team in the bowl game. The last four seasons have not been great by any means, but I guess I just don't understand how all this could be defined as a train wreck.

Stanzi wasn't out the final three regular season games during the 2010 collapse. He was injured in 2009.

now you know what the Missouri staff does or not do, Missouri was never in on him till AFTER he decommitted from Oregon St, so I doubt they backed off right after offering, chap you keep telling your self that if it makes you feel better.

It's not that hard to follow along. Mizzou offered Garbutt as a backup plan towards the end of last years recruiting cycle. Terez Hall was the OLB both Mizzou/Nebraska coveted. He committed and Mizzou closed their LB'er recruiting. Garbutt committed to Iowa.

As for Garbutt and Nebraska, I don't know what really happened there. Doesn't matter. You win some, you lose some. Wish Garbutt well at Iowa. He was a solid recruit.

Seems like whenever we've had a coach with a long tenure like Hayden Fry, 19 years, Tom Davis, 13 years, Kirk Ferentz, 16 years - they grew tired of the recruiting grind and quit making a real effort their last years. Hayden left the cupboard bare, Tom had a bunch of in-state "talent", and who knows what Kirk is doing? Time for a change?

With all due respect, HF's 97 team was a good team. That was the last class he promised he would still be there for. A lot of players left when KF came in, so it wasn't all HF fault. Then he left after the 4-8 debacle of 98. Tom Davis goes to the Sweet 16 and gets fired? Davis got screwed and Iowa Basketball paid for it....shady dealings with him! KF is not a good coach, the coaches who got him where is are gone. He is not finding equal or better replacements for the ones leaving. I also believe the style of play is boring, it will be hard to consistently find great players to come here and play slow ball. It is just boring! I think it is time for a change, even Joe pa at 100 years old could play fun football....

Reactions: The Outside Noise
Stanzi wasn't out the final three regular season games during the 2010 collapse. He was injured in 2009.
I apologize, you are correct, and I was wrong. My main thesis I still stand by, but I should have made certain of that fact.

Thanks, Burbank84.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT