ADVERTISEMENT

Fight Night

FUMBLE-ROOSKY

Team MVP
Sep 12, 2009
The annual coaches fight night at Joes Knighthawk is Tomorrrow night at 7:00. This event has been live streamed in the past for those who can't make it.

As a life long Hawk fan I was either baffled or completely turned off.
It was either the greatest act of a "heel" ever or wow, it was a massive mistake to send him.
If Brian Ferentz was made to apologize, if this was not an act, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

He said a lot of fans come up and say I hate Iowa and didn't like you in college but now ur on team USA and I love you... Gilman responded by saying "You know what I say to that? F*** You!" Basically says if you weren't with him before don't start now.

Paraphrasing a bit

As a life long Hawk fan I was either baffled or completely turned off.
It was either the greatest act of a "heel" ever or wow, it was a massive mistake to send him.
If Brian Ferentz was made to apologize, if this was not an act, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Brian Ferentz is an employee of the university. Gilman is a former student athlete. Not really comparable.

Out of the 3 big schools:

Schwab went first- He was relatively PC. The only dig he really took was at Tom for not showing up.

Gilman went second....- He took "Fight Night" quite literally. He said we aren't dodging anyone and would wrestle Zadick, Schwab and Dresser right now, but would leave Dresser for last because he's old and crippled. Called Dresser out for leaving VT in the middle of the year and said why would you send your kids to ISU and someone with no loyalty. He went on to say that both Dresser and Schwab are just jealous because they've been passed up by their alma mater. "And oranges? I don't know anything about oranges. If Dresser was a real man he'd call us pussies". Gilman did give props to all his teammates there and current wrestlers on the roster. Started going down the list and said stopped himself "and another one I won't mention yet"... thought that was interesting. When addressing rivalries he said that he doesn't know what a rivalry is, but he knows neither of those schools are rivalries. We neat the shit out of ISU every year.

Dresser went third- Said that when he was at Iowa they worked hard and played hard. Won 9 straight titles (he has 5 rings) and that this Iowa is not THAT Iowa. It's not the same. Made a wise crack about not winning any titles in a while. He was pretty PC considering what he sat there and took from Gilman.

*extremely paraphrased, and missing quite a bit of content. The tension was THICK. Like I stated before, Giman said this was the last year the Hawks will be represented at Fight Night. He treated it as such.

Mic drop

Out of the 3 big schools:

Schwab went first- He was relatively PC. The only dig he really took was at Tom for not showing up.

Gilman went second....- He took "Fight Night" quite literally. He said we aren't dodging anyone and would wrestle Zadick, Schwab and Dresser right now, but would leave Dresser for last because he's old and crippled. Called Dresser out for leaving VT in the middle of the year and said why would you send your kids to ISU and someone with no loyalty. He went on to say that both Dresser and Schwab are just jealous because they've been passed up by their alma mater. "And oranges? I don't know anything about oranges. If Dresser was a real man he'd call us pussies". Gilman did give props to all his teammates there and current wrestlers on the roster. Started going down the list and said stopped himself "and another one I won't mention yet"... thought that was interesting. When addressing rivalries he said that he doesn't know what a rivalry is, but he knows neither of those schools are rivalries. We neat the shit out of ISU every year.

Dresser went third- Said that when he was at Iowa they worked hard and played hard. Won 9 straight titles (he has 5 rings) and that this Iowa is not THAT Iowa. It's not the same. Made a wise crack about not winning any titles in a while. He was pretty PC considering what he sat there and took from Gilman.

*extremely paraphrased, and missing quite a bit of content. The tension was THICK. Like I stated before, Giman said this was the last year the Hawks will be represented at Fight Night. He treated it as such.

Mic drop

Thanks for the summary! Hope the video goes back up.

Started it a bit ago and just finished so maybe I beat it being taken down.

Nick Mitchell encouraged Gilman to go off. Gable told him to not back down from these guys. Everyone talked about making it more confrontational like the old days and then Gilman took that advice to heart and grabbed the bull by the horns.

Said the reason Tom Brands isn't here is because Tom Brands is out doing big things and has to delegate to his staff. Thanked Joe (owner of the bar) from Brands. Talked about state of the art stand alone facility. Terry and M* are on the road. He doesn't know where. Doesn't ask questions just does what he is told and he was told to come here. Talked about how Soarin Eagle' is a tought mother*****. (Sorenson). Said they were given late notice this year and this is their last year going. If you want to see the Hawks come down to IC they have an open door policy.

Said that if you never liked him in college nothing has changed now so F*** you. Called attention to Brooks making the World Team. Same goes for Brooks. They are Hawkeyes through and through and that was that. If you didn't like him then you wouldn't like him now.

"Maybe I am just arrogant. I don't know"

Said everyone knows IC is best in the state and everyone knows it. Best venue, best place to practice, best fans, best support system.

Brought up wrestleoffs and said leave the beer in the parking lot but bring the rowdiness and tailgate inside and afterwards lets all have some beers in the lot if that is your thing. He will have some orange juice. Called out Dresser for calling them pussies and then went down the line of who he would wrestle and that he would leave Dresser for last.

Called out our best guys in the lineup and said they were going to be tough but Sorenson and Kemerer are going to have to step it up. No predictions. Talked about the 'Morning Stroll with Sam Stoll." How's his rehab doing? Doing good. Great. But you can do everything right and still be a loser.

Stoll is ornery fired up and ready to go.

Doesn't know why you would consider it a rivalry at this point (Dresser later agreed).

"I'm just gonna get fired up right now"

Talked about Iowa supposedly refusing to wrestle UNI/VT and said he would wrestle Schwab right now then Metcalf, Zadick, and then Dresser because he is old and crippled.

Said he must be a pussy too because he wrestled for Brands and the only reason Dresser wanted to wrestle Iowa was so he could come home for the weekend. Called out Dresser for leaving right before NCAAs and asked how people could send their kid to ISU if the coach is just going to bail on his team like that.

Wishes more Hawk fans came but understands he is in enemy territory.

"If you want to fight I will be in the parking lot"

Called out Nick Dardanes, Berhow, etc who were all there but wasn't going to let McD talk because they would be there all night.

GO HAWKS!

I think Gilman does plenty of winning. It is a team sport and he graduated. As a fan I find it entertaining.

For my taste he does a lot of talking for not winning an NCAA title. But to be honest his comment about not liking him now, I can appreciate.

But overall, he was a guest at a social event with a chance to promote and represent the program and more than anything he just sounded like a dick. Not really a good time to be turning a bunch of people off, imho.

This sport needs more trash talking. It sells tickets.

I'm on the fence. I like Brands' matside antics. This is over the top. Reminds me of the prefight press conferences to hype up Mayweather-McGregor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT