ADVERTISEMENT

Florida people, help me out with restaurant recommendations for Clearwater beach

Portnoy also visited more than a dozen Tampa Bay pizza spots including:
  • Brooklyn Pizza Company
  • Cristino's Coal Oven Pizza
  • Delosa’s Pizza
  • DiGiorgio’s Pizzeria
  • Forbici
  • Joey Brooklyn’s
  • The Nona Slice House
  • Madison Avenue Pizza
  • Marina’s Pizza & Pasta
  • Lee’s Grocery
  • Pipers Scratch Pizza Shop
  • Sally O'Neal's Pizza Hotline
  • Toby’s Little Italy Pizza
  • The Violet Stone
  • Santoro’s
Damn, I feel like we go out a lot but I haven't been to any of those places. Will try to start with Toby's based on your recommendation TC.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I only go to two places and they are both far from Tampa. For NY style, Toby’s Little Italy in St Pete. For Chicago thin crust, Puck’s & Pizza in Dunedin on Alt-19. Puck’s is a one man food truck with limited hours. The owner worked at Lou Malnati’s in Chicago and his pizzas are very good. Toby’s has been around for 50 years and is very good and consistent.

There are probably other places that are good but these two are so reliable that I haven’t tried anywhere else in ages. I will check out anything that Portnoy gives a good score.

The community scores on Portnoy’s app are usually pretty reliable. He says if a place has a hundred reviews and a rating in the high 7s or higher then it’s likely going to be good. They use the ratings from the app when they are pick places for him to visit.

I looked on the app for Wesley Chapel. There isn’t much there. Fresco Pizza in Lutz has 18 reviews a 7.4 rating. I’d give that a try if I lived near there.

I try to avoid Wesley Chapel- it is a wasteland of chain places. I haven't been in a while but Best NY Pizza of WC was pretty good a few years ago, used to go there some after games when my sons would play at the county park near there.

I thought Sardo’s on Ulmerton should have been on his visit list. Maybe not. On the app, the community rates it a 7.1 with around 30 reviews. The community grades hard. They gave Toby’s a 7.4 with around 50 reviews. Portnoy gave Toby’s a 7.7-7.8, which is where I would rate it.

From reading various FB comments, a couple places in Dunedin and Safety Harbor had pretty high scores from Portnoy. I’m looking forward to seeing the video reviews.

Joey Brooklyn’s in downtown St Pete, which has won or been a finalist in the annual Weekly Planet/Creative Loafing pizza competitions got slammed by Portnoy. He gave it a mid 5s score. The app community gave it a 6.6.

I try to avoid Wesley Chapel- it is a wasteland of chain places. I haven't been in a while but Best NY Pizza of WC was pretty good a few years ago, used to go there some after games when my sons would play at the county park near there.

I’ve had some decent pizzas from the terribly named Pizza Mania. It’s run by some family members who also own a similarly named mom and pop in Garfield New Jersey. Unfortunately, it’s not a true New Jersey/Trenton style tomato pie. Instead it’s kind of midway between a New York City Thin and a Boston style pizza. So a little thicker and doughier than typical NYC style.

I’ve had some decent pizzas from the terribly named Pizza Mania. It’s run by some family members who also own a similarly named mom and pop in Garfield New Jersey. Unfortunately, it’s not a true New Jersey/Trenton style tomato pie. Instead it’s kind of midway between a New York City Thin and a Boston style pizza. So a little thicker and doughier than typical NYC style.

It sounds like a NJ Boardwalk style pizza. I had one at Manco and Manco's in Ocean City last year. It was very good.

NJ Boardwalk Pizza on Pizza Making forums

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I only go to two places and they are both far from Tampa. For NY style, Toby’s Little Italy in St Pete. For Chicago thin crust, Puck’s & Pizza in Dunedin on Alt-19. Puck’s is a one man food truck with limited hours. The owner worked at Lou Malnati’s in Chicago and his pizzas are very good. Toby’s has been around for 50 years and is very good and consistent.

There are probably other places that are good but these two are so reliable that I haven’t tried anywhere else in ages. I will check out anything that Portnoy gives a good score.

The community scores on Portnoy’s app are usually pretty reliable. He says if a place has a hundred reviews and a rating in the high 7s or higher then it’s likely going to be good. They use the ratings from the app when they are pick places for him to visit.

I looked on the app for Wesley Chapel. There isn’t much there. Fresco Pizza in Lutz has 18 reviews a 7.4 rating. I’d give that a try if I lived near there.

So while I haven’t been to Fresco Pizza, I have been to Pizza Mania which is my favorite in the area. When I looked up Fresco just now I noticed that they have the exact same menu as Pizza Mania and both claim to be run by transplants from New Jersey with the same backstory. So they’re clearly a small chain just using different names for locations (that’s true in Tallahassee where Milano Pizza and Village Pizza are the same as well as Gaines Street Pies and Midtown Pies). And Pizza Mania is pretty decent. I’m not saying it’s my top 10 pizza in the world but whenever I visit my sister who lives in Wesley Chapel, I prefer to eat there. It wouldn’t be my favorite in Tally, I’d probably have it around 5th or 6th, definitely after Isabella’s, Solles, Decent Pizza and Momo’s but still ahead of even good chains like Blaze and Uncle Maddio’s.

Last edited:
Two places on the beach and one downtown had low score reviews. Today he has a place in Kenwood just north of downtown St Pete that I will definitely try.

They messed up the first pizza because they were breaking in a new oven. He let them make a second pizza and took a couple points off. They are from Philly and make their own cheesesteak rolls.

Pizza 7.9, would have been an 8.1.

Cheesesteak 9.2. His highest cheesesteak score in Philly is 9.4, at Angelo’s

Barstool Pizza Review - The Violet Stone (St. Petersburg, FL) Bonus Cheesesteak Review

Last edited:
Reactions: seminoledq
Two places on the beach and one downtown had low score reviews. Today he has a place in Kenwood just north of downtown St Pete that I will definitely try.

They messed up the first pizza because they were breaking in a new oven. He let them make a second pizza and took a couple points off. They are from Philly and make their own cheesesteak rolls.

Barstool Pizza Review - The Violet Stone (St. Petersburg, FL) Bonus Cheesesteak Review

What's that green shit on the pizza? He should have disqualified that pie on principle.

Had to google where this one was at after I saw the review. Definitely off the beaten path. We'll have to check it out.

Portnoy gives a 7.8 to Pizza Box on Central, near the baseball stadium.

Barstool Pizza Review - Pizza Box (St. Petersburg, FL) presented by Rhoback

I’ve heard good things about this place but never been there

Pizza 7.4
Rum cake dessert 9.2

Barstool Pizza Review - Brooklyn Pizza Company (Seminole, FL) Presented by DraftKings

Cristino’s 7.8

Barstool Pizza Review - Cristino's Coal Oven Pizza (Clearwater, FL) presented by Rhoback

Three pizzas reviewed at NONA Slice House in Safety Harbor. I am definitely going to try this place.

NY style 7.8
Old World style 8.1
Detroit style 7.9

Attention @FSUTribe76 according to Portnoy, the Old World Style pizza reminded him of Trenton Tomato Pie

Barstool Pizza Review - The NONA Slice House (Safety Harbor, FL)

348s.jpg

I haven't read a single word of this thread, but when we went to CWB in 5th grade, Dad insisted we eat at the Original Hooters. Upon seeing the talent on display, this small town Iowa boy didn't know whether he was on horseback or on foot.

Three pizzas reviewed at NONA Slice House in Safety Harbor. I am definitely going to try this place.

NY style 7.8
Old World style 8.1
Detroit style 7.9

Attention @FSUTribe76 according to Portnoy, the Old World Style pizza reminded him of Trenton Tomato Pie

Barstool Pizza Review - The NONA Slice House (Safety Harbor, FL)

Thanks for the heads up! The simple plain tomato pie with mustard at Papa’s Tomato Pies just outside of Trenton is my favorite pizza of any style, anywhere. Narrowly edging out the pepperoni pizza pie at Totonno’s on Coney Island NYC. Although the tomato pie was created in Trenton around the same time as NYC invented the “pizza pie” and years before the Italians figured out you could add tomato sauce with mozzarella (the original margherita pizzas which outdates the pizza pie and the tomato pies from America had three separate areas of only mozzarella, only basil and only tomato sauce to look like the Italian flag and only years later were the three served mixed like a pizza pie), the addition of a mustard put on and cooked before the addition of the tomatoes and mozzarella was a fortuitous discovery in the 1980s. Not all of the tomato pies have mustard unless you request it but there is definitely an improvement when mustard is added.

I will definitely check out Nona’s and see how accurate your guy’s assessment is. I’ve definitely had several high end versions of NYC pizza pies, Connecticut apizzas and Trenton tomato pies and came away slightly preferring the Trenton tomato pies. Mainly because when I tried the pepperoni version of the Trenton style pizzas I was almost annoyed with their presence while I found they really helped out the NYC style.

So far my favorite thick crust pizza is the Detroit style. But later this week I’m going to be making authentic Roman pizza Al taglio (Roman thick crust) which I’ve never had but looks amazing. It’s essentially a big bubbly sourdough bread that’s fried in olive oil. So it sounds great. I’ve had the Roman thin style pizza and liked it but preferred the American takes and neopolitan versions. But the big fluffy sour dough version sounds great.

I’ve been waiting for this review. This is next to University of Tampa and fairly close to my house. I haven’t been there but have heard good things.

Barstool Pizza Review - Santoro's Pizzeria (Tampa, FL)

In Palm Harbor, at a Buffalo themed pizzeria called Pizza Joes Taste of Buffalo, a sub that typically can only be found in Buffalo.

@Nole Lou what can you tell us about the Royal Sub? It looks really good. They use rolls from a bakery in Buffalo.

On Tuesdays they have Taco Pizza. I can see that they don’t use enough chips.

I will drive over there to try the Royal Sub. I will be in the QC suburbs in the next six weeks so I will wait until then to have a taco pizza

Last edited:
In Palm Harbor, at a Buffalo themed pizzeria called Pizza Joes Taste of Buffalo, a sub that typically can only be found in Buffalo.

@Nole Lou what can you tell us about the Royal Sub? It looks really good. They use rolls from a bakery in Buffalo.

Oh my god a Royal Sub is fantastic, its the best sub. It's italian sausage and capicola. Usually melted with provolone, or maybe mozz. It looks like that might be homemade italian sausage, which would be phenomenal. The royal sub inspires my favorite sandwich to make at home, which is an italian sausage link grilled, prov melted on it, and nestled in a hard roll in a bed of capicola. I usually top that with peppers and onions, whereas a royal sub would be lettuce tomato and onions.

In my experience, you really can't buy Italian sausage patties around Atlanta. I've tried making them a couple times with poor results.

But the best part...the rolls they are talking about are undoubtedly from Constanzos in Buffalo. And they indeed are unparalleled. If you grow up eating subs on Costanzos rolls in Buffalo, you'll miss them your whole life. They also make the best burger and weck rolls.

AF1QipOOod5XPSXDYOsOj1OO76b8ihYqFOcG4wksQWJV=s680-w680-h510

There was a pizza place here north of Atlanta about 15 minutes from me that had Buffalo style stuff, and he too used to get the sub rolls shipped from Costanzos. But tragically they closed during the pandemic.

Oh my god a Royal Sub is fantastic, its the best sub. It's italian sausage and capicola. Usually melted with provolone, or maybe mozz. It looks like that might be homemade italian sausage, which would be phenomenal. The royal sub inspires my favorite sandwich to make at home, which is an italian sausage link grilled, prov melted on it, and nestled in a hard roll in a bed of capicola. I usually top that with peppers and onions, whereas a royal sub would be lettuce tomato and onions.

In my experience, you really can't buy Italian sausage patties around Atlanta. I've tried making them a couple times with poor results.

But the best part...the rolls they are talking about are undoubtedly from Constanzos in Buffalo. And they indeed are unparalleled. If you grow up eating subs on Costanzos rolls in Buffalo, you'll miss them your whole life. They also make the best burger and weck rolls.

There was a pizza place here north of Atlanta about 15 minutes from me that had Buffalo style stuff, and he too used to get the sub rolls shipped from Costanzos. But tragically they closed during the pandemic.

Italian sausage may be the easiest you can make at home other than American sage breakfast sausage. You want to start with about 20% fat which is achievable with about a 3:1 ratio of shoulder to belly if you want to grind yourself. Then add in dried (not fresh) basil, oregano, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper and fresh ground fennel seeds (if you’re being cheap, fennel pollen if being fancy). Then you just need a splash of red wine vinegar (get some good stuff you can drink not the cheap crap), a sprinkle of dark brown sugar and some Himalayan rock salt freshly ground. That will get you a very useable basic Italian sausage. Then you can plus it up however you see fit by adding in some by fish sauce (garam would be authentic), cane syrup, black sugar, high end soy sauce, red pepper flakes, gochugaru, stuffing it in a casing and smoking it, adding American bacon etc…

Yes, that is the bakery

Last edited:
This post has a picture of a box of sausage patties from Mineo and Sapio in Buffalo

Recently they were looking for someone to bring Loganberry syrup down from Buffalo. I have no idea what that is or on which dish it is used. Based on the replies, it’s popular

Recently they were looking for someone to bring Loganberry syrup down from Buffalo. I have no idea what that is or on which dish it is used. Based on the replies, it’s popular

Haha. So Loganberry is a drink, its not used in a dish. By syrup, it's either the syrup packs that you run through a regular soda fountain, but without carbonation (like lemonade), or it's just concentrated syrup that you mix with water in one of those lemonade bubbler dispensers that restaurants used to have.

ph_1000x1000_model-d35-4.jpg

Loganberry is like a very sweet fake juice, based on no actual fruit juice that I know of. It's maybe an acquired taste, kids love it, and if you don't grow out of it, you can love it as an adult as well. But if you just try it now, and you should just to try it, you're really going to get that corn syrup Hawaiian Punch fake juice vibe.

That beef on weck actually look excellent. Even in Buffalo about 70% of the beef on wecks aren't worth eating, but that looks fantastic. They seem to really know what they are doing.

It's absolutely a shame that Atlanta doesn't have a solid Buffalo place any more. The one they had, Gallas, has now changed owners too many times I think, and nobody has a connection to Buffalo anymore. It's ok but not as good as most cities have.

Charlotte has several excellent Buffalo places.

Even in Buffalo about 70% of the beef on wecks aren't worth eating

I had one at a place called Charlie the Butcher's Kitchen near the Buffalo airport that was really mediocre.

I will try the beef on weck at this place in Palm Harbor.

Last edited:
I had one at a place called Charlie the Butcher's Kitchen near the Buffalo airport that was really mediocre.

I will try the beef on weck at this place in Palm Harbor.

Yeah, when I give people recommendations for Buffalo food, I usually don't even suggest beef on weck. There's like 4 places I know of, and probably another 10 I don't know, that make a good one. But every place in Buffalo HAS one, but they're usually bad. Because nothing about it lends itself to keeping...there's no way to have a beef on weck on standby that ends up being good. So if you aren't a restaurant that sells hundreds a day, it's going to suck.

I normally do consider Charlie the Butcher to be a "if you really want one, it will be of a minimum quality enough to enjoy it" place. Like, if you're back in town and want to get one to say you did, it's fine. That's disappointing if it isn't even that good anymore. I prefer Anderson's, also near the airport in that category though, it's generally just fine. That's where I've gone for years if I didn't make a special trip to Swistons in North Tonawanda.

But basically, a weck roll lasts at most 24 hours, so they need to be getting fresh weck rolls daily, and the beef is only really good if it's been cooked and sliced that morning. Only certain places sell enough to make that practical, but Charlie the Butcher should certainly be one of them. But who knows how any place is cutting corners these days.

I hope that palm harbor one is good. It looks good, at least they're trying.

I normally just whip them up at home with sliced deli roast beef in au jus, and a fake ass weck roll I hack from kaiser rolls. It's fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT