ADVERTISEMENT

Go on the record here about the Coronavirus

This was an interesting thread to read back through parts of, and will continue to be interesting in the coming weeks. Anyone want to put their nickel down on where this goes from here?
I will bet a nickel that Joes Place will continue to bombard us with dozens of Twitter links per day.

Let’s revisit in a month...we’ll know a lot more then.

Yup. A big addition today.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...e_doomsday_media_predictions_or_analysis.html

White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Deborah Birx warned the public not to panic when they hear about models and projections of the pandemic's spread.

"Models are models," she said. "When people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, it's very scary, but we don't have data that matches that based on our experience."

She said the media should not "make the implication that when they need a hospital bed it's not going to be there, or a ventilator, it's not going to be there, we don't have evidence of that."

"It's our job collectively to assure the American people," she also said. "There is no model right now -- no reality on the ground where we can see that 60% to 70% of Americans are going to get infected in the next eight to 12 weeks. I want to be clear about that."

DR. DEBORAH BRIX: I'm sure you have seen the recent report out of the U.K. about them adjusting completely their needs. This is really quite important. If you remember, that was the report that says there would be 500,000 deaths in the U.K. and 2.2 million deaths in the United States. They've adjusted that number in the U.K. to 20,000. Half a million to 20,000. We are looking at that in great detail to understand that adjustment.

I'm going to say something that is a little bit complicated but do it in a way we can understand it together. In the model, either you have to have a large group of people who a-asymptomatic, who never presented for any test to have the kind of numbers predicted. To get to 60 million people infected, you have to have a large group of a-symptomatics. We have not seen an attack rate over 1 in 1,000. So either we are measuring the iceberg and underneath it, are a large group of people. So we are working hard to get the antibody test and figure out who these people are and do they exist. Or we have the transmission completely wrong.

So these are the things we are looking at, because the predictions of the model don't match the reality on the ground in China, South Korea or Italy. We are five times the size of Italy. If we were Italy and did all those divisions, Italy should have close to 400,000 deaths. They are not close to achieving that.

Models are models. We are -- there is enough data of the real experience with the coronavirus on the ground to really make these predictions much more sound. So when people start talking about 20% of a population getting infected, it's very scary, but we don't have data that matches that based on our experience.

And the situation about ventilators. We are reassured in meeting with our colleagues in New York that there are still I.C.U. Beds remaining and still significant -- over 1,000 or 2,000 ventilators that have not been utilized.

Please for the reassurance of people around the world, to wake up this morning and look at people talking about creating DNR situations, Do Not Resuscitate situations for patients, there is no situation in the United States right now that warrants that kind of discussion. You can be thinking about it in the hospital. Certainly, hospitals talk about this on a daily basis, but to say that to the American people and make the implication that when they need a hospital bed it's not going to be there or a ventilator, it's not going to be there, we don't have evidence of that.

It's our job collectively to assure the American people, it's our job to make sure that doesn't happen. You can see the cases are concentrated in highly urban areas and there are other parts of the states that have lots of ventilators and other parts of New York state that don't have any infected. We can meet the needs by being responsive.

There is no model right now -- no reality on the ground where we can see that 60% to 70% of Americans are going to get infected in the next eight to 12 weeks. I want to be clear about that. We are adapting to the reality on the ground and looking at the models of how they can inform but learning from South Korea and Italy and from Spain and I know you will look up my numbers.

Bumping this thread to check in on our predictions just over a month later. Mine are unfortunately mostly in line. I wish I was wrong. Supply shortages, some overwhelmed hospitals and there are indeed EU countries with lower CFRs than ours.

How are your predictions faring? Have you changed your mind over the past month?

Bumping this thread to check in on our predictions just over a month later. Mine are unfortunately mostly in line. I wish I was wrong. Supply shortages, some overwhelmed hospitals and there are indeed EU countries with lower CFRs than ours.

How are your predictions faring? Have you changed your mind over the past month?
I haven't changed mine.

By the summer it will not be the end of the world epidemic that it is being portrayed now. By the fall it won't be a thing at all.

Any vaccination that comes out to combat this will be way before the 12 to 18 months time frame that is being said now.
Ouch

Sure. Many may get sick and they may do a poor job at prevention and reaction, but they are already past the SARS and Swine flu stage of panic and so far only two people have contracted it here. I’m guessing by the time the vaccine is here in a couple months it will be close to done with.

Ouch

I'll go on record that sequestering information from the public, from the world's experts, ain't gonna "calm the markets" anytime soon.

ImpartialGoldenCattle-size_restricted.gif

This is where I’m at. If 40-70% of the world population gets it, well you do the math. All we can do now is just act like it’s flu season and do our part until the vaccine is out.

Also don’t watch the opinionated news channels or listen to politicians on this. Visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html or https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019 For your information and to stay up to date

This one's probably a Bingo, too, sadly.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
No, vaccines are gonna take 12 months or longer.
The gameplan is (and should be) to prevent outbreaks as much as possible until medicines/vaccines can catch up.

One thing people are underestimating when they compare this to the flu: we vaccinate 170M people a year for that, which keeps its spread down to 12% incidence. W/o those vaccines, that would easily be double or triple. Flu vaccines BOTH prevent spread AND dilute the severity of the virus. No vaccines, and the flu spread would be very much in line with CDC estimates of possible 40% population spread for coronavirus.

Hospitals can struggle in flu season with the influx of patients in bad shape from it; take away the vaccines and you have maybe 2x to 4x that population, and really quite a mess. Make flu 5x to 10x more dangerous and lethal, and that is what they are saying COVID19 could be.

Will that happen? I don't know.

Should we ignore it and pretend it's not a problem, just because the Trump administration doesn't want panic to hit the stock markets? That would seem rather silly and dangerous based on what we do know. Once your health systems get overwhelmed (like China), there's no going back. You are f****d. Which is why China literally sacrificed it's own economy to try to dig itself out.

Another Bingo

I’m in the camp where it’s better to be safe than sorry. If this falls way short of the “millions dead” models used previously, then great. A bonus.

we’re still learning about this virus and I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that we were operating on faulty information early on. I don’t think China has been 100% truthful either but we’ll learn from this and move on.

I don’t think China has been 100% truthful either but we’ll learn from this and move on.

You're more optimistic on that than I am. We tend to have short-term memories in this country, and revert back to the same Red/Blue game. You really think we can get agreement on a national infrastructure for this, that is independent of political meddling and propaganda?

Put it out there so we can revisit this down the line and see “how well these posts aged.”

I’ll start. Wish me luck.

It is a monumental over reaction to how bad this will be for us. Every show I saw on CNN today asked the question to their “expert”, “Who is to blame for this?” Every one of them said “ultimately Trump”. Nothing has even happened yet and they’re already blaming him. They’re tipping their hand.

Sure. Many may get sick and they may do a poor job at prevention and reaction, but they are already past the SARS and Swine flu stage of panic and so far only two people have contracted it here. I’m guessing by the time the vaccine is here in a couple months it will be close to done with.

Man...this one could come back to haunt me. I could be way off here.

What about you?

How many of you had:
  • >1,000,000 US cases by end of April
  • >60,000 US deaths by end of April
  • US leading the world in both cases and deaths, with >30% of worldwide cases and >25% of worldwide deaths
  • 26 million jobs lost
  • Economic contraction on the order of 5-10%

...just been one big ol' Nothingburger.

How many of you had:
  • US leading the world in both cases and deaths, with >30% of worldwide cases and >25% of worldwide deaths
  • 26 million jobs lost

you seem excited and happy

How many of you had:
  • 26 million jobs lost

you cannot possibly say any of this, fake news and fake stats. tests which are not accurate. reporting of deaths by old age and cancer as covid deaths. jobs and economics may or may not be accurate. basically we know less now than we did in February.

• 1,0950,000 US cases by end of April
  • >63,000 US deaths by end of April
  • 30 million jobs lost

Damn. We really had some folks missing the boat on this one, didn't we?
Seems like few, if any, want to come back and revisit.

• 1,0950,000 US cases by end of April
  • >63,000 US deaths by end of April
  • 30 million jobs lost
Damn. We really had some folks missing the boat on this one, didn't we?
Seems like few, if any, want to come back and revisit.
yes apparently you have missed it. quoting fake stats from who knows where

I'm guessing here, but based on the way this virus operates:

~50% or higher infection rate globally, perhaps lower in the USA, but doubtful.

40 million+ deaths resulting from the infection globally, I expect that the mortality rate in the USA will be lower than the global rate with about 1 million dead here.

Bump for my BINGO as my US C-19 death toll prediction of 1 million approaches. Hopefully we won't exceed this total by too much before C-19 becomes an afterthought to us here.

It's hard to know if my predicted global deaths number of 40 million is wildly overstated or not. Am I really supposed to believe that only 4,636 C-19 deaths in China alone? GTFO of here with that data. How many other countries are wildly underreported as well? Based on the # dead in the US the worldwide total should currently be ~27 million. Maybe I'm not that far off at all, but we're not out of this yet unfortunately.

Bump for my BINGO as my US C-19 death toll prediction of 1 million approaches. Hopefully we won't exceed this total by too much before C-19 becomes an afterthought to us here.

It's hard to know if my predicted global deaths number of 40 million is wildly overstated or not. Am I really supposed to believe that only 4,636 C-19 deaths in China alone? GTFO of here with that data. How many other countries are wildly underreported as well? Based on the # dead in the US the worldwide total should currently be ~27 million. Maybe I'm not that far off at all, but we're not out of this yet unfortunately.
US COVID fatalities are around 1.8% based on worldometer data (984K deaths out of 56M cases). That's for the whole pandemic, not the current rate. That's a little higher than the long-term projections earlier in the pandemic (which bounced around 1.4%), but in the ballpark.

I sure am glad this thing is winding down. Let's hope another bad variant doesn't hit us.

I'd feel a lot better if we were aggressively planning for and working to prevent future pandemics, but I doubt Republicans will agree to do that. Might interfere with tax cuts for the rich.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT