ADVERTISEMENT

Foster inching closer

I'm not talking about the comment itself. I'm talking about the dipshits who messaged him on twitter. Im talking about how something like that might sour a high school kid toward a particular fanbase. You commit to play for coaches as well as a fanbase. I don't know the Fosters so I don't know if they cared at all about it. Maybe they didn't think anything of it. But surely you can appreciate that fans (even just a minority of fans) directly messaging a high school kid and his family about stuff like that is not a good thing.
A recruit isn't going to not commit to a school because of a few moron fans on twitter, if so then recruits wouldn't play anywhere.

If I had money to wager right now. I would say he will be a Cyclone unless some other big dogs come in like Duke.

You also compared Rasir Bolton, one of the least efficient chuckers in the Big 10, to Wieskamp, one of the most efficient wings. Your bias is showing.

Like Wieskamp?

Yeah, but that was sewn up from the beginning.

Fran has won recruiting battles for in-state kids, like Woodbury and Gesell. Also, got a kid to come home (Uthoff). They were all pretty highly ranked. So, that hasn't been the issue.

Frankly, if we're being perfectly honest here, what he could be saying is Fran has not won too many major recruiting battles for kids who aren't white. People can scoff at that all they want, but it's nonetheless true.

Yeah, but that was sewn up from the beginning.

Fran has won recruiting battles for in-state kids, like Woodbury and Gesell. Also, got a kid to come home (Uthoff). They were all pretty highly ranked. So, that hasn't been the issue.

Frankly, if we're being perfectly honest here, what he could be saying is Fran has not won too many major recruiting battles for kids who aren't white. People can scoff at that all they want, but it's nonetheless true.
I don't think ISU offered Woodbury. Definitely wanted Gesell, though, and Uthoff.

I think they did and Woodbury wore an Iowa shirt on his visit to Ames.
Well, for the time he was in high school and during the time he was at Iowa, I never once heard anything like that, and people close to the program said he hadn't been offered. But it isn't really a major thing now.

Well, for the time he was in high school and during the time he was at Iowa, I never once heard anything like that, and people close to the program said he hadn't been offered. But it isn't really a major thing now.

247 Says he had an offer.
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Adam-Woodbury-13772/RecruitInterests/

But it sounds like Woody was an iowa lean from the get go and there wasn't really an in-state battle. Just like Wieskamp. Or just like a guy like Matt Gatens. Other guys like Harrison Barnes, Marcus Paige, (and probably DJ Carton if we're honest), were probably out of state leans from the get go.

I don't know the last time there was a true in-state showdown for a basketball player. Happens all the time in football. But in basketball it seems like a kid is either set on one of the schools or he's set on taking his talents out of state. With Xavier, who the hell knows.

True, but he goes to ISU a lot to hang out with this GF who is on the cheer squad and in doing so has become friends with other ISU players as well. I mean he even shows up at ISU women's games and other campus events.

I don’t know any of the people involved personally but I was a college athlete and had a kid play in college having a girlfriend who is a cheerleader and getting to know college players while the bf is still in high school may not be a good thing. Lots of alpha males, parties, people making bad choices in the first year of college. This does not mean things like this happened there is just a long history of things like that happening on campuses. Secrets don’t stay secrets forever

Reactions: David1979
I think if Fran acquired the recruits that posters on here hope they pick Iowa as a destination would eventually be the end of Fran at Iowa.
If Iowa would some how have a year like the first year in Tom Davis's tenure it would put Fran and his staff in position that is totally out of their comfort zone.
Even in years that Iowa has stormed out of the gate with outstanding play they've managed to end with double digit losses every year he's been here. Not really bad, but far from the lofty goals of most posters on here.
For that reason and that reason only, don't expect players like Xavier Foster or any other player that is highly rated to pick Iowa and take them to places that Iowa hasn't been since Lute was here.
Not going to happen.
There's always something that's going to happen to diminish the possibility of Iowa basketball ever becoming a elite program, players leaving with remaining eligibility, unforeseen injuries, nationally ranked local recruits that go elsewhere or
collapses that happen without reason or warnings. It's all part of Fran and Iowa basketball, Fran and his staff are what they are, nothing really outstanding and nothing really bad.
In that respect, don't expect anything to change while McCaffery is in charge.
If this seems like I'm a McCaffery hatter, not at all, he is an above average coach that has an aging staff that lacks in player development and in attracting elite players that haven't grown up around Iowa and when Iowa has hiccups during seasons they lack the ability to turn things around. In other words Fran is quite content to keep who Iowa is, not upset the apple cart by putting undo expectations on a program that makes the tournament every once in a while and keep the really bad seasons to a minimum.
Sounds a lot like the other major program at Iowa. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Woodbury had an ISU offer, but they knew he was a Hawk fan so didn't spend much time on him as his intentions were pretty well known.

Reactions: owenhawk
I think if Fran acquired the recruits that posters on here hope they pick Iowa as a destination would eventually be the end of Fran at Iowa.
If Iowa would some how have a year like the first year in Tom Davis's tenure it would put Fran and his staff in position that is totally out of their comfort zone.
Even in years that Iowa has stormed out of the gate with outstanding play they've managed to end with double digit losses every year he's been here. Not really bad, but far from the lofty goals of most posters on here.
For that reason and that reason only, don't expect players like Xavier Foster or any other player that is highly rated to pick Iowa and take them to places that Iowa hasn't been since Lute was here.
Not going to happen.
There's always something that's going to happen to diminish the possibility of Iowa basketball ever becoming a elite program, players leaving with remaining eligibility, unforeseen injuries, nationally ranked local recruits that go elsewhere or
collapses that happen without reason or warnings. It's all part of Fran and Iowa basketball, Fran and his staff are what they are, nothing really outstanding and nothing really bad.
In that respect, don't expect anything to change while McCaffery is in charge.
If this seems like I'm a McCaffery hatter, not at all, he is an above average coach that has an aging staff that lacks in player development and in attracting elite players that haven't grown up around Iowa and when Iowa has hiccups during seasons they lack the ability to turn things around. In other words Fran is quite content to keep who Iowa is, not upset the apple cart by putting undo expectations on a program that makes the tournament every once in a while and keep the really bad seasons to a minimum.
Sounds a lot like the other major program at Iowa. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Wow, just when I was getting excited for this season. Thanks for the buzz kill!!! I, for one hopes Foster comes to Iowa, as this would be a big step forward building the program to like what Tom Davis inherited from George Raveling. Just look at the harm done by the past head coaches Eventually we sunk to the bottom and were laughing stocks in the league. I think Fran has done a good job, and we all want to go deep in the NCAA's or win a conference title. Getting Foster in Black and Gold could be the beginning of something better, and more to what we crave for as fans.. We all want to win, just be positive!

Woodbury had an ISU offer, but they knew he was a Hawk fan so didn't spend much time on him as his intentions were pretty well known.
That's entirely possible. It's hard for me to imagine Woodbury fitting into the style of ball ISU was playing, though.

You also compared Rasir Bolton, one of the least efficient chuckers in the Big 10, to Wieskamp, one of the most efficient wings. Your bias is showing.

Most of there numbers are not that far off.

Do I have a bias? Yes but I don’t drink the kool aid either. He isnup in Ames every other weekend hanging with his girlfriend and Iowa state players playing pickup games at the practice facility. That’s not my opinion either. His dad watched a football game at Prohms house. In my mind, a biased one, that would favor Iowa state.

Bolton is far more comparable to Bohannon than Wieskamp. Bolton has the explosiveness that Bohannon lacks to finish at the rim though. Look at Boltons freshman numbers compared to Bohannons junior numbers. Extremely similar:

2P%:
JBo - 37%
Bolton - 40%

3P%
JBo - 38%
Bolton - 36%

FT%
JBo - 87%
Bolton - 87%

PPG:
JBo - 11
Bolton - 11

If Bolton is a chucker as a true frosh on a horrible team what is Jordan? Iowa State transfers have shown over and over again their offensive numbers can improve drastically in a more efficient offense surrounded by better players.

It has long been thought if Xavier stays in state he is headed to Iowa State. Let the chips fall where they may.

Bolton is far more comparable to Bohannon than Wieskamp. Bolton has the explosiveness that Bohannon lacks to finish at the rim though. Look at Boltons freshman numbers compared to Bohannons junior numbers. Extremely similar:

2P%:
JBo - 37%
Bolton - 40%

3P%
JBo - 38%
Bolton - 36%

FT%
JBo - 87%
Bolton - 87%

PPG:
JBo - 11
Bolton - 11

If Bolton is a chucker as a true frosh on a horrible team what is Jordan? Iowa State transfers have shown over and over again their offensive numbers can improve drastically in a more efficient offense surrounded by better players.

It has long been thought if Xavier stays in state he is headed to Iowa State. Let the chips fall where they may.
Keep telling yourself that. Delusion in opponents is good.

Not delusion just hear say which has been pretty widely known from both sides. Recruiting is strange though you just never know.
Dilusion. There really is no comparison. JBo was playing hurt all year last year, so of course his shooting percentages were down. He still made 3rd team all Big 10. As a freshman, he shot 39% from the 3. As a sophomore, he shot 43% from the 3. If he hadn't been injured last year, he would have probably improved on that.

Bolton should be a good role player for the Clones. He will not going to be anything close to what Bohannon is as a shooter.

2P%:
JBo - 37%
Bolton - 40%

3P%
JBo - 38%
Bolton - 36%

FT%
JBo - 87%
Bolton - 87%

PPG:
JBo - 11
Bolton - 11

You’re not very good at this.

ORtg
JBo 114.6
Bolton 96.2

%Shots
JBo 19.1
Bolton 23.4

eFG%
JBo 51.5
Bolton 47.1

ARate
JBo 20
Bolton 11.4

TORate
JBo 16.4
Bolton 23.4

I would say Bolton falls slightly short of the chucker definition but he was damn close. Inefficient to say the very least, didn’t distribute the ball, and was turnover prone.

Reactions: perryhawk
You’re not very good at this.

ORtg
JBo 114.6
Bolton 96.2

%Shots
JBo 19.1
Bolton 23.4

eFG%
JBo 51.5
Bolton 47.1

ARate
JBo 20
Bolton 11.4

TORate
JBo 16.4
Bolton 23.4

I would say Bolton falls slightly short of the chucker definition but he was damn close. Inefficient to say the very least, didn’t distribute the ball, and was turnover prone.

What source do you use for this? Well see who ends up with the better career. Bolton has far superior athleticism. Good luck with Foster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT