ADVERTISEMENT

Florida QB recruit leaves after 8 million $ NIL deal falls through

HawkeyePA

HR All-State
Mar 27, 2012
Not Wrestling but Florida Gators lost Jaden Rashada a 4 star recruit AFTER his 8.1 million dollar NIL deal fell through. This NIL will be like the wild west for college sports with only a few big colleges able to pay the price for the biggest and best wrestling recruits. It is already playing out and the NCAA will have a hell of a time trying to reign this mess in. The idea of paying these High school kids for their NIL is even worse and it has already started here in Pennsylvania. The future doesn't look bright and the Transfer Portal is looking a lot like Free Agency in professional sports. Am i the only person who sees an 8 MILLION DOLLAR DEAL as scary for an unproven commodity.

Not Wrestling but Florida Gators lost Jaden Rashada a 4 star recruit AFTER his 8.1 million dollar NIL deal fell through. This NIL will be like the wild west for college sports with only a few big colleges able to pay the price for the biggest and best wrestling recruits. It is already playing out and the NCAA will have a hell of a time trying to reign this mess in. The idea of paying these High school kids for their NIL is even worse and it has already started here in Pennsylvania. The future doesn't look bright and the Transfer Portal is looking a lot like Free Agency in professional sports. Am i the only person who sees an 8 MILLION DOLLAR DEAL as scary for an unproven commodity.
After a few bad investments I’d assume the Nil will turn into a more performance based thing. Not all 4/5 stars turn into good college players. When those nil deals turn sour, I wonder what legal precedent will happen. I’ll laugh when these nil collectives get sued for breach of contract.

Personally I think it’s absurd that a high schooler is getting 8 mil for being a good high school football player. Pay for play is more likely to take place in football and basketball because those sports being in money. Though I’m sure it’s happening in wrestling too. I can’t imagine Real Woods didn’t get some cash for his transfer.

Florida still hasn’t released him from his letter of intent he signed in December. If they don’t, he won’t be playing anywhere else.

After a few bad investments I’d assume the Nil will turn into a more performance based thing. Not all 4/5 stars turn into good college players. When those nil deals turn sour, I wonder what legal precedent will happen. I’ll laugh when these nil collectives get sued for breach of contract.

Personally I think it’s absurd that a high schooler is getting 8 mil for being a good high school football player. Pay for play is more likely to take place in football and basketball because those sports being in money. Though I’m sure it’s happening in wrestling too. I can’t imagine Real Woods didn’t get some cash for his transfer.
I can only wonder what happens when a Freshman athlete decides he doesn't want to take orders or direction from a coach that he gets paid 4 or 5 times as much as... this whole NIL deal will be the ruination of competitive conferences because of spending alone.

... It is already playing out and the NCAA will have a hell of a time trying to reign this mess in. The idea of paying these High school kids for their NIL is even worse and it has already started here in Pennsylvania. The future doesn't look bright and the Transfer Portal is looking a lot like Free Agency in professional sports....
And who will ‘reign this mess in’? Certainly not the same group who created this ‘mess’. Namely the National Collegiate Athletic Association. And most certainly do not anticipate the United States Congress to create/write legislation unscrambling a few trivial NCAA predicaments (today's congress write legislation, really). The NCAA is no longer exempt from antitrust scrutiny; see NCAA v. Alston.

Collective bargaining does seem to provide a pathway forward.

I saw the other day that Tate Naak signed a NIL already. I knew high schoolers were starting to get in on the action but this is the first Iowa high schooler I’ve heard of getting a deal.

• Wow
Reactions: IRONBIRD
I saw the other day that Tate Naak signed a NIL already. I knew high schoolers were starting to get in on the action but this is the first Iowa high schooler I’ve heard of getting a deal.
Somebody posted on here a week or 2 ago for Ryder Block T-shirt’s. So Ryder might be the first Iowa high school wrestler.

Reactions: tiltman
I think it should be fine for a kid to sell T-shirts etc and I think most of the NIL deals are pretty small. Something like advertise my sports drink or restaurant on your social media pages and I will give you 1,000 dollars. Come to my restaurant and I will give you a free meal once a week.
That being said, some deals are crazy and definitely go against the nature of sports for the pureness of the sport and for the intrinsic benefits of struggling and overcoming adversity etc to develop as a well rounded human.

I’ve argued with a numbers of folks who somehow think the NIL is a good idea. A few individuals are going to make out every year to the detriment of collegiate sports as a whole.
So you don't think Ryder Block should be able to sell t shirts with his image on them and keep the profits? That seems kind of, oh what's the word... unconstitutional.

Reactions: burk11
thr market correction is happening faster than I thought.
The economy of this country is market driven. The free-market should determine my (the athlete's) value. The NCAA should determine my value? Please, no thank-you.

Last edited:
So you don't think Ryder Block should be able to sell t shirts with his image on them and keep the profits? That seems kind of, oh what's the word... unconstitutional.
I couldn’t give 2 sh*ts what he does with his image/ likeness. I don’t like the University paying athletes 6-7 figures to play college sports. As a parent of two college bound teens who will not be receiving athletic services, free college is payment enough for someone’s athletic services IMHO.

Selling t-shirts for a profit? Unconstitutional? For the longest time I've been trying to find that word. Spot-on!

I couldn’t give 2 sh*ts what he does with his image/ likeness. I don’t like the University paying athletes 6-7 figures to play college sports. As a parent of two college bound teens who will not be receiving athletic services, free college is payment enough for someone’s athletic services IMHO.
The University isn't paying athletes. You should probably figure out this whole NIL thing as it appears you don't know what you're talking about. All this does is allow athletes the same chance at making money that regular students (like your sons will be) have had for decades. It would be pretty silly if your sons were prevented from profiting off a t shirt with their faces on it just because they decided to go to college.

I do think the market will fix this. I laughed when the swarm came asking for money from me. I can think of a ton of causes I would rather give to. I also thought it was insane that guys got in such big trouble for getting free tattoos at Ohio State. We are going to find a line somewhere in the middle and I think it will work out.

The economy of this country is market driven. The free-market should determine my (the athlete's) value. The NCAA should determine my value? Please, no thank-you.
I never said it should. I'm saying these initial amounts out to college prospects will soon correct to real market value.

Reactions: Trapper85
The University isn't paying athletes. You should probably figure out this whole NIL thing as it appears you don't know what you're talking about. All this does is allow athletes the same chance at making money that regular students (like your sons will be) have had for decades. It would be pretty silly if your sons were prevented from profiting off a t shirt with their faces on it just because they decided to go to college.

so the swarm pays these players based on their name, image, or likeness? can the swarm then turnaround and sell t-shirts with their faces on it and keep the profit?

Swarm paid the athlete for their NIL...and plastered it on a t-shirt and sold it...is that their right?

Reactions: Hawkdiver
I never said it should. I'm saying these initial amounts out to college prospects will soon correct to real market value.
I'm in complete agreement with your initial comment, my intention was to support your POV. "Let the market decide" (my value).

Reactions: Fan In Black
I do think the market will fix this. I laughed when the swarm came asking for money from me. I can think of a ton of causes I would rather give to. I also thought it was insane that guys got in such big trouble for getting free tattoos at Ohio State. We are going to find a line somewhere in the middle and I think it will work out.
I am not a fan of NIL, but I keep seeing people make this statement and I am wondering how many of them are actually following through on it.

Just out of curiosity, what cause or charity did you choose to give your $20/month to over SWARM, which pays student-athletes for their service to the community (e.g. spending quality time with the kids at the University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital, delivering groceries/meals to the elderly, etc)?

If NIL is going to be a thing, at least SWARM is going about it in a way I can get behind. Laugh all you want, but do you think Caleb Williams and Bryce Young are volunteering their spare time outside of football to earn their NIL dollars?

Last edited:
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
(Ahem) The NCAA vs Alston case allows for the University to financially compensate its athletes. The athletes are also able to receive financial compensation from
athletic boosters. This was a violation prior to the ruling. (See Reggie Bush) Again who cares about the kids face on a T-shirt, or getting some chump change from the local watering hole by naming a drink or menu item after the athlete? I get we are in the “It’s all about me generation” but I don’t have to like it.

We keep coming back to this. It is not really "free market paying what someone is worth." It is rich donors paying whatever it takes to bring a kid in and possible buy a championship. The problems with this are several. Bad investments while running a company, hurt that company. This is not the same as that! Also using wrestlings 9.9 scholarships as an example. It is at least and attempt to keep a level playing field.

We have all seen as of late what can happen if one team does not have to worry about the 9.9! Now most teams in most sports, are not going to be able to offer much if anything as far as NIL$$$. So the gap becomes even greater. Also as far as everyone believing it is Free Market? It really is not because there are rules already about who can throw $$$ at these kids. For example maybe Marlboro or Budweiser would love to have some kids endorse their products.

If it was truly free, then they obviously could. I get this is not exactly a perfect example about how free market works, but it is to make a point. The NCAA is still going to have rules, and more then likely. More and more rules because they did not spend enough time thinking this through.

The "T-shirt" sales is an example that keeps getting thrown out there. That would seem to me to be more about what this is about. If a kid wants to design a shirt, or he comes up with an idea. By all means they should be able to make $$$$. Problem is, how do you regulate it? OK, Joe Jones the 5 star QB is selling shirts. Mr. $$$$ bags, " I'll buy 8 Million dollars worth!!!

We are in the wild west!!!

GREAT time to be a top athlete!!! One possible thing this could hopefully do is create more opportunities for kids to go to college and play sports? Like if I am paying a kid, maybe I do so saying part is going to cover tuition. That leaves some for someone else.

I am not a fan of NIL, but I keep seeing people make this statement and I am wondering how many of them are actually following through on it.

Just out of curiosity, what cause or charity did you choose to give your $20/month to over SWARM, which pays student-athletes for their service to the community (e.g. spending quality time with the kids at the University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital, delivering groceries/meals to the elderly, etc)?

If NIL is going to be a thing, at least SWARM is going about it in a way I can get behind. Laugh all you want, but do you think Caleb Williams and Bryce Young are volunteering their spare time outside of football to earn their NIL dollars?
Monthly Compassion International and United Way, yearly around the holidays HCAAP, periodically various animal rescues and personal go fund mes.

I do think that what SWARM is trying to do is somewhat better then some other schools I just don't see giving athletes money in the same way I see other things. More power to those that want to give to SWARM I would never try to tell others how to spend their money.

I do think that what SWARM is trying to do is somewhat better then some other schools I just don't see giving athletes money in the same way I see other things. More power to those that want to give to SWARM I would never try to tell others how to spend their money.
That's awesome. I am also not attempting to tell you how to spend your money, just simply pushing back on your laughing at the idea of donating to SWARM.

I can only wonder what happens when a Freshman athlete decides he doesn't want to take orders or direction from a coach that he gets paid 4 or 5 times as much as... this whole NIL deal will be the ruination of competitive conferences because of spending alone.
It will correct itself. This stuff is insanity.
Implosion is imminent and it's already happening.

It is rich donors paying whatever it takes to bring a kid in and possible buy a championship.
I suspect this will only be a small percentage of NIL deals, although those will be highly influential. But a very high percentage of total deals will still be the little guy and the smaller business each making a few bucks with little influence on championships.

Reactions: lookleft goright
We keep coming back to this. It is not really "free market paying what someone is worth." It is rich donors paying whatever it takes to bring a kid in and possible buy a championship. T
This is, like, definitionally what somebody is worth. It's literally whatever somebody is willing to pay. That's the Free Market.

Reactions: el dub
Brock Purdy signed a 4 year, $3,737,008contract with the San Francisco 49ers, $77,008 signing bonus, $77,008 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $934,252.

This kid was promised 8 mil? However, he didn’t have an agent. This kid should have done a little research. I think he got sucked into a deal to good to be true.

I think it’s relative to the sport. I have a D1 mid major softball player who has basically zero options for NIL’s. She works just as hard as the power 5 girls and there is just no money out there for her. Not complaining because she is getting 4 years of college paid for(she started right away). Football and basketball is where the money is. There are a few wrestling programs taking advantage of this Mendez is not a Hawk for a reason. Can’t say I blame kids going after money I know what it takes for these kids to compete and still try to be a student. Not all the sports have a professional outlet. Wrestling and softball have Olympics and that’s about it. Crazy my two favorite sports by far and feel for the kids as there is not a ton of money after school like football and basketball anyway.

Good thing the university isnt paying them then.

Serious question: Why?
Fair ask. Easy (and weak) answer is that 'them there are the rules', so follow them. As to why I support that rule, just reflects my values. I value capitalism, but don't worship it or even support it in all cases. U's are public not private institutions, with numerous values/purposes besides $. Don't care what some outsider pays a student athlete once there, but prefer to ensure as balanced a playing field in recruiting as possible. Just like the intent of max 9.9 schollies. Heck, even in most pro sports the athletes don't get to pick their first team based on highest bidder. Draft, they pick you, and order based on worst to best team from last year. Aiming for balance. Anyway, just my opinion/values, won't argue with those that disagree.

Reactions: el dub

Wait, SWARM pays the athlete for their community service? If that is the case, it is not community service, nor is it volunteer work, it is a job just like any other.

Spend your money how you like, but in my opinion, the money would be better spent directly on the charity buying the food for the needy, not the athletes delivering the food for the photo op.

Is money paid to these NIL endeavors actually considered to be charitable contributions for tax purposes? If they are, that is B.S. Agian, in my opinion.

I get the same chuckle out of this kind of virtue signaling. Furthermore, there’s also this revolutionary concept of giving to more than one charity. I’ve read the entire IRS code and found that they do, in fact, allow donations to more than just one. So theoretically, one could give to SWARM in addition to an unlimited number of more worthy causes. I know it sounds crazy, but it’s completely legal. In fact, I bet hundreds of Iowa fans are doing just that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT