ADVERTISEMENT

Flat tax is going to pass in both Iowa House and Senate

As this legislature robs Peter to pay Paul, you would think the adults in charge would make better decisions. The Legislature and the Governor are playing a game of “Phuque Your Buddy” while riding Iowa into the poor house as they race to become the next Mississippi….or is it Arkansas? Meanwhile, the State just pushes responsibilities onto the counties and municipalities, who are going to have to fund money to maintain services Iowans have become accustomed to.
^^^^Pushing the costs to local govt entities.

Property taxes, local option sales taxes, likely removing the homestead exemption...all tricks to make local government the villian.

This just makes no fvcking sense and Dim Kim will be long gone before residents of Mississippi North realize how corrupt she is/was.

Reactions: franklinman
Nope, not saying that. But I am saying the playing field isn't even. You don't choose what circumstances you're born into but they affect your entire life
Not exactly a hot take there. We dont choose a lot of stuff but those things affect the rest of our lives.

Then its all about what we make out of those circumstances right?

More importantly, instead of complaining about how some are less fortunate, what is your solution? Taking from those you find have more advantages? Levelling every one down rather than everyone up?

You can afford the time to recover, perhaps…….Me, not so much…
Thank God for Obama and Biden…..Junior and Trump were killers…But a big “thank you” to Bill Clinton! Now those (the 90’s) were the years to be invested in America!) I have thrived under Democrats in the Market……I have struggled with Repubbers in control…..why is that? Hmmmm…………..
How's the market under Biden now?

Wow. It's not often you hear, "You know how we should finance the government? Illinois. We need to do what Illinois does. It works so well for them."

Good luck, folks.

Not exactly a hot take there. We dont choose a lot of stuff but those things affect the rest of our lives.

Then its all about what we make out of those circumstances right?

More importantly, instead of complaining about how some are less fortunate, what is your solution? Taking from those you find have more advantages? Levelling every one down rather than everyone up?
Progressive tax system was a piece of the solution

Ok then lets go to a fee based tax system. Each pays a dollar amount for these services.

Police....1000 a year.
Fire, 500 a year.
Roads....completely toll based.
legal system...500 a year.
National defense. 2024 budget was 850 billion. US population 340 billion, so 3 dollars each person in your family per year.

Again, sign me up.

Fact is, once again, you state these things as a diversionary tactic. You do not want everyone to pay their fair share of what they use and consume. You want some to pay for all of it and others to not pay any. Period.
I'm thinking you have a few too many 0s in that US population number....

Reactions: Gus is dead
Progressive tax system was a piece of the solution
I've posted graphs in a prior post. Didn't you look at them?

Our system is highly progressive. Just not progressive enough for you right?

25% of ones income is the maximally reasonable amount. No one, I repeat, no one should pay more than that to the federal government.

So if you think we aren't progressive because those making over 1 million aren't paying 30-40-50% then we aren't ever going to agree.

I believe in making your own way. One can be granted advantages to give them a hand up but taking from those that have worked hard, and this is the vast majority of the rich, only to have the all knowing government decide who gets what is immoral.

I freely pay my tax as an agreement with being a citizen of the US. But there has to be a limit.

What is your upper limit?

I'm thinking you have a few too many 0s in that US population number....
So I do. Thank you. So the corrected math, and post, is 2500 per person not 3 dollars.

That is a massive difference true. But I stand by it. A family of 4 pays 10k. Shouldnt we all have to pay for that?

25% of ones income is the maximally reasonable amount. No one, I repeat, no one should pay more than that to the federal government.

So if you think we aren't progressive because those making over 1 million aren't paying 30-40-50% then we aren't ever going to agree.

I believe in making your own way. One can be granted advantages to give them a hand up but taking from those that have worked hard, and this is the vast majority of the rich, only to have the all knowing government decide who gets what is immoral.

I freely pay my tax as an agreement with being a citizen of the US. But there has to be a limit.

You keep talking about something different. We're talking about the state of Iowa going to a flat tax. The flat tax is not a progressive tax system.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
That’s $380,000. How much is enough? What should that persons burden be? The government will piss it all away anyway.
That 380K affects them a helluva lot less than $3800 does to most middle class people. Republican tax cuts save them millions. It saves the middle class a few hundred if we're lucky. Trump's tax cuts did basically nothing for me at all. That's the part that isn't "fair".

You keep talking about something different. We're talking about the state of Iowa going to a flat tax. The flat tax is not a progressive tax system.
OK got it.

No its a fairness based one. (I'm for a consumption tax FTR)

It is my understanding that the state tax reductions are related to a state surplus. As long as that is true, the taxes would be intended to reduce individual tax burden to balance out the surplus.
Otherwise, wouldn't Kim just make it zero now.

I paid over six figures in taxes last year. I’m glad I’m helping pay for the community but I have no confidence it’s going somewhere for the betterment of our country with the amount of money going overseas for currently not a great reason. I think that is the gripe with the people paying taxes currently. Make America First.
I am completely fine with putting money towards Ukraine - I'm a child of the 70s and 80s and I know Russia is NOT our friend. I like being in NATO. Having said that, you are right in many ways because we send billions to other countries that doesn't always make sense to me...feels more like payoffs. There are billions that should stay here in the US. Not for tax breaks for the wealthy but to be invested back into the country. IMO.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Ok. No more discussion here until everyone admits to the following:

“When I say ‘flat tax’, what I REALLY mean is, ‘To tax gross income (meaning, ALL income)’, not some ‘taxable income’ number arrived at after deductions and adjustments. Hell, I’m really fine with varying (progressive) rates on income levels. It’s the write offs that piss me off”.

Reactions: CaboKP
Flat tax is fair. I’m fvcking sick of paying out the ass to the government while others pay nothing. And most peoples definition of “rich” is fvcking laughable.
An income of $250,000/year puts you in the top 4% for household income in the country. What do YOU define as “rich”.

Reactions: BelemNole

You understand that to collect 25% of a million…or more…dollars, the top rate has to be higher than 25%, right? For billionaires, their top rate would have to be much higher. You don’t expect someone making $30K to pay 25% in federal taxes, I assume.

I’m good with that plan.

Reactions: BelemNole
Ok. No more discussion here until everyone admits to the following:

“When I say ‘flat tax’, what I REALLY mean is, ‘To tax gross income (meaning, ALL income)’, not some ‘taxable income’ number arrived at after deductions and adjustments. Hell, I’m really fine with varying (progressive) rates on income levels. It’s the write offs that piss me off”.
To be clear, I have issues/concerns on both sides of this debate. In this case though you have to define deductions when talking gross income. So, someone farming sells all of their grain at the end of the year and that is worth $2M. The inputs (seed, fertilizer, fuel, etc.) are $1.5M. What is your gross income in that scenario.

So families shouldnt get to keep their money? When the parents die the children should have to sell the farm their parents worked hard to own, pay the proceeds in tax and then the children have to buy the million daollar farm back?

This will simply turn Iowa farming into a corporate business model and no one wants to see that. Or at least no normal Iowan anyway.

Again, this generational wealth argument is all about people wondering why others have more and the unfairness of it all. Very few people came to this country wealthy. Most had a family member somewhere that worked their ass off to break ground, take risks, sell a product, all with the goal of supporting their existence and maybe at the end of it all, set their family up for their own success.

If you are born to a dumb ass, lazy, smoking, obese, sucker of the government teat, the climb will be decidedly uphill. But there are lots of programs to help you get a leg up. As long as you dont smoke, eat moon pies and all you can eat buffets, impregnate baby mama, and cook meth.

Get a HS diploma, work hard, dont engage in risky activities, and dont commit crimes and the VAST majority of those folks will break the cycle and create their own generational wealth.

As I have said, I came from parents that raised me in a mobile home. I asked them almost everyday 'when we were getting a house like most of the other kids'. My parents worked hard and made something out of that life and through those lessons I made up my mind to succeed. No one gave me shit. Except for student loan assistance. Loans which I paid back long ago. My parents didn't pay for my college. I worked a full time job while getting my undergrad degree. Yes it sucked. But only through hardship do you learn lessons and garner meaning from life.

You make so much more sense to me now.

In my experience people go one way or another when they come from nothing and make something of themselves.

I know the way you’ve chosen very well. And if you need to ask which way I mean, you’re bad at introspection.

^^^^Pushing the costs to local govt entities.

Property taxes, local option sales taxes, likely removing the homestead exemption...all tricks to make local government the villian.

This just makes no fvcking sense and Dim Kim will be long gone before residents of Mississippi North realize how corrupt she is/was.
More liberal jibberish. Governor Reynolds and the legislature know better than you creeps by about 1,000,000x

Wish that were true, but we know the motives of Terrace Hill.

Mississippi North is fvcked!
Do you currently live in Iowa?

I live here and the state is financially stronger than ever before. The residents of Iowa are reaping the benefits of a well run state.

I take it you prefer a California type model of state government, one where the freebies never stop and the state is bankrupt because of it.

Reactions: chonk
Do you currently live in Iowa?

I live here and the state is financially stronger than ever before. The residents of Iowa are reaping the benefits of a well run state.

I take it you prefer a California type model of state government, one where the freebies never stop and the state is bankrupt because of it.
How would Iowans know if the State's finances are fiscally sound???

Dim Kim won't allow audits to verify our situation.

Just take her word for it?

What’s really nuts whiskey is me NOT paying any Iowa income taxes at all! Our income is SS, pension and RMDs….and well over $100k annually…. But I do not owe the State of Iowa one cent for this “income”.. How phuquin’ much sense does this make? No mortgage, no kids, no real expenses and NO phuquin’ tax bill! And there are a ton of Iowegians living larger than me! It’s absolute phuquin’ fiscal irresponsibility. Iowa’s full of us old folks, too!
Nothing stopping you from sending the state a check.

lol so you think the multi millionaire would get better social security benefits above the 168k? No it’s capped. Why should that individual pay more in?

And as someone else said, I almost puke looking at my social security opportunity 25 years from now and the difference if I invested it myself.

Just goes to show the government is not wise with our money if I get 2% ROI on my money for SS and could get 8-10% doing it myself. It makes you question everything else.
Someone who is better at the investing stuff could chime in on this. Social Security is more than retirement it’s also disability. Would you also come out ahead if you had to buy disability insurance?

My IPERS is pretax contribution and I won’t pay any iowa tax. So is an ira.
I'm a little groogy after a fun night but I believe IRAs go in pre tax but get taxed coming out.

You pay tax on any investment it's just a matter of paying it when it goes in or when it comes out, that's why the power of zero is what it is.

Start with the making 10 million only pays social security tax on first $168,000; Guy making 55k pays it on all his income.

Rich guy can donate to politicians to reduce his tax liability; poor guy can’t.

Rich guy has access to tax advantaged transactions.

Rich guy holds most of his wealth in deferred tax assets.

Rich guy probably got his assets from Daddy with a stepped up basis.

Rich guy likely has legacy admission to better colleges.

Rich guys went to better public schools.

And on and on ….
I don't disagree with a lot - and this has likely been discussed in this thread - but the definition "rich guy" is rather important. For example, some people here like @Hoosierhawkeye thinks making $80K per year is being a rich guy. Other people might say $250K per year is "rich"." Others might say $500K per year. Yet others can reasonable argue rich depends on where you live and what your expenses are. Defining a "rich guy" as a household with a $500K income, I doubt anything more than a small percentage of those family got assets from Daddy with a stepped up basis. To that point, while not mutually exclusive, that would run counter to having most of his wealth in tax-deferred assets (like a 401k).

So, if there is a reasonable upper limit there should be a reasonable lower limit as well. Correct? One that would apply to billionaires as well. Like Jeff Bezos and Donald Trump. They shouldn’t have billions on gross income and pay little to no taxes, correct? The deductions that are carved out only for the wealthy should go away, correct?

I'm a little groogy after a fun night but I believe IRAs go in pre tax but get taxed coming out.

You pay tax on any investment it's just a matter of paying it when it goes in or when it comes out, that's why the power of zero is what it is.
It may be different with state income tax in Iowa. I'm not an expert or enjoying any such revenue stream, so I don't have first-hand knowledge, but that is what Joel indicated.

He’ll be taxed at the federal level but if he’s over 55, he’s exempt from state taxes on retirement income.

I don't disagree with a lot - and this has likely been discussed in this thread - but the definition "rich guy" is rather important. For example, some people here like @Hoosierhawkeye thinks making $80K per year is being a rich guy. Other people might say $250K per year is "rich"." Others might say $500K per year. Yet others can reasonable argue rich depends on where you live and what your expenses are. Defining a "rich guy" as a household with a $500K income, I doubt anything more than a small percentage of those family got assets from Daddy with a stepped up basis. To that point, while not mutually exclusive, that would run counter to having most of his wealth in tax-deferred assets (like a 401k).

For the record I wouldn't define 80k a year as rich unless maybe you are a single person, but generally I don't look at that as "rich".

I mean it's richer than I am but not rich. That's somewhere around median house hold income for today.

My contention however is the line where someone stops being considered middle class should be much lower than it is in the popular imagination.

Reason I say that is people will say something like 50k to 250k is middle class. My issue with that is that 50k is about 37.5% lower than median household income. So in my view that means that the upper limit of "middle class" should be about 37.5% higher than median which would put it at 110k.

My other reasoning is that the middle class should be smaller because if we are defining class we should define it by similar lived economic experiences. And the only thing in common between someone who makes 50k and someone who makes 250k is that neither of them can afford a private jet. But that's just not very much in common. Outside of that small stupid little example their lived economic experiences are VERY VERY different.

I think that might be where you are going with that. But no I don't think 80k is rich. I just detest this idea that someone making 250k is middle class. If you are making more in one year than my house is worth, you and I are not in the same economic class. And quite frankly I believe the reason we go with that is because the people making 250k want to see themselves as like the common man despite their privileged position in society. I believe it's a very weird and difficult thing to admit you are extremely wealthy so those who are wealthy often try to act like they arn't in superficial ways like trying to call themselves "middle class"

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
For the record I wouldn't define 80k a year as rich unless maybe you are a single person, but generally I don't look at that as "rich".

I mean it's richer than I am but not rich. That's somewhere around median house hold income for today.

My contention however is the line where someone stops being considered middle class should be much lower than it is in the popular imagination.

Reason I say that is people will say something like 50k to 250k is middle class. My issue with that is that 50k is about 37.5% lower than median household income. So in my view that means that the upper limit of "middle class" should be about 37.5% higher than median which would put it at 110k.

My other reasoning is that the middle class should be smaller because if we are defining class we should define it by similar lived economic experiences. And the only thing in common between someone who makes 50k and someone who makes 250k is that neither of them can afford a private jet. But that's just not very much in common. Outside of that small stupid little example their lived economic experiences are VERY VERY different.

I think that might be where you are going with that. But no I don't think 80k is rich. I just detest this idea that someone making 250k is middle class. If you are making more in one year than my house is worth, you and I are not in the same economic class. And quite frankly I believe the reason we go with that is because the people making 250k want to see themselves as like the common man despite their privileged position in society. I believe it's a very weird and difficult thing to admit you are extremely wealthy so those who are wealthy often try to act like they arn't in superficial ways like trying to call themselves "middle class"
Sorry, I thought you made that point in another thread awhile back. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

Sorry, I thought you made that point in another thread awhile back. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

I also had a thread where I posted what I thought tax rates should be which is pretty out of line with normal even leftist thought. However one should keep in mind that the numbers I was using for that was "taxable income" and not gross income. So I was talking about income only after all deductions one typically receives. And quite frankly I wouldn't be opposed to increasing deductions people receive. My view is that taxes objectively should aim as much as possible a person's disposable income.

And also I was sort of making some stuff up off the cuff so it probably wasn't one of my best posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT