ADVERTISEMENT

Frantastic

Defenders of the program are slowly falling on a sword into their gut. Slow pain death.

I've met Fran a couple of times, he seems nice.

But Iowa should NOT accept mediocrity

The thing that I am truly apathetic about is that its not that Iowa loses, its how they lose.

And its the same reasons, every time.

Correct, Sandfort should not have been in on the last defensive possession. Although he did display awful fundamental angles, which is a sign of poor defensive coaching.

Krikke should not have been in either.

Freeman had fouled out.

Harding, Bowen, Perkins, Dix, Brauns
Not Harding…too small…which is why Fran took him out in that last defensive stand.

I feel like I should be pretty upset with myself about not watching bball games, but I just don't. I never missed a televised game in the previous 30 years - aside from some of the dark times of the Lickliter era - but I just can't find the excitement for it like I used to.

Its a culmination of this season and the accrued lack of any true NCAA Tourney success despite the talent available in the recent past.

Nowadays I'm pleasantly surprised to see they won when they do, but otherwise its more like "glad I dodged that bullet".
So, you’re no longer an Iowa b-ball fan. I gotcha, as it’s difficult to stick with them.

I understand. I'm just tired of the game by game meltdowns. This is a young team but us choking in the dance year in and year out has taken any equity Fran had away as well. I'm on the fence.
There is a way to avoid seeing the game by game meltdowns.

People act like social media is their right and you must conform to make it a safe space for them. It's not so either toughen up or avoid it.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
We played solid man all night. Go to zone and it gets carved up. I know we were in some foul trouble, but man.
Also don't get how Peyton was in on defense on the last possession.
Harding-Bowen-Dix-Freeman-?? (not Sandfort) should have been our defensive team there.

Up six with back to back turnovers sealed the deal,.. saw it coming.

• Angry
Reactions: NI hawk
Not Harding…too small…which is why Fran took him out in that last defensive stand.
Brock guards the ball as well as anyone on the team. It's about quickness to contain the ball, which we saw Peyton did not have, although he would have made it easier on himself by taking a proper angle

Reactions: Barnbomber
So, you’re no longer an Iowa b-ball fan. I gotcha, as it’s difficult to stick with them.
No longer on the Fran bandwagon, but however you wanna call it.

Completely ending a fandom would mean not recording games or visiting this forum, as well.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Among the current power conference programs (include Big East in basketball), 65 of those 76 programs have made it to the Sweet 16 in the 21st century. Iowa is one of 11 that hasn’t made a tourney run.

Fran Fatigue is in full force. Letting him return next season will result in even lower attendance.
That is inexcusable for a program like Iowa.

I agree with you.

The problem is the rebuild doesn’t mean much at this point in Fran’s tenure. Even if Iowa got hot in February and snuck into the tournament, it would just be another season that ended the first weekend of the Dance. Yawn.

My sense is most Iowa fans are appreciative of Fran bringing Iowa basketball back from the Lickliter doldrums, but now that Fran has been here a decade and a half and has more seasons at Iowa under his belt than Dr. Tom, fans have grown tired of the same ho hum results. The program is just stale and kinda rancid at this point. No matter who the players are, the same deficiencies in defense, rebounding, toughness, athleticism, etc. persist. There just isn’t any sign of that ever changing under Fran, and without those aforementioned team attributes the results in March will continue on BAU.

I think that’s the point. Pretty much all Iowa basketball fans get Iowa’s place in the pecking order as far as being a non-blue blood is concerned. With that said, most Iowa fans also get it is not unreasonable to expect a little more energy and excitement to be injected into the program by bringing in a few better athletes while trying to improve upon areas of weakness that always plague Fran teams. With that, instill the possibility of making a decent run in the NCAA tournament once in a blue moon as opposed to never.

Unfortunately, @curtisj157 is 100% right when he says you can’t put out a basketball team that looks handpicked from the J Crew sales team and expect them to compete at a high level. A team full of C+ versions of Kyle Korver may light up the nets against East Alabama State A&M but winning consistently in the Big Ten is another matter. And it certainly doesn’t put butts in seats at Carver.

It’s time for a change.
If this was an intramural accounting school league, we’d fit in better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT