ADVERTISEMENT

Gov Reynolds attacks on public education working: Linn-Mar to lose 50 staff members in budget cuts. UPDATE: CR also losing staff.

Big picture needs to be examined. How many assistants does the Superintendent have and how many assistants do those assistants have.

Most every School District Head Office is overstaffed. How many of those working at the District Office ever set foot in a classrooom.

The problem with LInn Mar and most of the other School Districts in Iowa is too many Chiefs and not enough good indians.
Take a look at the fball and bball coaches salaries.

• Haha
Reactions: 2bagger22
Whatever Northern gets paid to do, if he's employed at all, I am certain he is making too much.

Almost 30 years in education and I can tell you not once in my career has our district over-staffed a school. Never has happened. I will predict that if paraeducators are released that you will have fewer students identified for IEPs or 504s. The kids that need the extra help simply won't get it. Just a prediction.

I am not familiar enough to know if enrollment is declining in these districts that are eliminating positions. Declining enrollment would be a legitimate reason to reduce staff, but I am getting the feeling that's not the case here.

I am not familiar enough to know if enrollment is declining in these districts that are eliminating positions. Declining enrollment would be a legitimate reason to reduce staff, but I am getting the feeling that's not the case here.

The district has cited a combination of expiring COVID-19 relief funding, low funding from the state legislature, and declining enrollment as factors in the financial shortfall.

Reactions: WSC72 and DogBoyRy
The district has cited a combination of expiring COVID-19 relief funding, low funding from the state legislature, and declining enrollment as factors in the financial shortfall.
Thanks. Covid $ should really have not been used for staff. My district hired zero people with Covid money. The state needs to pay up and if they don't, they need to end mandates that they cannot fund. Decline enrollment is a natural way to reduce staff.

It's a token gesture to have the Iowa Dept of Education/State of Iowa only increase funding to public schools by 2.5% for the 24/25 school year.

Even with the funding they're eventually going to take from the AEA budgets in the next two years, the State can't justify the voucher program.

Iowans might never see the true financial problems in the next few years because Terrace Hill won't allow audits.

The day of reckoning is approaching.

It's a token gesture to have the Iowa Dept of Education/State of Iowa only increase funding to public schools by 2.5% for the 24/25 school year.

Even with the funding they're eventually going to take from the AEA budgets in the next two years, the State can't justify the voucher program.

Iowans might never see the true financial problems in the next few years because Terrace Hill won't allow audits.

The day of reckoning is approaching.
The failing Iowa Public School system is allegedly experiencing declining enrollment so any increase in funding is just icing on the cake.

The failing Iowa Public School system is allegedly experiencing declining enrollment so any increase in funding is just icing on the cake.
Tell me you don't understand the fixed costs of operating a school district.

Tell me students will be better learners as class sizes increase with staff reductions.

Tell me why private schools can justify tuition increases without being required to accept more students.

You can't be that dense.

Tell me you don't understand the fixed costs of operating a school district.

Tell me students will be better learners as class sizes increase with staff reductions.

Tell me why private schools can justify tuition increases without being required to accept more students.

You can't be that dense.
Tell me why private schools are more efficient?

Tell me why private schools provide a much better education on less operating capital?

Tell me why the Public Schools are failing and the private schools aren't.

Surely you know the answers?

Tell me why private schools are more efficient?

Tell me why private schools provide a much better education on less operating capital?

Tell me why the Public Schools are failing and the private schools aren't.

Surely you know the answers?
I do.

Public schools can't pick and choose who to accept. Private can.

You think private schools have an identical ratio of special needs students to public schools?

Feigning ignorance is a bad look.

Be better.

So taxpayers chose facilities over staff when voting.
Oh my God. This is basic school finance stuff. General fund versus SAVE/PPEL/GO bonds. Look at this picture that even my daughter could understand:
ISFIS%20Finance%20Diagram_2023_Page_1.jpg

Oh my God. This is basic school finance stuff. General fund versus SAVE/PPEL/GO bonds. Look at this picture that even my daughter could understand:
ISFIS%20Finance%20Diagram_2023_Page_1.jpg
Alert - Alert
Drama queen posting. OMG.
Thanks for proving my point. Property taxes flow into lots of spending streams.

I know there are flaws with standardized testing, but why not compare spring 2023 test scores to spring 25 (next year) and see if there's any significant movement one way or another?

You can theorize and complain all day about what's good or bad, etc. But why not just look at impact to the kids? Then do more of what's working, less of what isn't.

2 years of data may at least give an indication 1 way or another, and if it doesn't then go for another year and see if it changes, adjust as needed.

No idea if it’s standard, I know it just changed for linn-mar within the last couple of years. Seems like that would suck if you lived just inside 2 miles from school as a parent.

Not sure if this has been answered yet...Iowa law states K-8 is 2 miles plus, 9-12 is 3 miles.

A district CAN choose to bus all students (for example, CR Prairie does this) - but they don't have to within these mile/grade levels.

Linn Mar cut the shorter routes to save money and make it easier to cover longer routes given the bus driver shortages most all districts have nowadays.

Reactions: EasyHawk
I do.

Public schools can't pick and choose who to accept. Private can.

You think private schools have an identical ratio of special needs students to public schools?

Feigning ignorance is a bad look.

Be better.
As usual you dodge the question at hand.

So let me remind you, Iowa Public Schools have champagne and caviar tastes on the taxpayers dime, while private schools have a beans and water budget.

Private schools exist to provide a quality education and they deliver on that. Private schools exist to educate not baby sit thus the majority of them are not equiped nor should they be to accept special needs students.

Private schools resemble an orderly society while Iowa Public Schools resemble the rabble of society including lack of respect, lack of discipline, lack of common decency.

No wonder since our great Governor has given Iowa citizens true school choice the flood gates are full of students escaping the hell holes of Iowa Public Schools.

As usual you dodge the question at hand.

So let me remind you, Iowa Public Schools have champagne and caviar tastes on the taxpayers dime, while private schools have a beans and water budget.

Private schools exist to provide a quality education and they deliver on that. Private schools exist to educate not baby sit thus the majority of them are not equiped nor should they be to accept special needs students.

Private schools resemble an orderly society while Iowa Public Schools resemble the rabble of society including lack of respect, lack of discipline, lack of common decency.

No wonder since our great Governor has given Iowa citizens true school choice the flood gates are full of students escaping the hell holes of Iowa Public Schools.
You should be Dim Kim's communications director with that little rant.
The facts are that Reynolds was acting on behalf of an EXTREME minority of Iowans to the detriment of a vast majority of kids.
She even had to hire an out of State entity to get the results she wanted with that bogus, subjective report.
Just like she had to bring in a private school advocate from Ohio to administer the voucher program.
The fact you fail to recognize this is both disappointing and disturbing.

When you understand the Governor's motives and see what private schools are doing with this windfall(increasing tuition), it's pretty easy for you to twist the facts.

Reactions: Ree4 and LunchBox50
You should be Dim Kim's communications director with that little rant.
The facts are that Reynolds was acting on behalf of an EXTREME minority of Iowans to the detriment of a vast majority of kids.
She even had to hire an out of State entity to get the results she wanted with that bogus, subjective report.
Just like she had to bring in a private school advocate from Ohio to administer the voucher program.
The fact you fail to recognize this is both disappointing and disturbing.

When you understand the Governor's motives and see what private schools are doing with this windfall(increasing tuition), it's pretty easy for you to twist the facts.
Windfall? LOL

School choice funded by the State should be a federal requirement! Every child should be guaranteed school choice just as women should have the right to vote.

I did.
They both come from the same source.
Thanks for the chart proving my point.
You were complaining about schools building or renovating facilities while also cutting staff. The picture, and common school knowledge, proves those have nothing to do with each other.

The fact they could both be funded by property taxes is irrelevant when discussing expenditures. SAVE/PPEL/GO bonds cannot be used to pay salaries.

You're worse than Northern at this.

Last edited:
You were complaining about schools building or renovating facilities while also cutting staff. The picture, and common school knowledge, proves those have nothing to do with each other.

The fact they could both be funded by property taxes is irrelevant when discussing expenditures. SAVE/PPEL/GO bonds cannot be used to pay salaries.

Why do you continue to debate stupidity? It's pointless. Stop wasting your time.

How many of you have lobbied for changes on the use of public taxpayer money for schools?

How many of the citizen legislators from the education field have put forth a bill to merge taxpayer funds?

Let's just be honest here. Some people like being able to hide behind the old "that's a different pot of money" defense. That way districts can indulge in expensive luxuries while at the same time complaining that pay isn't adequate or staff is being cut.

The public is tired of it. Public schools are losing in PR.

How many of you have lobbied for changes on the use of public taxpayer money for schools?

How many of the citizen legislators from the education field have put forth a bill to merge taxpayer funds?

Let's just be honest here. Some people like being able to hide behind the old "that's a different pot of money" defense. That way districts can indulge in expensive luxuries while at the same time complaining that pay isn't adequate or staff is being cut.

The public is tired of it. Public schools are losing in PR.
Your questions have been answered several times.

And it's called following Iowa code, not hiding behind anything. Public schools are beholden to state reporting and financial audits, none of which private schools are.

Your narrative is tired and inaccurate.

Your questions have been answered several times.

And it's called following Iowa code, not hiding behind anything. Public schools are beholden to state reporting and financial audits, none of which private schools are.

Your narrative is tired and inaccurate.

When did you answer the questions?

I know there are flaws with standardized testing, but why not compare spring 2023 test scores to spring 25 (next year) and see if there's any significant movement one way or another?

You can theorize and complain all day about what's good or bad, etc. But why not just look at impact to the kids? Then do more of what's working, less of what isn't.

2 years of data may at least give an indication 1 way or another, and if it doesn't then go for another year and see if it changes, adjust as needed.
THese numbers would be vastly different, mostly because of phones. Again phones should be public enemy #1 right now.
Most fights and problems in school can be tied directly to phones. What's worse is phones have destroyed attention spans and learning in kids. Smart phones should be banned for kids.

When did you answer the questions?
PPEL, SAVE and GO bonds will never be able to be used for salaries, so that would be futile. Not to mention, those levies are voter approved so the public decided they wanted to pay more for better facilities. Good on them.

Following the law isn't something I would call "hiding behind", but whatever fits your narrative.

Every single administrator has advocated for more flexibility in the general find, though, which would help save positions. Some has been provided, but more is needed.
Page 2 of this thread would be one example.

Are you okay? It's a little concerning you can't remember this from a few days ago.

Reactions: EasyHawk and Ree4
THese numbers would be vastly different, mostly because of phones. Again phones should be public enemy #1 right now.
Most fights and problems in school can be tied directly to phones. What's worse is phones have destroyed attention spans and learning in kids. Smart phones should be banned for kids.
Because phone were banned 2 years ago but not now? Or vice versa? While I whole-heartedly agree phones are a major problem for kids/teens, I don't understand why it would impact test scores. Can you help?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT