ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman and Harding Alert !

In workman like fashion, Moline won it's 12th win in a row against a patient Morton team by the score of 66-46. Owen Freeman had 18 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks, and Brock Harding ended up with a double double with 17 points and 10 assists and hit 2 clutch buzzer beaters, one at the end of the first quarter and one at the buzzer before the half which was a one handed 3 pointer. Announcers called him a bad man, just filthy. If you don't get out and see him in one of the 9 remaining home games at Wharton Field House, or at East Moline on January 6th you're missing seeing a special player.
Moline will play 11-3 Mt Carmel for the Championship of the Pekin Insurance Holiday Basketball Tournament at 6:30pm tomorrow night.
With all due respects, IllQChawk, I am less concerned about how great he looks at Moline than I am how well he adapts to the college game at Iowa. There are legions of HS superstars that flamed out at a tougher level. I truly hope both Harding and Freeman will be the exceptions.

Last edited:
With all due respects, IllQChawk, I am less concerned about how great he looks at Moline than I am how well he adapts to the college game at Iowa. There are legions of HS superstars that panned out at a tougher level. I truly hope both Harding and Freeman will be the exceptions.
You're right, there is a big difference between playing at the high school level then playing at the P5 college level. As much as I admire both Owen and Brock at Moline. Brock will have Ulis and Bowen to overcome to get playing time and might decide to take the year off to get stronger, Owen on the other hand could get playing time next year, but those two have been together for the last 4 years so I could see both would like to play all 4 years together and graduate together. I have no inside knowledge that this scenario would happen, but it could, nothing would surprise me.....

Last edited:
I guess it will depend on the development of Ogundele and Mulvey and whether McCaffery can finally convince a big to transfer in from the portal. He's certainly tried hard, but trying don't feed the bulldog. In addition, aren't we still pursuing a 7 footer from HS?

You're right, there is a big difference between playing at the high school level then playing at the P5 college level. As much as I admire both Owen and Brock at Moline. Brock will have Ulis and Bowen to overcome to get playing time and might decide to take the year off to get stronger, Owen on the other hand could get playing time next year, but those two have been together for the last 4 years so I could see both would like to play all 4 years together and graduate together. I have no inside knowledge that this scenario would happen, but it could, nothing would surprise me.....
My cousin’s went to Moline High many years ago and 1 of them was a linebacker for Moline. I don’t know about the other three which were girls. If your up there in age you probably no of them. Yeah you’re right about what the team needs to work on I’ve noticed that. It’s fun watching them I hoped they improve that area. I definitely will go to state if they make it that far.

Class 3A 9th ranked Mt Carmel now 15-1, took advantage of every loose ball and basically out played Moline almost the entire 2nd half to take a 74-61 victory over Moline in the Championship of the Pekin Insurance Holiday Tournament. Owen Freeman finished with 25 points being double and triple teamed and Harding had 11. Moline was up 32-28 at half and quickly stretched it to 9 at the beginning of the 3rd, but at that point in the game it was all Mt. Carmel. Moline couldn't get to any loose balls or come up with long rebounds and just didn't play smart enough to get back into the game. Didn't get rebound or assist numbers so hopefully I'll come up with them tomorrow.
Freeman received MVP of the tournament and both Owen and Harding made the all-tournament team.
Moline gets back in action on Friday the 6th, at United Township of East Moline a another Western Big 6 conference tilt hopefully to start another winning streak.

Last edited:
Additional info for this weekend Moline games against United Township of East Moline and Vashon high school of St. Louis Mo.
The game against East Moline is at 12-3 East Moline at 7pm. It is a Western Big 6 Conference game.
Now for the updated info I just got about a half hour ago.
The game against #1 Vashon high school of St. Louis, Mo. is part of the 31st annual Highland Optimist Shootout scheduled for this Saturday the 7th at Highland high school which is approximately 30 miles ENE of St. Louis, Mo. The gym holds approximately 3000 people and the game is at approximately 8:30pm.
There are 8 other games starting at 9:30am and concluding with the Moline vs Vashon game. Hopefully, QCSportnet.com will be there to broadcast the game on the internet.
Vashon is currently 6-5 and is listed #1 in Missouri's class 4 rankings. They ultimately play the best teams in the country every week which is probably why they're ranked so high even though they have lost 5 games so far this season. Games going to be interesting to listen to for sure, they must be athletic as hell.

Last edited:
Class 3A 9th ranked Mt Carmel now 15-1, took advantage of every loose ball and basically out played Moline almost the entire 2nd half to take a 74-61 victory over Moline in the Championship of the Pekin Insurance Holiday Tournament. Owen Freeman finished with 25 points being double and triple teamed and Harding had 11. Moline was up 32-28 at half and quickly stretched it to 9 at the beginning of the 3rd, but at that point in the game it was all Mt. Carmel. Moline couldn't get to any loose balls or come up with long rebounds and just didn't play smart enough to get back into the game. Didn't get rebound or assist numbers so hopefully I'll come up with them tomorrow.
Freeman received MVP of the tournament and both Owen and Harding made the all-tournament team.
Moline gets back in action on Friday the 6th, at United Township of East Moline a another Western Big 6 conference tilt hopefully to start another winning streak.
My sense is Freeman is going to be one of the best recruits we've had in recent years. He just really looks the part to me. I'm certainly no expert but based on the videos I've seen, he's going to make immediate and significant contributions.

My buddy in Chicago says Simeon HS has a very quick but small pg ...I know Moline plays them later in the season.
Looking forward to seeing how Brock Harding fares in that matchup.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Moline came away with a hard fought 56-47 Western Big 6 conference game at East Moline United Township tonight. It sounded as if East Moline played a slow down game because of their lack of height. Owen Freeman ended up with 16 and Brock Harding playing facilitator and ball handler, ended up with 10.
Next up for Moline, is Vashon high school of St. Louis Missouri tomorrow night in Highland, Il. game time is at 8:30 and as always you can listen on line to the game at QCSportsnet.com.

Wasn’t to impressed by our recruits last night. Freeman was double teamed but both players appeared to be 6ft or under. Moline I thought did a bad job of getting the ball into him., Many times they could have lob the ball into him. I thought easily, but they just didn’t do it. Harding needs to work on 3 point shooting for sure. It’s a huge rival I get it and it definitely was a battle and Moline pulled it out. Todays game they better show up with a better game plan or Vashon will roll them.

My buddy in Chicago says Simeon HS has a very quick but small pg ...I know Moline plays them later in the season.
Looking forward to seeing how Brock Harding fares in that matchup.
Lots of size for the wolverines too. Twins that are both D1 recruits.

I am seeing two different scores that Moline defeated Vashon tonight. Both scores are really different though. Still searching, but it looks like they won.

Thank you for updating the game for me. Sounds like it was a physical game against 2 very talented teams. Glad to see Moline can indeed slow the game down and take the other team out of it by doing so instead of racing up and down the court.
Up next week, the next 4 games are all at Molines Wharton Field House. Tuesday, Sterling high school 7pm, Friday, Alleman high school 7pm, Saturday, East St. Louis high school 6:30pm, and on Martin Luther King Jr day. Waubonsie Valley at 3:30pm Busy week this next week for sure, for the 4A, 5 ranked team in the State of Illinois.

Just finished watching the last 6 games Moline has played including the Pekin Holiday Tournament.
I'm going to be honest with you all, Owen has been spectacular, but this is about Brock.
In the last 6 games I've watched and Moline has played, Brock is in a horrible shooting slump. He couldn't shoot any worse if he had his eyes closed and his shooting percentage is only better, because he's making most of his layups. His shots are either short or off the back of the rim and I'm not sure what the problem is but he's definitely in a major shooting slump. Hope he can pull a Payton Sandfort within the next month and a half, because Moline will need his shooting to go along with all the other great things he does in ball handing, facilitating, rebounding, and steals.

Owen was his usual dominant self tonight. The younger Freeman (sophomore guard) had himself a night, too. Braden (6'6", the last I heard) had been out with a shoulder injury.

As you can see in the last tweet, Brock had 20 points.

Moline is now 15-2, 6-0 WB6.

Their stats & the QC Times game story (FREE to read):

Last edited:
Brock also came out of his shooting slump with 5-3 point field goals before leaving the game, coaches decision, after being whistled for a technical foul for chirping at a Sterling player near the end of the 3rd period. Braden has been out with a shoulder injury he suffered in the 3rd game of the season, a welcome addition to an already stocked roster.

It sounds as if they play against some really talented teams. The quality of opponents will definitely help in the transition to college.
Check this out. On Saturday the 21 January, Moline plays in the Benet Academy Shootout in Lisle, Ill. 2200 Maple Avenue, against Simeon High School at 6pm. The other games played that day are killers...Brother Rice vs Rolling Meadows at 2:30pm, Whitney Young vs Joliet West at 4pm, the Moline/Simeon game at 6pm, and to finish the night off Benet Academy vs Kenwood at 7:30pm. Might be an excuse to go up there and see 8 of some of the best teams in Illinois this year all in one place.

Reactions: perryhawk
Last nigh Moline defeated Rock Island Alleman 81-32. Brock and Owen played limited minutes to conserve energy for the game tonight against 7 ranked, 3A East St. Louis High School at Wharton Field House 6:30pm. Harding ending up with 13 points, 3- 3 point field goals and Freeman had 9 on 4 of 4 field goals and a 3 pointer and 4 rebounds.

OMG they have one 6’10” center. 6’8”,6’7”,6’”7, two or three guy 6’5” range. And I’m sure they have a great point guard. Damn this ain’t going to be easy to win. Hope it close and they can pull it out

Halftime 42-24 Moline. Freeman with 10, bunch of rebounds and a few blocks, has East St Louis changing their shots underneath. Harding playing great 14 points, two Payton like spins for three’s impressed with both kids. Rest of Molines team playing well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT