ADVERTISEMENT

Goodson is afraid of contact.

no_one_

All-Conference
Aug 11, 2006
He needs a game off or something. So dumb that we don’t trust other running backs to carry the ball.

Reactions: RomanHawk
He’s just not physical. Tells you everything you need to know when Gavin Williams gets brought it in key moments in short yardage.

He’s just not physical. Tells you everything you need to know when Gavin Williams gets brought it in key moments in short yardage.
Well... Tyler to me runs real hard in key situations. The late 3rd and 9. Short by 1/2 inch.Maybe he made it. Anyway fun Win. Next!

I think he goes slow to the gap waiting for a lane to open in which he will explode thru. However; due to poor blocking many times there is no lane to run and he gets taken down. Not really the type of runner to blast into the line and make his own hole.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
To me it seems like there isn't even a hole to run through half the time so he hesitates a second to try and make something happen. Usually that ends in a loss. He would probably be better served just running into the wall of linemen for 1 yd.

Reactions: iowahaha1
Stupid thread is stupid. How about BF and KF stop with the delayed stretch that a blind kid in Russia can see coming and puts TG with the ball 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with 5 defenders collapsing on him?

To me it seems like there isn't even a hole to run through half the time so he hesitates a second to try and make something happen. Usually that ends in a loss. He would probably be better served just running into the wall of linemen for 1 yd.
I'd say there's a fair amount of this. It's the classic "wait for the play to develop", which is usually a good thing for an RB to do as the tendency is often that they want to rush things. Problem is that the Iowa O-line is not good enough, outside of Linderbaum, for the plays to actually develop consistently. So instead he gets swallowed up for a loss. Iowa really needs a bruiser of a back, like McCray who they'll see next week gashing them for multiple yard gains, to run as a counterpunch to TGs more shifty style.

A couple of the best / hardest runs I remember this season were his first runs against NW and Mn. Both right up the gut full speed no hesitation for 8-10 yds. Don’t remember seeing that play again in either games.

I too was hoping he was going to put his shoulders down and plow through them defenders for that first down.

I think he goes slow to the gap waiting for a lane to open in which he will explode thru. However; due to poor blocking many times there is no lane to run and he gets taken down. Not really the type of runner to blast into the line and make his own hole.
Agreed. Plus other teams are so keyed on the play at times. They seem to know what is being run. Goodson is very physical getting that extra yard or two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT