ADVERTISEMENT

Fix The Rotation

Mulls1975

Team MVP
Sep 18, 2016
while IA doesn’t have the athletes to compete they could do something really simple to be competitive. Shorten the bench and play their best line up. I think Ellingson’s ability to shoot and hustle will take some pressure off Bohannon but they need to be in at the same time. Slow it down, value the ball, and hustle. This team could go 500 the rest of the way if Fran had a clue. Next year need a house cleaning and bring in Juco guards that can defend and penetrate.

Starters
PG - Bohannon
SG - Ellingson
SF - Moss
PF - Cook
C - Garza

Subs
Dailey - pg or sg
Baer - SF or PF
Nunge - PF or C

Sorry the rest should never see the floor and Fran should tell Nunge to get aggressive or sit the pine. If you run into foul trouble with the bigs use Kriener at center or PF at least he hustles and isn’t afraid to shoot.

Never and I mean never play - pemsl, Wagner, uhL. Guys have no ability to shoot or score

Reactions: Iowahawkeyes1993
while IA doesn’t have the athletes to compete they could do something really simple to be competitive. Shorten the bench and play their best line up. I think Ellingson’s ability to shoot and hustle will take some pressure off Bohannon but they need to be in at the same time. Slow it down, value the ball, and hustle. This team could go 500 the rest of the way if Fran had a clue. Next year need a house cleaning and bring in Juco guards that can defend and penetrate.

Starters
PG - Bohannon
SG - Ellingson
SF - Moss
PF - Cook
C - Garza

Subs
Dailey - pg or sg
Baer - SF or PF
Nunge - PF or C

Sorry the rest should never see the floor and Fran should tell Nunge to get aggressive or sit the pine. If you run into foul trouble with the bigs use Kriener at center or PF at least he hustles and isn’t afraid to shoot.

Never and I mean never play - pemsl, Wagner, uhL. Guys have no ability to shoot or score

That's really how it should be the rest of the year than you add Conner and weiscamp next year.

As much as I hated Ellingson at the beginning of the year, it wasn't fair to him to be out there playing point. At least he can shoot we couldn't make any shots today or vs Rutgers and if he gets hot leave him in, if not put in Dailey.

Pemsl, Wagner, Ellingson, Nunge, bring nothing to the table on either end. All of these guys should move on or be moved on at the EOY.

Yup all these guys should be moved on except Nunge. I am not 100% sold on him yet, he is a freshman who should of red-shirted this year. I think he will be a solid contributor to the team as he goes on. The problem is he is playing "scared" and "timid" right now. He doesn't want to mess up and get benched/yelled at.

All the other guys need to move on and Fran has to find some JUCO or grand transfer players to fill in.

As much as I hated Ellingson at the beginning of the year, it wasn't fair to him to be out there playing point. At least he can shoot we couldn't make any shots today or vs Rutgers and if he gets hot leave him in, if not put in Dailey.

I do not want Brady at this point. I agree he tries hard but he’s not a money player at all. He’s good for 2-3 good games all year and today was the first time since Indiana he’s done much of anything. If you were at the game he knocked down some shots after Purdue called the dogs off and stopped playing intense defense. Then he gets a few buckets. We made a little minny run to try to get it back to respectability and got some baskets and stops. Then we came down the floor then he misses an open look. As soon as the energy started to pick up again... miss. Pressure on miss.... pressure off makes. Indiana was his best game this year ... came in and hit shots when we were down big. Next game starts at ISU clank city missing a number of great looks and both free throws.

I think he would a real good lower level player. He just needs to move on where he can play more and at a level that has fewer athletes.

I’d go with Dailey over Moss or move moss to the 3. Honestly outside of 2-3 games this year what has Moss done? I’m not sure he’d be in my starting line up any more.

Reactions: HaydenHawk8
Yup all these guys should be moved on except Nunge. I am not 100% sold on him yet, he is a freshman who should of red-shirted this year. I think he will be a solid contributor to the team as he goes on. The problem is he is playing "scared" and "timid" right now. He doesn't want to mess up and get benched/yelled at.

All the other guys need to move on and Fran has to find some JUCO or grand transfer players to fill in.
Nunge gets schooled on defense constantly. He does not have the quicks to play defense at this level.

The way this team is currently constructed (it really has no 2 or 3 that is even remotely reliable), the rotations seriously won't matter when you are getting crushed at two positions no matter what.

I agree Nunge defense is not good, but neither is Garza's, Cook, Bohannon, and etc.. You kind of see where I am getting at.

Nunge is playing out of position the kid should be a stretch 4, but instead we have him on the wing guarding guys who are 6-6 and twice as fast as him. That's not a good match-up and personally he should of red-shirted this year. But Iowa's cupboard was so bare after the past couple of recruiting classes.

Don't give up on the kid just yet. I think he will be a gamer by the time he's a junior.

Ellingson was one for January prior to today. if he is the answer, what can the question possibly be?

Last edited:
I agree Nunge defense is not good, but neither is Garza's, Cook, Bohannon, and etc.. You kind of see where I am getting at.

Nunge is playing out of position the kid should be a stretch 4, but instead we have him on the wing guarding guys who are 6-6 and twice as fast as him. That's not a good match-up and personally he should of red-shirted this year. But Iowa's cupboard was so bare after the past couple of recruiting classes.

Don't give up on the kid just yet. I think he will be a gamer by the time he's a junior.
I agree he is out of position at the three. But, who is playing him there? Fran should be able to see he is a stretch four as you say, so why can't Fran see this?

I agree he is out of position at the three. But, who is playing him there? Fran should be able to see he is a stretch four as you say, so why can't Fran see this?

Well right now you have Cook at the 4 and Garza at the 5. I agree Fran has to see it and I think you see Fran being stubborn right now trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

I mean he has Cook/Pemsl at the 4 and Garza/Kreiner at the 5. So then where do you put Nunge?? He put him at the 3, I wished he would of red-shirted, but we have no help behind Baer (unless you count Uhl, but Dom seems to have packed it in).

The way this team is currently constructed (it really has no 2 or 3 that is even remotely reliable), the rotations seriously won't matter when you are getting crushed at two positions no matter what.

Accurate.

To many pieces that dont work together.

The cupboard wasnt bare at the 4/5.

Its not great talent but they played a hell of allot better last year than what were getting this year.

Both frosh should have redshirted IMO.

The cupboard wasnt bare at the 4/5.

Its not great talent but they played a hell of allot better last year than what were getting this year.

Both frosh should have redshirted IMO.

While I agree to redshirt Nunge, I thought Garza was ready. He's a bigger body and slowly coming into his own right now. I thought Garza is a better option than Pemsl for sure. Kreiner I didn't know what to expect from him this year.

I think with williams transferring that pushed Nunge into more PT. I bet Fran was planning on a combo of Moss/Baer/Ellingson at the off guards and then Bohannon & Williams running the point and somtimes both in.

Too many guys playing out of position like most posters said. Nunge especially gets killed on defense by smaller guys on the blow by. While I agree Ellingson isn’t great he is the best shooter outside of Bohannon and would at least help keep the defensive pressure off Bohannon a little. Sorry but Moss and Dailey are not great shooters.

He has to make some of his 4s or 5s play the three, and his 3s play the 2, and his 2s play the 1. The roster is messed up.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Too many guys playing out of position like most posters said. Nunge especially gets killed on defense by smaller guys on the blow by. While I agree Ellingson isn’t great he is the best shooter outside of Bohannon and would at least help keep the defensive pressure off Bohannon a little. Sorry but Moss and Dailey are not great shooters.

I disagree totally on Brady. Let me ask you when the last time you recall Brady hitting a big shot in a tight game and was a difference maker in a win? He’s hitting in garbage time and with no pressure. Outside of that he can’t get open and when he does his shot is rushed clanking it.

Dailey is not a great shooter but has actually decided more games (Colorado) than Brady. Keep in mind Dailey was on the floor for big minutes and big moments in our only 2 power 5 victories this entire season. He can’t help it Fran is totally insane with his substitutions. There’s no rhyme or reason to earning minutes off the bench. Dailey is better than Moss.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Rotation changes will do about as much for this team this year as rearranging the deck chairs did for the Titanic.

I love this because it’s so true. I like how we have an entire subject based on what people think the rotation should be. If the guy getting paid millions to do it can’t figure it out neither can any of these other armchair coaches.

I'd play Cook at 4, backed up only by Nunge
Garza at 5 backed up only by Kreiner
Bohannon at 1(ugh) backed up only by Dailey
Moss at 2 on a short leash backed up by Dailey
Baer at 3 backed up by Dailey
No more combos with Nunge, Wagner and Pemsl at the 3. This is where the crazy runs happen. These 8 guys will only play one position with the exception of Dailey, and maybe Bohannon if you play him at the 2 with Dailey at 1. Responsible for knowing one position. Hopefully more continuity this way and more accountability and development.

I love this because it’s so true. I like how we have an entire subject based on what people think the rotation should be. If the guy getting paid millions to do it can’t figure it out neither can any of these other armchair coaches.

It just proves Fran is not going to change/adjust. He keeps going 11 deep when this team is only 2 or 3 deep with B1G quality players.

I'd play Cook at 4, backed up only by Nunge
Garza at 5 backed up only by Kreiner
Bohannon at 1(ugh) backed up only by Dailey
Moss at 2 on a short leash backed up by Dailey
Baer at 3 backed up by Dailey
No more combos with Nunge, Wagner and Pemsl at the 3. This is where the crazy runs happen. These 8 guys will only play one position with the exception of Dailey, and maybe Bohannon if you play him at the 2 with Dailey at 1. Responsible for knowing one position. Hopefully more continuity this way and more accountability and development.

You are spot on, especially the part about no more Nunge, Wagner, and Pemsl at the 3. They might have to mix Brady in for about five minutes a game.

Dailey = 1
Bohannon = 2
Baer = 3
Cook = 4
Garza = 5

Run Bohannon off about a million screens like Knight did with Alford 30 years go. Get Cook the ball on the left block as often as you can. Use the 3/4 court press with Baer out front. Have Moss playing behind Baer, Pemsl behind Cook, Kreiner behind Garza. Ellingson could give Bohannon maybe five minutes a game off, either that or use Moss and Dailey at 1 and 2 some. The lack of PGs is a huge issue. I know that Bohannon is the most stable ball handler, but he has to get as many shots as possible. He can really shoot. I am not sure that anything will really work however, the roster balance is quite a mess.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
1- Bohannon, Dailey
2- Moss (No better option), Bohannon
3- Baer, Dailey
4- Cook, Nunge
5- Garza, Kriener

Thank god we have 3 more guards coming in next year (Counting Connor). Our guard court is just horrible (Sorry)

Reactions: unclesammy
1- Bohannon, Dailey
2- Moss (No better option), Bohannon
3- Baer, Dailey
4- Cook, Nunge
5- Garza, Kriener

Thank god we have 3 more guards coming in next year (Counting Connor). Our guard court is just horrible (Sorry)
Are they really guards, or, Fran's idea of a guard?

Here it is, FWIW:

Starters:
* Dailey at PG
* JBO at the 2
* Garza
* Cook
* Baer

Bench
* Moss
* Nunge/Kreiner/Pemsl

The end.

Ellingson was one for January prior to today. if he is the answer, what can the question possibly be?
A question that comes to my mind, based on the "answer" would be why has Fran not landed a true point guard. This combo guard will get Iowa deep in tournaments mentality that Fran has hindered the growth of the team. Garza showed he can be a scorer and he showed he is tenacious; however, he is so slow footed he will never be able to guard his position or get into position to offer help defense. The fact that Baer or Kriener even get on the floor for minutes shows how weak the roster is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT