ADVERTISEMENT

Gabble Steveson to Iowa?

Someone made DT contact the Univ?
#1 - How do we know that story is true?

#2 - How do we know Casey didn't ring up DT and say I told them you'd be perfect for the job but they need to hear about your interest before they pursue you?

One of those two things may be true. Or neither. I don't believe DT called them without motivation if indeed he called them at all. He had literally just lost OTT, and had irons in the fire with his wife, and "out of the blue" he makes this phone call. I call bullshit. It makes for a nice story but doesn't pass my smell test. Yours?

Edit to add this. Do we really believe an executive search committee left DT off the list of potential hires? An aging Olympian with a marquee name and resume? I think the story being blown up our butts is to make certain people in Oklahoma feel better about how the sausage was made.

Second edit: It was an Iowa executive search committee to boot. Like they wouldn't have scoured the internet for potential hires? Like they wouldn't have seen DT's name come up on this forum and elsewhere as a desired possibility? I don't either and nor should you.

Oklahoma State got exactly who they were looking for. Everything else is BS.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: johnyt9 and el dub
No disrespect to Caldwell or Perry but any wrestler who would follow them out the door instead of staying for DT is crazy. I’d say good riddance.
DT was at PSU when Cael did his great purge of Sunderland squad. Did you listen to Pearsall's interview explaining how the interviews went? Very intense. I'd expect DT to something similar. Here is the interview.

#1 - How do we know that story is true?

#2 - How do we know Casey didn't ring up DT and say I told them you'd be perfect for the job but they need to hear about your interest before they pursue you?

One of those two things may be true. Or neither. I don't believe DT called them without motivation if indeed he called them at all. He had literally just lost OTT, and had irons in the fire with his wife, and "out of the blue" he makes this phone call. I call bullshit. It makes for a nice story but doesn't pass my smell test. Yours?

Edit to add this. Do we really believe an executive search committee left DT off the list of potential hires? An aging Olympian with a marquee name and resume? I think the story being blown up our butts is to make certain people in Oklahoma feel better about how the sausage was made.

Second edit: It was an Iowa executive search committee to boot. Like they wouldn't have scoured the internet for potential hires? Like they wouldn't have seen DT's name come up on this forum and elsewhere as a desired possibility? I don't either and nor should you.
DT called okiest

That’s the truth. He wasn’t on okiest’s radar until then.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
I think JB could right the ship, although many have mentioned he’s not interested in coaching. He would be a fantastic hire as head coach with his name recognition and motivational qualities.
I disagree. I think any team would quickly get tired of him boasting about his accomplishments and tune him out.

Reactions: todiebyyourside
Okie st could land the top recruiting classes for the next 20 years straight and win the national championship every year and MSU would still skeet around those facts to try and prove why he was right and everyone else was wrong; so good idea on the hard pass.
That's exactly what a narcissist would do. I'm not putting him on ignore, but I'll will be ignoring him. There is no point in having any discussion as it's never a discussion. He doesn't understand the concept of deliberation and only debates/argues in a never ending attempt to prove he's right. Like all narcissists he will never admit he's wrong nor will he ever not have the last word. Never.

How many people are you gonna argue with before you accept the fact that you may be out of step on this on? No coach meshes well with every athlete, but that wasn’t your issue at the beginning.

Time will tell, but why argue semantics for three pages. You like to argue.
He likes to stir the pot...and guys like that will never admit that they might be out of step.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
How in the hell is that hedging?

You keep arguing points that are impossible to be proven wrong.

"Even if DT wins championships at OKST there's no evidence he could do that at Iowa". You could make the same claim about Cael....

"There's no evidence anyone could've done better than Tom Brands at Iowa in the past decade".

Many of us are quite confident that DT will be successful quickly at OKST. I think it's fair to say if he were successful there, he could certainly be successful at Iowa as well. To claim otherwise is just hedging for when he wins a title at OKST and people bump your comments in this thread and then you make the claim, "that doesn't mean he could've done it at Iowa".

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you don’t. But I do.

And it’s been told to you by multiple persons. CP, Willie, Basch, me. You’ve been told.

You’re more than welcome not to believe it I guess. But that’s on you
A lie told a thousand times doesn’t make it true. They are reporting what they are told happened. Does it really make sense to you? Seriously? The search committee just stumbled across DT because he called them? Cael never said his name? Casey never said his name? They couldn’t find him on the internet?

Seems your BS meter is broken. I’m very serious about it. Think it through. Makes no sense.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
I’ve heard this same song and dance before
Okay, let's say he does go to Iowa his last year of eligibility, is it worth risking losing Keuter to football exclusively? Maybe this doesn't bother Keuter at all, but I think he is AA material even as a part time wrestler the next four years. Iowa isn't winning next year, so not really seeing the upside with Gable if championships are what really matters. Now, if Gable is more long-term with the wrestling club, then this makes a ton of sense since Iowa could have two of the best at Olympic weights. Yeah, this makes a ton of sense.

It depends on the circumstances, since it would still be entirely possible that he would not have been the right fit for Iowa. I say that because it looks like OkState all of a sudden got unlimited funds with someone more than willing to spend whatever it takes. Still, if OkState leapfrogs Iowa that quickly and truly challenges PSU, I will give credit to any of you I am arguing against.

To be clear, my biggest fear about DT wasn't so much his not succeeding. I do think he will do well. I just don't think he was going to stay at Iowa long term and could see his leaving for a job he likes better, wrecking the program.

Remember, I was at MSU when Saban came to town. I know it isn't the same thing, but when you have a Die-Hard guy like Brands that eats, sleeps and breaths Iowa, I just can't help being super hesitant firing him for a guy that has no loyalty whatsoever to the actual school, when he could leave with no issues to go somewhere he thinks is better.

Also, just ask VTech about that Brands hire.....
Um, if Taylor takes Osu over in Iowa in 3 years....don't credit Taylor, Perry and Scott recruited that whole roster which very well could and should beat iowa next year. Taylor hasn't build that team, he parachuted into it. With Hamiti, Lockett, Hughes, Platt, Spratley, Carroll....

Okay, let's say he does go to Iowa his last year of eligibility, is it worth risking losing Keuter to football exclusively? Maybe this doesn't bother Keuter at all, but I think he is AA material even as a part time wrestler the next four years. Iowa isn't winning next year, so not really seeing the upside with Gable if championships are what really matters. Now, if Gable is more long-term with the wrestling club, then this makes a ton of sense since Iowa could have two of the best at Olympic weights. Yeah, this makes a ton of sense.
If championships are what matters then Gable absolutely makes sense, even if it's just for one year. If a 2x Hodge Trophy winner and Olympic champ is interested in hopping on board, even for just one year, you absolutely have to take that swing.

I love Kueter. I love his story. I love that he's homegrown and has a high ceiling, but all that considered, he's still not in Gable's universe.

And I'm not sold Kueter will reach his peak as long as he's splitting time with another sport.

I ignore it because it is literally 100% against the rules. NIL isn’t supposed to be ANYWHERE near the recruiting process…
Schools are going to be above board with NIL moving forward. It was supposed to be arm length, but the schools are going to be directly controlling that $ in the near future. NCAA has lost all control and they’d rather the schools just have at it than look any more inept at regulating it than they already do.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
A lie told a thousand times doesn’t make it true. They are reporting what they are told happened. Does it really make sense to you? Seriously? The search committee just stumbled across DT because he called them? Cael never said his name? Casey never said his name? They couldn’t find him on the internet?

Seems your BS meter is broken. I’m very serious about it. Think it through. Makes no sense.
Damn, everyone reporting this is wrong & your assumption is correct ?
Slightly on the arrogant side.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
It depends on the circumstances, since it would still be entirely possible that he would not have been the right fit for Iowa. I say that because it looks like OkState all of a sudden got unlimited funds with someone more than willing to spend whatever it takes. Still, if OkState leapfrogs Iowa that quickly and truly challenges PSU, I will give credit to any of you I am arguing against.

To be clear, my biggest fear about DT wasn't so much his not succeeding. I do think he will do well. I just don't think he was going to stay at Iowa long term and could see his leaving for a job he likes better, wrecking the program.

Remember, I was at MSU when Saban came to town. I know it isn't the same thing, but when you have a Die-Hard guy like Brands that eats, sleeps and breaths Iowa, I just can't help being super hesitant firing him for a guy that has no loyalty whatsoever to the actual school, when he could leave with no issues to go somewhere he thinks is better.

Also, just ask VTech about that Brands hire.....
And so the goalposts start to move...

Gable wrestled 4 years with one year being given back which gives him one more year of eligibility left. At that time he retired to the WWE. So two years ago he was not in class and did not apply for a red shirt. Last year he was not in class and did not apply for an olympic shirt. Now this year we think he has a year still left? We have our HWT, lets support him and stop this pipe dream.

Um, if Taylor takes Osu over in Iowa in 3 years....don't credit Taylor, Perry and Scott recruited that whole roster which very well could and should beat iowa next year. Taylor hasn't build that team, he parachuted into it. With Hamiti, Lockett, Hughes, Platt, Spratley, Carroll....
You think he’s done bringing guys in for next season?

The portal is closed for next season already. The only person he can get is Barraclough.

Let’s wait to see what commits change their minds.

Maybe you don’t. But I do.

And it’s been told to you by multiple persons. CP, Willie, Basch, me. You’ve been told.

You’re more than welcome not to believe it I guess. But that’s on you
I think DT had a little birdie tell him to call Okie St. From what I'm hearing, prior to DT reaching out, a decision was made to remove Scott from consideration and Scott only has Scott to blame.

The portal is closed for next season already. The only person he can get is Barraclough.

Let’s wait to see what commits change their minds.
I'm not sure Barraclough fits in the lineup there. If he can make 157, his best shot in their lineup would be to challenge Teague, which would be very difficult. They just brought Fish in at 165, although TB did beat him in SV at the Black Knight last year, and he isn't beating out Hamiti for 174.

Besides, I think that he is going to base his decision in large part on academics (in biomedical engineering), so if they don't have a good program (which I have no idea about), he may scratch them off his list regardless of DT being the coach.

I think DT had a little birdie tell him to call Okie St. From what I'm hearing, prior to DT reaching out, a decision was made to remove Scott from consideration and Scott only has Scott to blame.
Not sure on this one.

Because prior to DT calling and after he initially turned down the job - it was Coleman.

Coleman had actually called a team dinner at his house the day of the announcement. It was partly why they announced it so late that night. They wanted to get ahead of it.

What wouldn't surprise me? Is okiest getting "wind" of the allegations after DT initially declined to ensure that a bigger offer was made.

Not sure on this one.

Because prior to DT calling and after he initially turned down the job - it was Coleman.

Coleman had actually called a team dinner at his house the day of the announcement. It was partly why they announced it so late that night. They wanted to get ahead of it.

What wouldn't surprise me? Is okiest getting "wind" of the allegations after DT initially declined to ensure that a bigger offer was made.
So to think that if Taylor beats Brooks none of this happens. That may have lined up perfectly for him to train for one more cycle, then take over at Iowa. Crazy how quickly things change.

And so the goalposts start to move...
What goalposts were moved?

My argument was extremely simple.

1.) I didn't think Taylor over Brands was the right move this year.

2.) I then argued that DT and OkState should not automatically be near PSU in recruiting, while being miles ahead of everyone else.

3.) I have made it clear since the very first time DT was brought up that my biggest fear is that, even if he did succeed at Iowa, he would have no problem leaving if a job he wanted more became available and I definitely think tOSU and PSU would rather easily lure him away if the spot became available. A few others with super deep pockets(like OkState just showed) could definitely have wooed him away as well. There is no love lost with Iowa and Brands and Cael have already shown how easy it is to leave for something they find more desirable...

Please tell me where I ever said he was not the best hire for OkState or would not do well at OkState.

Now, with that as clearly said as possible, If he does make OkState quickly leapfrog Iowa, I will clearly give you guys credit for saying he will be a super high end coach and say my reservations in that regard were completely wrong. That can be true, without it meaning that anything I listed above was in any way wrong...

Oh, and I will even add this as something where I can be wrong and will gladly admit it if it happens:

I said that DT would start hot with recruiting and would level off after time. If he reaches Cael like recruiting and stays there, while still having to compete against Cael, I will happily admit I was wrong. I simply feel comfortable on this one since, other than Cael, every hot new hire starts off hot, but every single one levels off.

Last edited:

2.) I then argued that DT and OkState should not automatically be near PSU in recruiting, while being miles ahead of everyone else.

3.) I have made it clear since the very first time DT was brought up that my biggest fear is that, even if he did succeed at Iowa, he would have no problem leaving if a job he wanted more became available and I definitely think tOSU and PSU would rather easily lure him away if the spot became available. A few others with super deep pockets(like OkState just showed) could definitely have wooed him away as well. There is no love lost with Iowa and Brands and Cael have already shown how easy it is to leave for something they find more desirable...

Please tell me where I ever said he was not the best hire for OkState or would not do well at OkState.

Now, with that as clearly said as possible, If he does make OkState quickly leapfrog Iowa, I will clearly give you guys credit for saying he will be a super high end coach and say my reservations in that regard were completely wrong. That can be true, without it meaning that anything I listed above was in any way wrong...

More hedging. "Even if he won championships at Iowa it might've been a bad move because he could leave for another school".

You constantly make hypothetical arguments that are impossible to disprove so that you can never be wrong.

Not sure on this one.

Could be for sure. Do have to wonder if DT perhaps got wind of something. Otherwise Coleman was a shoe-in and had to have Smith's blessing prior to his retirement decision.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
Not sure on this one.

What allegations?

Reactions: TarpHawk

Wack attack. What if……?

More hedging. "Even if he won championships at Iowa it might've been a bad move because he could leave for another school".

You constantly make hypothetical arguments that are impossible to disprove so that you can never be wrong.
But, I didn't make that up. It was literally at the forefront of my argument from the very beginning. The fear of DT leaving and crushing the program in the process is a real thing that should get some consideration from anyone. Like I said, I have absolutely hated Nick Saban for what he did to MSU. As such, that component has always been a major consideration for me when analyzing any coaching hire.

How about this, if he stays at OkState for a 5+ years, and is very successful, I would be wrong in that he wasn't the right hire for Iowa. However, all of that is assuming that Brands doesn't do well during that time frame. This ENTIRE argument could be moot, if Brands does very well over that same timeframe...

How about this to all of you? If Brands wins an NCAA Title before DT, will you all admit I was right and you were wrong? Or, can this not work both ways?

Also, so I am not considered "hedging", how about we make clear goalposts?

1.) How many years at OkState would be the minimum necessary to have enough data points to make a cogent argument, either way, on what kind of coach DT could have been at Iowa?

2.) What level of success over that timespan should he have to be considered the clear choice over Brands?

3.) What level of success, or lack thereof, should Brands have during that same time frame?

4.) What is the minimum amount of years he should stay at OkState before leaving for a different job?

Last edited:
For all the back and forth, you should know there is still respect. We may disagree, and I do think you go over the top sometimes with "sensationalism" like your ridiculous, over the top take on "windows" and "natural light", but, in the end, I do get where you are coming from...

Oh, and I added a few questions to the post you responded to. Please feel free to answer them, if you get a chance. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT