ADVERTISEMENT

FSU "Chief Osceola" is the #1 Most Offensive College Mascot! Notre Dame's Leprechaun is #4!

Lol at Belem desperately trying to dig out of his hole.

Let’s try this - give me an example of me blaming anything that’s happening now on anyone named Clinton. It could be their first, middle, or last name. Or even a nickname. Bill. Hillary. Chelsea. George. Clinton Portis.

I’ll even accept variations of the name Clinton. Delbert McClinton. Clint Eastwood. Or even a name that rhymes with Clinton, like Wynton Marsalis.

I’ll accept anyone who lives or has lived in any city, town, village, county, or parish named Clinton. Clinton, Iowa. Clinton, Illinois. Clinton, Australia, just to name a few.

I’ll accept anyone who has ever owned, driven, or been a passenger in a Clinton automobile. Or any US Naval personnel who served on the USS Clinton in World War II. Or literally anyone even tangentially related to the bame or word ‘Clinton’.

I don’t even ask for a link, just an example off the top of your head. Just give me something - anything - that shows you’re not a worthless goddamn liar.
Thank you for this. I literally laughed out loud at my desk.

Thank you for this. I literally laughed out loud at my desk.

DentalSoulfulIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: The Tradition
JFC, 5 fvcking pages? LOL. I made it halfway through page 1. Are the noles still trying to convince themselves that Osceola isn’t a mascot or nah?

I'm not getting into the debate, and a page and a half of reading was enough for me, but there are two points I want to make:
  1. Even back in the late 1990s, I was a little uncomfortable that the student who portrayed Osceola was a white frat guy (as was I) made up in redface and warpaint.
  2. Has anyone mentioned that this "survey" is a blog post from some unknown promo products company in Illinois?

Osceola was born Billy Powell Jr and was 3/4s white, 1/4 Muscogee Creek and a tiny portion black. So white is alright.

He’s a real person who has been adopted by a group as a symbolic figure to bring good luck.

The very definition of the word ‘mascot’.

Nope.

The clothing was designed by actual Seminole Indians. They support what FSU is doing. Chief Osceola is not intended to bring good luck to a sports team, but to honor the unconquered tribe. The entire brand is intended to honor them.
Sheeeeeit. I’m not reading 5 pages on this, but I will say that, even though I WISH it wasn’t true since my beloved Chicago Blackhawks have a VERY similar connection and message with their mascot, TJ is right and it is still a mascot.
Wikipedia is written by anybody. You know that, right?

FSU does not have a "mascot." You'll never see Chief Osceola on the ESPN Mascot Challenge show.
Yeah, because he’s potentially way too offensive a mascot. And I don’t subscribe to the idea that it can’t be both a well-intentioned tribute as an homage done by good people, while at the same time being problematic for American Indians.

If FSU fans wanna keep the word "Seminoles", they may have to sacrifice the guy dressed-up as an Indian with a spear, riding a horse onto the field, and throwing it into the ground.

If FSU fans wanna keep the word "Seminoles", they may have to sacrifice the guy dressed-up as an Indian with a spear, riding a horse onto the field, and throwing it into the ground.

First of all, Indian is an offensive word. And second of all, I’ve already mentioned it multiple times but Osceola is 3/4s white so it isn’t someone “dressed up as an Indian” but a white member of the newly created Seminole tribe that was made up of whites, mixed race, blacks, and native Americans. Essentially anyone who had appropriate cause to fear the American troops banded together in Florida.

Nor was Osceola the only white or mostly white leader of the Seminoles. One of the principal leaders during the First Seminole War was his cousin Peter McQueen who was also 3/4’s Scottish and 1/4 Muscogee Creek. William McIntosh also known as Tustunnuggee Hutke (White Warrior) who was half Scots and half Creek; William Weatherford also known as Hopnicafutsahia (Truth Teller) was 1/2 Scots, 1/4 French and 1/4 Creek and was great grandson of a famous French general; and Alexander McGillvray was 1/2 Scots and 1/2 Creek. Juan Caballos or John Horse was a famous Seminole leader as well and he was half black and half Creek. There’s a ton more of indeterminate mixed race ethnicity.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
First of all, Indian is an offensive word. And second of all, I’ve already mentioned it multiple times but Osceola is 3/4s white so it isn’t someone “dressed up as an Indian” but a white member of the newly created Seminole tribe that was made up of whites, mixed race, blacks, and native Americans. Essentially anyone who had appropriate cause to fear the American troops banded together in Florida.

Nor was Osceola the only white or mostly white leader of the Seminoles. One of the principal leaders during the First Seminole War was his cousin Peter McQueen who was also 3/4’s Scottish and 1/4 Muscogee Creek. William McIntosh also known as Tustunnuggee Hutke (White Warrior) who was half Scots and half Creek; William Weatherford also known as Hopnicafutsahia (Truth Teller) was 1/2 Scots, 1/4 French and 1/4 Creek and was great grandson of a famous French general; and Alexander McGillvray was 1/2 Scots and 1/2 Creek. Juan Caballos or John Horse was a famous Seminole leader as well and he was half black and half Creek. There’s a ton more of indeterminate mixed race ethnicity.
Indian is offensive??? Lol

Sitting Indian style apparently was that they changed it to calling it criss cross applesauce. I thought that was silly, but apparently it was driven by some people being offended.
Sheezus... it's a travesty what the PC disgrace has done to the language.

JFC, 5 fvcking pages? LOL. I made it halfway through page 1.
I was surprised it was 5 pages too, but there's a lot of in-fighting spread throughout.

Are the noles still trying to convince themselves that Osceola isn’t a mascot or nah?

I conceded that it's a mascot which pays tribute to the Seminole Tribe of Florida and, as many others have stated, we're not changing it anytime soon--forced or voluntarily.

Indian is offensive??? Lol
To my knowledge Indian isn't offensive, it's confusing due to Indians also being from India. Injun, RedSkins, etc. would be offensive. Indian and Native American seem perfectly fine.

Not to get too far OT, but it's interesting to see the Native American perspective on the show Yellowstone.

To my knowledge Indian isn't offensive, it's confusing due to Indians also being from India. Injun, RedSkins, etc. would be offensive. Indian and Native American seem perfectly fine.

Not to get too far OT, but it's interesting to see the Native American perspective on the show Yellowstone.
I know a few Redskins who hate the term Native "American."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT