ADVERTISEMENT

first cell phone

Had one of these babies clipped to my belt before cell phones.
a61a3275cbf52292f29d6d9b94982e90--s-goodies.jpg
haha

I had a pager in high school

gawd we were dorks

Had one of these babies clipped to my belt before cell phones.
a61a3275cbf52292f29d6d9b94982e90--s-goodies.jpg
That was what my kids had in high school. Then by the time they were both in college they got cells that were expensive and killed us with the roaming charges every month.
Hubby had the car phone by 1990. Thank goodness the company paid for it.

Reactions: GOHOX69
haha

I had a pager in high school

gawd we were dorks
Hmm. We had a rule: if Mom paged you when you weren’t home by midnight and you didn’t call within ten minutes the pager went bye bye.
Our son broke the rule the first time - we took the pager for a week.
Second time it went away permanently because Mom made him watch while she took it out back on the patio and smashed it with the hammer.
Daughter watched it too and made sure she didn’t break the rule. She broke plenty of others but not that one.
No one got murdered by Mom and no one has a criminal record. And they grew up eventually.
Ah…Memory Lane.

I had a pager in residency. Don't miss it, although the app we use is about as bad. Actually I had 2 pagers in residency. The first one broke after it lost a fight with the wall I threw it at after a particularly rough call day.

That was what my kids had in high school. Then by the time they were both in college they got cells that were expensive and killed us with the roaming charges every month.
Hubby had the car phone by 1990. Thank goodness the company paid for it.
Ya, I was poo-white trash back then. I couldn't afford the brick with antenna. Same thing with my kids. Killed me with costs. When they could get their own, there were crocodile tears for a while, because they had to pay for their own.

I needed the freedom that the pager gave me always being on call. It was a love/hate thing with it.

Hmm. We had a rule: if Mom paged you when you weren’t home by midnight and you didn’t call within ten minutes the pager went bye bye.
Our son broke the rule the first time - we took the pager for a week.
Second time it went away permanently because Mom made him watch while she took it out back on the patio and smashed it with the hammer.
Daughter watched it too and made sure she didn’t break the rule. She broke plenty of others but not that one.
No one got murdered by Mom and no one has a criminal record. And they grew up eventually.
Ah…Memory Lane.
I always loved trying unique parenting strategies.

My kid had a terrible habit of leaving his bike outside at the end of the driveway, meaning mom or I were constantly having to move it out of our way and into the garage. We bitched at him for weeks to no avail.

So one day I “stole” it - took it to one of my friend’s up the street and hid it in their garage. My kid freaked out. Made fliers, tried to figure out which of his classmates was the culprit etc. Begged us to either buy him a new one or let him buy one - which we refused as it was his repeated irresponsibility that allowed it to be “stolen.”

After two weeks of this, I went and retrieved it and gave it back to him.

He never forgot to put it away in the garage again 🙂

Reactions: goldmom
When I finally was able to get rid of mine I made a promise to myself that I would never own anything that allowed people to contact me anytime. I have kept that promise and have never owned a cell phone. One of the smartest thing I ever done.
Lucky SOB. 7 years to go till retirement and this damn phone is getting tossed right into the ocean. I envy you.

Had what was referred to as a Bag Phone back a little over 30 years ago. It had a cord and receiver attached and I kept it on the floor of the car over the center column.

I don’t remember, but I remember having a different swappable face plate for everyday of the week.

When I finally was able to get rid of mine I made a promise to myself that I would never own anything that allowed people to contact me anytime. I have kept that promise and have never owned a cell phone. One of the smartest thing I ever done.
What do you read HROT on then?

s-l300.jpg

1999. 300 mins for $30. Free Sprint to Sprint, free nights and weekends. 25 cents per text. And the "searching" graphic was about right once you left a major metro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT