ADVERTISEMENT

Good Play Overlooked

PHawkKenyon

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2016
Cedar Rapids
As a dad, I can’t begin to tell you how proud I am for Kris and Keegan playing well (though soft schedule) to begin the season. We definitely will be tested by our next 4 games. That being said let’s give props to what we have seen so far.

- 4 Iowa player are averaging double figures with Payton and Tony averaging 9.7 and 9.0 respectively.
- As a team we are shooting 50%fg, 40%3pt and 83%ft. We need to work on our defensive rebounding because of the upgrade in competition.
- Our defense is more athletic and we are causing havoc with 9.3spg and 5.0bpg. This will definitely keeps us in games when our outside shots aren’t going (plus better team rebounding 😉)
- I believe we can have one of the most productive and explosive benches in the B10 with 37ppg.
- I trust Keegan will make the proper reads when teams scheme for him because he trusts the guys on the floor and they trust that he will get the ball to them as we have seen them share the basketball beautifully in the first 6 games.
- Reality is we are going to surprise some teams, but we may drop a game we shouldn’t just based on the experience.

I am excited to see what this team can do!!!

Last edited:
Gotta be gushing with pride Kenyon. Your boys are playing awesome in every phase and you're right. There's a lot to like about this team. Gonna be a fun year for sure. Hoping this isn't Keegan's last run as a Hawkeye :) . It sure feels like he and Kris could have some special years here together. What a great situation for all of you.

Because of their age, I can see one or both of them leaving early before their 4 year legibility lapses.
You can see Keegan is clearly ahead of Kris but Kris is closing the gap as he gains experience, here's hoping that we get at least 1 more year out of both of them before they decide to go their separate ways.

It will be fun to watch. We definitely appear more athletic and better defensively. Our bench players along with Keegan in the game have played better than the starters in stretches, and I think that will continue. I love when the lineup of Ulis, Perkins, Sandfort, and both Murrays is on the court together.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I appreciate the objectivity in the OP. That cannot be easy with two sons playing on the team.

What I know is that Iowa may have had a soft schedule but they've done everything they were supposed to do. They've blown out all of those teams while leading the country in scoring. Nothing more you can ask for.

If Iowa can make threes, they're going to surprise some opponents. I'm excited to see them grow this season.

As a dad, I can’t begin to tell you how proud I am for Kris and Keegan playing well (though soft schedule) to begin the season. We definitely will be tested by our next 4 games. That being said let’s give props to what we have seen so far.

- 4 Iowa player are averaging double figures with Payton and Tony averaging 9.7 and 9.0 respectively.
- As a team we are shooting 50%fg, 40%3pt and 83%ft. We need to work on our defensive rebounding because of the upgrade in competition.
- Our defense is more athletic and we are causing havoc with 9.3spg and 5.0bpg. This will definitely keeps us in games when our outside shots aren’t going (plus better team rebounding 😉)
- I believe we can have one of the most productive and explosive benches in the B10 with 37ppg.
- I trust Keegan will make the proper reads when teams scheme for him because he trusts the guys on the floor and they trust that he will get the ball to them as we have seen them share the basketball beautifully in the first 6 games.
- Reality is we are going to surprise some teams, but we may drop a game we shouldn’t just based on the experience.

I am excited to see what this team can do!!!
Kenyon, I Loved watching you as a player and Love watching your sons play also. What is just as important to me as you all being excellent players is that you are all excellent people. What a great family. Thank You all for representing the Hawks with class and dignity. Now please go make more children. Lol.

As for the defense being more athletic, man that really stood out last Monday. It was the first game I'd made since senior night before the no attendence season, and the difference was night and day. The explosiveness and closing speed this group has is tremendous, and was the biggest thing that stood out to me that you don't quite get through 2D on TV.

It's Western Michigan, but still. I lost count of how many passes BARELY missed getting tipped after trying to pass out of the 3/4 traps. This is the smallest team in years, it's still going to be a struggle down low against the big guys in conference season, but this crew is going to force a LOT of turnovers.

Reactions: PHawkKenyon
One thing we may have to go with the non traditional back up center and use different lineups in the short term.

Murray brothers are the two best oveall players on the team, you don't need to be modest, but I do agree there are a lot of other positives. Hopefully we see a lot more Kris and Keegan at same time.

Reactions: RocknRollface
It’s easy to dream on the potential of this team and especially the Murray twins. Keegan’s game is efficient, smooth and effective. I can see him continuing to put up lofty numbers because he is so efficient. He gets points in the flow but could also hunt buckets when the team really needs one.

This team will be entertaining and could be really good.

Inside buckets will be tough against Virginia. It'll be fun to see who is hot from 3 tonight. Murray? Murray? JBo? Sandfort? I'll take "All" for 400 Alex...

Reactions: longliveCS40
Not overlooked here. Why on earth is Kris not starting? Keep up the good work and congrats on the kids playing well
I might be in the minority on this front, but I kind of like Kris Murray coming off the bench. He's so versatile that he can come in for 4 different positions. I'm thinking that he'll have 'starter' type of minutes during the conference season. As it is, he's averaging 18 min/game (6th on the team).

I might be in the minority on this front, but I kind of like Kris Murray coming off the bench. He's so versatile that he can come in for 4 different positions. I'm thinking that he'll have 'starter' type of minutes during the conference season. As it is, he's averaging 18 min/game (6th on the team).
This. Having him, Perkins, Ulis, Sandfort, and CMac on the bench provides Iowa with enough depth to get through about any foul trouble or matchup issues. That is a luxury for Iowa.

Keegan and Kris should both be on the floor for as many minutes as possible.

Period. Theres no logical argument to be made otherwise.

That should be the foundation of the team. Play them at the 2, 3, 4, 5 doesn't matter. Figure out the rest after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT