ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Theocrats Wasting More Time...

You say there is religious freedom....I say there is freedom FROM religion in this nation. .

I didn't say that. Where did I say that? You're just making stuff up now. It's called the "establishment clause".

You have no such right to not be exposed to religion. You made that up. You know how everyone can tell you made that up? "God" is on our money. And if you use money, it's really not that important to you. Stop inventing rights that don't exist.

I didn't say that. Where did I say that? You're just making stuff up now. It's called the "establishment clause".

You have no such right to not be exposed to religion. You made that up. You know how everyone can tell you made that up? "God" is on our money. And if you use money, it's really not that important to you. Stop inventing rights that don't exist.
I don't have the right not to hear your religious blather? Interesting. No wonder you believe you have the right to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their body.
Can you just leave folks alone?....or is it your duty to tell folks how they need to live their life so you will be satisfied? I was born and raised in a town about half full of the latter....and they are the reason I am what I am today. See...it doesn't work!

I don't have the right not to hear your religious blather? Interesting. No wonder you believe you have the right to tell someone what they can and cannot do with their body.
Can you just leave folks alone?....or is it your duty to tell folks how they need to live their life so you will be satisfied? I was born and raised in a town about half full of the latter....and they are the reason I am what I am today. See...it doesn't work!

Yes, people are allowed to preach in public.

FSU had a crazy old black guy who would preach on campus all the time.

Being that I'm 100% pro-choice, you fool, once again we find you making stuff up. Again, nowhere in the constitution does it say a person can't stand on the corner and preach the Bible because you have ears that don't want to hear it. Their free speech doesn't go away because of your made up right to not want to hear anything you don't like.

I usually don't find borish behavior a challenge. I find folks who wear their religion on their sleeve are 1) not real confident in what they believe or 2) not real smart, or 3) a combination of both. Politics has no place in religion and religion has no place in politics. Both could use a sizable dose of ethics. I shy away from folks whom wrap themselves in the flag and carry a Bible. Not my kettle of fish.
I usually don't find borish behavior a challenge. I find folks who wear their religion on their sleeve are 1) not real confident in what they believe or 2) not real smart, or 3) a combination of both.
I find people that make bigoted statements like this to be A) Uninformed B) Snobbish C) Full of it D) All of the above.

Politics has no place in religion and religion has no place in politics.

And yet you have a false pretense of being smart. Go figure. The model for developing the laws of the USA was the Bible. ;)

Both could use a sizable dose of ethics.

A. As could you. Maybe you wouldn't be so arrogant.
B. What is your standard for ethics? I would like to examine it. I know you want people to be as ethical as you; so, share your source.

People are funny.

The US adopts “In God We Trust” as national motto in 1950s because of a paranoid fear of communists. It was an overreaction to alleged Russian influence by right-wing freaks.

Fast-forward to today and right-wing freaks are still pushing the “In God We Trust” motto but are completely indifferent to Russia’s efforts to destabilize our society.

I’ll quote DT Barnum ... he “loves the uneducated.”

You are not correct. You can enjoy the freedom from the establishment of a State religion and it ends there.

You are not correct. You have the freedoms from the establishment of a State religion. I have the right to practice my religion in a public area = Yay! Hooray for me and others like me!!!!!

I know you don’t want it shoved down your throat. Has anyone besides the gheys here actually put anything down your throat or in any of your other orafaces for that matter? No, they haven’t.

I have to be exposed to your silliness on a public message board so I think you can tolerate a church rally held in a public park or courthouse lawn. It’s called tolerance. It’s ok, try it! Your party preaches it (oops! I said preach!)!

It’s fun to have different ideas and to hear them from those who want to spread their ideas peaceably. What a boring world if we all thought the same thing. I like to hear the other side of the coin constantly, keeps me challenged. Do you not enjoy a good challenge Joel?
I’ve got a challenge for you. Open wide.

I usually don't find borish behavior a challenge. I find folks who wear their religion on their sleeve are 1) not real confident in what they believe or 2) not real smart, or 3) a combination of both.
I find people that make bigoted statements like this to be A) Uninformed B) Snobbish C) Full of it D) All of the above.

Politics has no place in religion and religion has no place in politics.

And yet you have a false pretense of being smart. Go figure. The model for developing the laws of the USA was the Bible. ;)

Both could use a sizable dose of ethics.

A. As could you. Maybe you wouldn't be so arrogant.
B. What is your standard for ethics? I would like to examine it. I know you want people to be as ethical as you; so, share your source.
I’m partial to John Rawls. What do you set your ethical compass by?

People are funny.

The US adopts “In God We Trust” as national motto in 1950s because of a paranoid fear of communists. It was an overreaction to alleged Russian influence by right-wing freaks.

Fast-forward to today and right-wing freaks are still pushing the “In God We Trust” motto but are completely indifferent to Russia’s efforts to destabilize our society.

I’ll quote DT Barnum ... he “loves the uneducated.”

Florida has had a version of it as the "state motto" since 1868.

I’m partial to John Rawls. What do you set your ethical compass by?
So, you believe that John Rawls is the gold standard. I don't set any flawed individual up as a standard. Rawls was just like any other individual - a liar, cheat, lover of money, disobedient to parents, self indulgent. How do I know this? Because everyone is like this. My standard is God. No flaws and no capriciousness - unchangeable standard.

Congratulations, you are the very first person that answered my question who did not reference self.

Reactions: BrianNole09
My job is to advance my specific religion.
Then we don't need your opinions about politics in society.

You believe in a Man that floats around in the sky that values certain people over others, based on how they respond to the church's interpretation of ancient manuscripts. If your "job" is to advance your religion, then go on a sabbatical, or be a missionary, but stop adding your biased opinion about politics and social behavior being regulated through political policy. You're mucking-up your religion and politics at the same time.

Get on your dragon and fly to Amish Country.

Then we don't need your opinions about politics in society.

You believe in a Man that floats around in the sky that values certain people over others, based on how they respond to the church's interpretation of ancient manuscripts. If your "job" is to advance your religion, then go on a sabbatical, or be a missionary, but stop adding your biased opinion about politics and social behavior being regulated through political policy. You're mucking-up your religion and politics at the same time.

Get on your dragon and fly to Amish Country.
I don't know how to put this so as to not shock you; but, you are guilty too of the very same thing. You simply believe that your beliefs are superior to LuciousBDragon's beliefs.

So, you believe that John Rawls is the gold standard. I don't set any flawed individual up as a standard. Rawls was just like any other individual - a liar, cheat, lover of money, disobedient to parents, self indulgent. How do I know this? Because everyone is like this. My standard is God. No flaws and no capriciousness - unchangeable standard.

Congratulations, you are the very first person that answered my question who did not reference self.
I’m not sure he’s the gold standard, but I like how he combines concepts of the golden rule with justice and the social contract.

What god do you worship that you think is ethical? I’d argue only humans are that evolved in our known universe. I’ve yet to be introduced to an ethical god concept.

I don't know how to put this so as to not shock you; but, you are guilty too of the very same thing. You simply believe that your beliefs are superior to LuciousBDragon's beliefs.
My belief's about God is all inclusive. His beliefs about God are exclusive. Mine are not superior, they're simply different... much different. He worships his church and religion.

I’m not sure he’s the gold standard, but I like how he combines concepts of the golden rule with justice and the social contract.

What god do you worship that you think is ethical? I’d argue only humans are that evolved in our known universe. I’ve yet to be introduced to an ethical god concept.
So, what is you absolute final authority for morality? Until we have established that, I cannot answer the 2nd question here. I have to know for absolute certainty "what is ethical?"

My belief's about God is all inclusive. His beliefs about God are exclusive. Mine are not superior, they're simply different... much different. He worships his church and religion.
You are you trying to kid? I am not some little child. Your sanctimonious answer doesn't fly with me. You believe your all inclusive God is superior to someone else's God. Your beliefs are superior in your view.

So, what is you absolute final authority for morality? Until we have established that, I cannot answer the 2nd question here. I have to know for absolute certainty "what is ethical?"
I don’t think there is a final authority. It’s an ongoing conversation. The most popular god concept in America is reputed to think slavery is acceptable and can be done ethically if some rules are followed. Thankfully that’s not the final authority. Humans over centuries arrived at a different idea and we now mostly consider slavery and those who support it to be unethical.

In recent decades we have seen a similarly dramatic reconsideration of how we treat women or gays. Our nation was founded on some pretty dramatic ideas about how we should ethically treat even guilty criminals. There is no final set of rules you can follow and always be ethical. But that’s why I like Rawls. His framework for arriving at an ethical decision involves picking the path that is most just to all parties. Rawls teaches you how to be ethical, it’s not just some list of rules.

You are you trying to kid? I am not some little child. Your sanctimonious answer doesn't fly with me. You believe your all inclusive God is superior to someone else's God. Your beliefs are superior in your view.
Well, they work for ME! If that "sounds superior", then I can't help that. I don't care what flies with you or doesn't fly with you.

I observe archaic behaviors from people who worship their religions and their church and I make commentary about that. It's rarely, if ever, supportive of the behavior.

You live in a binary world. Right and Wrong are subjective.

Right is merely what you measure Wrong against. They are polarities. There is what works and what doesn't work.

Nothing is static. Even God is forever changing. Otherwise, what purpose would there be to even exist???

So, it is just someone's ever changing, capricious, how ever the wind blows, worthless opinion. Yep, what I already knew. My morality is set in stone.
That’s not a fair assessment of what I laid out. And I don’t believe you about your stones. For example if you are a Yahwehist, you are stuck supporting slavery which makes you unethical by my framework. What stone are you hitched to?

Reactions: strummingram
If it were left to your understanding, we'd still be writing our thoughts IN STONE! You are Stone Age!

Without your "Old", there would be no "New." So, you do serve a purpose.
I didn't say it was my understanding. It is the Bible. Was that clear enough?

Not very. How do you feel about supporting an ethical framework that supports slavery? And why would that ever be considered the final authority? We humans can do better.

Right...

"The Bible" is interpreted in billions of different ways. Everyone that reads it has their own unique interpretation. And, throughout each of their lives, those interpretations evolve and CHANGE!

The notion that God stopped communicating with humans 2000+ years ago is impossible for me to understand. I blame the church and religion for trying to control people using that lie, and I blame the people for allowing themselves to be bullshitted by it.

Right...

"The Bible" is interpreted in billions of different ways.
OK. That doesn't dismiss our responsibility for each of us to read it, interpret it, and be held accountable unto God for following/obeying it. The standard is unchanging. It is set.

The notion that God stopped communicating with humans 2000+ years ago is impossible for me to understand. I blame the church and religion for trying to control people using that lie, and I blame the people for allowing themselves to be bullshitted by it.

God has stopped communicating? This is the first I have heard of this and I think I have been a fairly active Christian and no one has brought this up. Where did this come from?

God has stopped communicating? This is the first I have heard of this and I think I have been a fairly active Christian and no one has brought this up. Where did this come from?
The words I am writing right here... these words... this is THE WORD OF GOD! What you just wrote is the WORD OF GOD!

The WORD OF GOD is hardly confined to an ancient book written when the entire world was living in monarchies. It's no wonder that God is referred to as a male King in much of The Bible.

OK. That doesn't dismiss our responsibility for each of us to read it, interpret it, and be held accountable unto God for following/obeying it. The standard is unchanging. It is set.
Responsibility?

have you read the Bhagavad Gita? Have you read the Qu'ran? The Tripitaka? The Tibetan Book of the Dead? Lao-Tzu? Have you read the funny papers today?

ALL OF THOSE are the word of God.

God is the creation source and God observes. God is the collective and the singular. God is the good and the bad. God is hot and cold. Up and down. The Alpha and the Omega.

The words I am writing right here... these words... this is THE WORD OF GOD! What you just wrote is the WORD OF GOD!

The WORD OF GOD is hardly confined to an ancient book written when the entire world was living in monarchies. It's no wonder that God is referred to as a male King.

200.gif

The WORD OF GOD is hardly confined to an ancient book written when the entire world was living in monarchies. It's no wonder that God is referred to as a male King.
I pray you don't own a gun. :eek:

Exactly... God speaks through all of us, all the time. Jesus attested to this. Jesus was a "child of God." Just like we all are. We are all parts of the same whole being.

The Bible, like most ancient holy texts, are mostly allegorical. Not to mention, they were written in languages that are quite different from English.

Exactly... God speaks through all of us, all the time. Jesus attested to this. Jesus was a "child of God." Just like we all are. We are all parts of the same whole being.

The Bible, like most ancient holy texts, are mostly allegorical. Not to mention, they were written in languages that are quite different from English.
Your beliefs are what I would consider WAY OUT THERE. You can't even intelligently support them as is obvious in viewing your dismal attempt.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT