ADVERTISEMENT

Government healthcare is wonderful... just ask the British media...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
ELTLvYyX0AIKnHG

It was the kind of moment Boris Johnson has spent the entire U.K. election campaign trying to avoid. Confronted with a picture of a sick 4-year-old forced to sleep on the floor of a British hospital because of a shortage of beds, the prime minister looked away and tried to change the subject.

As the reporter, on camera, continued to try to show Johnson the picture on his phone, the prime minister refused to look, then took the device off him, stuck it in his own pocket, and tried to plow on with his prepared lines. Only when the reporter pointed this out did the prime minister finally look at the picture.

Johnson’s strategy in this campaign is to try to persuade voters who have traditionally backed the Labour Party that they ought to vote for his Conservatives. The fear has always been that something would happen that would remind them why they hadn’t voted Conservative in the past. The prime minister’s refusal to look at the picture might be that something.

It supports the opposition Labour Party’s core message that the Conservatives don’t care about the National Health Service and its users, and that a decade of spending constraints have left health and education in crisis.

Johnson on Defensive Over Boy on NHS Hospital Floor: U.K. Votes

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn made the point in a speech in Bristol, South West England. “A child with pneumonia, on the floor of a hospital in modern Britain,” he said, holding up a newspaper with the picture of the child on the front page. “That is a disgrace. We need to invest in our public services and end austerity.”

The Conservatives dispatched Health Secretary Matt Hancock to the hospital in question in Leeds, Northern England, but then made matters worse by briefing journalists that a Labour supporter had assaulted Hancock’s aide, before video of the incident showed this to be untrue.

There are just two days left until people start voting, and every poll has given Johnson’s Conservatives a clear lead. His simple message, that with a parliamentary majority he can get Brexit over the line, seems to have been cutting through.

But the Tories were burned in 2017, thinking they were heading for a majority before discovering that Labour had done unexpectedly well at holding onto its voters. The video of Johnson refusing to look at the picture of the sick child had been viewed more than 4 million times by Monday evening. If they needed more reasons to be nervous, an ICM Ltd poll showed Labour creeping to the point where a hung Parliament becomes a possibility.

https://news.yahoo.com/boris-johnson-bad-day-health-195000630.html

Reactions: Herkmeister
It was a frequent occurrence that inpatients would be housed in the ED and ED patients evaluated on gurneys in the hallway where I trained. We were also frequently on divert due to over census status, meaning ambulances would be turned away to other hospitals due to lack of beds.

Glad nobody took pictures of our ED for political posturing.

Our hospital was the most profitable non-profit hospital in the country.

An analysis that covered just half of England's hospitals found that almost 30,000 patients died in the past year while waiting for treatment -- an increase of 57% compared to 2013.

In some cases, the NHS has refused to provide treatment at all. In June, NHS England said that it would discontinue coverage of 17 procedures, including tonsillectomies and knee arthroscopies for osteoarthritis patients.

Even when patients receive treatment, the quality of care is poor. Patients in British hospitals are four times more likely to die than in U.S. hospitals, according to an analysis of outcomes from 2,000 similar surgeries conducted by researchers from University College London and Columbia University in New York. Among the more severely ill patients, the disparity was worse; the sickest Brits were seven times more likely to die.

A co-worker's wife was going to be induced last Thursday, but it had to be cancelled because there were no beds available in any of DSM's three hospitals.

My sister had a c-section scheduled for noon last Monday that was repeatedly pushed back until 9 PM due to lack of beds in Chicago. Couldn’t help but think, isn’t that the argument republicans use to scare us away from universal healthcare? And here my sister and her guy - pretty darned well-to-do white collar people paying out the ass for health insurance are.... told to wait while more pressing needs are met.

Huh.

When I was in the ER a few months back I spent the entire time on a gurney in the hallway. Never say a room.

Reactions: ParkerHawk
h
An analysis that covered just half of England's hospitals found that almost 30,000 patients died in the past year while waiting for treatment -- an increase of 57% compared to 2013.

In some cases, the NHS has refused to provide treatment at all. In June, NHS England said that it would discontinue coverage of 17 procedures, including tonsillectomies and knee arthroscopies for osteoarthritis patients.

Even when patients receive treatment, the quality of care is poor. Patients in British hospitals are four times more likely to die than in U.S. hospitals, according to an analysis of outcomes from 2,000 similar surgeries conducted by researchers from University College London and Columbia University in New York. Among the more severely ill patients, the disparity was worse; the sickest Brits were seven times more likely to die.

hey quit it with the facts.

Libs want them some socialized medicine so more people can die faster.

Reactions: royhobbs2
My sister had a c-section scheduled for noon last Monday that was repeatedly pushed back until 9 PM due to lack of beds in Chicago. Couldn’t help but think, isn’t that the argument republicans use to scare us away from universal healthcare? And here my sister and her guy - pretty darned well-to-do white collar people paying out the ass for health insurance are.... told to wait while more pressing needs are met.

Huh.

The same crap happens all the time in the US. In fact these people died.

https://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/waiting.room.death/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Edith_Rodriguez
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=2454685&page=1

But they love to pick up on any news story like that out of Europe and pretend like it never happens here.

Source?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
The same crap happens all the time in the US. In fact these people died.

https://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/01/waiting.room.death/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Edith_Rodriguez
https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=2454685&page=1

But they love to pick up on any news story like that out of Europe and pretend like it never happens here.

Bernie and Warren and the rest of the DNC clown show are saying Medicare For All will solve all these problems.

"source" ? is kind of a douche bag comment, the whole article is sourced with hyperlinks numbnuts.

Healthcare in the UK has been crap for a LONG time (perhaps always). I heard nothing but complaints about it when I lived there 10 years ago. Now, they didn't mind that it was free, but many of my co-workers were of the opinion that unless they were deathly ill there was no point in going to see anyone because they were confident they wouldn't get help. One of my employees told me that for weeks and when I finally told her to leave work and go, the evidence supported their assessment.

We want affordable healthcare, but anyone who tells you the UK has it figured out is ignorant. That doesn't mean I have all the answers, but I know for a fact that we don't want that.

Bernie and Warren and the rest of the DNC clown show are saying Medicare For All will solve all these problems.

No, probably not but they would solve the problem of bankruptcy caused by medical bills and would likely significantly reduce the problem of people waiting until a health problem becomes a major (and expensive) issue when it could have been taken care of earlier and cheaper if they would have just gone and seen the doctor about it.

No, probably not but they would solve the problem of bankruptcy caused by medical bills and would likely significantly reduce the problem of people waiting until a health problem becomes a major (and expensive) issue when it could have been taken care of earlier and cheaper if they would have just gone and seen the doctor about it.
It would take bankruptcy from a small segment of the population and nationalize it, to the point of bankrupting the entire country--especially with open borders. We would end up insuring and providing care for central and south America.

Doubtful,... Medicare for all will ultimately bankrupt the entire country and people will always be rolling the dice with their health...

It would take bankruptcy from a small segment of the population and nationalize it, to the point of bankrupting the entire country--especially with open borders. We would end up insuring and providing care for central and south America.

Are you saying healthcare wasn't available to those 45,000?
Available doesn’t make it affordable. You know this but don’t seem to care if poor people die.

Last edited:
its pretty clear he us pointing it's a not a great system. "Not enough funding" will always be the go to response for libs when government fails

They cut funding after the WW Financial Crisis, so funding does play a part here as it always does.

It was a frequent occurrence that inpatients would be housed in the ED and ED patients evaluated on gurneys in the hallway where I trained. We were also frequently on divert due to over census status, meaning ambulances would be turned away to other hospitals due to lack of beds.

Glad nobody took pictures of our ED for political posturing.

Our hospital was the most profitable non-profit hospital in the country.

End of thread.

Reactions: Rudolph
Poorer countries afford it but the richest nation in the world would be bankrupted by it. Great logic.

Poorer countries with a higher percentage of contributors do it,... we don't need more taxes, we need more tax payers...

Available doesn’t make it affordable. You know this but don’t seem to care if poor people die.

I do care if poor people die. That said, the poorest among us have Medicaid available, so you might want to try again. But you are partially right - I want to make sure all my resources aren't taken from me so that I have the ability to provide for my family before I provide for others.

Poorer countries with a higher percentage of contributors do it,... we don't need more taxes, we need more tax payers...

Nearly every American pays some sort of tax. For some reason you are caught up specifically on federal income tax. Even if you want to look specifically at the federal government nearly every American pays excise taxes to buy gas just to go to work.

And for the record if we need more tax payers I would suggest we go looking at the corporations who seem to be better than anyone at avoiding their taxes. They somehow make record profits, don't pay any corporate income tax on it, and somehow have most of their facilities exempt from state and local taxes as well.

But yeah you are getting screwed because a family making 30k a year and retiree's don't pay federal income taxes.

Nearly every American pays some sort of tax. For some reason you are caught up specifically on federal income tax. Even if you want to look specifically at the federal government nearly every American pays excise taxes to buy gas just to go to work.

Those other sorts of taxes aren't going to pay for Medicare For All.

And many people go to work without owning a car.

But yeah you are getting screwed because a family making 30k a year and retiree's don't pay federal income taxes.

My point is that these 30K a year families should be earning more, and paying income tax,... Wages have been suppressed for far too long and are just now beginning to move in the right direction...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT