ADVERTISEMENT

Gabble Steveson to Iowa?

Ahh, the typical “Iowa has a big offer for a recruit/transfer” tweet from a wrestling account so that other schools know to up their offer before he commits.

Followed by the typical "Iowa offered exactly $x amount. The wrestler turned it down to go to y other school for less money though, that's how bad Iowa is. But we don't know how much money y school offered them".

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkgma
1.) You heard this from whom? When you say most, how many do you actually know?

2.) Wrestling at a club is still NOTHING like wrestling for a DI program. You can't begin by saying "remove the academics" when it comes to fringe sports, nearly the entire point is the academics. One of Gable's most famous lines(I am paraphrasing) is you can only make 2 out of the following 3 work: Wrestling, Academics and Social Life.

3.) I have no doubt that DT has been a big part of their success. But, NONE of that is as a PSU coach, especially not a Head Coach.

4.) Kennedy is the only proven commodity as a coach and he was still essentially an infant in that regard in the PSU room.

Look, I get that their names have some serious star power and that alone will turn heads. I just don't think recruits are dumb enough to simply go off that alone, when there is zero track record so far. I would hope they are at least smart enough to weight their options first.

Now, that doesn't mean that choosing OkState would be the wrong choice. In fact, I am sure that it would be the perfect choice for some. I just hate the narrative that they are automatically the 2nd best choice so far ahead of everyone else, let alone being anywhere close to PSU...
1: I personally don't know any, but I follow social media and what those big recruits say. I also pay attention to what they're interested in and currently that's not Iowa. Coach Phil even admitted that him and his family are an anomaly when it came to the recruiting circuit. It worked for Gabe, but it's definitely not working for the other blue-chippers, which is quite evident considering they're going elsewhere.

2. Acedmics is the entire point of wrestling? Interesting. I don't think anyone has ever said that before. Literally, no one has ever said that before.
What I'm getting at is the routine and how those clubs are run. Long gone are the days when you'd show up to club practice and roll around for a couple hours. There's now a professional sense to it all, that is more along the lines with the major programs. Why? Because the big and successful clubs are being run by former NCAA athletes. They're emulating what they know.

These kids aren't flocking to Small Town, USA to wrestle in the Junior High coach's mat club.

3. You have a point, but you're also overselling the value of prior coaching experience on the collegiate level. That's exactly why DT is bringing Kennedy with him, to help navigate those waters so he can focus on what he knows best. That's painfully easy to decipher.

There will certainly be a steep learning curve for these guys, but when it comes recruiting high lvl athletes and getting to work on the mat, they will succeed.
Most of these guys are already so damn polished by the time they ever even step on a collegiate mat.

4. Kennedy has been an assistant coach since 2018... Same as Tony Ramos. That's well beyond "infancy".

Hate the narrative all you want, but it's not going away because it is very real.

Edit - lastly all these current young guys grew up watching DT win world/ Olympic golds. Now that he's coaching several will want to be coached by their idol, just like DT's generation did with Cael.

Again, I'm not saying they'll topple PSU. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Look, I get that their names have some serious star power and that alone will turn heads. I just don't think recruits are dumb enough to simply go off that alone, when there is zero track record so far. I would hope they are at least smart enough to weight their options first.
You keep saying this and you keep ignoring the NIL money they’re going to have to offer now on top of the new shiny toy coaching staff. Those two combined will automatically put them on most top recruits top lists of schools.

2.) Wrestling at a club is still NOTHING like wrestling for a DI program. You can't begin by saying "remove the academics" when it comes to fringe sports, nearly the entire point is the academics. One of Gable's most famous lines(I am paraphrasing) is you can only make 2 out of the following 3 work: Wrestling, Academics and Social Life.

3.) I have no doubt that DT has been a big part of their success. But, NONE of that is as a PSU coach, especially not a Head Coach.

4.) Kennedy is the only proven commodity as a coach and he was still essentially an infant in that regard in the PSU room.

Now, that doesn't mean that choosing OkState would be the wrong choice. In fact, I am sure that it would be the perfect choice for some. I just hate the narrative that they are automatically the 2nd best choice so far ahead of everyone else, let alone being anywhere close to PSU...
I feel like you’re overlooking the significance of OSU landing the financial backing and commitment from Chad Richison.

1: I personally don't know any, but I follow social media and what those big recruits say. I also pay attention to what they're interested in and currently that's not Iowa. Coach Phil even admitted that him and his family are an anomaly when it came to the recruiting circuit. It worked for Gabe, but it's definitely not working for the other blue-chippers, which is quite evident considering they're going elsewhere.

2. Acedmics is the entire point of wrestling? Interesting. I don't think anyone has ever said that before. Literally, no one has ever said that before.
What I'm getting at is the routine and how those clubs are run. Long gone are the days when you'd show up to club practice and roll around for a couple hours. There's now a professional sense to it all, that is more along the lines with the major programs. Why? Because the big and successful clubs are being run by former NCAA athletes. They're emulating what they know.

These kids aren't flocking to Small Town, USA to wrestle in the Junior High coach's mat club.

3. You have a point, but you're also overselling the value of prior coaching experience on the collegiate level. That's exactly why DT is bringing Kennedy with him, to help navigate those waters so he can focus on what he knows best. That's painfully easy to decipher.

There will certainly be a steep learning curve for these guys, but when it comes recruiting high lvl athletes and getting to work on the mat, they will succeed.
Most of these guys are already so damn polished by the time they ever even step on a collegiate mat.

4. Kennedy has been an assistant coach since 2018... Same as Tony Ramos. That's well beyond "infancy".

Hate the narrative all you want, but it's not going away because it is very real.
It’s obvious we are on the opposite side of the talking points so I won’t counter all other than say, in fringe sports, which is exactly what wrestling is , YES the academics are increasingly important and why a school like Michigan has done so well in the portal.

For a vast majority wrestling ends 4 or 5 years later. Any recruit/parent that doesn’t emphasize that during the recruiting process is wasting an incredibly important opportunity. An environment that can promote a format that creates success in both academics and wrestling should always be a major component.

You keep saying this and you keep ignoring the NIL money they’re going to have to offer now on top of the new shiny toy coaching staff. Those two combined will automatically put them on most top recruits top lists of schools.
I ignore it because it is literally 100% against the rules. NIL isn’t supposed to be ANYWHERE near the recruiting process…

I ignore it because it is literally 100% against the rules. NIL isn’t supposed to be ANYWHERE near the recruiting process…
No you ignore it cause it proves your narrative wrong. Just cause it’s not suppose to happen doesn’t mean it’s not; we all know it is so it most definitely needs factored in to this discussion. It’s foolish not to include it.

Come on man. You ain't this clueless. Wrestling is a sport of acclimation more than anything. You get better at wrestling by wrestling guys better than you.

Don't act like you don't know that even in youth wrestling - parents and athletes chase "partners" - why? Because it does make you better (I have whole other theory on that, but let's save that for a different 10 page thread)

So recruits can see that they will get to roll with Dake, Gilman and DT and whoever else they bring in. That part matters more than just about anything. Who are you rolling with? Can you get better in the room?

Why do you think Casey is so revered? it ain't because he sits on the wall and dictates your movements. He's in that room literally wrestling any where from 4 - 8 hours a day with guys.

I think Dake could have a similar draw, especially if he runs the table this summer.

Following his pressers at the AWL back in 2018 I've always been impressed with him and thought he'd fit in nicely in Iowa.

I remember him saying he loved the Iowa City crowd and their energy. That should've been enough for TNT to go after him 6 years ago, but I guess we like our guys more.
Several, including Askren, have said that Dake may want to be a "behind the scenes" coach. Similar to Cunningham. Possibly isn't into the administrative duties of a head coach. I get it. AD's and donors are a PITA.

No disrespect to Caldwell or Perry but any wrestler who would follow them out the door instead of staying for DT is crazy. I’d say good riddance.
lol, what a truly disconnected take. Some guys go to a school specifically for a certain coach and form an undeniable, familial relationship with that person. There may not be anyone left on the team that fits that bill, but I wouldn’t be surprised by it, nor knock anyone because of it…

It’s obvious we are on the opposite side of the talking points so I won’t counter all other than say, in fringe sports, which is exactly what wrestling is , YES the academics are increasingly important and why a school like Michigan has done so well in the portal.

For a vast majority wrestling ends 4 or 5 years later. Any recruit/parent that doesn’t emphasize that during the recruiting process is wasting an incredibly important opportunity. An environment that can promote a format that creates success in both academics and wrestling should always be a major component.
It should be a major component, but your problem is you're applying common sense and logic to an often erratic and emotional sport/ fan base.

Counter point - most know wrestling ends within 4 or 5 years so they go full throttle while they can.

Often what should matter long term goes out the window for the near sighted goals.

Reactions: vhsalum
Come on man. You ain't this clueless. Wrestling is a sport of acclimation more than anything. You get better at wrestling by wrestling guys better than you.

Don't act like you don't know that even in youth wrestling - parents and athletes chase "partners" - why? Because it does make you better (I have whole other theory on that, but let's save that for a different 10 page thread)

So recruits can see that they will get to roll with Dake, Gilman and DT and whoever else they bring in. That part matters more than just about anything. Who are you rolling with? Can you get better in the room?

Why do you think Casey is so revered? it ain't because he sits on the wall and dictates your movements. He's in that room literally wrestling any where from 4 - 8 hours a day with guys.
Because great wrestlers do not always make great coaches. In fact couple of the best wrestlers I’ve ever known. I thought some of their coaching was absolutely terrible.

It should be a major component, but your problem is you're applying common sense and logic to an often erratic and emotional sport/ fan base.

Counter point - most know wrestling ends within 4 or 5 years so they go full throttle while they can.

Often what should matter long term goes out the window for the near sighted goals.
Which is exceptionally true in revenue sports like basketball and football but again not in fringe sports like wrestling.

You keep ignoring that DT is one of the best high school coaches in the country.

He's one of the most iconic wrestlers of the generation, learned under the greatest coach of this generation, and has already produced elite wrestlers under his own tutelage. He's also been a major impact in the PSU room for a decade.

Recruits aren't going to care that this is technically his first year coaching college. They aren't "dumb enough" to view him as an inexperienced coach. It's David f'ing Taylor.

Which is exceptionally true in revenue sports like basketball and football but again not in fringe sports like wrestling.
Passion is passion and all these athletes in all these sports have elite drive. They will do what they think is necessary to accomplish their goals in the limited time they have.

Because great wrestlers do not always make great coaches. In fact couple of the best wrestlers I’ve ever known. I thought some of their coaching was absolutely terrible.

You couldn’t possibly this clueless. Jesus Christ

you really are this clueless. Makes a lot more sense why you don't want TNT fired.

lol, what a truly disconnected take. Some guys go to a school specifically for a certain coach and form an undeniable, familial relationship with that person. There may not be anyone left on the team that fits that bill, but I wouldn’t be surprised by it, nor knock anyone because of it…
Let me put it to you this way then. Any wrestler who follows their coach out the door out of friendship or familiarity and without giving a better group of coaches a chance to level him up was not someone who wanted to level up in the first place. As others have said, you seek out the best to be the best. Maybe after a year you decide you like your old coach better. No problem with that. But to walk away from the new crew at OSU because you're butthurt over your coach getting fired is asinine.

Reactions: Trapper85
I would much rather see BEN KUETER give wrestling his undivided attention than to dance with this guy again. If we don't think that is realistic, then yeah I could see giving it a thought as it A) keeps Iowa in the conversation of relevancy in a very dark period B) likely means GS to HWC and /or an upperweight coach and B(a) I think getting a phone call from Gable Steveson > getting a call from Bobby Telford. I don't personally care to see it, and if I get asked for $5k to help make it happen I am a firm no. But watching him murder Kerk would be worth something.
There seems to be much money available at the end if he stays in football

Reactions: Sullivan
Actually you’re the idiot. I replied about NIL not being involved in recruiting. So fvck yourself idiot.
Pee Wee Herman GIF

You couldn’t possibly this clueless. Jesus Christ
Did I say it doesn't happen? All I fricking said is it's against the rules and, as such, I am not going to act like it is ok. Maybe the rules change after the lawsuit finalizes. But, the opposite may also be true. It is entirely possible that this comes to a head and the NCAA cracks down on it much harder than they did on the gambling fiasco.

Until then, I am not giving it credence in recruiting...

Actually you’re the idiot. I replied about NIL not being involved in recruiting. So fvck yourself idiot.
But seriously bro. I'm on your side. Just included your response because despite what is RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM - MSU refuses to act like reality is real.

Prolly a flat-earther.

Let me put it to you this way then. Any wrestler who follows their coach out the door out of friendship or familiarity and without giving a better group of coaches a chance to level him up was not someone who wanted to level up in the first place. As others have said, you seek out the best to be the best. Maybe after a year you decide you like your old coach better. No problem with that. But to walk away from the new crew at OSU because you're butthurt over your coach getting fired is asinine.
Again, a completely disconnected take. Bubba Jenkins won a title going to ASU after failing miserably with meshing with Cael.

Put it, this way David Taylor may prove to be the best coach of ALL TIME. But, even when he proves it, that doesn't mean he is the best coach for every wrestler out there. The relationship you form as a wrestler with certain coaches is a giant part of the entire experience. Some of the wrestlers at OSU may absolutely do better if they leave with one of the coaches as long as the coach ends up at the right place.

If they were just following out of spite, I would agree with you. But, that is NOT the way it was phrased...

Wrestling is a sport of acclimation more than anything. You get better at wrestling by wrestling guys better than you.

This times a million. Getting as many elite workout partners as possible is the real secret sauce. Penn State wrestlers have been rolling with guys daily that are better than their competition on Saturday night. Not only does it make you better, it’s free sports psychology. Penn State performs well on the big stage, because they know there are four guys in their room tougher than the soon to be NCAA runner up. Throw a bunch of killers in the room and see who comes out on top is Cael’s real strategy. It’s why the HWC needs more elite guys.

SOME are upset about it - feel like Scott got the shaft. BUT - they all understand DT is the better hire. And Richison was not handing this money over to Scott.
Smith brought Scott in, you would think he is also a bit soured. I know the fans will get over it but they just through the their entire alumni to the curb. There maybe a few guys that want to transfer with Scott also.

But seriously bro. I'm on your side. Just included your response because despite what is RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM - MSU refuses to act like reality is real.

Prolly a flat-earther.
I am not ignoring a single thing. I just have seen PLENTY of "sure things" end up quite the opposite. DT may very well prove to be everything you think he will be. Hell, I even said he almost certainly will be the perfect fit for plenty of recruits. I just WILL NOT ignore the fact that he absolutely could fall flat on his face or just end up being a solid coach.

Time will tell and, until then, my entire argument has simply been to not just ASSUME he is the guy to replace Brands(which is already a non-starter), nor should recruits ASSUME the same. I was simply saying they should do their due diligence and actually take advantage of what the recruiting process provides.

Again, time will tell. Feel free to bookmark this post and come back to me in a couple of years. If I am proven wrong go ahead and throw it in my face. However, if the opposite proves true, I am not a big "I told you so" guy, so you probably won't hear it from me. Either way, it is a win/win for you!

As far as flat-earther goes, I can find a flat ledge for you to step off of and see how far you fall...;)

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum

Disconnected is thinking a significant number of meaningful top wrestlers would prefer Chris Perry as their coach over David Taylor.

Smith brought Scott in, you would think he is also a bit soured. I know the fans will get over it but they just through the their entire alumni to the curb. There maybe a few guys that want to transfer with Scott also.

John is VERY much good with this. Has his blessing. Had his blessing from the start. Remember. This wasn't on anyone's radar until DT himself called. So yeah. John certainly wanted Coleman to take over, and that probably would have happened had DT not shown interest.

One thing to know - the administration was VERY clear that Coleman coming in did not make him the heir apparent. They were very upfront that they would do a true coaching search. Which they did. They called Cael, Casey and I think 2 other non-pokes.

And john knew this and was ok with it. Remember. John didn't even know when he was going to retire at the start of the season. Up until NCAAs, i'd heard he was going to do another 2-4 at least.

If they are Pokie fans, they should be celebrating their good fortune.
For some maybe, for some it may not be so easy to cast away their own.

Im more of a believer in getting what you earn, loyalty and honor. Killing off the weak and young just because its easy or more profitable is not in my portfolio.
I would never cut the throat of the history of the program and let it bleed out for quick “Relevance “

Reactions: Pakman770
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT