ADVERTISEMENT

Fran and Lisa Have a Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coach with the Swedish name of Olson left complaining of the fishbowl. Did you know that many college coaches live in '"fishbowls."
Yes, I'm aware. It's that much harder when you toss race into it.

By the way, Olson was of Norwegian ancestry, not Swedish. Last I checked, they were independent nations.

You should probably add a Rick Mount to give one of your starting 5 a break as they're gettin' their arse kicked.
I'd add the Mount. Before my time but I've heard he was lights out. Good addition.

The quintessential white athlete. Johnny and Jenny Wonderbread.

Works pretty well in women's basketball which has 0 parity nationwide but not so much in men's basketball, where 5 brothers from the field house, playing pick up basketball would wipe this team.

But then again, the State of Iowa, has a type which caters to its demographics.

You know and I know, if Caitlin Clark were black, the reception to her success within the State of Iowa would be tepid at best and some racial shit would be tossed by one of you.
What you could have said is that Fran only wants to play the transitional game but does not recruit enough players with the speed and quickness to do it well.

Reactions: nck24
What you could have said is that Fran only wants to play the transitional game but does not recruit enough players with the speed and quickness to do it well.
I could have but he has a type. Look at his rosters.

The days of 0 parity in the women game are over. Clark to Iowa was a big part of it. Juju at USC will continue it. UConn, Duke, NC, Stanford, Notre dame, Maryland, Tennessee, LSU are all beatable. Outside SC, every top team has lost at least 4 times this season. Kids aren’t going to the same 5 schools anymore. Some of that’s bc coaches left and programs collapsed. Some is just bc kids are going wherever they want now. USC has the #1 recruiting class for next year but last year they were bounced in the first round of the NCAAT. UCLA is stacked and recruiting extremely well but hasn’t done anything to earn it rly. When we made the Elite 8 in 2019 the disparity between the top 7 teams and everyone was obvious but it couldn’t be more different now.
To have a fair NCAA tournament, the top teams will have to stop getting their first two games at home. This was done for financial reasons, however I think you are indicating this is no longer necessary.

Reactions: GOHOX69

Works pretty well in women's basketball which has 0 parity nationwide but not so much in men's basketball, where 5 brothers from the field house, playing pick up basketball would wipe this team.

You know and I know, if Caitlin Clark were black, the reception to her success within the State of Iowa would be tepid at best and some racial shit would be tossed by one of you.
My God…. 🙄

I'm aware of Bill Stringer. He had a joint appointment in my department when he died. She left mainly because of that event and the fishbowl she was in, which was difficult as a black female coach.
She stated in her autobiography that a major reason she took the coaching job at Rutgers was that she felt that her children were not learning enough about their culture or comfortable enough around fellow African Americans, due to the state of Iowa being a majority white populated area.

Stringer's Wikipedia file

The quintessential white athlete. Johnny and Jenny Wonderbre

Dumbest racist shit from a far left idiot. This is wonderful.

She stated in her autobiography that a major reason she took the coaching job at Rutgers was that she felt that her children were not learning enough about their culture or comfortable enough around fellow African Americans, due to the state of Iowa being a majority white populated area.

That's my point. My entire thesis is that demographic becomes the ethos of athletic teams at Iowa.

Agree with everything except your last graf. We would be proud of any player as good as CC playing for Iowa, regardless of color of skin.

She is a hero. Yet if situation/races reversed then she would be cancelled.

By the way, Olson was of Norwegian ancestry, not Swedish. Last I checked, they were independent nations.
A coach with the Swedish name of Olson left complaining of the fishbowl. Did you know that many college coaches live in '"fishbowls."

Guess I should have looked Olson up for his ancestry. My mistake. I was going by "son" whereas Norwegian names usually are "sen." Interesting that you lectured me on Scandinavia since one parent of mine was born in one of the Scandinavian countries and I feel somewhat aware of things concerning them.

Guess I should have looked Olson up for his ancestry. My mistake. I was going by "son" whereas Norwegian names usually are "sen." Interesting that you lectured me on Scandinavia since one parent of mine was born in one of the Scandinavian countries and I feel somewhat aware of things concerning them.
I'm not lecturing you. Admit you're wrong and move on. A simple search on Wikipedia would show you that in paragraph one. I've met Lute in real life but didn't bother to ask him about his family lineage. Good lord.

Amidst all this angst regarding the Hawkeye football, basketball and wrestling programs there is one constant. STAGNATION!! All of these programs are run by coaches with large tenures. STAGNATION!! When they deliver the same results every season ie no conference championships, no NCAA Sweet 16s, no major Bowl wins, etc then it's time to start over.

Maybe the university administration and/or the athletic department play a bigger role in who comes to play for Iowa than we expect. I find it mind-boggling that not one but three major programs at Iowa have problems getting black athletes to commit and retaining them. With the racial bias suit in football and not a great deal of compelling action coming after that, it's more understandable that the football program would have an issue, but I certainly don't think that fully explains why the same thing happens in both men's and women's basketball. I can't think of any other P5 or high-major school that has as many problems getting black players to commit and stick around in the major sports. Seriously, frigging BYU has it figured out. Meanwhile Iowa men's basketball resembles St. Mary's College seemingly every season.

Anyone remember the guy McCaffery brought on in one of his first years, who was from the mid-Atlantic and had some previous baggage? He was on campus for what felt like all of 5 minutes before committing some murky transgression and getting the boot. I find it striking that ever since then McCaffery has never shown the same willingness to go after a good player who can help the team but may have dealt with off-court issues.

This is your worst post of all time.

14 of the 15 top recruits in the 2024 class are black.

Iowa didn't have a chance at them only because they aren't a traditional power/NBA factory..........

You think Iowa would land any of those top recruits if they played 10 white kids every year, regardless of how talented those players were?

Perception matters to them. Nobody of importance to the game of CBB gives a f*** what you think about Iowa. It only matters to the recruits.

Social media is very enlightening when it comes to how people, that don't live in or near Iowa.......feel about Iowa. (And yes even if that perception is incredibly misguided, or inaccurate)

That includes high school kids.

Btw, look at Iowa State and how they're constructed and how they went about constructing their team.
You can make valid points about perception being reality to recruits, but that does not mean 5 random black dudes playing pickup at the field house could beat the men’s team, the state of Iowa has a type, or that Clark would have had a tepid reception if she was black. If I have have to explain why those are moronic statements, I can’t help you or gohox.

Don’t agree! Ronnie Lester was beloved here!

Evil: You actually changed my comment?

I posted “Again, we don’t need more black players, we need more good players.”

You then inserted “black”, making it look like I had posted “we need more good black players”?

Am I seeing this correctly?
Bump.

It is. When Brad Banks was on that run in 2002, the entire Hawkeye nation was behind him, big time. Imagine if he’d replicated that for 4 years at Iowa like CC? Would’ve been an absolute legend at Iowa
It goes on and on and on and on - everyone loves their winner. Brad banks, tavian banks, Freddy Russell, clayborn, shonn green, ladell betts, wirfs, Keegan and Kris Murray, Dre, the raveling players, etc. sorry on spelling I’m on a phone with no time to check.

I thought this was going to be how neither of their teams like to play defense or rebound the ball.
I think these two are very similar. Lisa has just had a little more success in the post season recently.

It is unfortunate you feel this way, however, I couldn't disagree more.

I suspect not.

For years, I’ve been fighting this “we need more black players” view with “We don’t need more black players, we need more good players”.

And I never recall, not one time, anyone explaining that the reason “we need more black players” was because it would change the perception of the Iowa program, so that we could eventually get the really good black players to give us a look. It was always “blacks are better than whites”.

Now here is why I believe I am not a lost cause: This perception approach is a good one, and a reasonable one. It is one I would support. It has risks (sucking because you are taking worse black players, losing more, and repelling better players because you suck), but it is a solid and defendable strategy.

Am I redeemed?

Side note: Can we all get better at posting rationales for positions?
Great post, mark!

jim carrey harry GIF

It is. When Brad Banks was on that run in 2002, the entire Hawkeye nation was behind him, big time. Imagine if he’d replicated that for 4 years at Iowa like CC? Would’ve been an absolute legend at Iowa
I agree. Black or white, Caitlin Clark would be beloved by most Iowa fans.

And if she were black and lesbian, she would win the Nobel Peace Prize and Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Oh, and Sheryl Swoopes and Dawn Staley would fap to her nightly. Truth.

While I disagree with OP regarding fan support on this issue...It has been proven Iowa fans have had no issue enthusiastically supporting athletes of any race... but he isn't wrong about the perception of our program at the moment holding us back. Mark keeps saying we need better players well it is a reality the majority of the better players are black and we aren't getting them. Why? As has been pointed out ISU has no problem getting them and Iowa City in theory should be a better environment than Ames.

This program needs a restart and hopefully when doing so Beth addresses the elephant in the room and figures out why we have this perception and a way to break it.

Great post, mark!

jim carrey harry GIF
Yes. For years I have maintained that we are fighting human nature trying to recruit out of state black players with a predominantly white roster.
Kids like to go where they feel comfortable that they will have some commonality with teammates who will probably become their best friends for life.
Asking an inner-city Chicago recruit to choose Iowa where he might be among 3 other guys that are urban kids and 9-11 suburban white kids is problematic.
17 year old kids are all about having a crew that they share similar life experiences with.

If Fran is going to change his style to Bo Ryan- ball fine , get gritty physical players who shoot well and walk the ball up...but if he wants up tempo ball...recruit quick athletes who can run and jump.
Dr.Tom was guilty of the same syndrome after Ravelings recruits were gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT