ADVERTISEMENT

For those back to the gym, what is your mask situation?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
Went back for the first time last night to lift. Not interested in doing cardio around other people breathing hard. My son and I were the only ones in there wearing a mask, including those at the front desk. It is decent sized with very high ceilings, but there were probably 30 people. Kind of disappointing because for most people, lifting weights is not a situation where you are struggling to breathe. But, 95% of the people in there were in shape dudes pumping iron, and that is the demographic in my mind least likely to be wearing a mask. Just curious what other people have seen.

Last edited:
Went back for the first time last night to lift. Not interested in doing cardio around other people breathing hard. My son and I were the only ones in there wearing a mask, including those at the front desk. It is decent sized with very high ceilings, but there were probably 30 people. Kind of disappointing because for most people, lifting weights is not a situation where you are struggling to breath. But, 95% of the people in there were in shape dudes pumping iron, and that is the demographic in my mind least likely to be wearing a mask. Just curious what other people have seen.
At my gym (the Y), members are required to wear a mask in the common areas, but not on the wellness floor. All staff wear masks at all times.

Most folks don't wear masks on the wellness floor, but I do. I do most of my cardio outside, but don't wear a mask when I'm on the spin bike (I'm in a separate room by myself).

I was at a gym in the Keys, and they require members to wear a mask at all times.

I ended up canceling and building a home gym. Lucked out with some facebook marketplace deals. The bad thing about the gym is people will go knowing they have the disease.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I ended up canceling and building a home gym. Lucked out with some facebook marketplace deals. The bad thing about the gym is people will go knowing they have the disease.

The market for "gently used" home gym equipment is simply incredible. $0.25 or less on the dollar for stuff that looks like it just came out of the box.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Masks required for staff only, probably 20% of members wear masks. All machines are distanced. Occupancy has been way down, probably in part because it's summer and the cardio crowd can be outside. Each member is screened for health issues and has temp taken at check-in - every visit. Members are issued a sanitizer bottle and rag to use before and after contact with anything - weights, cardio, bands, whatever you use.

Masks required but some ignore it. The Cardio machines are spaced out well. So that is good situation.

At my gym (the Y), members are required to wear a mask in the common areas, but not on the wellness floor. All staff wear masks at all times.

Most folks don't wear masks on the wellness floor, but I do. I do most of my cardio outside, but don't wear a mask when I'm on the spin bike (I'm in a separate room by myself).

I was at a gym in the Keys, and they require members to wear a mask at all times.

Yep. Same situation at Planet Fitness.

Reactions: sober_teacher
My basement gym of a squat rack & bench does not require a mask.

The gym I normally otherwise attend is not yet reopened.

I need to explore this used gym equipment... wanna get a small cycling machine or elliptical for the winter. I'm not going to do actual winter cycling for exercise and I'm not going back to a gym around here anytime soon.

They are still closed in LA county but the gym in was at required them to be warn when it reopened for a month a little while back.

Edit: I hear some are open, so it may just depend on the company I guess.

I restarted workouts at Anytime Fitness in Norwalk, IA. Masks are not required but they only allow people to use every other cardio machine to distance.
Sadly I know there's a risk in going but I'm also Type 2 diabetic and live in a small apartment, yes I'm one of the poors, so I can't do a home gym and I loathe running outdoors as my only intense form of exercise. So I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't with my workouts and trying to maintain a healthy weight and A1c.

I need to explore this used gym equipment... wanna get a small cycling machine or elliptical for the winter. I'm not going to do actual winter cycling for exercise and I'm not going back to a gym around here anytime soon.

Join NextDoor. If you Facebook, they also have a marketplace.

I've used ND for outfitting my garage workshop with >$1000 worth of tools for practically nothing (miter saw, drill press, table saw, router table, sander etc). You do need to spend a little time researching the quality of stuff, because you'll find lots of crappy stuff if you aren't careful. Table saw I got was "free", just had to move it.

Used gym equipment is even more prolific, because people think they'll change their habits by spending money on something fancy, rather than change those lifestyle habits and THEN upgrade to better equipment. Gets used a few weeks, then becomes a laundry drying rack. You'll also find people moving who just don't want to move the larger stuff.

we have to wear mask walking in and out but can remove mask when working out.

Same here at PF in CR. Mask up while walking around. Take it off while on the treadmill. Every other machine is blocked off. So far so good, and I've been going since they re-opened in like June.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Join NextDoor. If you Facebook, they also have a marketplace.

I've used ND for outfitting my garage workshop with >$1000 worth of tools for practically nothing (miter saw, drill press, table saw, router table, sander etc). You do need to spend a little time researching the quality of stuff, because you'll find lots of crappy stuff if you aren't careful. Table saw I got was "free", just had to move it.

Used gym equipment is even more prolific, because people think they'll change their habits by spending money on something fancy, rather than change those lifestyle habits and THEN upgrade to better equipment. Gets used a few weeks, then becomes a laundry drying rack. You'll also find people moving who just don't want to move the larger stuff.
I think I signed up for ND a couple months ago. Have to check. Never used FB marketplace, hopefully I can get on with my burner and convince people I'm not a psycho I just hate being on FB and have the burner so I can visit marketplace and local business pages. I don't even need something nice. Just something that will fit in about the same space as a yoga mat.

I am currently on day two of quarantine, was exposed to Covid on Sunday and just found out yesterday. I went for a long walk with our daughter this morning. Gonna try to use this time to cut WAY back on drinking, as hard as that will be. I can exercise at home with some dumbbells and will probably take my mountain bike out of storage.

I think I signed up for ND a couple months ago. Have to check. Never used FB marketplace, hopefully I can get on with my burner and convince people I'm not a psycho I just hate being on FB and have the burner so I can visit marketplace and local business pages. I don't even need something nice. Just something that will fit in about the same space as a yoga mat.

Just perused my ND feed for "sports and outdoor" (not looking for anything, just checking).

Found:

• Free elliptical
  • $16 dumbbell weights (35#)
  • $100 stationary bike
  • $60 indoor bike stand/trainer (looked to be one of the fluid/oil ones, which are better than magnetic for 'ride feel')
  • Free Weider Pro 9645 Cable Machine home gym (someone just needs to get rid of it)
  • Tons of tennis and golf stuff

Just do your homework, because some stuff can be poor quality. If you invest a few minutes a day searching, you'll find some gems.

We have a fair amount of equipment and free weight dumbbells. However, I have refused to purchase a bar because I have concern that my son or someone else might give out without a spotter and kill themselves. We also do not have a squat rack so even if we had a bar, we could not squat or bench. Also, our elliptical is a piece of garbage and when I do feel comfortable doing cardio indoors again, the gym is the place to do it.

I work out at AF and masks are not required. A few wear them but most don’t. I get in just to lift and get out fairly quick. Do all my cardio outside for now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT