ADVERTISEMENT

Fight Night

My point still stands. I would have rather seen Tom or Terry up there talking shit rather than Gilman..they have at least the right to talk to former Hawkeye greats that way..

So it sounds right now that if Gilman were to retire, that they'd be pretty darn even. (If you ignore the fact that Gilman made the NCAA finals and Zadick never did).

He was on a team that one a team title (Gilman didn't).. both are 3x AAs.. both have a silver world medal..

Reactions: Krupnyakov
It's Gilman's fault that his team didn't win a team title? Like I said, you're clearly angry and sounding desperate. You have every right to be angry about what he said, but you're not making a whole lot of sense.

What doesn't make sense to you? I believe everyone he called out (maybe besides Zadick, but that is debatable) accomplished more as Hawkeyes than he did. I'm fine with the trash talk but it comes off better from someone who is on the same playing field as the guys he is calling out..

Just spoke with a wrestling coach buddy of mine who attended the event last night and has attended several Fight Nights. Basically said Gilman's schtick was awkward, fell flat and took things way too far. Wasn't funny. Just didn't feel this type of thing was his thing right now from a delivery standpoint and that a Tom or Terry could have done something along the same lines, but toned down, and it might have been hilarious. He thought there was no real harm done but also said if Iowa chooses not to attend in the future that would be the big mistake.

What doesn't make sense to you? I believe everyone he called out (maybe besides Zadick, but that is debatable) accomplished more as Hawkeyes than he did. I'm fine with the trash talk but it comes off better from someone who is on the same playing field as the guys he is calling out..
And you continue to reach...

Supposedly Metcalf and Gilman were "nose to nose" after the event..
Metcalf would beat Gilman to an inch of his life lol

A lot of trash talk from Gilman for never winning an
Supposedly Metcalf and Gilman were "nose to nose" after the event..
Metcalf would beat Gilman to an inch of his life lol

A lot of trash talk from Gilman for never winning an individual or team title..
How in the hell do you know Metcalf would be able to beat Gilman to an inch of his life??? Because he's bigger?? Maybe Gilman has the fastest hands in the state with a nasty right cross and Metcalf has a glass jaw?? It's fight night in a bar and he talked some sh**, big deal. I'll always take the guy that puts the knife in your chest instead of your back...

Just spoke with a wrestling coach buddy of mine who attended the event last night and has attended several Fight Nights. Basically said Gilman's schtick was awkward, fell flat and took things way too far. Wasn't funny. Just didn't feel this type of thing was his thing right now from a delivery standpoint and that a Tom or Terry could have done something along the same lines, but toned down, and it might have been hilarious. He thought there was no real harm done but also said if Iowa chooses not to attend in the future that would be the big mistake.
I need to watch the video when it's edited, but I'm under the impression that he wasn't trying to be funny. I'd also be interested on why not attending would be a big mistake.

How in the hell do you know Metcalf would be able to beat Gilman to an inch of his life??? Because he's bigger?? Maybe Gilman has the fastest hands in the state with a nasty right cross and Metcalf has a glass jaw?? It's fight night in a bar and he talked some sh**, big deal. I'll always take the guy that puts the knife in your chest instead of your back...

Metcalf stabbed us in the back? Since when? We had no money for him and they did.

As Oscar Wilde said, “true friends stab you in the front”

I’m with the guy on here bringing up the most important point - what’s with Gilman’s hat? He’s like Carl from the Walking Dead if the show was set in the Tyrol region of Austria

Not going to speak for whoever made that comment but I didn't take it as Metcalf et al stabbing us in the back but guys like Schwab and Dresser making little comments to the media and in interviews where Tom isn't their to defend himself. Gilman may run his mouth but he proved last night he will say what he has to say with those guys in the room. Something they haven't done in the past.

He was on a team that one a team title (Gilman didn't).. both are 3x AAs.. both have a silver world medal..

Zadick was one of my favorite wrestlers back in the day, but his 7,3,7 doesn't stack up well to Gilman's 4,2,3. The fact that his team won a title his sophomore year, when he finished 7th, doesn't really matter.

On a side note, I find it funny seeing ISU fans' love for these guys now. It wasn't that long ago that a number of their fans HATED guys like Zadick and Metcalf.

It sounds like he had some good material, but could not package it in a way that comes off as funny. I mean taking on Dresser last because he is old and crippled could have been presented differently. KD leaving in the middle of the season could have been presented as "KD had to speak earlier because he is going to leave in the middle of the event as he has done in the past" No need to talk about loyalty.

With the pussies vs orange thing, he could have started calling body parts by the names of fruits and then said something about KD thinking an orange was a va jj, but we think people who where crimson and gold are oranges.

It sounds like he has some good ideas but just being a straight talking fireball and young, he could not package them in a way to get a laugh. Instead he caused a lot of tension.

Meet me in the parking lot can be construed as funny or scary weird. The if you hated me before but love me now could have been go F### yourself could have been presented as That is strange, because I feel the same way about KD when he was wearing orange as I do when he is wearing red.

The way you put it, doesn't sound very funny tbh.

Mike Zadick is, and always will be, hands down the greatest human being I've ever met through Hawkeye wrestling. Just an absolute top shelf, genuine person. I wish him nothing but the best in life... Personal relationships trump sports everytime.

Yeah, I don't get the ill will towards Metcalf. He hasn't said or done anything to publicly disparage the program. He took a job that is paying him well for something that he's qualified to do. If him and Tom have a beef, that's between them.
Quit putting words in my mouth. I never said one negative thing about Metcalf. I have no problem with him taking a good paying job at another school. He will always be one of my favorite Hawks.

Reactions: pumpdog20
Yeah, I don't get the ill will towards Metcalf. He hasn't said or done anything to publicly disparage the program. He took a job that is paying him well for something that he's qualified to do. If him and Tom have a beef, that's between them.

And while truthfully I’d rather have him than Perry, Metcalf leaving is what caused this board to go nuts and start dropping chunks of change to get HWC up to snuff.

I have no ill will towards him or Schwab (I think he’s a great guy and more or less just wants a shot at Iowa) but man do I hate Dresser. He’s a sleaze bag, a corn ball, and an orange.

I need to watch the video when it's edited, but I'm under the impression that he wasn't trying to be funny. I'd also be interested on why not attending would be a big mistake.

It has become quite an event in northeast Iowa with high school coaches from the area attending, along with fans. Great opportunity for PR, relationship building and promoting your program in one of the state's wrestling hotbeds.

I prefer to think he was trying to be funny on some level, otherwise my opinion of him will take a drastic turn.

Last edited:
And while truthfully I’d rather have him than Perry, Metcalf leaving is what caused this board to go nuts and start dropping chunks of change to get HWC up to snuff.

I have no ill will towards him or Schwab (I think he’s a great guy and more or less just wants a shot at Iowa) but man do I hate Dresser. He’s a sleaze bag, a corn ball, and an orange.

Metcalf was already gone by then. ISU's overall decision to invest in the program, which did include Metcalf's hire, was a catalyst.

Reactions: Dagboi
Quit putting words in my mouth. I never said one negative thing about Metcalf. I have no problem with him taking a good paying job at another school. He will always be one of my favorite Hawks.
Your entire post is about Gilman and Metcalf, and then you put that at the end. What else are we supposed to think?

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
I was at the Knight Hawk last night and Gilman's presentation was uncalled for. You can defend him all you want, talk about how he says what he feels blah blah blah. Last night was not the place to be throwing around the F-bomb and encouraging people to meet in the parking lot to fight. The crowd was filled with young wrestlers and fans. If an ISU or UNI representative would have made those comments using that language the hawkeye faithful would be on fire.

Class and winners (not talkers) are on my list.

I will give it a watch before I pass judgement. The reports so far don’t give me warm fuzzies though.

I'm 43, and this is how I remember Iowa wrestling in my youth. None if this surprises me, if he indeed was pushed a bit by Gable to do this. Knowing Joe Breitbach, I bet he enjoyed this immemsely

Reactions: Hawkeye Till I Die
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT