ADVERTISEMENT

Fran in Dallas Last wkend as part of 1st Evaluation Period; Can Fran nab a 5* Teammate of Wieskamp?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Who he was watching:

Head coach Fran McCaffery made an appearance in Dallas at the Adidas Gauntlet Series, where the U-17 and U-16 Iowa Barnstormers squads competed.

On the U-17 squad, Muscatine’s Joe Wieskamp, already an Iowa commit, helped the Barnstormers go 3-1. His teammates, Joey Hauser and A.J. Green, have varying levels of interest from the Hawkeyes.

Joey Hauser, a 6-foot-8 power forward from Stevens Point, Wis., holds an Iowa offer. He’s a five-star prospect by Scout and four stars by Rivals. He scored 35 points on 53.3 percent shooting in 46 game minutes over the weekend.

A.J. Green, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Cedar Falls, has steadily gained interest from the Hawkeyes. The three-star recruit shot 48.7 percent over the weekend and averaged 14.8 points per game for the Barnstormers.

McCaffery was not the only one in attendance watching theBarnstormers. Fran was joined by coaches from Minnesota, Boise State and Duke, as well as Wisconsin and Marquette, who are both recruiting Hauser hard (his brother, Sam, is currently a freshman for the Golden Eagles).

On the U-16 squad, Patrick McCaffery, Fran’s younger son, played well in leading the younger Barnstormers to a 3-1 record. In his final game, McCaffery filled the stat sheet with 19 points, five boards, three assists and two blocks. Rivals has the 6-foot-8 forward at No. 23 overall nationally.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ick-glance-first-evaluation-period/306141001/

Reactions: MagicCoach
I don't him for trying but Hauser is probably a long shot at best.

Is Hauser likely a one and done?

How good of a recruiter is Joe Wieskamp? :( If they like playing together, if Hauser likes Iowa's style of play, if he wants to stay in the Midwest, who knows.....but, his bro plays at Marquette and Wisky is after him, too; will be interesting to see what happens....

its convenient that Fran can kill 2 birds with one stone (when he goes to watch Joe W, he also gets to watch Hauser)

Considering there are no open scholarships for '18 and if there is one, Connor will get it, I doubt he can get Houser. Per an article posted elsewhere today, it sounds like Fran isn't even actively recruiting any '18 recruits.

Considering there are no open scholarships for '18 and if there is one, Connor will get it, I doubt he can get Houser. Per an article posted elsewhere today, it sounds like Fran isn't even actively recruiting any '18 recruits.
That would seem to be the case. 2019 is a big recruiting year. Put a good PG and SG with Patrick and you have a solid class.

Hauser is a huge Marquette lean and AJ green is a big UNI lean. Dad is on the coaching staff

Source on Connor getting any scholarship that happens to free up?

Source on Connor getting any scholarship that happens to free up?

IIRC, his dad has said it more than once. Plus Tom and Blair have both mentioned it in threads and articles. Unless there is a massive and surprising change in the roster, they're done for 2018. That's a big reason why we are seeing so many names for 2019 and little to nothing for 2018.

Well, that's your prerogative, I'm just repeating what I've heard and read in numerous places by people a lot closer to the situation than we are.

Why would he go to UNI when he could come to Iowa and play BIG basketball instead of MVC ball? Unless it's all his dad
Coach Jake strikes me as a guy a kid would want to play for, plus he might see himself as having more playing time/more of a leadership role. UNI's program does not necessarily take a back seat to Iowa anymore...Iowa will need to go to a Sweet 16 or two for them to be considered superior to UNI separate from what the B1G (things beyond Iowa's program) has to offer.

I don't care what fran has said, I am not buying that Connor would get a scholarship before adding a top 100 type player. Particularly if Connor is also playing baseball.

I think what you say is correct. Were a scholarship to open up and were Iowa to be able to use said scholarship on a 5-star player, it would be prudent to have Conor walking on. Iowa doesn't have 5-star talent strolling into every class. If Fran decides differently, that's fine too. Conor is a worthy player of a B1G scholarship.

But people shouldn't get so locked up in what might happen a year or so from now. Let Fran keep his options open. He's in a unique situation where he can have Conor on the roster and still have 13 other scholarship players, and that is perfectly legal. Iowa seems to have this fixation on doing everything above board so that we never even approach the lines of impropriety. I get that, but I'd also like to see Iowa take advantage of perfectly legal situations when presented with one.

Why do you think Connor will get a scholly in basketball when he is playing baseball?
I can promise you if Hauser wants to come to Iowa, Fran will make room if he needs too.
It's a huge advantage for coach to have both of his sons walk on, it gives him two more scholly's to
work with. It's not like he'll pay the tuition. Barta will just extend his contract.

Why do you think Connor will get a scholly in basketball when he is playing baseball?
I can promise you if Hauser wants to come to Iowa, Fran will make room if he needs too.
It's a huge advantage for coach to have both of his sons walk on, it gives him two more scholly's to
work with. It's not like he'll pay the tuition. Barta will just extend his contract.

1. Houser ain't coming to Iowa.
2. JW is getting the only scholarship in that class.
3. Tom has reported that Fran isn't actively recruiting any '18 recruits.
4. IF an extra scholarship opened and IF Houser was somehow interested despite not still being actively recruited, Fran would most definitely take him.
5. If an extra scholarship for '18 opens, CM will get it (see #1).
6. If CM is playing both, why wouldn't he be on scholarship if there's one available for him? He can be on a basketball scholarship and play baseball.

Reactions: Jumpshot00
Joey Hauser is an outstanding prospect but mostly likely not a "one and done". He and his family have handled his recruitment in an admirable fashion. MU was presumed to have been in the lead for Joey for a number of reasons, most growing out the fact that Bo did not offer older brother Sam now in Milwaukee.
I was told in January that there a good relationship between the family and Coach Gard and that Wisconsin is no less that in an even race with Marquette. Coach Izzo has been watching him closely, including several trips to Stevens Point for his HS games.
I can't help but think that the decision of one of his former HS teammates, Trevor Anderson (sp?) (also not offered by Bo) to leave WI-Green Bay and walk on at Wisconsin coupled with PF Morrow getting a scholarship from Wojo helps Coach Gard's chances of getting him to play in Madison. Joey is the only player Wisconsin is presently recruiting for the last opening in the 2018 class.
It doesn't appear a decision has been made. Reportedly, Duke is interested.
Joey hasn't taken his official visits so the decision process may continue for a while. It is hard to rule anyone out at this point, including Iowa for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkinCarmel
Unless Joey Hauser waits till spring of 2018 to sign a LOI, do people seriously think we're going to have people leave before Hauser likely commits and signs a LOI in the fall of 2017?

Chances are slim to none, yet it's brought up again and again. Move along, nothing to see here.

As we have reported here on this site for a while, Iowa doesn't have a scholarship and isn't actively recruiting the 2018 class. During this period, Fran's focus has been on the 2019 group.

Reactions: SSG T
Coach Jake strikes me as a guy a kid would want to play for, plus he might see himself as having more playing time/more of a leadership role. UNI's program does not necessarily take a back seat to Iowa anymore...Iowa will need to go to a Sweet 16 or two for them to be considered superior to UNI separate from what the B1G (things beyond Iowa's program) has to offer.
As far as the basketball programs I see your point, although I could argue iowa is better although UNI is solid program. However, when you begin to compare facilities, campus life, quality of education, the city, and as you mentioned the competition is not even comparable. Iowa is the flagship university in the state as it should be

Hopefully Fran's ability to identify recruits early and the fact he can focus almost exclusively on the 2019 class for awhile will lead to success. Fran's recruiting has steadily ticked upward and the '19 class that already has Patrick M. (hopefully nothing changes there) has a chance to be the most talented and deepest of all his classes so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT