ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin will be the most important game of the season

2D_

HR MVP
Apr 3, 2023
Iowa and Wisconsin are the front runners to win the West this year according to most predictions. I think this will be the most important game of the season for us.

Some have claimed they will be an offensive juggernaut this year. I honestly have my doubts. But it never ceases to bother me how often we lose to them.

Watching past replays, I'm astounded how stellar Wisconsin's offensive line is. It makes ours look like Swiss cheese in comparison. I think this has been the biggest factor in their wins against us.

But the most frustrating thing is that we always seem to have uncharacteristically egregious errors only during games against the Badgers, as if we're cursed. I feel as though Kirk is always out coached, everytime.

What can Iowa do to get over the Wisconsin hump? Will our upgraded OLine and QB be enough? Last year's win was a special teams and defensive effort, with little offense to be seen. But Wisconsin's offense has been particularly incompetent these past few years.

Iowa has only 3 wins in the past 10 meetings.

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Iowa/Penn State is the most important game of the year and it's not close. If Iowa walks into happy valley and wins, they are going to the ship.
Penn State is not in the Western conference, so a win or a loss will not affect our standing on whether or not we'll win the West.

Penn State is not in the Western conference, so a win or a loss will not affect our standing on whether or not we'll win the West.
Just to get this straight, you don't think Wisconsin is going to lose 2 conference games?

Just to get this straight, you don't think Wisconsin is going to lose 2 conference games?
Never said they would or they won't. I stated that many outlets predict them to win the West, including Vegas. I personally think the West is Iowa's to lose. I think Iowa is better than Wisconsin, but there's no denying they've owned us the past decade.

Penn State is the biggest game, but not the most important in the grand scheme of winning the West and getting to the championship.

• Haha
Iowa and Wisconsin are the front runners to win the West this year according to most predictions. I think this will be the most important game of the season for us.

Some have claimed they will be an offensive juggernaut this year. I honestly have my doubts. But it never ceases to bother me how often we lose to them.

Watching past replays, I'm astounded how stellar Wisconsin's offensive line is. It makes ours look like Swiss cheese in comparison. I think this has been the biggest factor in their wins against us.

But the most frustrating thing is that we always seem to have uncharacteristically egregious errors only during games against the Badgers, as if we're cursed. I feel as though Kirk is always out coached, everytime.

What can Iowa do to get over the Wisconsin hump? Will our upgraded OLine and QB be enough? Last year's win was a special teams and defensive effort, with little offense to be seen. But Wisconsin's offense has been particularly incompetent these past few years.

Almost always the case for most/vast majority of the last 20+ years

Never said they would or they won't.
They would likely need to in order to win the west.

The most important game to this team is Penn State. If they walk in to a top 5 environment/team and walk out with a win, I expect Iowa to take the rest of that schedule to the bank.

Reactions: HawknBadgerLand
Never said they would or they won't. I stated that many outlets predict them to win the West, including Vegas. I personally think the West is Iowa's to lose. I think Iowa is better than Wisconsin, but there's no denying they've owned us the past decade.

Penn State is the biggest game, but not the most important in the grand scheme of winning the West and getting to the championship.
winning the division is based on B1G wins not just West wins

I would say that the opener is the most important game of the year. I expect dramatic improvements with the new skill position pieces, but if the offense comes out looking anything like the last 2 years it's going to get ugly quick and BF better start wearing a helmet at the rest of the games.

• Haha
I would say that the opener is the most important game of the year. I expect dramatic improvements with the new skill position pieces, but if the offense comes out looking anything like the last 2 years it's going to get ugly quick and BF better start wearing a helmet at the rest of the games.
They won't show much of anything.

Much will be saved up for Penn State I believe.

The Wisconsin that exists now is not the same as the Wisconsin we used to know, so I think you can retire any concerns about past precedent against them.

But I would agree it’s the most important game. Bigger than the Penn State game.

Ask yourself which 1-1 you would prefer: Beat PSU and lose to Wisconsin, or beat Wisconsin and lose to PSU?

You’d be dumb to choose the first option. All wins count in the West standings, yes, but losing out on the tiebreaker against the team most likely to threaten us for the West title is essentially losing twice.

That said, I do think there is a chance the Badgers kinda suck this year. No one’s really saying that but these lofty expectations everyone has for them with a brand new regime are a bit extreme. If that’s the case, biggest game of the year becomes whoever the true next best team in the West ends up being.

Iowa/Penn State is the most important game of the year and it's not close. If Iowa walks into happy valley and wins, they are going to the ship.
Unless Wisconsin beats Iowa and they finish with the same record. But I know what you mean, they'll have momentum and we'll know it's one of those years if they win at State. But beating a west contender is always good for making it to the ship.

• Haha

Yes and two of the last three. I like the Hawkeye's chances. I think our defense will be as good or better than Wisconsin's. I think we will be better at QB and will have a better running back. Our tightends should be better and I think we see good improvement in the O-line this season. Go Hawks !

• Haha
You are wrong about what you say as all Big 10 games count in the standings.

A loss to Penn St or any eastern div team counts as a loss in Iowa's standing in the West Div race. It has been this way since legends and leaders divisions were created and it is not that hard to understand.

Now a loss to Penn St does not create a tiebreaker problem for Iowa the way it does if Iowa loses to Wisky. Losing to Wisky is like being basically 2 games more behind Wisky in the standings as Wisky would have to loss two more games than Iowa the rest of the season.

Reactions: F5n5
Ask yourself which 1-1 you would prefer: Beat PSU and lose to Wisconsin, or beat Wisconsin and lose to PSU?

You’d be dumb to choose the first option. All wins count in the West standings, yes, but losing out on the tiebreaker against the team most likely to threaten us for the West title is essentially losing twice.
This is the really big factor most years in the race, the tiebreakers,

Though we've done better against WI this decade, losing to them is still mostly BAU
True. There were a couple games that could have gone either way but we blew them. There were also some games in Madison we didn't even belong on the same field. Even with Josh Jackson's 2 pick sixes, we weren't in that one by halftime. That's incredible.

We blew the one in Iowa city the year we turned the ball over 3-4 times but we're definitely the better team. Being from Wisconsin, I hate/love this game. I'm going with 2 bucky fans and my brother (Iowa fan) to Madison this year.

Hawks better win. I was in Madison for the 2015 win, but the next 3 I was at in Madison we lost. Tough place to play. Hope it's an 11:00 am kickoff.

• Haha
They would likely need to in order to win the west.

The most important game to this team is Penn State. If they walk in to a top 5 environment/team and walk out with a win, I expect Iowa to take the rest of that schedule to the bank.
Careful, it is Iowa...they usually have 1 game a year they shouldn't win (OSU when we crushed them in Kinnick) only to go out and lose 2 of next 3...

Wisconsin is 1-9 in last ten games with Ohio State.

Iowa won in 2021, despite the loss in Madison.

All five road games will be important.

• Haha
Kinda feel like ISU will be a major proving game as it will be the first quality opponent in a hostile environment. That plus Penn state a few weeks later will tell us a lot about improvements in the offense.

Wisconsin and Nebraska both are just major wildcards with the coaching changes, especially Wisconsin with the schematic overhaul as well.

• Haha

Since 2010 Kirk's offensive game plan has been way too conservative. You have to keep their D off balance by throwing on first down and being unpredictable; but we do not do it.

• Haha
Kinda feel like ISU will be a major proving game as it will be the first quality opponent in a hostile environment. That plus Penn state a few weeks later will tell us a lot about improvements in the offense.

Wisconsin and Nebraska both are just major wildcards with the coaching changes, especially Wisconsin with the schematic overhaul as well.
One has to wonder,will Wiscy's dee be as stout as its been with the new emphasis on offense. I hope they are screwing the pooch by getting away with what made them so tough to beat. Running game and dee.

One has to wonder,will Wiscy's dee be as stout as it’s t will be interesting to see how been with the new emphasis on offense. I hope they are screwing the pooch by getting away with what made them so tough to beat. Running game and dee.

It will be interesting to see how well they play on defense, Losing Leonhard was a significant loss IMO.

there was a coach that was going to bring BB on grass to the BT and look at how that worked out. be careful of what you wish for.

kinda like if you know you are not going to like the answer. then don't ask question.

Isn't Brian 2-4 vs Wisconsin? Pretty sure Brian's offense racked up about 60 yards of total offense in Madison back in '17.
Yes. I think he should have collaborated a bit more with Phil on how to attack that defense. Also, I think Nate had the yips in that game going into Madison (his home state) for the first time as a Hawk starter.

Reactions: HawknBadgerLand
the worm maybe turning back in IA's favor. when I look back at the 2022 season these were the 5 losses
ISU 9-7
#4 Michigan 27-14
@Illinois 9-6
@ #2 OSU 54-10
Nebraska 24-17

yup IA lost to a bunch of cupcakes and should of rack up 70 plus points and 700 plus total yards per game. with ease

most of you complain that IA does not play Michigam often enough, but when they do posters bitch about not scoring or producing enough yards.

to bad they refuse to admit other teams can and do play defense, defense is not just reserved for IA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT