ADVERTISEMENT

Fran needs to move on.

The same people that want Fran gone would've given Lisa the boot 6-7 years ago. Man I love the Hawkeyes, but I sure hate a good chunk of our fans, they're a pretty insufferable bunch.
Exactly. Fran puts on a very entertaining product, almost always finishes in the top half of the Big, consistently makes the NCAAs and won the BTT just two years ago. I think the potential is there for a nice NCAA run at the end of his career, but that is no the test for my satisfaction. And he's a good respected representative of the University who runs a very clean program. I enjoy the entire year and try not to get wrapped up in how we lose the last game of the year. Most teams do.

Exactly. Fran puts on a very entertaining product, almost always finishes in the top half of the Big, consistently makes the NCAAs and won the BTT just two years ago. I think the potential is there for a nice NCAA run at the end of his career, but that is no the test for my satisfaction. And he's a good respected representative of the University who runs a very clean program. I enjoy the entire year and try not to get wrapped up in how we lose the last game of the year. Most teams do.
So do you enjoy his temper tantrums as a "respected representative of the University"? Or his snarkyness with the media when asked anything difficult, like why he can't make a run in the tourney? Iowa can do much better, and has before.

So do you enjoy his temper tantrums as a "respected representative of the University"? Or his snarkyness with the media when asked anything difficult, like why he can't make a run in the tourney? Iowa can do much better, and has before.
According to our NIL director we are close to the bottom of the conference in basketball NIL, our budget for men's hoops in near the bottom of the conference, we can't get fans to fill out our stadium most of the time even though we have had 5 straight NCAA tournament teams and multiple National POTY candidates and play a fun & entertaining style, plus there have been coaches opinion polls that rank Iowa toward the bottom in the power conference in terms of recruiting footprint.

With all of that information, what tier of coach do you think is going to be attracted to come to Iowa? And to be quite frank, the item that probably is most concerning is the NIL piece as that's what makes jobs attractive right now--it's exactly the reasoning as why Shrewsberry left Penn State this past offseason and why Cooley left for Georgetown. That's not even mentioning that Iowa would almost certainly need to pony up more money for the job--Fran is 13th out of 14 in salary in the Big Ten, the only coach who he is making more than is Ben Johnson.

If you think Kris Murray as a freshman was a "NBA" caliber player at that time you're kidding yourself. People tend to forget kids develop and I'll give Kris all the credit in the world for doing so. He did not deserve to play as a freshman.
People forget kids develop and Fran-stans ignore his kids aren't very good and, also, Patrophy.

I like Fran. And fine seeing him another 2 years at least, But Iowa is too good of a university to go this long without a sweet 16. If development progresses like his previous teams next year could be a decent roster. So next year should have a shot at tourney. The following year if there is no hope of anything exciting in March then I would expect change soon.

According to our NIL director we are close to the bottom of the conference in basketball NIL, our budget for men's hoops in near the bottom of the conference, we can't get fans to fill out our stadium most of the time even though we have had 5 straight NCAA tournament teams and multiple National POTY candidates and play a fun & entertaining style, plus there have been coaches opinion polls that rank Iowa toward the bottom in the power conference in terms of recruiting footprint.

With all of that information, what tier of coach do you think is going to be attracted to come to Iowa? And to be quite frank, the item that probably is most concerning is the NIL piece as that's what makes jobs attractive right now--it's exactly the reasoning as why Shrewsberry left Penn State this past offseason and why Cooley left for Georgetown. That's not even mentioning that Iowa would almost certainly need to pony up more money for the job--Fran is 13th out of 14 in salary in the Big Ten, the only coach who he is making more than is Ben Johnson.
Bring Deano home.

Fran is done-ski.

Washed.

Cooked.

Thanks for your service, Francis.

The same people that want Fran gone would've given Lisa the boot 6-7 years ago. Man I love the Hawkeyes, but I sure hate a good chunk of our fans, they're a pretty insufferable bunch.
Two first-round draft picks and this Ivy Leaguer couldn't figure out how, not only, to play them together, but how to play them with Garza.

Fran is a chump.

Reactions: Hawkstate1

Until just a few years ago Iowa was still in the Top 25 programs in the history of college basketball. ANY B1G program is considered a step up for most college coaches. The NIL money follows both success and fan support. I, like many Iowa fans, would not give a dime right now to support Fran. On the positive side, he did bring the program back from the depths of the Lick/Alford years. A new coach would generate excitement. Lute didn't come from a blue blood program, nor did Ralph Miller. Great coaches are out there, it is time for Iowa to take the next step.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10

you might want to look at Bluders accomplishments and how long it took to achieve those before comparing Fran to her.

He needed to move on years ago
Years ago, huh? When would that have been? His third year when he won 25 games? Or his fifth and sixth years when he won 22? Or five years ago when he won 23? Or maybe two years ago when he won 26? Oh, you're probably referring to his one losing season since his first year. Yeah, you really have a good point! And that's how you find and retain good coaches....by firing the guy who will shortly be the all-time winning coach at your school. Good plan!

Dean-O is a former Hawk but besides being an assistant at Swissconsin what has he accomplished? Why not target a known name brand coach? Someone who has a proven track record.
Yeah, let's go get the next Siena phenom who plays his kids instead of two first-rounders.

How does Iowa State manage to compete? They have $110 million athletic budget vs Iowa's $140 million. NIL money follows excitement with program. NIL money is bad at Iowa basketball because the product doesn't do anything in post season play.

Fran is not a good marketer and nothing has been done under Fran/Barta to make Carver a better home court. Fran more interested in making sure he's getting his $3million/yr and maximizing playing time for boys than pushing for any changes like low cost tickets for students/special busses from dorms/anything creative at all. I'm pretty sure they could go to Enginering school and come up with plan to make Carver more noisey/less hospitible to opposing teams. Closing off the top open viewing areas would reflect back sound. Move students next to court. Lots of things could be done.

The post season success has not been there. Fran is not going to be fired. Obviously a bunch of posters are solidly behind Fran on this board, but not to the level/or numbers where they actually show up at Carver or donate NIL money. He is better than LIckliter. and Alford.

How does Iowa State manage to compete? They have $110 million athletic budget vs Iowa's $140 million. NIL money follows excitement with program. NIL money is bad at Iowa basketball because the product doesn't do anything in post season play.

Fran is not a good marketer and nothing has been done under Fran/Barta to make Carver a better home court. Fran more interested in making sure he's getting his $3million/yr and maximizing playing time for boys than pushing for any changes like low cost tickets for students/special busses from dorms/anything creative at all. I'm pretty sure they could go to Enginering school and come up with plan to make Carver more noisey/less hospitible to opposing teams. Closing off the top open viewing areas would reflect back sound. Move students next to court. Lots of things could be done.

The post season success has not been there. Fran is not going to be fired. Obviously a bunch of posters are solidly behind Fran on this board, but not to the level/or numbers where they actually show up at Carver or donate NIL money. He is better than LIckliter. and Alford.
First of all, if you don't know who is funding Iowa State's basketball NIL at this point, you must be living under a rock. They have a billionaire sugar daddy who is separate from their collective who only donates to basketball since he is good friends with TJ.

As for the Carver experience, I know that Fran has been advocating for students to move closer to the court since he got here--that was a Barta hard line that he took. This semester, there is a class in the business school that is working on how to improve Carver for students and the overall gameday experience and Fran has met with this class several times to give input and answer questions. Goetz actually seems committed to getting this done so we shall see. There's a feasibility study that is being done and I beleive apart of that is some suite level area to move the donors that sit around the court to be replaced by the students. In 6 months of Goetz I've heard more movement on students getting courtside than the entire time that Barta was here.

And back to your piece on fundraising only following once there is postseason success is exactly the concern that any potential coaching candidate would have of Iowa. It basically says that our fans are warm-weather fans. It's amazing how places like Georgetown and Louisville seem to have NIL money right now even though they have been dumpster fires the past few years. Look at the University of Washington--they lured Mulcahey and Brooks and Wheeler there the past couple of years via NIL--they haven't made the tournament in the last 4 years with that coach and everyone wants him fired. NIL isn't just the thing that players care about--it's also the biggest thing that most coaches care about when they are looking for jobs right now. Noone wants to enter into a job with one hand tied behind their back and that's basically what our men's hoops NIL is at the moment.

Reactions: skydog0784
See
First of all, if you don't know who is funding Iowa State's basketball NIL at this point, you must be living under a rock. They have a billionaire sugar daddy who is separate from their collective who only donates to basketball since he is good friends with TJ.

As for the Carver experience, I know that Fran has been advocating for students to move closer to the court since he got here--that was a Barta hard line that he took. This semester, there is a class in the business school that is working on how to improve Carver for students and the overall gameday experience and Fran has met with this class several times to give input and answer questions. Goetz actually seems committed to getting this done so we shall see. There's a feasibility study that is being done and I beleive apart of that is some suite level area to move the donors that sit around the court to be replaced by the students. In 6 months of Goetz I've heard more movement on students getting courtside than the entire time that Barta was here.

And back to your piece on fundraising only following once there is postseason success is exactly the concern that any potential coaching candidate would have of Iowa. It basically says that our fans are warm-weather fans. It's amazing how places like Georgetown and Louisville seem to have NIL money right now even though they have been dumpster fires the past few years. Look at the University of Washington--they lured Mulcahey and Brooks and Wheeler there the past couple of years via NIL--they haven't made the tournament in the last 4 years with that coach and everyone wants him fired. NIL isn't just the thing that players care about--it's also the biggest thing that most coaches care about when they are looking for jobs right now. Noone wants to enter into a job with one hand tied behind their back and that's basically what our men's hoops NIL is at the moment.
Seems to me some rich engineering graduates could fund basketball NIL. Or lawyers. Hard to believe there isn’t some alumni who would step up. That’s on the AD.

Reactions: Ronman
The program is fairly stable but it's really a perennial underachiever. Hanging another NCAA tournament participation banner up in Carver... yippee.
Frans been here well before NIL was ever a thing & he wasn’t lighting the recruiting world on fire then, that seems like a convenient excuse.

I don’t really think it’s a mystery, you can correlate the lack of NCAA success with a lack of good guards, & Iowa never has them. I don't think there's much to lose by making a change.

The program is fairly stable but it's really a perennial underachiever. Hanging another NCAA tournament participation banner up in Carver... yippee.
Frans been here well before NIL was ever a thing & he wasn’t lighting the recruiting world on fire then, that seems like a convenient excuse.

I don’t really think it’s a mystery, you can correlate the lack of NCAA success with a lack of good guards, & Iowa never has them. I don't think there's much to lose by making a change.
Fran's an OK coach.
I like to see a good amount of scoring, so I grant the "entertaining style" of b-ball point. Still, the atrocious defense and lack of attention to improving it sticks in my craw.
The abysmal NCAA tourney performance is what's most hard to stomach. Some don't care about it and are OK with regular season games and point to the occasional upset. I'm not one of them. It's always been the pinnacle of the b-ball season for me; outstrips anything else by quite a bit.
Fran's not going anywhere. Unlike the BF mess in football, the fact that Fran's teams flop in the NCAA is not on the same level as having the most incompetent offense in all of D-1. Fran's teams will continue to have a mix of good games and beat downs against the better programs during regular season followed up by poor NCAA tourney showing. While I've been ready for a change for years, I'm not going to beat my head against a wall over it. When Fran retires it will be interesting to see what direction they go. Until then, watch the Hawks for regular season then watch the other teams that actually are prepped to play in the most important event of the b-ball season.

Underachieving? In what world?

2019: preseason projected B1G finish 11th. Finished 6th seeded 6th in BTT. 10 seed in NCAA

2020: preseason projected B1G finish 10th. Finished 5th seeded 5th in BTT. No NCAA Tournament but clearly in. NR preseason, finished ranked 25th.

2021: preseason projected B1G finish 2nd. Finished 3rd and seeded 3rd in BTT. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Preseason ranking of 5th and finished 8th.

2022: preseason projected B1G finish 10th. Finished 4th and seeded 5th in BTT. Won the BTT. Seeded 5th in NCAA Tournament. Preseason NR - Finished ranked 16th.

2023: preseason projected B1G finish 10th. Finished 5th and seeded 5th in BTT. NCAA Tournament seeded 8th. Preseason NR and finished NR.

How anyone could suggest that Iowa is a “perennial” underachiever is comical.

Year after year Logic regurgitates the same athletic budget, but never reads the replies that inform him.

Iowa’s total athletic expenses in 2022:

Total expenses $151,144,000
Basketball expenses $10,277,000 (9th in B1G
Football expenses $49,396,000 (5th in B1G)
*Northwestern not reporting

Iowa State total expenses: $111,227,000
Basketball expenses: $7,482,000
Football expenses: $28,664,000

Until just a few years ago Iowa was still in the Top 25 programs in the history of college basketball. ANY B1G program is considered a step up for most college coaches. The NIL money follows both success and fan support. I, like many Iowa fans, would not give a dime right now to support Fran. On the positive side, he did bring the program back from the depths of the Lick/Alford years. A new coach would generate excitement. Lute didn't come from a blue blood program, nor did Ralph Miller. Great coaches are out there, it is time for Iowa to take the next step.
I did give a couple of dimes for the NIL which I hope will eventually find their way to the basketball program and did so happily, hoping eventually other Iowa fans would step up and give enough to spread it among several sports. Most on here realize how good of coaches Miller and Olson were, but many weren't even alive back then and have just the records and legends to go by. But the fact is, the sport of college basketball was a very different animal back then and was almost considered a minor sport, of course, to football. Miller was plucked from Wichita after thirteen years and one NCAA appearance and built Iowa into a juggernaut after five seasons, during which the mob now would be calling for his head. Olson was brought in by Bump Elliot after the disastrous misstep of hiring Iowa's baseball coach, Dick Schultz to coach the four interim years. Those of us that remember Candy LaPrince and Neil Fegebank as the stars of those team still cringe. Lute came to us after one very successful season at Long Beach State. He brought his "stars" with him and slowly built up the program until making the NCAA Tournament in '79. Then came the magic 1980 season, which was marred by Ronnie's knee injury at Dayton. After that, we had a couple disappointing NCAA appearances losing in the first and second rounds. By then the fans were grumbling and Lute was looking for a warm spot to land. The rest is history. Anyway, the point is that college basketball was still in it's infancy back then, with usually one game a week on TV. The sport today is so much more competitive, even for the coaches. Win or else at this level. McCaffery wins, like it or not. Look how many coaches have come and gone in the B1G since he took over at Iowa. I am one that is willing to let him play this out for as long as he wants to be the Head Hawkeye, unless there is malfeasance or the program just totally falls off the cliff.

I did give a couple of dimes for the NIL which I hope will eventually find their way to the basketball program and did so happily, hoping eventually other Iowa fans would step up and give enough to spread it among several sports. Most on here realize how good of coaches Miller and Olson were, but many weren't even alive back then and have just the records and legends to go by. But the fact is, the sport of college basketball was a very different animal back then and was almost considered a minor sport, of course, to football. Miller was plucked from Wichita after thirteen years and one NCAA appearance and built Iowa into a juggernaut after five seasons, during which the mob now would be calling for his head. Olson was brought in by Bump Elliot after the disastrous misstep of hiring Iowa's baseball coach, Dick Schultz to coach the four interim years. Those of us that remember Candy LaPrince and Neil Fegebank as the stars of those team still cringe. Lute came to us after one very successful season at Long Beach State. He brought his "stars" with him and slowly built up the program until making the NCAA Tournament in '79. Then came the magic 1980 season, which was marred by Ronnie's knee injury at Dayton. After that, we had a couple disappointing NCAA appearances losing in the first and second rounds. By then the fans were grumbling and Lute was looking for a warm spot to land. The rest is history. Anyway, the point is that college basketball was still in it's infancy back then, with usually one game a week on TV. The sport today is so much more competitive, even for the coaches. Win or else at this level. McCaffery wins, like it or not. Look how many coaches have come and gone in the B1G since he took over at Iowa. I am one that is willing to let him play this out for as long as he wants to be the Head Hawkeye, unless there is malfeasance or the program just totally falls off the cliff.
Well said. It’s funny to look back and remember how much hell we gave Lute for “choking “ in the 2nd round after the dreamy final four year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT