ADVERTISEMENT

Five Guys prices out of control

I remember in 1985 when my cheeseburger cost .50 cents! What the hell is going on around here!!! Next thing you know a tank of gas won't cost $9 anymore!! A bunch of bullshit!!

Uber Eats and Door Dash might be part of the problem contributing to price increases. To offset the platform fees charged by these delivery services, many local restaurants do indeed add a 15-25% markup to the cost of menu items when they’re ordered through these platforms. This could also be why chains such as five guys are also raising their prices.
Most places price their door dash menu different than their regular menu. That is the recommendation. At least thats what I do.

Reactions: SI_NYC
I rarely eat fast food. GF is a psycho with couponing and meal prepping. Besides the money saved my favorite part about eating at home is getting my two sons to help with the dinner. Good memories
Good call. Our daughter turns eight in a couple weeks and she loves helping with dinner. It's a lot of fun and doing food at home makes for a healthier lifestyle. Luckily, my wife (no pic) is a Nazi about balanced meals with fruit and vegetables each day. I am much less disciplined, but our kids have great eating habits. They eat everything.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Corporate greed combined with consumer stupidity and laziness.
Stop eating out and it will fix itself.
Like others in this thread, I don't get eating out all of the time. We eat out when traveling, having a very nice dinner which I can't replicate at home, or if we are being social and going out with friends. We rarely eat out on a day-to-day basis for a number of reasons: it take too much time, it costs too much, and you can't control the quality and content of what you are eating.

Inflation would be under control a lot better if people were smarter.

So many people dine out constantly. Even if you know nothing about cooking you can make great food cheap via YouTube and recipes listed online.

Convenience regardless of the cost or personal harm to people’s finances is killing people’s future and they don’t even know it. That’s why I want to audit people’s lives when they bitch about needing help with their loans or the home they want costs too much.

Most people are pissing away thousands of dollars a year on things they consider “ no choice have to buy “ when it’s completely false. “I have to get to work so that leathered out 4x4 Truck is a must”.
So how should people spend the money that they earn. Just keep it in the bank and not use it and when you die you give it to your kids?

Never had their burger or their fries, but you guys got me curious. Too soggy?

One thing I do appreciate is some good fries with my food. That's why I love BWW. I don't know if it's because of the wings, but their fries are exactly how I like them.
Speaking of BWW, we were in the mood for a burger and we going to hit Red Robin but it had closed. Right next door was a BWW. I wanted a damn burger, and they had something called (if I remember right) the All American Burger. That damn thing was so good you couldn't eat it standing up, your knees would buckle.

CSB

Reactions: Jedhawk77
Like others in this thread, I don't get eating out all of the time. We eat out when traveling, having a very nice dinner which I can't replicate at home, or if we are being social and going out with friends. We rarely eat out on a day-to-day basis for a number of reasons: it take too much time, it costs too much, and you can't control the quality and content of what you are eating.
I hear you. I dislike eating out and won't do it if left to my own devices. I bring my own lunch every day and will often bring things to eat when traveling to minimize the amount restaurant visits.

We have a little hole in the wall pizza place here that has amazing deals. Tonight I'm getting a 16" 2-topping pizza with a meatball appetizer and garlic knots for $15. And it's finominal pizza.

I don't eat fast food very often, but I did today since I was rushing around and skipped dinner last night. Medium roast beef and small soda from Arby's was $10.29. Insane. I made dinner for the family (four people) one night last week for about the same price. Pasta with fresh mushrooms and sausage in a garlic and butter sauce. If people would rather feed their families with $30-$40 fast food meals instead of preparing something that can not only be better, but far less expensive, that is even more insane. Fast food joints are only charging that much because there is still demand for it.
There was an interesting article about how prices have gone up at restaurants both big chain a little local guy in the WSJ yesterday.
Biggest driver was the wage hikes that have come across the board and not only affect the restaurant directly but have forced suppliers who are also paying more for labor and thus having to raise their prices too.
One small restaurant recently was forced to raise the price of their “deluxe” burger to $18. They were able to hold it down to an even higher price by switching the fries that come with it from thicker hand cuts made in house to precut frozen shoestrings from a supplier.

I do think that people will be forced to cut back on dining out. More people will do make ahead casseroles to freeze instead of Happy Meals and that’s not an awful thing. Crock pots might become a kitchen staple again.
Or if they’re able have a late lunch (“linner”) and take home a doggie bag for a light supper. The portions at restaurants tend to be bigger for some reason 🤔 and many of us can’t finish all that food anyway. I had a (takeout) steak dinner from Longhorn two weeks ago and the next morning I had a great Sunday breakfast of leftover baked potato and ribeye chopped up and make into steak browns with an egg over medium on the side. Delish! No waste of food. That’s also not a bad thing.

There was an interesting article about how prices have gone up at restaurants both big chain a little local guy in the WSJ yesterday.
Biggest driver was the wage hikes that have come across the board and not only affect the restaurant directly but have forced suppliers who are also paying more for labor and thus having to raise their prices too.
One small restaurant recently was forced to raise the price of their “deluxe” burger to $18. They were able to hold it down to an even higher price by switching the fries that come with it from thicker hand cuts made in house to precut frozen shoestrings from a supplier.

I do think that people will be forced to cut back on dining out. More people will do make ahead casseroles to freeze instead of Happy Meals and that’s not an awful thing. Crock pots might become a kitchen staple again.
Or if they’re able have a late lunch (“linner”) and take home a doggie bag for a light supper. The portions at restaurants tend to be bigger for some reason 🤔 and many of us can’t finish all that food anyway. I had a (takeout) steak dinner from Longhorn two weeks ago and the next morning I had a great Sunday breakfast of leftover baked potato and ribeye chopped up and make into steak browns with an egg over medium on the side. Delish! No waste of food. That’s also not a bad thing.
Good stuff.

We just threw a bunch of stuff together for dinner last night that ended up being delicious and totally cheap. Baked some frozen tilapia fillets (2 lb. bag is about $8.50) from Aldi with homemade stuffed mushrooms. To go along with that, we had leftover Asian noodles. Wifey made a batch this past weekend that we have eaten at multiple meals already. The kids devoured it and it was totally easy.

Most places price their door dash menu different than their regular menu. That is the recommendation. At least thats what I do.
Yes, I understand that but I was wondering if it was possible the big chains might just have one price. Probably not, but I thought it might be the case. Many companies seem to have gotten a little too greedy during the high inflation last year. I'm seeing some of our suppliers now lowering their prices on their products now as no one was buying them at their inflated prices.

Yes, I understand that but I was wondering if it was possible the big chains might just have one price. Probably not, but I thought it might be the case. Many companies seem to have gotten a little too greedy during the high inflation last year. I'm seeing some of our suppliers now lowering their prices on their products now as no one was buying them at their inflated prices.
You mean the free market will eventually find the correct pricing level based on supply and demand?
My God what a concept!!

Most people just have one or two kids.

Do the math here: who benefits more? 1-2 kids, or Five Guys?
So my 3 kids that have good jobs and make good money, need my money when they are 50 years old and I die so I shouldn't spend it now on things I want. 5 guys, truck, pool, things that are enjoyable in life. Interesting. I'm glad I enjoy my life and don't think that way.

Pretty much all fast food is a rip off and shockingly pricey, especially when you buy for a family. But the ones that get me the most are the fast food sub shops like Jimmy John’s/Firehouse/Jersey Mike’s where a regular sized uncooked sandwich with a fountain drink and small bag of chips is 13-15 bucks. What are we doing here? Why are we (myself included as a Jersey Mikes fan) paying this much when we could just make a sandwich ourselves and eat out of big bag of chips while drinking a Coke Zero out of a can at the house/office for 25% of the cost. I think mainly we are just lazy and bored.
I refuse to buy a cold sandwich at these places for this reason. And, I like 5 Guys enough, but they have always been expensive for what you get. Again, can make a burger at your house for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:
Pretty much all fast food is a rip off and shockingly pricey, especially when you buy for a family. But the ones that get me the most are the fast food sub shops like Jimmy John’s/Firehouse/Jersey Mike’s where a regular sized uncooked sandwich with a fountain drink and small bag of chips is 13-15 bucks. What are we doing here? Why are we (myself included as a Jersey Mikes fan) paying this much when we could just make a sandwich ourselves and eat out of big bag of chips while drinking a Coke Zero out of a can at the house/office for 25% of the cost. I think mainly we are just lazy and bored.
This!!!.

You're paying for increased labor costs, difficult supply chains, and corporate greed. Besides, that shit still literally kill you. I eat fast food but limit it as much as possible. It's a convenience, not a routine. That being said, yes, they are screwing the consumer because they know they can. Your fat ass will pull through the drive through anytime soon. This is your future.

Wife and I usually share a meal of burger, fries and drink and are filled when done.
Way too much food for 1 person. That's why obesity/Diabetics is rampant in the US.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and goldmom
Inflation would be under control a lot better if people were smarter.

So many people dine out constantly. Even if you know nothing about cooking you can make great food cheap via YouTube and recipes listed online.

Convenience regardless of the cost or personal harm to people’s finances is killing people’s future and they don’t even know it. That’s why I want to audit people’s lives when they bitch about needing help with their loans or the home they want costs too much.

Most people are pissing away thousands of dollars a year on things they consider “ no choice have to buy “ when it’s completely false. “I have to get to work so that leathered out 4x4 Truck is a must”.
Related - all these ads for apps that get you your “paycheck” money several days early.

W the actual F?

If you can’t make it from payday to payday without requiring an advance, you are a financial moron.

Good call. Our daughter turns eight in a couple weeks and she loves helping with dinner. It's a lot of fun and doing food at home makes for a healthier lifestyle. Luckily, my wife (no pic) is a Nazi about balanced meals with fruit and vegetables each day. I am much less disciplined, but our kids have great eating habits. They eat everything.
Grandkids ate everything in their early years. Then the influence of other kids in school changed that. Food did not really change their minds. Just their friends.

Related - all these ads for apps that get you your “paycheck” money several days early.

W the actual F?

If you can’t make it from payday to payday without requiring an advance, you are a financial moron.
There are apparently lots of financial morons out there.
I taught high school Econ and Business Math and we did units on personal finance. Some 17 year olds found out the facts about how their after school job wouldn’t turn into a path for lifelong financial success, but there are some people out there who are just now realizing that making $17 an hour at a fast food place still won’t be enough to support themselves - or a family. The grievance culture lives on.

So how should people spend the money that they earn. Just keep it in the bank and not use it and when you die you give it to your kids?
Dining out when the wife and I was younger was a treat of occasions of maybe once every two weeks or so. Now days people do it far too much and waste way too much money not buying groceries and cooking at home. Not saying we shouldn't go out to eat as a lot of people are employed in the food business and need customers. That being said we've seen two posts this week with persons complaining about not being able to get ahead. I carried a sack lunch to work all my life to cut expense. Remember the money you keep in the bank/IRA's is what you will need to live on when you retire. You always have to plan for an unexpected accident or expenditure. Plan accordingly and don't eat out as often. You'll be surprised what the savings can amount to.

Last edited:
Restaurant chains are hardly "small business".
I'm one of the mentioned chains in this thread. I consider myself small business. Yes I pay royalties and advertising to the company but my stores themselves are definitely a small business.

I'm one of the mentioned chains in this thread. I consider myself small business. Yes I pay royalties and advertising to the company but my stores themselves are definitely a small business.
And before anyone asks I do not own a 5 guys.

W the actual F?

• Statistics vary, but between 55 percent to 63 percent of Americans are likely living paycheck to paycheck.
  • Three in four Americans who earn less than $50,000 are living paycheck to paycheck, compared to roughly two in three of those making $50,000 to $100,000.

Eat at home more often.

I often ask myself… is this spending so necessary or joy giving that I am willing to work longer in life to do it?

Millions of people are easily working a decade longer than they have to because of their spending habits. Just think if a person bought that Kia Minivan instead of that loaded Suburban to hall their family around and drove it until it was junk yard material and invested the difference in an index fund. Several people at my work earn half of what I do (if they are lucky) but drive vehicles that cost double mine, and they never keep them very long until the next must have vehicle.

If you have a Costco or Sam's Club near you, you can eat and drink like a king if you are willing to give minimum effort.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Dining out when the wife and I was younger was a treat of occasions of maybe once every two weeks or so. Now days people do it far too much and waste way too much money not buying groceries and cooking at home. Not saying we shouldn't go out to eat as a lot of people are employed in the food business and need customers. That being said we've seen two posts this week with persons complaining about not being able to get ahead. I carried a sack lunch to work all my life to cut expense. Remember the money you keep in the bank/IRA's is what you will need to live on when you retire. You always have to plan for an unexpected accident or expenditure. Plan accordingly and don't eat out as often. You'll be surprised what the savings can amount to.
Not hurting on the retirement money, no worries there. I have more then enough saved and will have more then I can spend in retirement. Thanks for the advice though.

If people can't get by that's on them. But to constantly bitch about the prices of things is ridiculous, prices go up that's the way the world works. If people don't like it don't buy the product. Doesn't seem to be hurting 5 guys at all as they are very popular by the looks of things. Personally I have never ate there, but I am not going to complain about the prices or the people that choose to.

Eat at home more often.

I often ask myself… is this spending so necessary or joy giving that I am willing to work longer in life to do it?

Millions of people are easily working a decade longer than they have to because of their spending habits. Just think if a person bought that Kia Minivan instead of that loaded Suburban to hall their family around and drove it until it was junk yard material and invested the difference in an index fund. Several people at my work earn half of what I do (if they are lucky) but drive vehicles that cost double mine, and they never keep them very long until the next must have vehicle.
Millions of people are stupid. Nothing you can do about that as long as you take care of yourself an your family.

Eat at home more often.

While no one would accuse me of being a savoholic, and we certainly have had our splurges, we try to stay in the mainstream pocket with vehicles and our house. As far as my colleagues go, my house is by far the smallest and worst - guess who doesn't host the Christmas party? Every once in a while I do a little reminder for myself running the numbers as to what I expect have by age 60 by staying the course, rather than having gone for that that big ol' house with its increased PITI, and with compounding, the amount is rather staggering.

78i47x.jpg

I know what you mean; I have several clients who have franchises of large national/international chains. Back when we were just coming out of the covid shutdowns, I'd see a lot of comments about supporting the mom & pop places, not the big chain restaurants. I'd often point out that those local "chain" locations were franchisees who were owned by folks who live in our community & who are very generous in supporting local oranizations (little league, school programs, etc).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT