ADVERTISEMENT

Fran McCaffrey thoughts

I have made no secret of the fact that I think Fran's behavior on the sidelines is appalling, but I have to give credit where credit is due, the guy gets a LOT out of the talent he has. I don't blame the people who defend him but I also don't blame the people who feel like he hasn't done enough. That's better than average IMO.

I have made no secret of the fact that I think Fran's behavior on the sidelines is appalling, but I have to give credit where credit is due, the guy gets a LOT out of the talent he has. I don't blame the people who defend him but I also don't blame the people who feel like he hasn't done enough. That's better than average IMO.
I'm a Fran supporter but respect those that aren't. His behavior to me is nice after the Lickliter years. Just watched psu coach lose it on the refs yesterday and said same thing I've heard Fran say, standing up for his players. I can respect that. But i want more than we've gotten. I just happen to think Fran can get us there. Others don't and i can respect that. I knew it was time for Alford and Lickliter to go. Wasn't so sure about Dr. Tom. Was sad to see Lute go.

You shouldn't include Fran's first two years in conference as he inherited a really weak roster from Lick.
Hoiberg and Otzelberger inherited crap when they took over at ISU but they didn't make excuses. They found transfers

Reactions: NI hawk
How do you feel about Matt Campbell's sideline behavior?

Reactions: 30hawk
I thought Fran coached his butt off today but i just can't put in much stock on freshman being ready for big play. I think he's 3 years away from a sweet 16.
Sandfort doesn’t go off, Iowa loses. Period.

Not sure how much coaching had to do with it.

• Haha
Reactions: perryhawk
Wasn’t Fran quoted as saying he needs to get Dix more minutes? What is with his stubbornness on rewarding players? Especially when the guards went 6 for 24 lol. I just don’t understand Fran sometimes. Didn’t get a chance to see the game and a win is a win. But weird…
Ever think he sees the players more than you do? Ever think that maybe he wants to reward hard work, maybe extra work, a kid has shown in practice?

You can make that argument with almost every basketball game.

If certain players don't score enough points you lose.
The point was about coaching. Did Fran coach Sandfort to score 20 pts above his big ten average? Maybe…. doubt it.

I don’t know if there’s a single coach in the country who does more with less. Iowa’s backcourt is not good. They just aren’t. I'll leave it at that.

So, here’s the question I have: Will Fran have some NIL money to work with in the offseason? Because if Fran can add better talent in the backcourt, I think he can take Iowa to the “next level” that the program has been chasing since Dr. Tom.

This was an impressive win by Iowa today. But, man, Fran is always just 1-2 players away from an elite team. If he can benefit from NIL like Kirk has, I like the future of Iowa basketball.

I‘m just worried about losing him to Texas…or to Kentucky if Cal goes to Texas…or to Arkansas or Arizona if those coaches go….

lol

After 13 seasons of zero league titles or even one second tourney weekend, you “like the future of Iowa basketball.” You seriously can’t make this kind of idiocy up.

I‘m just worried about losing him to Texas…or to Kentucky if Cal goes to Texas…or to Arkansas or Arizona if those coaches go….

lol

After 13 seasons of zero league titles or even one second tourney weekend, you “like the future of Iowa basketball.” You seriously can’t make this kind of idiocy up.

Are you afraid of losing Kirk to any of those schools? Zero league titles in the last 18 years. One major bowl win in 24 seasons (14 seasons ago). I don’t think Kirk is a bad coach and highly doubt you do either. The double standard around here is something you can’t make up.

Speaking of idiocy…. This is Fran’s 13th season, so it’s not after 13 seasons. That’s not including one season being completely cancelled either.

you “like the future of Iowa basketball.”
Odd how you omitted the first half of that sentence. You’re either intentionally dishonest or have serious reading comprehension issues. Given the stupid drivel you posted in your haste to be a smug prick, I’m guessing a lot of both.

Yes, if Fran can upgrade the talent level in the backcourt via the portal, he will get better results. I think that’s pretty obvious.

FTR, I’m not a Fran apologist and have said numerous times Iowa should part ways with him. However, the portal and new NIL rules have changed the game. So, yes, it’s possible that Fran can achieve what he hasn’t been able to in 13 years.

Sandfort doesn’t go off, Iowa loses. Period.

Not sure how much coaching had to do with it.
Well we were up 18 at one point. Definitely doing something right. Although Sandfort scored like 11 points in less than 4 minutes. Incredible. But the defensive calls and even plays were pretty good coaching.

Are you afraid of losing Kirk to any of those schools? Zero league titles in the last 18 years. One major bowl win in 24 seasons (14 seasons ago). I don’t think Kirk is a bad coach and highly doubt you do either. The double standard around here is something you can’t make up.

Speaking of idiocy…. This is Fran’s 13th season, so it’s not after 13 seasons. That’s not including one season being completely cancelled either.
There’s a big difference in football and basketball. In college football every game literally matters and is important. The postseason (unless it’s a conference title game, cfp, or heck the rose bowl) doesn’t really matter.
Completely opposite in basketball. All that matters is what you do in March.
So based on those metrics is how people look at college football and basketball coaches at iowa.

The point was about coaching. Did Fran coach Sandfort to score 20 pts above his big ten average? Maybe…. doubt it.
He said Fran coached his butt off and then you countered with something that did not have any relevance to how well Fran coached.

Sandforts shooting doesn't mean Fran did or didn't coach well.

Reactions: littlez
Well we were up 18 at one point. Definitely doing something right. Although Sandfort scored like 11 points in less than 4 minutes. Incredible. But the defensive calls and even plays were pretty good coaching.
The game plan in general on both ends was solid.

Normally I despise zone but in this case it countered what Rutgers wants to do on offense.

The offensive game plan on how to attack Rutgers screen traps also worked well and is a big reason why Iowa had so many good looks from 3.

He said Fran coached his butt off and then you countered with something that did not have any relevance to how well Fran coached.

But the plays he drew up seemed to work pretty well as did the defensive calls and which defense to switch to during the game. There was a lot more to the game than Sandfort getting hot. If Murray doesn't score 17 we lose or Rebraca also we lose. Not really a point to say Fran didn't do a good job because Sandfort got hot.

There’s a big difference in football and basketball. In college football every game literally matters and is important. The postseason (unless it’s a conference title game, cfp, or heck the rose bowl) doesn’t really matter.
Completely opposite in basketball. All that matters is what you do in March.
So based on those metrics is how people look at college football and basketball coaches at iowa.

I hope you’re right in regards to the Eastern Illinois game. But I don’t think it’s that simple. There’s an old baseball saying and I believe it applies to football and basketball equally. “You can’t win a pennant in April, but you can certainly lose one.” There’s definitely a larger margin for error in different sports, no question, but all games matter one way or another.

Even if Iowa does make the tournament several of their November and December games will have a huge impact on their seeding. Last year, in February and March Iowa’s record was 12-2 and they received a 5 seed. To say the Nov, Dec, and Jan games had no effect on that isn’t being completely accurate.

Another big difference between football and basketball is that about 25% of the athletic budget is spent towards football, while Iowa basketball is getting about 6%. Obviously CFB and Iowa football is the money maker, but it would nice for Iowa basketball to get a bigger piece of the pie. By comparison, Nebraska and Indiana spend about 10% on their basketball programs and MSU is around 9%. Iowa is 10th in the B1G of dollars spent towards Bball above Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minn (N’western not reporting).

The dude has won everywhere he’s been. And he designs the best dang OB plays in the country. He also coaches a fun style to watch as a fan. And, as a player, I would have loved to play on a team that runs an open concept like they do. I mean, unless you have shite chemistry among the players, then it would be awful.

You can’t possibly love everything about Fran. But there’s a helluva lot more to like than ol’ Lickballs.

Last edited:
fify...

Why yes he did give Sandfort the opportunity to shoot through his slump. If that's not coaching, what is it?

lack of depth.

What are the choices, write off Sandfort and his brother and send both packing or play Sandfort through his slump?

Fran is neither a bad coach or a great coach...he's guy with 30 year coaching career and zero sweet16 appearances, little bit above 0.500 in B1G play. Iowa the university is little bit above 0.500 in B1G play for last 60 years.

Reactions: Herklejerk
The dude has won everywhere he’s been. And he designs the best dang OB plays in the country. He also coaches a fun style to watch as a fan. And, as a player, I would have loved to play on a team that runs an open concept like they do. I mean, unless you have shot chemistry among the players, then it would be awful.

You can’t possibly love everything about Fran. But there’s a helluva lot more to like than ol’ Lickballs.
I've said before he's an offensive savant. And yes, if there is one thing McCaffrey does exceptionally well it's OOB plays. That lob play to Kris was an absolutely perfect use of personnel. Fran excels at that.

You're a silly poster. I don't take you seriously.

Odd how you omitted the first half of that sentence. You’re either intentionally dishonest or have serious reading comprehension issues. Given the stupid drivel you posted in your haste to be a smug prick, I’m guessing a lot of both.

Yes, if Fran can upgrade the talent level in the backcourt via the portal, he will get better results. I think that’s pretty obvious.

FTR, I’m not a Fran apologist and have said numerous times Iowa should part ways with him. However, the portal and new NIL rules have changed the game. So, yes, it’s possible that Fran can achieve what he hasn’t been able to in 13 years.
lol

Take it easy, Margaret.

We are losing Filip, Connor, and most likely Kris.

Let's just hope the we're over the play of the past few weeks.
Good lord, the last few weeks saw the best player, Kriss, and starting guard Ahron Ulis out for two of those games (no matter what you think of him). In addition before Christmas they did not play or probably practice as a team due to finals. Then they play one game before not playing for 8 days. They play Wisconsin with Kriss and Ahron out and almost come back and beat them. Trying to get your momentum after all that went on pre Christmas and the large gaps in playing. It took a while for their to be any chemistry. Now they are getting it and will be Ok for this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT