ADVERTISEMENT

Gadson Tweet

Unless Tom plans on retiring or Taylor plans on being an assistant, I don’t think this happens. This sounds like one of those “nationals rumors” by someone stating that Iowa needs a shake up and some asking, who could they get? Then by day 3 it’s turned into Iowa going after the “who can they get” answer.

Unless Tom plans on retiring or Taylor plans on being an assistant, I don’t think this happens. This sounds like one of those “nationals rumors” by someone stating that Iowa needs a shake up and some asking, who could they get? Then by day 3 it’s turned into Iowa going after the “who can they get” answer.

This feels most logical and likely to be true but Gadsen is not a BSer.

Last edited:
Maybe they move terry to HWC and make Taylor Assistant HC and phase him in to takeover once brands contract is up. Feels like a weird rumor tho, David has a club in Pennsylvania he’d have to give up.
He said in a recent interview they have a small farm and his wife has a business in town. They have established themselves, but I guess nothing is impossible

Maybe they move terry to HWC and make Taylor Assistant HC and phase him in to takeover once brands contract is up. Feels like a weird rumor tho, David has a club in Pennsylvania he’d have to give up.

Terry to HWC is the right move IMO but the money/donors would have to be there because he would get scooped up as a HC almost anywhere in the country if given the opportunity.

They could make Taylor “associate” head coach and up the $$$

Also I don’t feel like he would need to give up m2 if he has a good staff in place in PA. If anything he could open an Iowa M2 location and build a PA pipeline straight to Iowa city.

No clue if it’s substantiated in any way, but an interesting rumor and one I would be totally on board with.

He said in a recent interview they have a small farm and his wife has a business in town. They have established themselves, but I guess nothing is impossible
At the end of the day money talks right? If they could structure something that he keeps m2, 250k coaching contract, I think there is some meat on that bone. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. Goetz has proved that she will make moves to some degree

Reactions: johnyt9
At the end of the day money talks right? If they could structure something that he keeps m2, 250k coaching contract, I think there is some meat on that bone. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it. Goetz has proved that she will make moves to some degree
I don't think he could do M2 and coach. A recruiting violation. Beyond the money, a DT may ask for a detailed roadmap to succession and changes in the program before that happens. I can't imagine Brands agreeing to any of that. A clean break makes more sense than a transition. If we were talking about a coach getting ready to retire, I'd agree with you, but Tom has no thoughts of that AFAIK.

Reactions: xjohnx and el dub
David Taylor could easily just be the NLWC coach, they have the money to pay his price. I can’t see them letting the best wrestler Cael has produced go to a rival school to help them.

From what I’ve seen of Taylor over the years (and trust me, I’ve tried not to look), I can’t imagine he and Tom co-existing. Oil and water in philosophies. If our AD wants Taylor, it will need to be a clean sweep w/ Taylor selecting his own crew. Which I think would work well, btw.

And since they’re such good buds, I’d expect him to want Dake as his Associate HC.

David Taylor could easily just be the NLWC coach, they have the money to pay his price. I can’t see them letting the best wrestler Cael has produced go to a rival school to help them.
This is where the talk about simply being about “growing the sport” would be put to the test. If that is really what they want more than anything, then they should embrace an expansion of their philosophies to regions beyond Happy Valley.

From what I’ve seen of Taylor over the years (and trust me, I’ve tried not to look), I can’t imagine he and Tom co-existing. Oil and water in philosophies. If our AD wants Taylor, it will need to be a clean sweep w/ Taylor selecting his own crew. Which I think would work well, btw.

And since they’re such good buds, I’d expect him to want Dake as his Associate HC.
Interesting point.

So with that being said, Tom is at 625k this year. Terry I’m not sure, but he made 217k in 2021 so let’s just say he’s up to 275k this year.

So then the real question is, would 900k per year be enough to get Taylor and dake? And would you entrust 0 years of coaching experience to take over arguably the most storied program in the existence of college wrestling? And I’m not talking the coaching, I’m talking the politics, the fundraising, the administration, the recruiting, etc.

Definitely leads to some interesting conversations!

My son has gone to the ATT right next to M2 in Pleasant Gap. I don't know what kind of fees M2 charges or revenue it generates, but DT has a pretty sweet set-up right now.

Interesting point.

So with that being said, Tom is at 625k this year. Terry I’m not sure, but he made 217k in 2021 so let’s just say he’s up to 275k this year.

So then the real question is, would 900k per year be enough to get Taylor and dake? And would you entrust 0 years of coaching experience to take over arguably the most storied program in the existence of college wrestling? And I’m not talking the coaching, I’m talking the politics, the fundraising, the administration, the recruiting, etc.

Definitely leads to some interesting conversations!
I am an “all-in” or “all-out” personality . . . which has been reinforced by all of my most significant successes coming from an all-in mentality.

Can’t hit a home run if you don’t swing. And it’s not like a first-hire has to get a 10-yr deal and we’re locked into a doomsday scenario if the experiment is a bust. 5-yr deal, maybe, see what can be done.

Alternatively, we can keep having the same disappointments year after year.

But I guarantee a Taylor-Dake combo at the top will draw a whole other breed of wrestler to the program. We need that, and we need a staff that will feed and support a modern style of wrestling, a modern mentality.

Terry to HWC is the right move IMO but the money/donors would have to be there because he would get scooped up as a HC almost anywhere in the country if given the opportunity.

They could make Taylor “associate” head coach and up the $$$

Also I don’t feel like he would need to give up m2 if he has a good staff in place in PA. If anything he could open an Iowa M2 location and build a PA pipeline straight to Iowa city.

No clue if it’s substantiated in any way, but an interesting rumor and one I would be totally on board with.
If Terry liked being a head coach he would have been one a lot more often in his life.

Ive typed this before and typing it again. DT is not coming to Iowa.

M2 is a money making machine. His wifes business is doing well. He bought a farm outside State College and is raising his growing family there. He would not mesh with TnT as an assistant, and he has 0.0 HC credentials yet.

Its f** to talk about but it's not happening even with all the money slumdog millionaire and others could throw at it.

That all said, as much as people want the name of DT for the flash of recruiting, Casey Cunningham is the guy that could actually get you guys or any program on top. He is the man behind the man.

Taking Gadsen's tweet at face value, an unknown "they" have started an unverified rumor that Iowa's AD has plans to maybe get DT to Iowa. Not much to go on there.

Reactions: el dub and Hwt1
Thanks. At the end of the day I just don’t see Beth doing this. She sure as heck isn’t out there hunting for assistants as some have theorized.
How would hunting for assistants be any thing she’d ever do? She could hunt for a new HC, she’s not going to hunt for assistants and would have no place in doing that besides final say.

Reactions: js8793
Thanks. At the end of the day I just don’t see Beth doing this. She sure as heck isn’t out there hunting for assistants as some have theorized.
dying at the idea that DT would ever take an assistant job under Tom (or anywhere other than PSU as the coach in waiting).

i do hope this is true. even if it doesn't happen, it means we don't have an AD who checks the box score on Monday morning and says "eh good enough."

Taking Gadsen's tweet at face value, an unknown "they" have started an unverified rumor that Iowa's AD has plans to maybe get DT to Iowa. Not much to go on there.
It’s less that not much. There is no much in nothing.
Don’t ask me, buddy. I’m the one saying it isn’t plausible.
Taking Gadsen's tweet at face value, an unknown "they" have started an unverified rumor that Iowa's AD has plans to maybe get DT to Iowa.
And sound can’t can’t travel in a vacuum, there’s nothing there.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT