ADVERTISEMENT

First down spot for Bucky

I did rewind. Tough TV angle to definitively say he made it or not. I thought it was pretty close after a second look. It looked to me like he was just short, but I don't think replay would be able to overturn it.
Funny thing is that where they placed the ball was about a yard and a half further that he reached. Definitely an incorrect spot.

Reactions: dandh
Was it just me that thought that spot in the 4th quarter was totally bogus? In the TV replay it didn't look like he got within a yard of the first down mark, and they didn't even hesitate or look at it. The back judge came running up and signaled for the first, and he looked a good yard short. Couldn't believe they didn't measure. Then they blew the quick whistle on KJ's Td at the end. Interesting...
You are totally correct. That was either a lazy ass bunch of work by that ref crew or the zebra who actually made the call was totally confused/miscombobulated. My wife and I and two others we were watching the game with immediately saw the screw job or mistake. Dolph and Eddie on radio right away were incredulous, so were the fans

Personally, I do not like the way college football has just let the line judges run in from the sideline and signal first down and move the chains before they actually unstack the pile and spot the ball.

SPOT THE FRIGGING BALL FIRST THEN LOOK TO SEE IF IT IS A FIRST DOWN

Right after that we got lucky on Dejean's big punt return when they didn't call running into the kicker. These refs were pretty bad both ways.

Exactly, that could easily have been called running into the punter unless, unless, the ref thought the punter sort of held his leg out for it to get hit when he had time to lower his leg.

Officials make mistakes. Isn't it up to the staff to challenge the spot in that situation? Why wasn't this challenged?
idk I would ever totally disagree with a decision to challenge a spot. Just so hard to overturn those without seeing a camera angle straight down the line of scrimmage that those just don't seem to get overturned all that often, even when it seems obvious like this one was.

The Wisky runner was NOT to the first down. I rewatched in slo mo and he was leaning forward and the top of his helmet hit the line but the ball was at his belly 1 foot short. I think the running into the punter was a good call - I thought our guy sort of got bounced towards the punter from another player. Hitting with the helmet/targeting could have been called on several plays on both sides, so I am okay with that. I want it to be a blatant helmet into the face type thing before a call is made.

idk I would ever totally disagree with a decision to challenge a spot. Just so hard to overturn those without seeing a camera angle straight down the line of scrimmage that those just don't seem to get overturned all that often, even when it seems obvious like this one was.
Its coming...from 2019...so maybe it didnt pan out...

Personally, I do not like the way college football has just let the line judges run in from the sideline and signal first down and move the chains before they actually unstack the pile and spot the ball.

This is one of the changes of mechanics they have made to deal with longer game times. They spot the ball and if its anywhere close, its immediately called a first down and they're waving the chain gang along. TPTB are loathe to measure anymore, because it takes minutes. So any ball that is close it automatically a first down.

Reactions: pistachio1999
Happened to be in Madison for the game wisconsins post game radio people were in meltdown over the no call helmet to helmet and the running into the kicker.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
You know what would be wild and probably impossible to do. A camera at the top of the 1st down stick.

HAHAH wow, go to 2:20 and watch our OL #78. What in thee actual F. Then he tries to trip the guy and even fails miserably at that.
To top it off the line just stands there and doesn’t help Petras up. Shouldn’t they be rushing to get him off the ground and taking this sh*t personally? Charmin soft.

Wish the Big 10 would put into the contract that they have to send announcers to games they are televising. Totally different atmosphere. Announcers don't know what's going on as they can't see the whole field, just what all of us are seeing on TV. Emotion isn't there either as announcers can't really hear the crowd. Whatever Fox was doing with their field mics was awful too. Had friends at the game say it was loud but you couldn't tell on TV at all. They will send hundreds of millions/billions to the schools for the right to broadcast, but save a few thousand dollars to not provide broadcasters. Dumb.
Great post, I've been saying this for awhile, games on FS1 and Fox have field and crow mic problems, it seems either fake noise or muted noise. Then I pull up the highlights with Dolph and Eddie, MUCH different!

Its coming...from 2019...so maybe it didnt pan out...
Minor league baseball was using cameras to call balls and strikes this year. Most fans didn't know that, but they have some sort of camera set up that scans and it immediately signals to the ump via an ear piece what the pitch was. Funny watching a game listen to fans complain about calls when technology is making the call in reality.

To top it off the line just stands there and doesn’t help Petras up. Shouldn’t they be rushing to get him off the ground and taking this sh*t personally? Charmin soft.

Can't believe I'm saying this but i'm starting to think all of SPs shortcomings are rooted in the OL failures.

Reactions: hawkhockey
Officials make mistakes. Isn't it up to the staff to challenge the spot in that situation? Why wasn't this challenged?
I would call that more than a mistake but just lazy not really looking at where he was stopped or brain fart forgetting where line to gain was.

I will say it forever that it only takes a few seconds to spot the ****ing ball between the hashes and actually take a look to see if it is short, or past the marker or if it needs to be measured.

They cant be trying to save that much time on the telecast are they???

You know what would be wild and probably impossible to do. A camera at the top of the 1st down stick.
That's crazy talk! Next we will have something embedded in the ball that can tell how far it advanced or if made it over the goal line to synch with video.

You could embed sensors in the dang field.

This is one of the changes of mechanics they have made to deal with longer game times. They spot the ball and if its anywhere close, its immediately called a first down and they're waving the chain gang along. TPTB are loathe to measure anymore, because it takes minutes. So any ball that is close it automatically a first down.
This is utterly stupid. It's a game of inches so treat it accordingly.

It is a game of inches! So we measure that precision with two sticks that have a 10 yard chain between them. These two sticks are operated by two 68 year-olds.

It is a game of inches! So we measure that precision with two sticks that have a 10 yard chain between them. These two sticks are operated by two 68 year-olds.
And I think the down marker guy marks it based on eyeballing it with the ref. It's all very precise.

I would call that more than a mistake but just lazy not really looking at where he was stopped or brain fart forgetting where line to gain was.

I will say it forever that it only takes a few seconds to spot the ****ing ball between the hashes and actually take a look to see if it is short, or past the marker or if it needs to be measured.

They cant be trying to save that much time on the telecast are they???
I think they are trying to save time actually and they don't have a vested interest in the outcome of that play. I still don't understand why someone from the booth doesn't tell Kirk to review the spot. Nothing to lose.

I think they are trying to save time actually and they don't have a vested interest in the outcome of that play. I still don't understand why someone from the booth doesn't tell Kirk to review the spot. Nothing to lose.
Is Iowa Football set up with tv monitors in the press box where the coaches up there can see the TV action and replays? I would think those coaches have their hands full with down and distance, planning, watching the whole field.

I know the NFL teams have enough money to have coaches, assistants, employees watching the tv feeds.

Exactly, that could easily have been called running into the punter unless, unless, the ref thought the punter sort of held his leg out for it to get hit when he had time to lower his leg.
No way. Ref was staring right at it. Kicker left his leg up long enough for someone to brush by it.

Wiscy had benefited several times from "phantom spots". Both 2018 and 2019 had several. It seems to be a regular thing.

When it's the Hawks, seems the booth always decides they should review it.

Was it just me that thought that spot in the 4th quarter was totally bogus? In the TV replay it didn't look like he got within a yard of the first down mark, and they didn't even hesitate or look at it. The back judge came running up and signaled for the first, and he looked a good yard short. Couldn't believe they didn't measure. Then they blew the quick whistle on KJ's Td at the end. Interesting...
I guess they didn't want any reviews to delay the game. They must have been cold.

All of the chain crew members are active high school officials. Very few measurements because 99.5% of all new series of downs start on a yard line, so officials know exactly what the line to gain will be, and can make their best judgement. It's not perfect, and mistakes are sometimes made. Personally, I don't want the human element completely eliminated from the game. Those kind of little errors tend to balance out over the course of a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT