ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman and Harding Alert !

No matter how much I think of Brock, I'll guarantee you that Fran won't use Brock until he's a least a Sophomore because Ahron and Desonte are ahead of him and it won't matter one bit how good he shows in practice.
Anyway, Brock needs to get more physically developed to compete in the Big Ten, so it really don't matter anyway whether he plays next year or not.
Well Bowen has had some chances but overall has not played well other then a few spurts. Dix has had some stretches and has played pretty well, leading some more extended run in some games. Brock's minutes will probably be decided on how much Bowen improves his floor game over this season. If he does well, then no real need for Brock to play. If not, he'll probably get some looks. I also wouldn't downplay his chemistry with Freeman, who will most certainly be playing, to get him some minutes.

No matter how much I think of Brock, I'll guarantee you that Fran won't use Brock until he's a least a Sophomore because Ahron and Desonte are ahead of him and it won't matter one bit how good he shows in practice.
Anyway, Brock needs to get more physically developed to compete in the Big Ten, so it really don't matter anyway whether he plays next year or not.
I just hope he keeps the dirty stash. Would be interesting to see what he can do hitting the weight room hard heading into next year as I agree he’ll need a bit more bulk to him. But the kid looks like he will belong.

Was opened in 1928 and home to the NBA’s Tri Cities Blackhawks. Todays Atlanta Hawks. Remember first time there when I was small Turd and watching wrestler Verne Gagne against Maddog Vashon. Seen the Crusher and stood by André the giant once and he scared the shit out of me.
Oh yea, the All star wrestling days. Didn't the Crusher have a brother named Dick the bruiser? They used to train by running with kegs of beer that they emptied by the way back, or so the legend went.... ;)

Oh yea, the All star wrestling days. Didn't the Crusher have a brother named Dick the bruiser? They used to train by running with kegs of beer that they emptied by the way back, or so the legend went.... ;)
Yep, that’s true and also read years ago in real life they say he was the toughest son of a bitch in wrestling and stories about him as a bouncer back in the olden days that he would whomp on two or three guys if he had to. Stories of him bouncing bad ass bars in Dubuque East taverns and bars in Milwaukee. I remember reading these in a magazine years ago about Dick the bruiser, If my memory serves me right Crusher told the stories and he also did some bouncing with the two together. Lol, love those stories. To answer your question I don’t believe they were brothers. Crushers real name was Reggie Luzinski. I don’t remember Dick the bruiser’s real name I suppose you could look it up.

Willian Fritz Afflix was his name. OMG just googled his name and if I knew how to link those photos I would . I can see why all of the wrestler said he was the meanest son of a bitch in real life. Wow!.

Sorry, don’t mean to hijack this thread it’s just for a moment.

Reactions: NI hawk
I think you have no empirical evidence to base this on. How many freshmen have started for Iowa under Fran? Weiskamp, Bohannon, Cook, Gessel, Woodbury? I’m sure I’m missing some.
Yeah a red shirt year would do him wonders. As a redshirt freshman he’s going to see the court a lot imo. We shall see.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
An almost full house tonight watched Moline clinch a tie for the Western Big 6 conference title 12-0 with a 71-54 win against United Township of East Moline improving to 25-3. The teammates of Brock and Owen took center stage and paced the Maroons tonight, Brock ended up with 17 points and 8 assists and made some spectacular plays in the 2nd half to keep Moline comfortably in front and Owen had 10 points and 9 rebounds. Molines defense kept EM's top 3 players under 10 the entire game.
The game was also taped by Mediacom channel 22 to air multiple times in eastern Iowa and western Illinois starting tomorrow at 4:30pm.
Friday Moline travels to Sterling Illinois for their 2nd to last road conference game at 7pm, and ends their home schedule on Saturday against Normal Community high School 7pm.

An almost full house tonight watched Moline clinch a tie for the Western Big 6 conference title 12-0 with a 71-54 win against United Township of East Moline improving to 25-3. The teammates of Brock and Owen took center stage and paced the Maroons tonight, Brock ended up with 17 points and 8 assists and made some spectacular plays in the 2nd half to keep Moline comfortably in front and Owen had 10 points and 9 rebounds. Molines defense kept EM's top 3 players under 10 the entire game.
The game was also taped by Mediacom channel 22 to air multiple times in eastern Iowa and western Illinois starting tomorrow at 4:30pm.
Friday Moline travels to Sterling Illinois for their 2nd to last road conference game at 7pm, and ends their home schedule on Saturday against Normal Community high School 7pm.
This is the second game I have watched Moline play. Their defense looked much much better than it did against Galesburg earlier in the year. You can tell the team is buying a defensively. They are also spreading the ball around more on offense much more. at least this game. Many times Freeman was set up in the high post or on the wing to help spread out the defense and help the other guys go underneath and score. The team is really looking like a team more and more.

Harding might be the headiest point guard I have seen. He can make decisions so fast that it allows him to break on a dime towards the ball or towards the hoop or wherever he needs to go. It makes him that split second faster than everyone else. I am eager to see how his game translates at the next level. He is highly skilled.

Freeman is somebody that could be starting next year. He is very athletic and coordinated for his size. Most of his points come fr. om overpowering his competition athletically but there are some skills there. I am hoping he continues to develop his mid-range jumper. If so he will be a force at Iowa. I'm going to enjoy watching both of them the next 5 years

And I'll say it again, the only way Brock jumps ahead of Ahron Ulis or Desonte Bowen next year is if his game completely outclasses Ahron's and Desonte's during the summer and fall practices that Fran is forced to play him. I just don't see it, Brock is also not as chiseled as Braden Smith and needs to put on more muscle. We'll see, I've never seen a point guard as quick, as skilled, or as heady as Brock in my life time, Harding has overcome a lot of doubt about his game in the last 4 years so anything is possible, I guess.

Reactions: CookyMonster
And I'll say it again, the only way Brock jumps ahead of Ahron Ulis or Desonte Bowen next year is if his game completely outclasses Ahron's and Desonte's during the summer and fall practices that Fran is forced to play him. I just don't see it, Brock is also not as chiseled as Braden Smith and needs to put on more muscle. We'll see, I've never seen a point guard as quick, as skilled, or as heady as Brock in my life time, Harding has overcome a lot of doubt about his game in the last 4 years so anything is possible, I guess.
[/QUOTE
You have seen him play in person multiple times so I think you have a good assessment of his game.
Just from the clips Brock would probably profit from a year to add muscle unless he can beat out Bowen backing Ulis.
Smith is well developed in his upper body making him ready to play immediately.

Anyone wanting to get a look in person of the 2 Iowa recruits at Moline's last regular season home game, I incorrectly stated that the game started at 7pm.
That is not the case, game begins in the afternoon at 3pm after Moline recognizes their 6 seniors at 2:30 that graduate this coming spring. Varsity game only against Normal Community High School.
Moline's post season begins at Bradley-Bourbonnais on the week of February 20th and if they advance to the sectional the 2 games will be played at Moline's Wharton Field House. Game opponents will be announced by the IHSA at 4pm tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:
In a hard fought game against a feisty Sterling Warrior team, Moline came away with a 73-64 win tonight at Sterling. Owen Freeman came away with 21 points, 9 rebounds and 5 blocks, Brock Harding had 15 points and 6 assist and more importantly Moline comes within 1 conference win on Tuesday of becoming the 1st Western Big 6 team to go undefeated since the conference expanded to 8 team a few years back.
Tomorrow, Moline tries to get some revenge against the team the knocked them out of last years sectional in Normal Community high school at Wharton Field House on "senior night" at 3pm with Moline honoring their 6 graduating seniors at 2:30pm
It was also announced today that Moline's first opponent in the Bradley- Bourbonnais's reginal is Minooka High School the 8 seed at that reginal on Wednesday February 22 at 6pm.

Last edited:
In a hard fought game against a feisty Sterling Warrior team, Moline came away with a 73-64 win tonight at Sterling. Owen Freeman came away with 21 points, 9 rebounds and 5 blocks, Brock Harding had 15 points and 6 assist and more importantly Moline comes within 1 conference win on Tuesday of becoming the 1st Western Big 6 team to go undefeated since the conference expanded to 8 team a few years back.
Tomorrow, Moline tries to get some revenge against the team the knocked them out of last years sectional in Normal Community high school at Wharton Field House on "senior night" at 3pm with Moline honoring their 6 graduating seniors at 2:30pm
It was also announced today that Moline's first opponent in the Bradley- Bourbonnais's reginal is Minooka High School the 8 seed at that reginal on Wednesday February 22 at 6pm.
Normal Community has 2024 recruits Jaheem Webber and Braylon Roman. Iowa is involved with both.

Did I hear something about National recruits being re-ranked with both Ladji Dembele and Pryce Sandfort moving up. Freeman was listed around #200. The biggest step up however was Brock Harding. I can't wait to see all these guys in Iowa uniforms.

Today was all about the seniors as Moline dominated Normal Community High School by the score of 64-39. Owen Freeman only ended up with 6 points, a number of rebounds and blocks and played lockdown defense keeping Normal's 2 big men Jaheem Webber and Kobe Walker from becoming a factor, and Jasper Ogburn kept Braylon Roman frustrated all game along with the help of all the rest of the Maroon players. Brock had 13 and an assortment of assists.
After starting the game leading 10 to nothing, it was 16-6 after 1, 36-12 at half and 55-27 after 3. Moline coach Sean Taylor substituted regularly using everyone off the bench that suited up for the game and only Brock played slightly more then 3 quarters.
Last regular season game is on Tuesday at conference foe Illinois Class 1A Alleman High School that should provide more playing time for Moline's bench players.

Last edited:
Today was all about the seniors as Moline dominated Normal Community High School by the score of 64-39. Owen Freeman only ended up with 6 points, a number of rebounds and blocks and played lockdown defense keeping Normal's 2 big men Jaheem Webber and Kobe Walker from becoming a factor, and Jasper Ogburn kept Braylon Roman frustrated all game along with the help of all the rest of the Maroon players. Brock had 13 and an assortment of assists.
After starting the game leading 10 to nothing, it was 16-6 after 1, 36-12 at half and 55-27 after 3. Moline coach Sean Taylor substituted regularly using everyone off the bench that suited up for the game and only Brock played slightly more then 3 quarters.
Last regular season game is on Tuesday at conference foe Illinois Class 1A Alleman High School that should provide more playing time for Moline's bench players.
Thanks for the report. What did you think of Webber as a prospect?

I wasn't impressed with either Jaheem Webber or Normal Community's junior guard Braylon Roman. Don't know if it was the stifling defense the Moline team played against them or they just had an off night. Either way, I hope there's better players that Iowa go's after then these two.

Playing approximately half the game with everyone that dressed playing extended minutes Brock Harding had 14 points and Owen Freeman ended up with 12 in a 69-28 win over conference foe and Class 1A Alleman Pioneers, there by going undefeated in Western Big 6 Conference 14-0 and finishing the regular season 28-3.
Moline next plays in a Regional Semifinal game at Bradley-Bourbonnais against the 8th seeded team, Minooka High School (4-25), 8 days from today, which is next Wednesday the 22.

Last edited:
Does every school make the playoffs in IL?
Yes, in Illinois they do. Split into 4 groups by school enrollment...1A (small schools), 2A, 3A, 4A (Large Schools).
Moline is grouped into the 4A class (136 schools) along with conference foes East Moline United Twp. and Quincy. Other conference teams are class 3A Rock Island, Sterling, Galesburg, and Geneseo. Rock Island Alleman is 1A. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
In the early days there was only one class, then 2, now 4 . All but the worst teams start play on the 22nd and finish at the State Farm Center, University of Illinois's home court from Mar 9th to each class championship game ending on Mar. 11th. To win the championship in Illinois each class winner has to win 7 games in 18 day.

Last edited:
Based on what we have seen from our back up centers, I would be very disappointed if Freeman doesn't start. An experienced big from the transfer portal could change that.
Certainly hope he gets more than 2-3 minutes of playing time a month. Kind of hard to get any read on ability when your PT is limited to a few trips up and down the court.

I was wondering if Brock every played against Braden Smith from Purdue in the AAU circuit. Seems like they have similar size, quickness and games.

Thanks also for the game updates. Excited about our upcoming class.

I’m sure that’s the case.

JO must have practiced his ass off before the BIG Championship game last year and has done done nothing this year. Yep, that has to be it.
Unfortunately for josh o, who i like, he's never even put in the effort to get into shape which was something he said he needed to do 3 years ago. Hopefully he suddenly gets it after this season if he comes back.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I’m sure that’s the case.

JO must have practiced his ass off before the BIG Championship game last year and has done done nothing this year. Yep, that has to be it.

Maybe if every game involved lumbering 7'4" 300lbers coach would have a reason to play him more.

Unfortunately for josh o, who i like, he's never even put in the effort to get into shape which was something he said he needed to do 3 years ago. Hopefully he suddenly gets it after this season if he comes back.
Why did Fran allow him to come back from his portal experiment then?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT