ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Freshman RB Kamari Moulton Emerges in Loaded Backfield

Adam Jacobi

HB MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
IOWA CITY — For as vaunted as Iowa's tight end, linebacker and secondary rooms have become, one position group that national acclaim continues to elude is the Hawkeye backfield. Some of that is structural — Iowa's offensive line has struggled for years to clear running lanes for its ballcarriers with consistency — but some has also just been a backfield in search of its bell cow.

On the 2024 Hawkeyes, the leader emerging from the crowded backfield just might be a freshman — albeit a familiar face.

Iowa's Week 1 depth chart somewhat surprisingly placed redshirt freshman Kamari Moulton ahead of senior RB Leshon Williams (eight starts in 2023) and junior Kaleb Johnson (five starts in 2023).

"I figured that might get everybody's attention," Ferentz said wryly at his Tuesday press conference.

Reactions: Torg and nwhawkincr
People are running with his being first on the depth chart like it’s actual proof he’s our bonafide lead back but I think there’s a lot of liberty that gets taken in the first depth chart in a game against a cupcake.

I hope he actually is amazing and his ability forced this change but to be completely honest I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up as our decidedly third string back behind Johnson and Williams.

Reactions: Nagarunja
People are running with his being first on the depth chart like it’s actual proof he’s our bonafide lead back but I think there’s a lot of liberty that gets taken in the first depth chart in a game against a cupcake.

I hope he actually is amazing and his ability forced this change but to be completely honest I’d be surprised if he doesn’t end up as our decidedly third string back behind Johnson and Williams.
Totally agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT