ADVERTISEMENT

Florida vacation.

Take a clear kayak tour of Shell Key Preserve at Island Ferry Eco Tours. Try to time your visit around high tide so you can navigate the mangrove tunnels.

And eat at The Columbia in Ybor City. Save room for flan.

The Columbia in Ybor is great. There is also one on Sand Key, which is closer to St. Pete Beach.

Tradewinds is a good place to stay. Near there, I would recommend Snappers (seafood) and 1200 Chophouse (casual steaks). A visit to the Don Cesar and Andy's Ice Cream is also a nice touch.

Reactions: win4jj
Try something new. Go to a nudist resort for a day. There are a few in that area.

Thanks for the tip. Just got tickets for the Rays game Tuesday night against the Yankees. We are Cubs fans, but the boys are excited. It’s funny how a vacation can be planned and canceled twice but the last minute things sometimes are the best.
How old are your boys? if they are a bit older there is a pretty cool sports bar practically across the street from the trop called Ferg's with solid if unspectacular bar food but be dressed to sweat. Also the area is rich with Uber/LYFT drivers.

That doesn’t matter for what we’re talking about even if accurate. Because allegedly the red tide had been gone from the area for three or four days when I was visiting my BIL and SIL. And the dead fish had been removed at least two days before. But it still reeks to high Heaven. I asked them yesterday if it was still bad and they said it’s worse than when I was there and they try not to go outside at all.
I mentioned that in my post # 22.
Not recommending fishing either

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Pick three :)

387F43C7-B29B-455E-86ED-A63D1E656DD2_x800.jpg
2-3-5

You must have missed that the whole bay and just outside in the Gulf of Mexico is covered in red tide and dead fish. I don’t think there’s any beaches safe yet.
Was on the water today. Anclote area (Tarpon Springs), and it was bad. Dead, rotting fish floating everywhere. Oddly enough, people were in the water, lol. Gross.

Not as bad as we were warned about. We all grew up on the Wapsie and Mississippi so I think we are immune to it. The locals say today has been the best as far as the red tide and smell.

Not as bad as we were warned about. We all grew up on the Wapsie and Mississippi so I think we are immune to it. The locals say today has been the best as far as the red tide and smell.

Yeah, a dead fish doesn't last long on a Florida beach. Between the scavengers and the hot baking sun, it's a clean bleached-boned thing in no time.

Reactions: win4jj
We vacationed in Florida; yes, it was cool, but not wow. Recently I came across an interesting article about Schloss Neuschwanstein. I was so interested in it that I started looking for different tours as soon as possible to get there and feel the atmosphere. Six palace halls are open to the public: the hall of singers, throne room, living room, study, dining room, bedroom. Everywhere there are swan motifs and illustrations of Wagner's operas, of which we had already heard about. There's also a period kitchen, a mock-up of the castle, a gift store, a cafe, and a video room. There is a beautiful view of the lake surrounded by the Alps.

Last edited:
Stayed at Tradewinds the first week of May. Couple of things....we used the resort transportation to and from airport. Pricey (I think $75 each way) but they were prompt and courteous. Our driver was from Iowa originally. Takes about 35 mins. Check in was crazy. Loooong line. Be patient. Their staffing is around 50%. Be nice and treat staff with respect. They will try to sell you a timeshare when u arrive and leave....hated that part of it. Room is not 4* status. A bit run down, but serviceable. Food their is pricey, really pricey. We used instacart and had food delivered to our hotel door. Saved tons on snacks and bottle water. Tons of kids stuff. If slide is up, so it. High winds brings slide down. Sunsets are thee best. Beach is fabulous. My kid did get stung by jellyfish in water...that kinda sucked. Hurt for a few days. There is a beach store across street with souvenirs and such. Breakfast at Skidders is fantastic, as well as dinner at Crabby Bills (both walk distance) we also ate at fo cheezy and larrys ice cream. Both ok. We took a trip to Johns Pass in Maderia beach. Really fun area of shops and things to do and see. Saw dolphins in water and just a fun time. Held gators and other fun stuff. We had a great time, but be prepared for delays and closings randomly.
We are staying in a condo on Maderia beach in a few weeks right after school is out.

Any suggestions on places to visit to restaurants?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT