ADVERTISEMENT

FSU "Chief Osceola" is the #1 Most Offensive College Mascot! Notre Dame's Leprechaun is #4!

I'm not in need of any help. I understand that context matters. You're so eager to provide cover for your version of "acceptable" and judging another version, that you've missed the fact that I don't find either of them offensive. You're trying to convince the wrong person. You come off sounding like a hypocrite in the process.
I'm sorry that you're wrong. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole
Time will tell.
As long as Tribe members go to college for free, I guarantee you the wall around Chief Osceola will be insurmountable.

giphy.gif

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don't care what is different between any of them. I don't have a problem with any mascot. Redskins, Warriors, Savages, Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, Injuns, Red Men, Orange Men, whatever. In the context of a sports mascot, I don't find ANY name to be offensive.

I know what they all have in common, and that is much more important. And, frankly, FSU does more to blatantly act-out the forbidden "cultural appropriation" shtick than any other North American tribal-associated team I've ever seen. A white guy dresses-up as a "Seminole" and rides out on a horse and throws a spear in the ground. The tomahawk chop and chant??? They could be the Blessed/Super-Cool/Awesome Seminoles and it wouldn't matter as long as they keep doing that caricature act with the horse and spear. Unless they get a full-blooded Seminole to come out there and do it- which they won't do- it looks bad tot he SJW's out there. The only thing that I can remember that was similar was; About 50 years ago, the KC Chiefs had a guy dress-up and ride a horse call War Paint and they had cheerleaders dressed up as "Squaws" and they all stood around a giant tom-tom and did the Indian drumbeat. I've only seen videos of it.

And, yes, Tar Heels will eventually go extinct because of its Civil War association, as will the Fighting Irish, and others. Although, I think the Fighting Irish have the best chance to stay because the Catholic Church is powerful. But, eventually it will affect their bottom line and they'll fall-in-line with the politically correct downward spiral of American culture. A lot of white people are in full-blown "shame mode" and it shows no signs of changing.
😂

Bunch of words typed just to avoid my question and be completely wrong.

LOL, I just read this part. 330 Million Americans and here's our sample size for the survey:

The study was conducted online with a total of 1,266 participants.

laughing-laughing-hysterically.gif

As long as Tribe members go to college for free, I guarantee you the wall around Chief Osceola will be insurmountable.

giphy.gif
I'm not the one who wants it to be replaced. You're so unhinged and desperate to prove that it's not offensive. It's not offending me, dumbass. It's offensive to people who are incapable of discerning context. And, they get what they want, eventually.

You're so unhinged and desperate to prove that it's not offensive.
I'm actually not...I'm actually laughing. You don't think us Noles have been down this road 1000x? I have a dadgum (miss ya Bobby!) bookmark folder titled Chief Osceola. I just copy/paste info from links in rapid-fire fashion. It's actually fun, not triggering at all.

It's not offending me, dumbass.
I'm aware...I (and others) are simply educating you on why you're wrong. Sure, they will try (and they have been for decades) and they will fail. That's all. Don't die on this hill, it's not worth it. Educate yourself.

The "woke" crowd will move on to their next target.

I'm a bett'n man on this one. What's the wager?
What's funny is; People like you are such hypocrites. You will fervently denounce Redskins, as if you're being some morally superior SJW. And, then, you're desperate to switch sides when it's your version of the same context.

You're a losing man, too.

What's funny is; People like you are such hypocrites. You will fervently denounce Redskins, as if you're being some morally superior SJW. And, then, you're desperate to switch sides when it's your version of the same context.

You're a losing man, too.
Like you, supposedly, I'm not offended by either, BUT I understand the difference. I'm sorry you don't. In your "it's not me, it's them" stance all you've done is expose yourself as actually being offended by FSU's tribute and support of the Seminole Tribe of Florida.

You're not helping, TJ. LOL

Also, while I'm educating the the Hawkeyes, I'll throw this out there too:

The university established a scholarship program that pays the way for students from the reservations to attend Florida State. Many of them are the first in their families to attend college.

Seminole Indians go to FSU for free, so there's that too.
The scholarships might have something to do with why the tribe is okay with an FSU student prancing around on the field in war paint.

As Max Osceola, a high-ranking member in the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s Tribal Council, said about the NCAA back then, “History repeats itself. Once again, non-Indians are telling Indians what’s good for them.”

Reactions: BelemNole
Like you, supposedly, I'm not offended by either, BUT I understand the difference. I'm sorry you don't. In your "it's not me, it's them" stance all you've done is expose yourself as actually being offended by FSU's tribute and support of the Seminole Tribe of Florida.
I'm not offended in the slightest. But, it's been great watching Noles fans try to explain and provide all the details as to why it's not offensive. As a Redskins fan, I promise you, it's not going to matter. Cleveland Guardians fans know what I mean.

Reactions: ping72
The scholarships might have something to do with why the tribe is okay with an FSU student prancing around on the field in war paint.
Nah. The seminoles have 12 billion dollars. They don't need a few scholarships.

Sounds like they did not have the Sioux siding with them like FSU had with the Seminole tribe. That has always been FSU’s ace. The Seminoles were proud to be a part of FSUs tradition from day one and are to this day. So when people come guns a blazing, they always get quickly pimp slapped when the Seminole Tribe of Florida is like “we love, partake and endorse the tradition and use of Seminole and use of Osceola so how about you guys shut the **** up”.

On a related note, the North Dakota one has always fascinated me, given the name of the State…
Actually, North Dakota had the full support of one of the Sioux tribes located near Grand Forks. They also did not have a mascot and their logo was designed by a Native American artist. There was another Sioux tribe that would not give the name their blessing but also would not let the tribe vote on the subject because they knew (polls showed) it would pass with overwhelming support. Tribal politics.

Didn't matter, NCAA said "no".

Reactions: ping72
God I can’t wait to put FSU in their place when we play in the alliance!!
Oh, come on Bruno, we're actually right on this one. It's not that big of a deal. I figured you'd be in support of defeating the over-sensitive woke crowd in a rare moment.

I'm not offended in the slightest. But, it's been great watching Noles fans try to explain and provide all the details as to why it's not offensive. As a Redskins fan, I promise you, it's not going to matter. Cleveland Guardians fans know what I mean.
Let's make it easier for you.

As long as FSU continues to donate substantial money and/or benefits (scholarships) (you can call it a bribe if you want to) to the Seminole tribe the Seminole name is safe. It won't matter what protests go on by white people being offended by the name and traditions that go along with it. I mean unless they want to outbid the University to convince the Leaders of the Seminole tribe to be offended and tell the University they no longer want them to use it.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Actually, North Dakota had the full support of one of the Sioux tribes located near Grand Forks. They also did not have a mascot and their logo was designed by a Native American artist. There was another Sioux tribe that would not give the name their blessing but also would not let the tribe vote on the subject because they knew (polls showed) it would pass with overwhelming support. Tribal politics.

It wasn't the NCAA. It was $$$

As the University of North Dakota (UND) fought to keep the name in the face of years of reprimands by the NCAA, one of the factors at play was former Fighting Sioux hockey player and wealthy alumnus Ralph Engelstad, who donated $100 million for the construction of a state of the art ice rink and hockey training facility on the condition that the school retain its mascot.

Sucks to be a poor school.

The Redskins logo was designed by a Blackfoot tribal elder. They eagerly submitted the image and endorsement of the team.

Didn't matter. Guilty white people refused to be persuaded.

As long as FSU continues to donate substantial money and/or benefits (scholarships) (you can call it a bribe if you want to) to the Seminole tribe the Seminole name is safe. It won't matter what protests go on by white people being offended by the name and traditions that go along with it. I mean unless they want to outbid the University to convince the Leaders of the Seminole tribe to be offended and tell the University they no longer want them to use it.
I don't care what kind of altruism you associate with it. This isn't about Seminoles being offended. I'll make it easier for you. This is about white people being offended.

You're not helping, TJ. LOL

Also, while I'm educating the the Hawkeyes, I'll throw this out there too:

The university established a scholarship program that pays the way for students from the reservations to attend Florida State. Many of them are the first in their families to attend college.

Seminole Indians go to FSU for free, so there's that too.
Yep, North Dakota did that too. Also has one of, if not the largest schools of Native American studies in the country and the UND Law School is the leading authority in Tribal Law in the country. NCAA said "no".

Every single point you bring out about the Seminole name can also be applied to the Fighting Sioux and North Dakota still lost their nickname. They've been suffering from an identity crisis for almost 10 years now and this battle over the Fighting Sioux has raged on for over 20 years now. Probably a good indication that they weren't just using NA imagery, they actually cared.

I'm guessing within 5 years the Seminoles will have a new name. It may even be less than 2 years. It depends on how soon the Braves and the Chiefs finally disappear.
There will always be the “next” one. Always.

it will come full circle. The Purdue Boilermaker will be determined to be “too white” yet if he was a cartoonish African American he would have been long gone.

Reactions: strummingram
I don’t care if it’s a respectful tribute with support from the tribe. I don’t care what the university says. I don’t care what the woke crowd says. I don’t care if it stays forever. I don’t care if it’s gone next year.

Either way...

It.Is.A.Mascot.

This is about white people being offended.
Yes I know and in this case it won't matter. There are enough white people from both sides of the political aisle that support and are associated with FSU using the Seminoles along with the Seminole Tribe itself to keep the SJWs from winning. They don't win all the time. They will take the L on this matter.

A monetary decision for whom? The Seminole Tribe of Florida has a net worth of $12 billion. They don't need anything from FSU.

Hmmmm.

Does the university regard the Seminole name, or the team of Osceola and Renegade, as "mascots"?​

No. FSU does not have a mascot — we have a symbol that we respect and prize. The Seminole people have suffered many hardships and injustices, but they have remained brave, dignified and proud. They are the unconquered. These traits serve as an inspiration to all of our students, including our athletes, as well as our alumni, faculty and staff.

By calling themselves Seminoles, members of the FSU community are engaging in a tradition of tribute for a people whose indomitable spirit is one that is deserving of honor.

Not a strong point of argument.

Go ask Amazon if they treat their workers fairly. Do you accept that response?

Yes I know and in this case it won't matter. There are enough white people from both sides of the political aisle that support and are associated with FSU using the Seminoles along with the Seminole Tribe itself to keep the SJWs from winning. They don't win all the time. They will take the L on this matter.
I'm just trying to prepare you for the inevitable. It's natural to resist. But, it's coming. It's a shame, but it's coming.

• Haha
Reactions: West Duval Nole
I truly could not care less, but FSU is a national program. Just the Seminole tribe are not the only ones that could be offended. Also, their decision of lack of offense may be a monetary decision.

Also, of course he's a mascot. Duh. I get why you would try to argue otherwise, but you are arguing semantics. Again, it is a national program and I'd be willing to bet that if you asked the country if it was a mascot, the yes vote would be 90% or higher.

Whatever the reason, I'm happy about the Seminole Tribe's lack of offense. However, I'm very concerned about the team's potential lack of offense.

Yep, North Dakota did that too. Also has one of, if not the largest schools of Native American studies in the country and the UND Law School is the leading authority in Tribal Law in the country. NCAA said "no".

Every single point you bring out about the Seminole name can also be applied to the Fighting Sioux and North Dakota still lost their nickname. They've been suffering from an identity crisis for almost 10 years now and this battle over the Fighting Sioux has raged on for over 20 years now. Probably a good indication that they weren't just using NA imagery, they actually cared.
All the more reason I want FSU to keep on winning...so tired of this, "I'm offended about everything" culture.

Oh, come on Bruno, we're actually right on this one. It's not that big of a deal. I figured you'd be in support of defeating the over-sensitive woke crowd in a rare moment.
I really don’t care but with this alliance I have to work up animosity towards FSU somehow. In this instance I will side with the woke!!! #GoHawks

But the problem with this is that he is represented by a single image. Was the chief never sitting around in jeans? Never cooking? Never playing volleyball? Never watching TV? Never reading?

If he cone out each home game portraying a different aspect of a real, complex human being, fine. But it is always the same, stereotyping image of a warring chief.
Well, that’s pretty much what he did.

I'm not reading all that crap

Let me type slower for you.

The real Osceola was 3/4s white. So having a white person represent him is far more accurate than having a “100%” Native American.

Did that help with your comprehension, I typed it REALLY slowly this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT