ADVERTISEMENT

FSU to the BIG in next 30 days?

I don’t think the Big Ten blue bloods want to be associated with that racist iconography.

(And yes, it’s racist even if the Seminole nation likes it.)
Actually, I find it absolutely hilarious that you would speak for an indigenous people as if you actually represent them. You do know that the Seminole Nation has given their blessing to the iconography of which you speak?

But why don’t they have the warrior one week, a banker the next, then a teacher? Aren’t those all Seminoles?
If the Seminoles are OK with it, you have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to be critical. It does NOT affect you!!!
Get off your self-righteous rant.
What is pathetic, is you don't even understand what bigoted statements you are making. What you are doing is saying the Seminoles are wrong and they should change to support your views. The Seminole nation supports FSU and are partners with them. By attacking FSU you are also attacking native Americans.
As someone who is part Osage I find your statements offensive!

Reactions: Legs94
Actually, I find it absolutely hilarious that you would speak for an indigenous people as if you actually represent them. You do know that the Seminole Nation has given their blessing to the iconography of which you speak?
Yes. And they were wrong to do so. It legitimized stereotyping.

I started out to protect all people from stereotyping, not just Seminoles.

Nonetheless, how have I become cynical of the Seminoles?
You have offended every Native American in the country. You do NOT represent any tribe. Yet, are telling the Seminoles they are wrong. You are a bigot!

The Seminole Tribe doesn't receive a penny from FSU for their relationship.
True, not directly: But: Tampa Bay News: “While the Seminole Tribe of Florida gets no financial compensation for the university's use of the Seminole name and related symbols, the richness of the relationship brings a variety of social and economic benefits to our tribe”.

…and economic. Wish I could bold.

You have offended every Native American in the country. You do NOT represent any tribe. Yet, are telling the Seminoles they are wrong. You are a bigot!
Telling someone they are wrong makes me a bigot?

True, not directly: But: Tampa Bay News: “While the Seminole Tribe of Florida gets no financial compensation for the university's use of the Seminole name and related symbols, the richness of the relationship brings a variety of social and economic benefits to our tribe”.

My lord, you idiot. That refutes your own stupid argument.

Reactions: PIEPI

Are they receiving money from FSU? Edit: That is what you previously stated. I still feel embarrassed for you.

Reactions: PIEPI
I started out to protect all people from stereotyping, not just Seminoles.

Nonetheless, how have I become cynical of the Seminoles?
I don't know, maybe this exchange.

Are you saying that the Seminole Tribe doesn't know how to accurately portray the Seminole Tribe?
They may know how, but they clearly didn’t choose that way, I imagine for the money.

Carry on with this discussion; I've nothing more to add. At this point, you have become the Black Knight on this one.

Are they receiving money from FSU? Edit: That is what you previously stated. I still feel embarrassed for you.
No. I didn’t say they were receiving money “from FSU”. I said they agreed to things “probably for the money”, i.e. “economic benefits” per the tribe’s spokesperson in the Tampa Bay News clip I posted.

Matter of time before the Chiefs change their name and stop that stupid tomahawk chop also.
Lol…what a silly thing to worry about…just leave the Chiefs alone. I think many, many people want the return of the Washington Redskins. In any event, football fans still think of that organization as the Redskins. Why don’t we just get rid of the Minnesota Vikings name /logo as that offends people of Scandinavian descent.

I don't know, maybe this exchange.

They may know how, but they clearly didn’t choose that way, I imagine for the money.

Carry on with this discussion; I've nothing more to add. At this point, you have become the Black Knight on this one.
Thanks. I do think they agreed to things “for the money”.

No. I didn’t say they were receiving money “from FSU”. I said they agreed to things “probably for the money”, i.e. “economic benefits” per the tribe’s spokesperson in the Tampa Bay News clip I posted.
Thank you for clarifying. You are saying the Seminole Tribe sold out their history to FSU for mascots and chants. All because of money.

Am I not sure if anyone knows what your point is anymore?
Well, the post calling me a bigot spun off a side point, with me challenging the idea that criticizing a person or group makes one a bigot against that group. It does not.

But my central point here remains: Any stereotyping of a group of people (e.g. Seminoles) into a single pervasive image (e.g. Chief Osceola on a horse) is wrong and dangerous.

Well, the post calling me a bigot spun off a side point, with me challenging the idea that criticizing a person or group makes one a bigot against that group. It does not.

But my central point here remains: Any stereotyping of a group of people (e.g. Seminoles) into a single pervasive image (e.g. Chief Osceola on a horse) is wrong and dangerous.
Even if the group you believe is being stereotyped doesn't agree? Also, that has helped create the images/traditions that you believe contribute to this stereotype?

Thank you for clarifying. You are saying the Seminole Tribe sold out their history to FSU for mascots and chants. All because of money.
That’s a little wider than I would say. But I think they damaged their future (and those of their tribe members) by accepting the stereotyping in exchange for “economic benefits”.

Yes, it is harmful. It’s a single image portrayal of a whole set of complex people. This dehumanizes Seminole people.
Bitch Please Seriously GIF by reactionseditor

Not sure if you’re serious

You see, the funny thing is…the two ‘parties’ involved disagree. The ACTUAL tribe doesn’t have that opinion, but YOU do? Come on, Mark from Jersey……

Don’t you think you’re trying too hard to be upset?

I saw somewhere else claim that FSU especially, but the whole ACC may have a claim against ESPN in that they are operating their media contract in bad faith. ESPN actively campaigned against an undefeated FSU to keep them out of the playoffs. It’d be interesting to be a contract lawyer on behalf of FSU digging through a way to get out of the deal.
I am sure the emails and text messages between the playoff committee and ESPN executives will prove this conspiracy.

FSU has a lot riding on their bowl game. If Georgia picks the shit out of them I am sure some will say “ well yeah, we didn’t have our QB “

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT