ADVERTISEMENT

Fran and Lisa Have a Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe. Big gamble. Really a long term gamble.
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Correct.

Perception matters. That's the one thing OP has a point on, even though he has other intentions with this thread.

That's also the one point you keep forgetting.............
You’re starting to get it.

Perception matters, especially in recruiting. Iowa has a reputation whether people on here want to believe it or not.

The only black player in the top 100 whom Fran was actually able to land was Tyler Cook. Think about that. In a decade and a half, Fran has landed one. One.

So, yes, it’s true that some white guys can hoop, but it’s also true that every year the overwhelming majority of top 100 kids are black. Because of perception, nary a one ever has real interest in Iowa. A few here and there may take a visit, but they aren’t honestly considering Iowa as an actual destination. Which means of the 5-10 white kids in the top 100, maybe 2-3 have serious interest in Iowa. Unfortunately, those kids end up at Duke.

So, yes, Iowa needs better players. And guess what? The largest pool of those players are black. Therefore, it would probably be a good idea to address the perception problem so 90-95% of the top 100 prospects in America aren’t alienated.

Just saying…

The quintessential white athlete. Johnny and Jenny Wonderbread.

Works pretty well in women's basketball which has 0 parity nationwide but not so much in men's basketball, where 5 brothers from the field house, playing pick up basketball would wipe this team.

But then again, the State of Iowa, has a type which caters to its demographics.

You know and I know, if Caitlin Clark were black, the reception to her success within the State of Iowa would be tepid at best and some racial shit would be tossed by one of you.
You should delete this post if you want to keep a shred of credibility on this board.
What "racial shit was tossed by some on this board" when keegan was tearing it up? Or when dev marble became an all big ten player? Just bc people like you are obsessed with race doesn't mean everyone is.

Works pretty well in women's basketball which has 0 parity nationwide but not so much in men's basketball, where 5 brothers from the field house, playing pick up basketball would wipe this team.

You know and I know, if Caitlin Clark were black, the reception to her success within the State of Iowa would be tepid at best and some racial shit would be tossed by one of you.
Get a life.

14 of the 15 top recruits in the 2024 class are black.

Iowa didn't have a chance at them only because they aren't a traditional power/NBA factory..........

You think Iowa would land any of those top recruits if they played 10 white kids every year, regardless of how talented those players were?

Perception matters to them. Nobody of importance to the game of CBB gives a f*** what you think about Iowa. It only matters to the recruits.

Social media is very enlightening when it comes to how people, that don't live in or near Iowa.......feel about Iowa. (And yes even if that perception is incredibly misguided, or inaccurate)

That includes high school kids.

Btw, look at Iowa State and how they're constructed and how they went about constructing their team.

Wow you HAVE been drinking. NOWHERE did I say Ronnie was just one of the guys. I said the makeup of the team was about the same as this year. About half white, and half black. Your trying to hard to backup the ignorant post you made.

In what world is this roster half Black? Unless I'm missing somebody Tony, Ladji, and Dasonte are the only Black scholarship players on the team and we are going to be losing 1 or 2 of them next year.

Last edited:
You’re starting to get it.

Perception matters, especially in recruiting. Iowa has a reputation whether people on here want to believe it or not.

The only black player in the top 100 whom Fran was actually able to land was Tyler Cook. Think about that. In a decade and a half, Fran has landed one. One.

So, yes, it’s true that some white guys can hoop, but it’s also true that every year the overwhelming majority of top 100 kids are black. Because of perception, nary a one ever has real interest in Iowa. A few here and there may take a visit, but they aren’t honestly considering Iowa as an actual destination. Which means of the 5-10 white kids in the top 100, maybe 2-3 have serious interest in Iowa. Unfortunately, those kids end up at Duke.

So, yes, Iowa needs better players. And guess what? The largest pool of those players are black. Therefore, it would probably be a good idea to address the perception problem so 90-95% of the top 100 prospects in America aren’t alienated.

Just saying…
What are you telling me for?

I made this same post last year.

Or were you trying to reply to mark?.............

Just sayin. ;)

• Love
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Evil: You actually changed my comment?

I posted “Again, we don’t need more black players, we need more good players.”

You then inserted “black”, making it look like I had posted “we need more good black players”?

Am I seeing this correctly?

Look at the ISU men's hoops team and complain about the state of Iowa catering to its demographics.

Are you saying we need to get more black players, of perhaps lesser talent, so that we can change the perception of our program, so that we can eventually get good black players?

Do we even need to go for a lesser quality of player in order to change the perception? Outside of Owen and Payton there are probably hundreds of Black players playing at Non-P5 schools that have the same level of talent as players currently on the team.

markfromj is a lost cause.
I suspect not.

For years, I’ve been fighting this “we need more black players” view with “We don’t need more black players, we need more good players”.

And I never recall, not one time, anyone explaining that the reason “we need more black players” was because it would change the perception of the Iowa program, so that we could eventually get the really good black players to give us a look. It was always “blacks are better than whites”.

Now here is why I believe I am not a lost cause: This perception approach is a good one, and a reasonable one. It is one I would support. It has risks (sucking because you are taking worse black players, losing more, and repelling better players because you suck), but it is a solid and defendable strategy.

Am I redeemed?

Side note: Can we all get better at posting rationales for positions?

Bullshit, we loved Josh Jackson, Lester, Marble, BJ.

Reactions: hawkosx
Then you need to drink more.
Drink Swarm - not warm - but Swarm beer 120% of the sales goes to the NIL to buy better black and white players...
Alcohol consumption won’t add more black athletes to the men’s team, unfortunately.
If you drink Swarm beer it might. 69% of the profits goes to NIL to get the best players form the port o hole...

That is not why Stringer left. You are way off base why she left.
I'm aware of Bill Stringer. He had a joint appointment in my department when he died. She left mainly because of that event and the fishbowl she was in, which was difficult as a black female coach.

Iowa has already beaten teams of all brothers this season and they certainly were better than pickup
teams from the fieldhouse. . Yes we do need more good players, of any race.

BTW, to others on here, didn't one of Fran's Siena players follow him here? What race was he? So much for not trying to recruit blacks.

didn't one of Fran''s Siena players come with him to Iowa

Iowa has already beaten teams of all brothers this season and they certainly were better than pickup
teams from the fieldhouse. . Yes we do need more good players, of any race.

BTW, to others on here, didn't one of Fran's Siena players follow him here? What race was he? So much for not trying to recruit blacks.

didn't one of Fran''s Siena players come with him to Iowa
Basabe.

I'm aware of Bill Stringer. He had a joint appointment in my department when he died. She left mainly because of that event and the fishbowl she was in, which was difficult as a black female coach.
A coach with the Swedish name of Olson left complaining of the fishbowl. Did you know that many college coaches live in '"fishbowls."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT