ADVERTISEMENT

Flopping queen?

DTP2

HR Legend
Apr 22, 2006
I get that Caitlin complaining to the officials can be off putting, but I do not see where she gets the reputation as a flop queen from her haters. She used to fall down after every drive to the basket to try and sell a foul, but I haven't noticed it as much for awhile. Perhaps I'm blind but I see her compared to soccer and NBA players who act like they got shot when there is no contact at all. The collision with the fan and now bumping into McMahon seem to be the only evidence of "flopping" against her. What am I missing?

I get that Caitlin complaining to the officials can be off putting, but I do not see where she gets the reputation as a flop queen from her haters. She used to fall down after every drive to the basket to try and sell a foul, but I haven't noticed it as much for awhile. Perhaps I'm blind but I see her compared to soccer and NBA players who act like they got shot when there is no contact at all. The collision with the fan and now bumping into McMahon seem to be the only evidence of "flopping" against her. What am I missing?

Does it matter….people are bitter and jealous. She is a human being, some people aren’t going to like he just because

I've been waiting all year for her to hurt herself taking a dive after a layup, but I do feel like it improved towards the end of the season. Kachine Alexander is the only Iowa player I can remember hitting the ground as often as Caitlin. My hope is that this will stop next year when she gets to the pros.

She goes down quite a bit. And she always has the ball so it seems like a lot.

When you are a superstar and get tons of media coverage, there will be haters. If the biggest criticism of CC is that she flops, I think she could live with that.

The haters need something to attack her with and she doesn't give them very many options so they go with that.

I think she’s gotten better as she’s also gotten stronger. There were times over the years where I’ll admit she would drive to the hoop in hope of a foul and if she didn’t get it kind of throw her arms up while the other team was streaking down the court the other way. She’s also great at initiating contact and in most cases she gets the call. For years we’ve been complaining about other teams getting star treatment. We now have the biggest star in the game today and yes, she gets some calls. Comes with the territory!

She goes down quite a bit. And she always has the ball so it seems like a lot.

When you are a superstar and get tons of media coverage, there will be haters. If the biggest criticism of CC is that she flops, I think she could live with that.
I seriously believe there are only 3 demographics of CC haters... SEC WBB head coaches, the student section of whatever team Iowa is playing that day, and fans of a certain in-state rival.

Oh, and AirSwoopes.

haters know GIF

That is part of the problem in both the men's and the women's game. Almost all players try to get a call on just about any type of little contact. I wish they would just play without all the antics. And by the way, all offensive players think they get fouled and defenders think they never foul.

The haters need something to attack her with and she doesn't give them very many options so they go with that.
Caitlin is a smaller build, so some of the impact from being fouled might look exaggereated, but in watching her play she does seem to try to "sell" fouls as well. I dont blame her, because she hass so much uncalled contact, and sometimes the only way to draw attention to it is to overreact.

Caitlin is a smaller build, so some of the impact from being fouled might look exaggereated, but in watching her play she does seem to try to "sell" fouls as well. I dont blame her, because she hass so much uncalled contact, and sometimes the only way to draw attention to it is to overreact.
That's called playing basketball. Flopping is standing right behind Hannah Stuelke and when she turns around and bumps into you, you launch backwards like you were just hit by a cement truck.

I seriously believe there are only 3 demographics of CC haters... SEC WBB head coaches, the student section of whatever team Iowa is playing that day, and fans of a certain in-state rival.

Oh, and AirSwoopes.
Fans of a certain school west of Omaha can be included in that as well.

I think flopping without the animation and staring down the ref afterwards is okay.

Although, some players have been able to get away with that for a lonnnng time.

GPG2VHD3Q4C2TLDNX3UAK54KAU.jpg

1b7aad405e3e9fe2003ae45cb82671b9eb5f8a67350845e69afb4d46f617a23a.jpg

LeBron-James-Lakers.jpg

james_original.jpg

Reactions: ggmditka
I think flopping without the animation and staring down the ref afterwards is okay.

Although, some players have been able to get away with that for a lonnnng time.
can you go back to the Jordan pictures of whining for calls? That is where it seemed to really start about complaining to officials for calls. LeBron just went from there.

can you go back to the Jordan pictures of whining for calls? That is where it seemed to really start about complaining to officials for calls. LeBron just went from there.
Different era and way more physical no calls.
Ever hear of Jordan Rules?
Yeah, well, he earned the right to complain.
LaBron, not so much.

i think it's reasonable to say Caitlin has some on-court antics that people don't like and that's ok, basketball isn't a popularity contest and no one is perfect.

Reactions: littlez
Different era and way more physical no calls.
Ever hear of Jordan Rules?
Yeah, well, he earned the right to complain.
LaBron, not so much.
Nope, Jordan made it “ok” to complain. Before him, you complain, you get a T.
One of my favorite players of all time is Shaq. It’s because he got mugged every play and still went to work. He had more no calls against him in a game than Jordan in a season.
Jordan was the start of the trend of being looked at wrong is a foul. For all the great things he did, Jordan begging for calls is the worst of his legacy.

Reactions: ichawk24
I try to see situations from the other side. I would dislike Clark if I was a fan from another school.

But I would like to ask fans and coaches from other schools, would you want Clark on your team? What would you change about her on your team that wouldn't diminish her game?

Nowadays basically every basketball player is complaining about fouls constantly.

I friggin LOVED Tim Duncan, but that guy acted like he never committed a single foul in his life. He would make huge bug eyes at the officials any time he didn't get the call.

Reactions: amahawk
I've been waiting all year for her to hurt herself taking a dive after a layup, but I do feel like it improved towards the end of the season. Kachine Alexander is the only Iowa player I can remember hitting the ground as often as Caitlin. My hope is that this will stop next year when she gets to the pros.
She'll probably take some big hits going to the basket next year...she won't have to flop!
indiana fever basketball GIF

Reactions: Bishop-71
Part of the problem is basketball has no rule or punishment for the flop. Soccer does (whether it’s enforced is another matter) and football does to a degree, although there are punters who become experts at selling even the slightest whiff of contact.

You're just a Lebron hater, he hasn't earned the right to complain? He has 4 rings and 40,000 ****ing points. 20 years at 30 points per game playing 67 out of 82 games per year FYI..
Lebron is mentally soft. Jordan never left the Bulls to chase rings. He had a team built around him and turned role players into champions. Kerr, Paxson, Rodman, Cartwright, Grant, BJ, Bobby Hansen and more... Lebron left town and recruited his teams.

Lebron is mentally soft. Jordan never left the Bulls to chase rings. He had a team built around him and turned role players into champions. Kerr, Paxson, Rodman, Cartwright, Grant, BJ, Bobby Hansen and more... Lebron left town and recruited his teams.
Re-read that sentence you typed.. “he had a team built around him”. Jordan didn’t have to leave because he had 3 hall of famers on his team lol.. Rodman was a champion before the bulls and also defensive player of the year before the bulls. Look at who Lebron had on his team the year before he decided to leave, and you can’t include a 40 year old Shaq. He gave Cleveland 7 year chance to bring in stars around him and they failed to do so, I’d leave too!

Reactions: nelly02

I really think she needs to cut way down on putting out her arms to the refs and therefore the crowd when she thinks the refs miss a foul call. It is like crying wolf when you do it all the time as it loses its meaning. She especially needs to do it in the pros and I hope the Wnba has better refs. Just play and when there is a really bad call/non call (if you called all the fouls everyone would foul out) then she can throw her arms out etc.

I am not going to say much about her going to the floor after a hard drive because most of us have played even enough pick up bball to know when you are moving fast or in the air and you get bumped you can easily lose your equilibrium and lose having your feet under you.

Regarding CC layups where she end up on the floor. I don't think she's falling down on purpose.

You see it a LOT in Men's games too .., player driving hard to the hoop, working around others to get free and puts up a shot when they are a little unbalanced, gets nudged by a defender and hits the floor. Payton Sandfort seems to be on the floor a lot too.

It's pretty common in basketball. I don't think it's a foul or a flop.

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
You're just a Lebron hater, he hasn't earned the right to complain? He has 4 rings and 40,000 ****ing points. 20 years at 30 points per game playing 67 out of 82 games per year FYI..
True, I'm not a fan. But still, it's not anywhere near as physical now; plus he's a lot bigger physically than MJ, so his complaining looks a lot worse. The point made by @hoffmkr above re Shaq is more legit.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Can she get on the cover of SI for what she is doing for womens basektball, more than stats?

Re-read that sentence you typed.. “he had a team built around him”. Jordan didn’t have to leave because he had 3 hall of famers on his team lol.. Rodman was a champion before the bulls and also defensive player of the year before the bulls. Look at who Lebron had on his team the year before he decided to leave, and you can’t include a 40 year old Shaq. He gave Cleveland 7 year chance to bring in stars around him and they failed to do so, I’d leave too!
Jordan made them hall of farmers. Rodman bounced around the league because he was unstable and truly crazy. Pippin became the man and found out he isn't the man. All of a sudden became the man again when Jordan came back. Jordan made them.

LeBron is a freak athlete that chased rings. I don't quite get the hate on that and see it as players becoming more in charge of their own careers. Players used to get trapped by teams that were shit or had zero interest in actually building to win. LeBron should be celebrated somewhat for breaking the ownerships iron grip on players. He is not and never will be Jordan but he absolutely is one of the best players of all time. Who the hell doesn't want rings? By the way Magic Johnson held the Lakers hostage a bit to get the salary he wanted coming out of college. Pretty sure that was viewed the same way then.

Lol - You just made the argument against yourself in the same segment. The Bulls built a team with multiple All-Stars around Jordan - Cleveland didn't bring in a single quality player for Lebron in 7 years, of course he finally had to leave.

I really think she needs to cut way down on putting out her arms to the refs and therefore the crowd when she thinks the refs miss a foul call. It is like crying wolf when you do it all the time as it loses its meaning. She especially needs to do it in the pros and I hope the Wnba has better refs. Just play and when there is a really bad call/non call (if you called all the fouls everyone would foul out) then she can throw her arms out etc.

I am not going to say much about her going to the floor after a hard drive because most of us have played even enough pick up bball to know when you are moving fast or in the air and you get bumped you can easily lose your equilibrium and lose having your feet under you.
Women are much easier to knock over than men, too. It’s why a 250 lb court stormer could send Caitlin flying after bumping into her—even if it didn’t look like much contact.

I do not think it is an act falling down going to the basket. She goes hard. But throwing the arms back is a little dramatic sometimes. She just likes to bait the refs like most players do. I think she could limit her facial expressions sometimes. But most great players think they get fouled when missing a layup ;)

Not sure I’d say Caitlin is a big flopper, but I do think she complains too much. The only thing I don’t like about her game—BUT most definitely not a reason to hate her. I’ve seen loads of complaining throughout the women’s game, but Caitlin gets the hate. Because, jealousy.

One more thought. The men do not openly argue with the refs nearly as much because they’d get a tech for it. I wish the women‘s refs were better, but I think it’s bad for the game if the players show too much disrespect. Let the coaches do the talking.

Reactions: hawkedoff
True, I'm not a fan. But still, it's not anywhere near as physical now; plus he's a lot bigger physically than MJ, so his complaining looks a lot worse. The point made by @hoffmkr above re Shaq is more legit.
Problem is to an extent, because he is so big and strong refs don’t call as many fouls because he’s able to fight through contact so easily that it doesn’t look like he was fouled as the shot wasn’t affected at all.

Jordan is lucky to be alive after the fouls he took on the court to stop him. It was full on assault with intent to hurt him.

Shaq was founded a lot. Jordan was hit in a way that if people did it off the court they would go to prison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT