ADVERTISEMENT

FSU "Chief Osceola" is the #1 Most Offensive College Mascot! Notre Dame's Leprechaun is #4!

It's hilarious how FSU fans are trying to provide cover for their mascot! Like... they almost agree that it's offensive, so they're trying to get people to pay attention to that lame-ass horse at basketball games! That horse is just fvcking confusing! What the hell does a horse have to do with a Seminole Indian??? A Seminole horse???

Yes, Appaloosa’s are considered a Native American breed of horse. They were originally bred by the Nez Perce tribe possibly from horses left behind by a long lost to history Chinese expedition. They spread throughout North American tribes as the Nez Perse were considered superior horse breeders.

Do they teach literally nothing in Iowa other than how to grow corn?

Yes, Appaloosa’s are considered a Native American breed of horse. They were originally bred by the Nez Perce tribe possibly from horses left behind by a long lost to history Chinese expedition. They spread throughout North American tribes as the Nez Perse were considered superior horse breeders.

They teach us the definition of what a mascot is. Something that seems lost on Tallahassee.

So once again white people offended. But the actual Seminole tribe of Florida isn't.
Yeah I was always of the understanding that FSU kind of went out of their way to make sure everything was cool with the tribe and the tribe has no issue with the college.

This is always a discussion at Thanksgiving as my father-in-law is a huge Washington Football Team fan.

Strummingram is from Iowa?

Why Florida State, Seminole Tribe stand behind the Seminoles nickname​

“Right now, we really have nothing new to report about our continued solid partnership with the Seminole Tribe of Florida…” said Elizabeth Hirst, FSU’s chief of staff and a liaison to the tribe.

“Florida State University’s official use of the Seminole name is different from other names in that it does not perpetuate offensive racial stereotypes nor is it meant to diminish or trivialize any Native American or indigenous peoples. Instead, it is used with explicit tribal permission and involvement to honor and promote the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s unconquered history and spirit that persists to this day.”

The tribe collaborates with the university and athletic department. It approved the regalia used by Osceola, the student who plants the flaming spear at midfield, and consulted with FSU on its redesigned uniforms in 2014; the markings on the football team’s sleeves show the tribe’s symbols for arrow, man on horse and fire.

In announcing a special task force on anti-racism and racial equality earlier this week, FSU president John Thrasher said he wanted to create “an educational outreach program about FSU’s history and relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida.”

e25fd607956c7a7ab10d555dea389ac8.gif

Does the university regard the Seminole name, or the team of Osceola and Renegade, as "mascots"?​

No. FSU does not have a mascot — we have a symbol that we respect and prize. The Seminole people have suffered many hardships and injustices, but they have remained brave, dignified and proud. They are the unconquered. These traits serve as an inspiration to all of our students, including our athletes, as well as our alumni, faculty and staff.

By calling themselves Seminoles, members of the FSU community are engaging in a tradition of tribute for a people whose indomitable spirit is one that is deserving of honor.
These exact same words were used by the U of North Dakota with their Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. They are the Fighting Hawks now after a lengthy battle with the NCAA.

Reactions: ping72

“Right now, we really have nothing new to report about our continued solid partnership with the Seminole Tribe of Florida…” said Elizabeth Hirst, FSU’s chief of staff and a liaison to the tribe.

“Florida State University’s official use of the Seminole name is different from other names in that it does not perpetuate offensive racial stereotypes nor is it meant to diminish or trivialize any Native American or indigenous peoples. Instead, it is used with explicit tribal permission and involvement to honor and promote the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s unconquered history and spirit that persists to this day.”

The tribe collaborates with the university and athletic department. It approved the regalia used by Osceola, the student who plants the flaming spear at midfield, and consulted with FSU on its redesigned uniforms in 2014; the markings on the football team’s sleeves show the tribe’s symbols for arrow, man on horse and fire.

In announcing a special task force on anti-racism and racial equality earlier this week, FSU president John Thrasher said he wanted to create “an educational outreach program about FSU’s history and relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida.”

I truly could not care less, but FSU is a national program. Just the Seminole tribe are not the only ones that could be offended. Also, their decision of lack of offense may be a monetary decision.

Also, of course he's a mascot. Duh. I get why you would try to argue otherwise, but you are arguing semantics. Again, it is a national program and I'd be willing to bet that if you asked the country if it was a mascot, the yes vote would be 90% or higher.

These exact same words were used by the U of North Dakota with their Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. They are the Fighting Hawks now after a lengthy battle with the NCAA.
Sounds like they did not have the Sioux siding with them like FSU had with the Seminole tribe. That has always been FSU’s ace. The Seminoles were proud to be a part of FSUs tradition from day one and are to this day. So when people come guns a blazing, they always get quickly pimp slapped when the Seminole Tribe of Florida is like “we love, partake and endorse the tradition and use of Seminole and use of Osceola so how about you guys shut the **** up”.

On a related note, the North Dakota one has always fascinated me, given the name of the State…

Hey guess what? You’re the incredibly racist one. Because Chief Osceola wasn’t “full blooded Seminole” because first of all because there wasn’t such a tribe as it was a mix of numerous Native tribes, some French and Spanish oppressed whites and runaway black slaves. And second, Chief Osceola’s father was 100% full blooded white and his mother was at least partially white as well as partially black making him more white than Native American.

Osceola was born Billy Powell Jr in honor of his father William Powell an English and Scottish trader. His mother was Polly Copinger who was half white and roughly a quarter Muscogee Creek “Indian” and less than a quarter black. Osceola’s maternal great grandfather was James McQueen a Scotsman of lesser nobility who married a Creek woman whose name is lost to history. Their “halfbreed” daughter Ann McQueen (Osceola’s maternal grandmother) married a man named simply Copinger which is an Irish surname. But he is known to have been a descendant of an escaped slave who mixed in with the Irish and was approximately a quarter black to go with his white ancestry. So Osceola was approximately 5/8ths white (possibly more), 1/4th Creek and 1/8th black (or less). So there is absolutely nothing wrong with a white student wearing warpaint in traditional dress representing Osceola as he was a mostly white guy who was only a quarter Native American. Frankly, I can speak knowledgeably on the subject as my maternal great grandmother was 100% Cherokee and thus I’m almost the same admixture as Osceola (no black in my background or Irish, just mainly Scots, English and Norman French/Danish with a distant Jewish many greats grandmother who escaped the fall of Jerusalem and married a Knight Hospitaler ancestor when they lived in Malta before returning to England, but we’re close enough.)

And it’s not like Osceola/Billy Powell Jr. was the only mostly white leader of the Seminoles. His uncle Peter McQueen led Muscogee Creeks in the Creek War in Alabama and then led the survivors down to Florida where the Muscogee Creeks mixed with Miccosukee Tribe also moved down from Alabama and the descendants of several lingering native Florida tribes as well as French, Spanish and Black “outlaws” to form the Seminole tribe.

So learn some history before you go off on your stupid poutrage about how “offensive” something is to people you know Jack %+^+ about. And before you go who cares about the Seminoles…the three wars against them were the largest wars of Nativ American genocide and the second one involved full use of a standing army of 30,000 American troops (3x the number of American troops and 1.5x the total allied troops at Yorktown and more than any Revolutionary War or War of 1812 battle. There wouldn’t be a bigger American army assembled than the one that fought the Seminoles in the Second Florida War until the Battle of Bull Run in the Civil War).

So yes, there is nothing wrong with full blooded whites, full blooded blacks, full blooded Native Americans or any mixture thereof “cosplaying” as Seminoles because that’s exactly who the Seminoles were and who they remain today.

Black_Seminole_reenactors_by_Andrew_Fostera69gd.jpg

bettymaejumper.jpg

0b8b7bd8772364817921c4a137897654--young-man-the-young.jpg
I'm not reading all that crap

I truly could not care less, but FSU is a national program. Just the Seminole tribe are not the only ones that could be offended. Also, their decision of lack of offense may be a monetary decision.

Also, of course he's a mascot. Duh. I get why you would try to argue otherwise, but you are arguing semantics. Again, it is a national program and I'd be willing to bet that if you asked the country if it was a mascot, the yes vote would be 90% or higher.
A monetary decision for whom? The Seminole Tribe of Florida has a net worth of $12 billion. They don't need anything from FSU.

Reactions: BelemNole

I've never been to Iowa.

That still doesn't explain why FSU is dodging the namesake of their mascot.

The Seminole Tribe of Florida are all that matter. Just because DooBi in Iowa and his buddy Shaun King are offended don’t mean diddly if the Seminole Tribe of Florida like it and always have liked it and fully endorse and partake in it.

The Seminole Tribe of Florida are all that matter. Just because DooBi in Iowa and his buddy Shaun King are offended don’t mean diddly if the Seminole Tribe of Florida like it and always have liked it and fully endorse and partake in it.
The Seminole Tribe of Florida doesn't just like it, they helped with design. Chief Osceola is considered a tribute, not a mascot.

In 1977, Florida State University alum Bill Durham introduced the idea of creating not just a mascot, but a tribute to the tribe the school chose as their nickname. And so Bobby Bowden’s wife, Ann, helped implement the idea.

Durham went to the Seminole Tribe of Florida tribal council and not only received their blessing on the idea, but their help in creating the regalia that Chief Osceola would wear while riding Renegade. Without the support of the tribe itself, this tradition, along with the university’s use of the Seminole name, would have ended long ago.

Last edited:
Yeah I was always of the understanding that FSU kind of went out of their way to make sure everything was cool with the tribe and the tribe has no issue with the college.

This is always a discussion at Thanksgiving as my father-in-law is a huge Washington Football Team fan.
Was he a Redskins fan, too?

It's hilarious how FSU fans are trying to provide cover for their mascot! Like... they almost agree that it's offensive, so they're trying to get people to pay attention to that lame-ass horse at basketball games! That horse is just fvcking confusing! What the hell does a horse have to do with a Seminole Indian??? A Seminole horse???
5kqwkg.jpg

Also, you're so overwhelmingly ignorant (and wrong) on this it's almost laughable. You seriously need to understand the difference in honoring a culture (Chief Osceola Tribute) vs dishonoring one (Redskins). If you can't see the difference, we can't help you. Educate your "woke" self.

It doesn't matter what the Seminoles think. It's the guilty white liberals who call the shots.

Chief Osceola was a real person. A student represents him in his honor.

But the problem with this is that he is represented by a single image. Was the chief never sitting around in jeans? Never cooking? Never playing volleyball? Never watching TV? Never reading?

If he came out each home game portraying a different aspect of a real, complex human being, fine. But it is always the same, stereotyping image of a warring chief.

Last edited:
5kqwkg.jpg

Also, you're so overwhelmingly ignorant (and wrong) on this it's almost laughable. You seriously need to understand the difference in honoring a culture (Chief Osceola Tribute) vs dishonoring one (Redskins). If you can't see the difference, we can't help you. Educate your "woke" self.
I'm not in need of any help. I understand that context matters. You're so eager to provide cover for your version of "acceptable" and judging another version, that you've missed the fact that I don't find either of them offensive. You're trying to convince the wrong person. You come off sounding like a hypocrite in the process.

Nole fans sure are touchy about their mascot.
You're not helping, TJ. LOL

Also, while I'm educating the the Hawkeyes, I'll throw this out there too:

The university established a scholarship program that pays the way for students from the reservations to attend Florida State. Many of them are the first in their families to attend college.

Seminole Indians go to FSU for free, so there's that too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT