ADVERTISEMENT

George Washington University’s new nickname is ... the Revolutionaries

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
George Washington University unveiled a new nickname Wednesday to replace one that its leaders and many students had deemed divisive and dated during a recent period of racial and social reckoning. No longer to be known as the Colonials, sports teams and other groups on the D.C. campus will go by the Revolutionaries.

Fast, informative and written just for locals. Get The 7 DMV newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning.

The choice, made after four finalists were disclosed in March, was announced as the largest university in the nation’s capital wraps up the school year. With it, GWU bypassed a whimsical proposal that had been a favorite of many of its roughly 26,000 students — Blue Fog. The other finalists were Sentinels and Ambassadors.
George Washington University narrows list to replace Colonials moniker
“This is an exciting day for the George Washington University Revolutionaries,” Mark S. Wrighton, the university president, said in a statement. “I am very grateful for the active engagement of our community throughout the development of the new moniker.” The university said it had received “47,000 points of feedback” and “8,000 moniker suggestions” in the past year.

A point of clarification: The university is not changing its mascot. That remains George, in honor of the first president.

ADVERTISING

Revolutionaries, tying to Washington’s role as a military leader in the American Revolution, is GWU’s first new nickname since Colonials was adopted in 1926. In the past few years, Colonials fell out of favor because the moniker was seen as a proxy for European imperialism, offensive to Indigenous peoples in the United States and elsewhere. Many non-White students, in particular, did not identify with the nickname.
Across the country, various colleges and universities during the past decade have confronted similar issues. Campus statues have been moved, buildings renamed, and nicknames reconsidered.
In 2016 Amherst College renounced usage of the unofficial mascot “Lord Jeff” amid scrutiny of an 18th-century British lord, Jeffery Amherst, who had proposed using the smallpox virus to attack Native Americans. A year later, the college adopted the mascot the Mammoths.
In 2019, GWU students approved a referendum urging the university to replace the Colonials moniker. Racial justice demonstrations that arose nationwide after the murder of George Floyd in 2020 led to intensified scrutiny. In June 2022, the GWU board of trustees announced the moniker would be replaced by the 2023-2024 school year.

GW has such an inferiority complex, which really only is surpassed by its desire to be the real estate empire that ate Foggy Bottom the way Disney ate Orlando.

When I was there in the late 80s, they had an annual student "law revue" program of comedy and parody songs, and at the time (maybe still?) there was a very high concentration of the type of young tribeswoman that Frank Zappa once wrote a song about. Anyway, in the law revue show, my recently-deceased roommate performed a verse of a number to the tune of the Beatles' "Back in the USSR", which went something along the following lines:

GW JAPs really gross me out -
Their hair piled way up high.
But Georgetown girls just won't go out.
It makes me wonder why why why why why why why why why!!!!

George Washington University unveiled a new nickname Wednesday to replace one that its leaders and many students had deemed divisive and dated during a recent period of racial and social reckoning. No longer to be known as the Colonials, sports teams and other groups on the D.C. campus will go by the Revolutionaries.

Fast, informative and written just for locals. Get The 7 DMV newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning.

The choice, made after four finalists were disclosed in March, was announced as the largest university in the nation’s capital wraps up the school year. With it, GWU bypassed a whimsical proposal that had been a favorite of many of its roughly 26,000 students — Blue Fog. The other finalists were Sentinels and Ambassadors.
George Washington University narrows list to replace Colonials moniker
“This is an exciting day for the George Washington University Revolutionaries,” Mark S. Wrighton, the university president, said in a statement. “I am very grateful for the active engagement of our community throughout the development of the new moniker.” The university said it had received “47,000 points of feedback” and “8,000 moniker suggestions” in the past year.

A point of clarification: The university is not changing its mascot. That remains George, in honor of the first president.

ADVERTISING

Revolutionaries, tying to Washington’s role as a military leader in the American Revolution, is GWU’s first new nickname since Colonials was adopted in 1926. In the past few years, Colonials fell out of favor because the moniker was seen as a proxy for European imperialism, offensive to Indigenous peoples in the United States and elsewhere. Many non-White students, in particular, did not identify with the nickname.
Across the country, various colleges and universities during the past decade have confronted similar issues. Campus statues have been moved, buildings renamed, and nicknames reconsidered.
In 2016 Amherst College renounced usage of the unofficial mascot “Lord Jeff” amid scrutiny of an 18th-century British lord, Jeffery Amherst, who had proposed using the smallpox virus to attack Native Americans. A year later, the college adopted the mascot the Mammoths.
In 2019, GWU students approved a referendum urging the university to replace the Colonials moniker. Racial justice demonstrations that arose nationwide after the murder of George Floyd in 2020 led to intensified scrutiny. In June 2022, the GWU board of trustees announced the moniker would be replaced by the 2023-2024 school year.

Why are so many well educated progressive people so obsessed over trivial things like the name of a school mascot?

For every 100 articles in liberal leaning rags about items like mascot names there are maybe 1 or 2 substantive discussion pieces about intelligent economic reform that could help the people they claim to care most about.

They're largely not serious people.

colonials_george-washington.jpg

A buddy’s riff on this subject…

I’m excited to see the new names of their dorms….I used to live in Robespierre but hated their dining hall table service. And like they only served Ahi three times a week. It was dreadful. I thought I was living in F’ing Indiana!!!I

Considered Lenin but the guys in there were mostly wanna be frat douches. They are all backwards hats and rapey. And they liked Meghan more than me…Meghan?!? Really?!?!?!?

Now I’m in Castro and it’s like totally perfect. The maids wait until I leave for class to make my bed and do my laundry. There is a safe cannabis room with great ventilation and awesome wifi and we have an en suite sushi chef from Osaka. That cost like $10K per year extra but my asshole parents said, whatever makes you happy. They are the WORST!”

Yep. Great comeback in NCAA BB tournament

I was there, too.
I was too young to really remember their tournament games in 1992 and 1993, so the 1996 GW game was the first NCAA Tournament game I ever watched Iowa play in start to finish.

I remember hating the one George Washington player with the headband, and that my mom was massively upset for realizing I was still up watching the game even though it was a Friday lol.

• Sad
Reactions: DolphLundgren
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT