ADVERTISEMENT

Funerals for dignitaries?

runkpanole

HR Legend
Nov 17, 2002
Do you watch them? I find myself glued to them. It really doesn’t matter who. I watched McCain’s, both Ronald and Nancy Reagan’s, remembering watching Nixon’s. I watched some of Ford’s, but I didn’t watch the whole thing. Now, I’m sitting and watching Rosalynn Carter’s.

Some are absolutely compelling, like the moment dole paid his respects to 41. Reagan's was (and the procession of the riderless horse down constitution was worth my early departure from work to see), if for no other reason than nancy checked the 'yes' box next to every possible honor that can be accorded to a deceased president. I loved the bit of ford's with the boy scouts.

I hope that when his time comes, president carter's funeral incorporates some of the honors he earned by being president. he ultimately wasn't that good a president over the course of his term, but he was the president we needed when he was elected. And his standing in with Dizzy Gillespie and Max Roach to sing "Salt Peanuts" was one for the ages.

But I have a hard time getting excited about a first lady's funeral.

Reactions: runkpanole
Some are absolutely compelling, like the moment dole paid his respects to 41. Reagan's was (and the procession of the riderless horse down constitution was worth my early departure from work to see), if for no other reason than nancy checked the 'yes' box next to every possible honor that can be accorded to a deceased president. I loved the bit of ford's with the boy scouts.

I hope that when his time comes, president carter's funeral incorporates some of the honors he earned by being president. he ultimately wasn't that good a president over the course of his term, but he was the president we needed when he was elected. And his standing in with Dizzy Gillespie and Max Roach to sing "Salt Peanuts" was one for the ages.

But I have a hard time getting excited about a first lady's funeral.
Excited isn’t the word I’d use. Fascination and reverence is more what I was thinking.

thumbs-down-you.gif

I don’t feel inclined to watch them.

However, I do occasionally watch Billy Crystal’s speech at Ali’s memorial. I find it very moving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT