ADVERTISEMENT

Grab the popcorn for Trump-Reynolds fight

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Todd Dorman
Jul. 27, 2023 5:00 am

U.S.

President Donald Trump embraces Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds during an Oct. 9, 2018, rally in Council Bluffs. The governor said she intends to thank Trump for allowing summer sales of E15 ethanol and for federal flood aid but share her concerns — when he visits Iowa next week — about his plans to impose tariffs on Mexico. (Reuters)
Maybe you, like me, have been munching a big tub of popcorn while enjoying the tiff between former President Donald Trump and Gov. Kim Reynolds.

On Tuesday, Reynolds released the schedule for her “Fair Side Chats,” where she will be “interviewing” Republican presidential candidates at the Iowa State Fair. Trump and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie are not on the itinerary.

That’s not a surprise. A couple of weeks ago, peeved by Reynolds’ pledge to remain neutral in Iowa’s caucus contest, Trump indignantly claimed credit on his social media platform, Truth Social, for Reynolds becoming governor.

“I opened up the Governor position for Kim Reynolds, & when she fell behind, I ENDORSED her, did big Rallies, & she won,” Trumped truthed. “Now, she wants to remain ‘NEUTRAL.’ I don’t invite her to events!”

Last week, Trump doubled down.

"With Kim, I helped her get elected," Trump said in a WHO Radio interview "I would say that without me she would not be governor."

Reynolds responded by saying Iowa voters made her governor.

“I owe it to Iowans who actually put their trust in me,” Reynolds told reporters. “They put their trust in me in 2018. It was a tough year for Republicans.”

It’s true Trump’s appointment of former Gov. Terry Branstad as ambassador to China opened the door for Reynolds to become governor in 2017. But Reynolds’ 2018 win was unusually narrow for an Iowa gubernatorial race. The backlash against Trump in the midterms likely hurt Reynolds. Had Democrat Fred Hubbell has been a more compelling candidate, Reynolds could have lost. It was the closest gubernatorial election since Branstad beat Lowell Junkins in 1986.

So, not surprisingly, Trump is mostly full of it. His criticism of Reynolds is not like anything we’ve seen before in caucus history. But “unlike anything we’ve seen before” is a common way to start any sentence about Trump.

This is the thank she gets. Reynolds has embraced Trump tightly since 2016. She’s been loyal to the former president to a fault, even refusing to condemn Trump’s role in the invasion of the U.S. Capitol. She’s happily received his endorsements. Now she’s caught in the usual cycle of loyal Trumpers who get thrown under the bus as soon as he decides they’ve crossed him. When will they learn?

I’s like to say I’m sorry this happened, but my mouth is full of popcorn.

Top leaders in both parties have largely remained neutral during caucus campaigns. That neutrality sends a message that the fix isn’t in and every candidate can have a fair shot. It’s a tradition seldom broken.

But Trump is right when he senses that Reynolds is enamored with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. She’s copied much of his agenda, making Iowa Florida North.

I’ve heard Iowa Republicans say this will hurt Trump. Count me as doubtful. The Real Clear Politics poling average still has Trump with a 31.7 percent lead in Iowa. DeSantis has made little headway. If Iowa Republicans will tolerate thousands of lies, reckless decisions, a riot and multiple indictments why should this change their minds?

Still, Trump could lose Iowa. But that may not matter, just as it didn’t in 2016. Trump is set to appear at Friday night’s big Lincoln Dinner. Grab some popcorn.

Last edited:
He may not have made her gov…but she’s foolish to think he doesn’t have enough sway with his supporters to make her “not gov” in the next election.

Her base and his base overlap quite a bit….and if forced to choose between the two in a spat….I’m guessing they choose Trump.

He may not have made her gov…but she’s foolish to think he doesn’t have enough sway with his supporters to make her “not gov” in the next election.

Her base and his base overlap quite a bit….and if forced to choose between the two in a spat….I’m guessing they choose Trump.
That's what makes this so great. They're eating their own.

He may not have made her gov…but she’s foolish to think he doesn’t have enough sway with his supporters to make her “not gov” in the next election. Her base and his base overlap quite a bit….and if forced to choose between the two in a spat….I’m guessing they choose Trump.

Trump will be on the political trash heap next time Reynolds has to run...

Zero chance she has a primary opponent.

Zero chance a Trump supporter would vote for the likes of Fred Hubbell or Deidre DeJear.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Two over-bearing, self-righteous, obnoxious, egotistical personalities are butting heads over....more bullshit! EPIC.
It will be great entertainment and I don’t care which side of the political aisle you sit. This is better than Luther/Wartburg, Herky vs. Cy...

Haha...Luther/ Wartburg? That's a pillow fight...

Which tells you everything thing you need to know about their base.

Once Trump gets the nomination, Dim Kim will be another sheep.

She'll pivot in a heartbeat.
When Trump wins the nomination he'll invite Kimmie to come and bend the knee, he'll make her grovel, and then he'll s**t on her publicly. And, she'll still campaign for him. No slight, real or perceived, is ever forgiven by Trump.

When Trump wins the nomination he'll invite Kimmie to come and bend the knee, he'll make her grovel, and then he'll s**t on her publicly. And, she'll still campaign for him. No slight, real or perceived, is ever forgiven by Trump.
As much stupid legislation that Dim Kim pushes, she's a savvy politician.

There's no doubt she will submit to Trump when the moment arrives.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Good. One of my huge complaints was her MAGA alignment. Too little too late though IMHO. She has been sucking the mushroom for too long to get the stain off of her.

Besides, she’s got her own version of MIowaGA going on. And even if some of MIGA is unpopular, she knows Iowans are two weak and hive minded to do anything and will just bend over and take it. She’s no dummy.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Possible nominee, impossible general election winner,.. dead man walking.
He will be a player in the Republican party until he's dead. You're just delusional if you think otherwise, a cult like that doesn't vanish into thin air.

He'd be gone already if what you've been repeating over and over were true

Edit: you've already proven to be delusional, I meant off the charts delusional

Last edited:
Meanwhile, DeSantis dangles a carrot for Kim.

Good. One of my huge complaints was her MAGA alignment. Too little too late though IMHO. She has been sucking the mushroom for too long to get the stain off of her.

Besides, she’s got her own version of MIowaGA going on. And even if some of MIGA is unpopular, she knows Iowans are two weak and hive minded to do anything and will just bend over and take it. She’s no dummy.

What about the "MAGA alignment" bothers you?

Can we at least be a little bit happy that she appears to have figured out Trump only cares about himself? She’s been burned and now he’s abandoned her. When you’re brainwashed, it’s very difficult to reverse your thinking. It appears she might have figured it out. I hope. Small victories can add up.

Reactions: Scott559 and h-hawk
What about the "MAGA alignment" bothers you?

In this case, it's her alignment with the man that used MAGA to get elected to POTUS and most everything that goes along with it. She used Trump's version of MAGA to her advantage (smart) but lowered herself to their level in doing so (gross). I have many issues with the way Trump's MAGA is perpetrated, perceived, and used - so many I don't have time to rehash them for you.

I've got appointments for the rest of the day and am riding RAGBRAI the next couple days so if you are having trouble comprehending how someone wouldn't like to see a governor "MAGA aligned," you'll need to ask specifics because I won't have time to play your meandering game Nordy.

r

Reactions: hawkbirch

The good folks I know who work at the Capitol in Des Moines are increasingly confident that she won't be running for governor in 2028. If she doesn't become VPOTUS, isn't nominated for a Cabinet position or name herself as Grassley's successor, she'll not seek another term and retire.

Lots can change in 5 years but I've heard that from several sources who have a pretty good feel for what is going on behind the scenes.

Can we at least be a little bit happy that she appears to have figured out Trump only cares about himself? She’s been burned and now he’s abandoned her. When you’re brainwashed, it’s very difficult to reverse your thinking. It appears she might have figured it out. I hope. Small victories can add up.

I just about coughed up a lung when I read this. If it appears that he will be the nominee, she'll be kissing the ring, promoting the hell out of his candidacy and lusting to be his running mate or to have a place in his Cabinet if he's elected.

In this case, it's her alignment with the man that used MAGA to get elected to POTUS and most everything that goes along with it. She used Trump's version of MAGA to her advantage (smart) but lowered herself to their level in doing so (gross). I have many issues with the way Trump's MAGA is perpetrated, perceived, and used - so many I don't have time to rehash them for you.

I've got appointments for the rest of the day and am riding RAGBRAI the next couple days so if you are having trouble comprehending how someone wouldn't like to see a governor "MAGA aligned," you'll need to ask specifics because I won't have time to play your meandering game Nordy.

r

I'm not talking about Trump, I'm talking about the MAGA agenda.

I'll wait for when you do have time. Have fun on Ragbrai.

The good folks I know who work at the Capitol in Des Moines are increasingly confident that she won't be running for governor in 2028. If she doesn't become VPOTUS, isn't nominated for a Cabinet position or name herself as Grassley's successor, she'll not seek another term and retire.

Lots can change in 5 years but I've heard that from several sources who have a pretty good feel for what is going on behind the scenes.

I'm not talking about Trump, I'm talking about the MAGA agenda.

I'll wait for when you do have time. Have fun on Ragbrai.

Will do.

In the meantime, do some homework and be prepared to define what the "MAGA agenda" means to you. There are numerous versions of what a "MAGA Republican" is, what the "MAGA movement" is, what "MAGA policies" are, or generally what "MAGA politics" are. If we can hone in on an agreed upon scope of what the MAGA agenda means to you, it will expedite our conversation. As stated above and rooted in relevancy to the OP, my disdain was how Kimmy aligned with Trump's version of MAGA - and that's why I didn't separate the two. If you want to broaden the conversation ad separate Trump from it, be ready to frame what that means so our discussion can be concise.

Will do.

In the meantime, do some homework and be prepared to define what the "MAGA agenda" means to you. There are numerous versions of what a "MAGA Republican" is, what the "MAGA movement" is, what "MAGA policies" are, or generally what "MAGA politics" are. If we can hone in on an agreed upon scope of what the MAGA agenda means to you, it will expedite our conversation. As stated above and rooted in relevancy to the OP, my disdain was how Kimmy aligned with Trump's version of MAGA - and that's why I didn't separate the two. If you want to broaden the conversation ad separate Trump from it, be ready to frame what that means so our discussion can be concise.

I was gonna ask the same of you regarding the definition of the MAGA movement. I'm intrigued to hear your views on that. Trump is simply the banner carrier. Does removing him, change your definition?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT