ADVERTISEMENT

Final X June 10th

Sett1997

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2004
This is going to be some great wrestling.

57 kg: *Thomas Gilman vs Zane Richards

61 kg: Vito Arujau vs Nahshon Garrett

65 kg: *Yianni Diakomihalis vs Nick Lee

70 kg: *Zain Retherford vs Tyler Berger

74 kg: *Kyle Dake vs Jason Nolf

79 kg: *Jordan Burroughs vs Chance Marsteller

86 kg: *David Taylor vs Aaron Brooks

92 kg: Michael Macchiavello vs Zahid Valencia

97kg: *Kyle Snyder vs J’den Cox

125 kg: Gable Steveson vs Mason Parris

Picks:

Finals:
57kg - Gilman
61kg - Vito
65kg - Yianni
70kg - Zain
74kg - Dake
79kg - Burroughs
86kg - Taylor
92kg - Zahid
97kg - Cox
125kg - Steveson

3rds:
57kg - Suriano
61kg - Desanto
65kg - McKenna
70kg - Pantaleo
74kg - Joseph
79kg - Dieringer
92kg - Moore

Could be underrating Mike Mach, Zahid looked good though at WTT's.

97kg is more of a heart pick, Snyder has had the weight locked down. I think Cox has the talent to beat him but it won't be easy, hope we get to see 3 matches.

Kind of the same as above for Desanto, though I do like how he is trending in Freestyle.

Joseph/O'Toole should be fun. Same with Dake/Nolf.

Curious to see how Brooks does against Taylor.

bump.

I got:

Gilman in 2
Vito in 2
Yianni in 3
Zain in 2
Dake in 3
Burroughs in 3
Taylor in 2
Macc in 3
Snyder in 3
Steveson in 2

Really feel like it may be Marsteller's time, but just can't get myself to pick against JB. Not confident in my 92 pick either.

3rd place picks are same as @LaxHawk174. Really hoping Desanto can get a W against Fix. Would be a huge confidence builder for him.

Women's picks:

Hildebrandt in 2
Parrish in 2
Winchester in 3
Maroulis in 2
Beck in 3
Nwachukwu in 3
Velte in 3
Molinari in 2
Elor in 2
Blades in 3

Felicity Taylor, Rose Cassioppi, and Kylie Welker are all in the 3rd place matches as well.

Feel like the mens matches will go fairly chalk, with the 97 kg being a tossup. Heavy favorites at nearly every weight class imo.

Should be a really salty team, glad Zahid went up to 92 KG.

bump.

I got:

Gilman in 2
Vito in 2
Yianni in 3
Zain in 2
Dake in 3
Burroughs in 3
Taylor in 2
Macc in 3
Snyder in 3
Steveson in 2

Really feel like it may be Marsteller's time, but just can't get myself to pick against JB. Not confident in my 92 pick either.

3rd place picks are same as @LaxHawk174. Really hoping Desanto can get a W against Fix. Would be a huge confidence builder for him.

Women's picks:

Hildebrandt in 2
Parrish in 2
Winchester in 3
Maroulis in 2
Beck in 3
Nwachukwu in 3
Velte in 3
Molinari in 2
Elor in 2
Blades in 3

Felicity Taylor, Rose Cassioppi, and Kylie Welker are all in the 3rd place matches as well.
As much as I want to see Nolf take a match from Dake, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Why do you consider 97 a toss up?
It shouldn’t be. Not until sight seen.

2 things in j’dens favor. He’s bigger than he was when he last wrestled snyder and he should have a great barometer for what kind of shape he needs to be in.

You take those 2 things and j’den is the more athletic wrestler. I’d love to see him present some challenges that force Kyle to not just be a bruiser - the wrestler he was up until 2018.

Reactions: el dub
As much as I want to see Nolf take a match from Dake, I’ll believe it when I see it.

That's fair.

Will be interesting to see if the gap narrows or widens after Dake's move to the NLWC.

Reactions: mcpat
That's fair.

Will be interesting to see if the gap narrows or widens after Dake's move to the NLWC.
I still don’t know what to make of that. Having the top 2, and potentially 3 (Carter), in the country at the same weight in the same room seems a little strange. I can’t imagine they spend much time wrestling each other. Maybe I’m wrong. Who am I to question it, though.

Nolf got that TD last year but then Dake immediately did what he had to do to regain the lead. I’ve learned to stop betting against Dake. His defensive wrestling used to bother me, but I now see he’s just not giving his opponent anything to scout.

I’ll be there on Saturday. Very psyched.

I still don’t know what to make of that. Having the top 2, and potentially 3 (Carter), in the country at the same weight in the same room seems a little strange. I can’t imagine they spend much time wrestling each other. Maybe I’m wrong. Who am I to question it, though.

Nolf got that TD last year but then Dake immediately did what he had to do to regain the lead. I’ve learned to stop betting against Dake. His defensive wrestling used to bother me, but I now see he’s just not giving his opponent anything to scout.

Saw a 5 minute podcast on Taylor Vs Brooks. Was not aware that Taylor chose Brooks to be his 2020 (2021) Olympic training partner. Brooks traveled to Tokyo.
Taylor chose Brooks because of his similar wrestling style to Yaz (Underhooks)
Word was in training he gave Taylor all he wanted. Take that with a grain of salt as obviously practice is not the same.
Taylor mysteriously stopped training with Brooks, Taylor's choice. Rumor was he saw him as a potential future threat.
Replied to your post bacuse of your comment about the guys training in the same room. Thought this was interesting and related to the situation.

Saw a 5 minute podcast on Taylor Vs Brooks. Was not aware that Taylor chose Brooks to be his 2020 (2021) Olympic training partner. Brooks traveled to Tokyo.
Word was in training he gave Taylor all he wanted. Take that with a grain of salt as obviously practice is not the same.
Taylor mysteriously stopped training with Brooks, Taylor's choice. Rumor was he saw him as a potential future threat.
Replied to your post bacuse of your comment about the guys training in the same room. Thought this was interesting and related to the situation.

Dake does not wrestle with Nolf and Starocci. As far as I know, they've wrestled just once - a practice match, since his time there.

Not sure about starocci and Nolf.

Just a reminder:
True 3rd starts tomorrow at 11:30 CST.
First round of finals at 1 CST.

Dake does not wrestle with Nolf and Starocci. As far as I know, they've wrestled just once - a practice match, since his time there.

Not sure about starocci and Nolf.
Having never stepped foot in a wrestling club room I'm very naive about all of this. I thought one of the primary reasons for having great guys in the room was so that they could train/wrestle together and sharpen their skills?
If that's not the reason, what are the reasons?

They have other great practice partners.
They have more/better coaches.
They have more money/better resources

Reactions: el dub
At the press conference, there were questions about this. Nolf said he and Dake have practiced together, the last time being prior to Nolf competing in Croatia. Nolf said it was the coaches’ job to bring in the guys that will create the best practice room and his job to win the matches.

Brooks was with Taylor, and Starocci with was Bekzod/Franklin.

In one of the 74kg matches, Starocci was actually on the floor behind the main "corner man" for Bekzod. I think he was there during Bekzod's bronze medal win, too.

They both took pretty substantial jumps forward that summer. They both won their first NCAA title and then got to work with guys who were established World medalists, and are now Olympic medalists. Starocci transformed from a guy who won through pure determination to a guy scoring four TDs on Hayden Hidlay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sett1997
Flo has an Article up titled "Final X by the Numbers" ...guess they still won't give Iowa credit for Gilman, huh...

Final X Participants By College

1. Penn State — 5

T-2. Cornell — 4

T-2. Northern Michigan — 4

4. Simon Fraser — 3

T-5. Arizona State — 2

T-5. Illinois — 2

T-5. King — 2

T-5. Michigan — 2

T-5. Minnesota — 2

T. 5. Nebraska — 2

• Sad
Reactions: Fan In Black
Flo has an Article up titled "Final X by the Numbers" ...guess they still won't give Iowa credit for Gilman, huh...

Final X Participants By College

1. Penn State — 5

T-2. Cornell — 4

T-2. Northern Michigan — 4

4. Simon Fraser — 3

T-5. Arizona State — 2

T-5. Illinois — 2

T-5. King — 2

T-5. Michigan — 2

T-5. Minnesota — 2

T. 5. Nebraska — 2
They did. PSU five are Taylor, Brooks, Nolf, Retherford, Lee.

Damn, Rose Cassioppi put to her back late in match. Loses 9-8.

Welker makes the World team, 8-5 over Guilford.

Dead Silence GIF by Studios 2016

Tough loss for your nephew, @AuroraHawk. Still, top 4 in US is damn impressive!

Yeah. Haven't talked to my brother yet . . . Payton was on the world team last year (3rd place) and was really hoping for a repeat. He'll wrestle in the U23 worlds (he's still only 20 years old), getting some more excellent experience and we'll hope that he'll break through next year to go to the Olympics in Paris. (Fingers crossed)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT