ADVERTISEMENT

For all y’all sled dawgs, how would a 4 day work week work?

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
The Golden, CO police force is doing it.

Durand has cut down on unnecessary conversations at the office, trimmed her meetings and says she also looks at her phone less throughout the day. She’s more focused and productive and feels her colleagues are collectively more considerate of everyone’s time. On her Fridays off, the married mom of four can now give her full attention to her family and her personal well-being.

“I’m able to go to some of my kids’ activities,” Durand said. “I’m able to spend time with my husband and do things I wouldn’t normally have the time to do. It’s literally a day off where I’m not focused on work. I’m just focused on home life.”

The hope for that kind of improved well-being is reflected in many people’s thinking about a shorter workweek. In a Gallup poll released in November, a full 77% of US workers said a four-day, 40-hour workweek would have a positive impact, with 46% saying it would have an “extremely positive” effect and 31% saying it would have a “somewhat positive” effect.

Williams has seen that play out in the department.

“One of the things I can tell you they really enjoy is the additional time with their families,” Williams noted. “When they (the patrol officers) come in, they’re energetic, more engaged, ready to hit the road and get work done.”

At a recent check-in with the community, Vargo says there was “essentially no negative feedback, no concerns raised.”

Each week, employees are asked how they’re feeling about the reduced hours on a scale of zero to 100. Three months in, those numbers have consistently been in the 90s.

Could the Senate pass federal bill for shorter workweek? Here's what to know​

Rachel Looker, USA TODAY
Wed, March 13, 2024 at 2:59 PM CDT·3 min read

WASHINGTON − There's a revived effort on Capitol Hill to make a shorter workweek the new norm.
Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., announced Wednesday he will introduce a bill to establish a standard 32-hour workweek that would result in no loss in pay.
Sanders, who chairs the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, will introduce the legislation Thursday during a hearing on the need for a shorter workweek.

“Moving to a 32-hour workweek with no loss of pay is not a radical idea,” Sanders said in a statement. “Today, American workers are over 400 percent more productive than they were in the 1940s. And yet, millions of Americans are working longer hours for lower wages than they were decades ago. That has got to change."
LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 22: Bernie Sanders attends during Bernie Sanders: It's OK To Be Angry About Capitalism at Royal Geographical Society on February 22, 2024 in London, England. (Photo by Joe Maher/Getty Images For Fane) ORG XMIT: 776104525 ORIG FILE ID: 2031236876

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 22: Bernie Sanders attends during "Bernie Sanders: It's OK To Be Angry About Capitalism" at Royal Geographical Society on February 22, 2024 in London, England. (Photo by Joe Maher/Getty Images For Fane) ORG XMIT: 776104525 ORIG FILE ID: 2031236876

Sanders' bill pushes for four-day workweek​

The legislation amends the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to reduce the standard workweek from 40 hours per week to 32 hours per week. It would also allow employees to be compensated time and half for working beyond 32 hours.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Fair Labor Standards Act into law in 1938 which established minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping and youth employment standards. The bill led to the standard 40-hour workweek most Americans are familiar with today.
More than half of adults employed full time reported working more than 40 hours per week, according to a 2019 Gallup poll.
"It is time to reduce the stress level in our country and allow Americans to enjoy a better quality of life," Sanders said.

Rep. Takano introduced 4-day workweek bill last year​

House Committee on Veterans' Affairs ranking member Mark Takano, of Calif., questions Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough, during a hearing on whether the Veterans Affairs ignore and perpetrate sexual harassment, on Capitol Hill, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2024, in Washington.

House Committee on Veterans' Affairs ranking member Mark Takano, of Calif., questions Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary Denis McDonough, during a hearing on whether the Veterans Affairs ignore and perpetrate sexual harassment, on Capitol Hill, Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2024, in Washington.

This isn't the first time Congress has pushed for a four-day work week.

Progressive Democrats last year renewed a push to make four-day workweeks federal law, with lead sponsor Rep. Mark Takano of California saying the change will give Americans more time "to live, play, and enjoy life more fully outside of work."

Takano, a member of the House Education and the Workforce Committee, introduced a similar bill last year to Sanders' legislation that would reduce the standard workweek from 40 hours to 32, effectively ending the traditional five-day cycle. It would also require overtime pay at a rate of time and half for any employee who works more than 32 hours in one week.

His bill was referred to the House Committee on Education and the Workforce.

The legislation followed a shift in workplace trends after the COVID-19 pandemic influenced conversations about what the future of work may look like. More than 70 British companies started to test a four-day workweek last year, and most respondents reported there has been no loss in productivity.

Takano introduced similar legislation in 2021, but it was not voted on in the House or Senate.

Could it become law?​

Bernie Sanders talks to United Auto Workers and community members during a rally outside the UAW-Ford Joint Trusts Center in Detroit on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023.

Bernie Sanders talks to United Auto Workers and community members during a rally outside the UAW-Ford Joint Trusts Center in Detroit on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023.

Sanders' bill is backed by Sen. Laphonza Butler, D-Calif., and Rep. Mark Takano, D-Calif., who introduced companion legislation in the House.

It also has received the endorsement of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations, United Auto Workers, the Service Employees International Union, the Association of Flight

Attendants and several other labor unions.

While Sanders' role as chair of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee places a greater focus on shortening the workweek, it is unlikely the bill will garner enough support from Republicans to become federal law and pass in both chambers.

Reactions: BelemNole
I actually agree with Bernie on something. Technology and productivity have changed over the decades, no reason we shouldn't also make changes to the traditional 40-hour week.

Careful using “sled dogs”- last poster to use it was BobinFairfax- and he “disappeared” shortly after

Only a loser who hates their life would support a shortened work week. Bernie Sanders wants people to work less so they can depend on the government more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT