ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the B1G

B1G has 9 women's field hockey programs. It's actually a fun sport to watch fwiw.

From a distance, agree, its fun but I haven't really sat down. I don't know that FSU wants to make mens soccer an official sports, thats me. But I bet there is zero interest in FSU adding hockey or wrestling. Heck, Tallahassee had a hockey team and it didn't last long. Anyone else remember the Tiger Sharks?

I hate tagging folks because I always forget someone.

I'd absolutely love FSU to the B1G. Beyond personal reasons they definitely elevate football in the SEC v B1G battle and the rest of their sports programs are solid.
I won't take offense to you missing your neighbor.

I know a lot of people who are hoping for the SEC because of the proximity of the schools making travel easier to away games. I'm not in that group.

@noleclone2 @TC Nole OX @goldmom @The Tradition

I know I forgot a few folks.

I really, really want FSU in the big for totally personal/selfish reasons. B1G games an hr away.

Do you think FSU leadership wants to get into the B1G and how high are the chances in your estimation?

I simply don't follow it close enough but this whole thing is closer to home for you guys.

Thanks!
Everything I have heard is FSU wants B1G and the feeling is mutual. I think chances are high based on board meeting last summer and lawsuit. We have to be clearly on our way out before an offer can be clearly negotiated and finalized but the offer is there. And that was made before we made a playoff run and put up huge ratings.

Now there was / is always speculation that SEC would eventually come calling potentially to stop the B1G from getting a real solid athletic school with great numbers in their backyard and FSU may have had an opportunity to use that to their advantage possibly. However, the snub last December changed all of that for every single person involved with FSU. After that BS that happened with SEC and ESPN orchestrating Bama and Texas into playoffs, nobody in FSU admin nor fandom wants a part of SEC now and all have a pure hatred of ESPN and do not want to be in their exclusive programming club. We want BIG and more revenue for Fox generated by our athletics. Only way we end up in SEC is if B1G offer falls apart. We would go for even a little less if need be. We. ****ing. Hate. ESECPN.

From a distance, agree, its fun but I haven't really sat down. I don't know that FSU wants to make mens soccer an official sports, thats me. But I bet there is zero interest in FSU adding hockey or wrestling. Heck, Tallahassee had a hockey team and it didn't last long. Anyone else remember the Tiger Sharks?

Yes, I went to a couple of Tiger Sharks games as well as the Tallahassee Thunder back when we had an arena football league. The Tiger Sharks were unskilled and lost a lot but they were “scrappy” and got into a fight at least twice a game so they were fun to watch.

FSU is going to spend a half billion dollars to make a lateral move?

Not even a lateral move, other than money everything else is better in the ACC as it sits than the Big 12 as it sits. The academics, geographic fit, historical rivalries and other sports (except basketball recently where I’d say it’s a tie but not historically) are all significantly better in the ACC. And the Big 12 is not making significantly more money on football for any reason other than the ACC is locked into a stupidly dumb contract.

If we for some reason didn’t get an official BIG or SEC offer (which I strongly doubt) then I would much prefer a contracted ACC to a current Big 12. Just kick out Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse, SMU, Stanford and California and add back Memphis. Then when the revitalized ACC is in a stronger place (we have more “national brands” with FSU, Clemson, UNC and a hopefully reinvigorated Virginia Tech and Miami which COULD be “national brands” again) we can possibly merge with the best parts of the Big 12 to become a decent super conference.

Honestly, I’d steal part of Yormark’s idea of emphasizing basketball in the longterm by creating a giant joint league for basketball and two football leagues that play each other periodically as nonconference but otherwise are separate for money and create an A league with the football powers that markets itself as a Power Three conference and a B league which is content to play as a Group of Five league. Then we could even add Syracuse and Boston College plus UConn and Gonzaga back into the B league.

So that’s what I would do as the league’s grand high poobah. Step 1: Dump the moochers and bring on one other good program with big $$$ backing in Memphis. Step 2: Renegotiate contract so we are making fair market value well over the current Big 12. Step 3: Take best of the Big 12. Step 4: Eventually make a basketball centric B league and possibly relegate some from the A league (like Duke and Virginia if they don’t improve football) to the B league.

Last edited:
Not even a lateral move, other than money everything else is better in the ACC as it sits than the Big 12 as it sits. The academics, geographic fit, historical rivalries and other sports (except basketball recently where I’d say it’s a tie but not historically) are all significantly better in the ACC. And the Big 12 is not making significantly more money on football for any reason other than the ACC is locked into a stupidly dumb contract.

If we for some reason didn’t get an official BIG or SEC offer (which I strongly doubt) then I would much prefer a contracted ACC to a current Big 12. Just kick out Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse, SMU, Stanford and California and add back Memphis. Then when the revitalized ACC is in a stronger place (we have more “national brands” with FSU, Clemson, UNC and a hopefully reinvigorated Virginia Tech and Miami which COULD be “national brands” again) we can possibly merge with the best parts of the Big 12 to become a decent super conference.

Honestly, I’d steal part of Yormark’s idea of emphasizing basketball in the longterm by creating a giant joint league for basketball and two football leagues that play each other periodically as nonconference but otherwise are separate for money and great an A league with the football powers that markets itself as a Power Three conference and a B league which is content to play as a Group of Five league. Then we could even add Syracuse and Boston College plus UConn and Gonzaga back into the B league.

So that’s what I would do as the league’s grand high poobah. Step 1: Dump the moochers and bring on one other good program with big $$$ backing in Memphis. Step 2: Renegotiate contract so we are making fair market value well over the current Big 12. Step 3: Take best of the Big 12. Step 4: Eventually make a basketball centric B league and possibly relegate some from the A league (like Duke and Virginia if they don’t improve football) to the B league.
Not to mention the ACC has ND in every sport but football...that, of course, needs to change. I always said, fix the $$ issues and bring in ND and the ACC would be fine. Currently, though, it SUCKS and I want out.

Honestly, I’d steal part of Yormark’s idea of emphasizing basketball in the longterm by creating a giant joint league for basketball and two football leagues that play each other periodically as nonconference but otherwise are

Im with you, on a number of the steps. But a relegation within conference is a VERY interesting idea. Biased by football (primary) and basketball results but moving to a basketball group and a football centric grouping makes sense and tie $ to which group you are in.

Im all for a relegation / dropping schools that just don't meet the conference's goals.

I still think the ACC was stupid in getting SMU and Cal. I don't hate adding Stanford if they have gobbled up some better West coast options (Ore State, Utah, AZ)

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Im with you, on a number of the steps. But a relegation within conference is a VERY interesting idea. Biased by football (primary) and basketball results but moving to a basketball group and a football centric grouping makes sense and tie $ to which group you are in.

Im all for a relegation / dropping schools that just don't meet the conference's goals.

I still think the ACC was stupid in getting SMU and Cal. I don't hate adding Stanford if they have gobbled up some better West coast options (Ore State, Utah, AZ)
Stanford was a great grab, but SMU and Cal? WTH!?

Reactions: funksouljon
FSU is going to spend a half billion dollars to make a lateral move?
I honestly have no idea. I wasn’t trying to stir the pot either. I just got that article sent to me from an ISU buddy and figured you guys would have the scoop.

Yes, I went to a couple of Tiger Sharks games as well as the Tallahassee Thunder back when we had an arena football league. The Tiger Sharks were unskilled and lost a lot but they were “scrappy” and got into a fight at least twice a game so they were fun to watch.
I went to my share of Tiger Sharks games when I was in college. I don't remember if they won or lost, but I do remember beer.

Honestly, I’d steal part of Yormark’s idea of emphasizing basketball in the longterm by creating a giant joint league for basketball and two football leagues that play each other periodically as nonconference but otherwise are separate for money and great an A league with the football powers that markets itself as a Power Three conference and a B league which is content to play as a Group of Five league. Then we could even add Syracuse and Boston College plus UConn and Gonzaga back into the B league.

So my reconstituted ACC would originally look like this:
Florida State, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, NC State, Duke, UVA, Louisville, Pitt and Memphis.

Then my next step would be to steal some Big 12 teams specifically Oklahoma State, Utah, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, West Virginia, Arizona and Colorado plus bring in San Diego State. I would also consider bringing in Kansas, Houston, SMU, BYU, Stanford and/or Tulane depending on the assessments from the networks as to their relative value.

Florida State, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, NC State, Duke, UVA, Louisville, Pitt and Memphis.

Then my next step would be to steal some Big 12 teams specifically Oklahoma State, Utah, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, West Virginia, Arizona and Colorado plus bring in San Diego State. I would also consider bringing in Kansas, Houston, SMU, BYU, Stanford and/or Tulane depending on the assessments from the networks as to their relative value.

To that above A league, I would add a B league that gets substantially less football money but gets equal basketball money consisting of: Any of the above I mentioned that got left out plus bring back Syracuse, Boston College, and Wake Forest plus add UConn, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, Villanova, Temple, Baylor, Georgetown, Boise State, Houston, Iowa State, James Madison, Providence, St Joseph’s, UMass, Washington State, Oregon State, UNLV, Marquette, Butler, Dayton, UCF and Seton Hall.

So in my hypothetical, I would have the 22 team A league (leaving room for Notre Dame and a partner) consisting of:

FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, UVA, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Memphis, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Utah, Colorado, Texas Tech, BYU, Texas Christian, Arizona, West Virginia, Kansas, and San Diego State.

The 22 team B League football conference would be used to fill holes in the schedule of the tougher A League. It would be:

UCF, Cincinnati, Boise State, Baylor, Arizona State, Houston, SMU, Kansas State, Tulane, Stanford, Washington State, Oregon State, UConn, UMass, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Boston College, Coastal Carolina, Iowa State, UNLV, Appalachian State and James Madison.

Then I would add the following basketball only schools of Gonzaga, Villanova, Temple, Georgetown, Providence, St Joseph’s, Marquette, Butler, Dayton, St Mary’s, Xavier, and Seton Hall.

For Basketball I would probably break it into two similar A and B leagues with some teams left out of the basketball contract. I would have a 26 team A basketball league of:

Gonzaga, Villanova, Temple, Georgetown, UConn, UMass, Syracuse, FSU, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Houston, UVA, Louisville, Memphis, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State, Utah, Arizona, West Virginia, UNLV, Cincinnati and Kansas.

And a 24 team B basketball league of

Butler, Boise State, Baylor, Arizona State, SMU, St Mary’s, Seton Hall, Tulane, Stanford, Washington State, Oregon State, Wake Forest, Colorado, Boston College, Providence, Marquette, Dayton, Iowa State, TCU, BYU, Virginia Tech, San Diego State, Xavier and Texas Tech.

So I would have football only schools of Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State, James Madison, and UCF.

Then I would market each of the four leagues separately and pay the schools their appropriate amount based on league and tv viewership probably splitting the money half or two thirds equally in their respective league and the remainder based on tv numbers. With this split up I could easily see Football A being at about 2/3s of the SEC or BIG but with an unequal split getting schools like FSU and Clemson on par or maybe even better. And Basketball A would clearly be the best and highest paid for basketball, those blue blood teams and cities would generate tons of money. Meanwhile Football B would still likely be at the highest $$ for the “Group of 5” leagues and Basketball B is still a pretty awesome basketball conference, maybe even still better than the BIG and SEC.

Not sure what you are thinking here. The ACC is not worth anything. They will never ever be considered part of the P2.

Not sure what you are thinking here. The ACC is not worth anything. They will never ever be considered part of the P2.

I’m thinking teams in the current ACC have ten football championships out of the last 40 and 13 out of the last 50. And that those in the Big Ten with USC, Penn State, Washington and especially Nebraska helping out (all outside of the current) they have 9 of the last 40 and 12 of the last 50. And if you count titles actually won by teams in the Big Ten it’s only 3 out of the last 50. Obviously no one is catching the SEC as it’s currently composed when you count all the old Oklahoma and Texas titles.

Reactions: noleclone2
To that above A league, I would add a B league that gets substantially less football money but gets equal basketball money consisting of: Any of the above I mentioned that got left out plus bring back Syracuse, Boston College, and Wake Forest plus add UConn, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, Villanova, Temple, Baylor, Georgetown, Boise State, Houston, Iowa State, James Madison, Providence, St Joseph’s, UMass, Washington State, Oregon State, UNLV, Marquette, Butler, Dayton, UCF and Seton Hall.

So in my hypothetical, I would have the 22 team A league (leaving room for Notre Dame and a partner) consisting of:

FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, UVA, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Memphis, Pitt, Oklahoma State, Utah, Colorado, Texas Tech, BYU, Texas Christian, Arizona, West Virginia, Kansas, and San Diego State.

The 22 team B League football conference would be used to fill holes in the schedule of the tougher A League. It would be:

UCF, Cincinnati, Boise State, Baylor, Arizona State, Houston, SMU, Kansas State, Tulane, Stanford, Washington State, Oregon State, UConn, UMass, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Boston College, Coastal Carolina, Iowa State, UNLV, Appalachian State and James Madison.

Then I would add the following basketball only schools of Gonzaga, Villanova, Temple, Georgetown, Providence, St Joseph’s, Marquette, Butler, Dayton, St Mary’s, Xavier, and Seton Hall.

For Basketball I would probably break it into two similar A and B leagues with some teams left out of the basketball contract. I would have a 26 team A basketball league of:

Gonzaga, Villanova, Temple, Georgetown, UConn, UMass, Syracuse, FSU, Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Houston, UVA, Louisville, Memphis, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State, Utah, Arizona, West Virginia, UNLV, Cincinnati and Kansas.

And a 24 team B basketball league of

Butler, Boise State, Baylor, Arizona State, SMU, St Mary’s, Seton Hall, Tulane, Stanford, Washington State, Oregon State, Wake Forest, Colorado, Boston College, Providence, Marquette, Dayton, Iowa State, TCU, BYU, Virginia Tech, San Diego State, Xavier and Texas Tech.

So I would have football only schools of Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State, James Madison, and UCF.

Then I would market each of the four leagues separately and pay the schools their appropriate amount based on league and tv viewership probably splitting the money half or two thirds equally in their respective league and the remainder based on tv numbers. With this split up I could easily see Football A being at about 2/3s of the SEC or BIG but with an unequal split getting schools like FSU and Clemson on par or maybe even better. And Basketball A would clearly be the best and highest paid for basketball, those blue blood teams and cities would generate tons of money. Meanwhile Football B would still likely be at the highest $$ for the “Group of 5” leagues and Basketball B is still a pretty awesome basketball conference, maybe even still better than the BIG and SEC.
If the money matched or surpassed that of the $EC and/or the B1G, I could tolerate a BIG XII that looked like this:

Division A:​

1. Florida State (FSU)
  2. Clemson
  3. Miami
  4. Georgia Tech
  5. North Carolina
  6. NC State
  7. Duke
  8. Virginia (UVA)
  9. Virginia Tech
  10. Louisville
  11. Pitt

Division B:​

1. Notre Dame
  2. Memphis
  3. Oklahoma State
  4. Utah
  5. Colorado
  6. Texas Tech
  7. Baylor
  8. Texas Christian (TCU)
  9. Arizona
  10. West Virginia
  11. Kansas
Problem is there aren't many Blue Bloods, so the perception would still be that it's weaker.

Last edited:
I think the smoke has cleared.

Bored Will And Grace GIF by Cameo

Told ya

That is exactly what is happening. If the B1G was interested in Florida State, it wouldn't need a decision on the 2023 playoff invitations to make it happen. But, here we are. Florida State wants to use the B1G as a conduit to a playoff invite in the future

Florida State has no leverage right now unless it can somehow demonstrate that it is a net positive for the B1G.
I’d be careful about what you wish for because I see a handful of independents coming out of this and growing, starting with Florida state, Notre dame, and Miami

Everything I have heard is FSU wants B1G and the feeling is mutual. I think chances are high based on board meeting last summer and lawsuit. We have to be clearly on our way out before an offer can be clearly negotiated and finalized but the offer is there. And that was made before we made a playoff run and put up huge ratings.

Now there was / is always speculation that SEC would eventually come calling potentially to stop the B1G from getting a real solid athletic school with great numbers in their backyard and FSU may have had an opportunity to use that to their advantage possibly. However, the snub last December changed all of that for every single person involved with FSU. After that BS that happened with SEC and ESPN orchestrating Bama and Texas into playoffs, nobody in FSU admin nor fandom wants a part of SEC now and all have a pure hatred of ESPN and do not want to be in their exclusive programming club. We want BIG and more revenue for Fox generated by our athletics. Only way we end up in SEC is if B1G offer falls apart. We would go for even a little less if need be. We. ****ing. Hate. ESECPN.

MOTHER. FVCKING. FACTS

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT