ADVERTISEMENT

Gratuitous thread - How unusual is my name?

Nole Lou

HR Heisman
Apr 5, 2002
Not Nole Lou so much, but the name Lou.

I have an extremely unusual last name with an odd spelling/pronunciation. I've spent my entire life with nobody being able to pronounce or spell may last name. That's totally fine.

But in the last ten years, I have now found that virtually nobody I encounter in a public setting under 30 years old understands the name Lou or Louis...at all. I find it extremely odd. It's never been the most common name, but now I constantly encounter people that simply don't process it as, like as an available name.

I mean, if I came across someone named Mortimer or Abel, I would find that unusual, but I would definitely recognize it as a name that exists. That's not what I get...I get people responding as if I said my name was chair, or Toledo or neeeeeeeee.

When I get called in a place like a doctor's office where I've written my name down, I constantly see people struggle with it like they used to my last name. Almost always they call for me as the female "Louise", which strikes me as a WAY less common and more old timey name that Louis. It's not like my name is Robevt and people are saying Robert. It feels like they are pulling a MORE uncommon version. If not Louise, they sometimes call for Luis, which makes some sense to me, as they may encounter that more frequently at least.

When I have to verbally give my name, like at a restaurant, they almost always settle on "Blue".

And what's the name on that?
"Lou"
I'm sorry, what?
"Lou"
Clue?
No, "Lou"
Uh ok...sir.

5 minutes later...
"Order for Blue!"

How am I in a world where someone being named Blue is more comprehensible than someone named Lou. I mean, there was Old School and all, but I haven't seen that result in a huge uptick in the number of people named Blue I run into.

I'm not particularly bothered by it, as I've spent my whole life going through it with my last name, I'm used to it. But it gives me this super weird Mandela effect or Glitch in the Matrix feeling like this name never actually existed. I mean, there were several famous people named Lou or Louis or Lew in the culture or sports or fictional characters during my life to establish it as a name...I guess they've all disappeared in the last couple decades?

So, if you don't mind...

First, how old are you?

And second, how unusual is the name Lou on a scale of 1-10? Not uncommon, but unusual as being a name?
1 - I didn't know it could be a name until I read this post
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 - I can see it being a name now that you mention it, but I might not assume it was a name
6-
7-
8-
9-
10 - Yeah, it's easily recognizable as being a standard if uncommon name

I have an extremely unusual last name with an odd spelling/pronunciation. I've spent my entire life with nobody being able to pronounce or spell may last name. That's totally fine.

But in the last ten years, I have now found that virtually nobody I encounter in a public setting under 30 years old understands the name Lou or Louis...at all. I find it extremely odd. It's never been the most common name, but now I constantly encounter people that simply don't process it as, like as an available name.

I mean, if I came across someone named Mortimer or Abel, I would find that unusual, but I would definitely recognize it as a name that exists. That's not what I get...I get people responding as if I said my name was chair, or Toledo or neeeeeeeee.

When I get called in a place like a doctor's office where I've written my name down, I constantly see people struggle with it like they used to my last name. Almost always they call for me as the female "Louise", which strikes me as a WAY less common and more old timey name that Louis. It's not like my name is Robevt and people are saying Robert. It feels like they are pulling a MORE uncommon version. If not Louise, they sometimes call for Luis, which makes some sense to me, as they may encounter that more frequently at least.

When I have to verbally give my name, like at a restaurant, they almost always settle on "Blue".

"Lou"
I'm sorry, what?
"Lou"
Clue?
No, "Lou"
Uh ok...sir.

5 minutes later...
"Order for Blue!"

How am I in a world where someone being named Blue is more comprehensible than someone named Lou. I mean, there was Old School and all, but I haven't seen that result in a huge uptick in the number of people named Blue I run into.

I'm not particularly bothered by it, as I've spent my whole life going through it with my last name, I'm used to it. But it gives me this super weird Mandela effect or Glitch in the Matrix feeling like this name never actually existed. I mean, there were several famous people named Lou or Louis or Lew in the culture or sports or fictional characters during my life to establish it as a name...I guess they've all disappeared in the last couple decades?

So, if you don't mind...

First, how old are you?

And second, how unusual is the name Lou on a scale of 1-10? Not uncommon, but unusual as being a name?
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 - I can see it being a name now that you mention it, but I might not assume it was a name
6-
7-
8-
9-

10, I've known a few Lou's in my life. No different then Chad to me.

49 and Lou is a common name to me. Two of my very good friends (like brothers)are named Lou. Both are Mexican American's.

33. I assumed it was a pseudonym and not your name because I do think of it as a common enough name for someone to choose as a pen name. Do you interact with a lot of ESL folks or is this American born people not getting it? I guess I don't know a Lou or Louis in my personal life but I'm sure they're all over still. Louis CK. Luis J Gomez.

Everyone pretty much my age, so at least I'm not crazy that it WAS a name.

My receipt from Zaxby's yeterday. Turns out Yaneth thinks Lou is a weird name...

20230405-181834.jpg

Has happened at least 100 times. Sometimes now I give my name as Blue just to make my wife laugh..."I just felt like cutting to the chase."

I like the touch of dropping the e this time though.

33. I assumed it was a pseudonym and not your name because I do think of it as a common enough name for someone to choose as a pen name. Do you interact with a lot of ESL folks or is this American born people not getting it? I guess I don't know a Lou or Louis in my personal life but I'm sure they're all over still. Louis CK. Luis J Gomez.

The cultural factor is probably part of it, but not all of it. That said, Luis and Luisa being as common as it is among Latin names, it would think the anglicized version would be less confusing than it is, as opposed to my name being Huntyr or something.

The cultural factor is probably part of it, but not all of it. That said, Luis and Luisa being as common as it is among Latin names, it would think the anglicized version would be less confusing than it is, as opposed to my name being Huntyr or something.
Were I to meet you, I'd be grateful like "thank goodness he goes by Lou, I can never remember if a Louis is a Lewis or a Lewey"

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Not uncommon, but people are stupid these days.

Have to say, I always think of this scene when I hear the name Louis.

“Lou-isssssssssssssssss”

Reactions: Nole Lou
Were I to meet you, I'd be grateful like "thank goodness he goes by Lou, I can never remember if a Louis is a Lewis or a Lewey"
Grew up in a meat packing town full of immigrants. My best friend was Luis and my grandpa was Luis but my best friend was pronounced Leweees and my grandpa was Lou es.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
Have people never hear of Lou Gehrig? Lou Reed? Not all that uncommon.

I'm 72, and never give that name a second thought.

And, gratuitous response: I thoroughly enjoy your posts; they always make me think about thinks. Keep it up.

This is how my last name goes down:

Me: [says last name]
Them: "Could you repeat that?"
Me: [repeats last name]
Them" "Could you spell that?"
Me: [spells last name]
Them: "OHH! Like it sounds!"

It's a running joke at family reunions, "OHH! Like it sounds!"

What the heck is F*#^ Tongue Torch Sauce, and why would you put it on your salad?

It's their cute name for hot "buffalo" style sauce. The chicken is shaken in the sauce, which is then put on the salad. It's whatever. It's my go to for a quick meal.

But since you brought it up I do have experience that reminds me of.

When I was 18, I used to work in the basement laundry of a huge Hyatt Regency hotel. One of the cool things about it was that they had a basement cafeteria with free food for all of us "behind the scenes" folks in like laundry, housekeeping, engineering, etc. I don't remember management being down there much, maybe they were sometimes.

It was free, and it was really, really good. they had a couple ladies there making good cafeteria food - I remember they had great sausage and peppers, chicken dishes, etc. While the food was made for us, you could tell it was sourced from the same as the fancy restaurants for the guests, it was good stuff. And then occasionally it would be supplemented with stuff that was extras from the expensive restaurants upstairs, especially fancy deserts and cakes and stuff.

Anyway, they always had a big bowl of fresh lettuce and toppings to make a salad, as well as dressings, in unmarked containers like this:

933576.jpg

Well, I would frequently make a big salad, especially on the rare days when the regular selection didn't have any of my favorites. So I make this huge salad (at least as big as that bowl in the picture), load it with toppings, and go to grab the dressing. To my delight, in addition to the usual dressings of italian, ranch, and french, they have a bottle filled with deep red dressing that is obviously Catalina french.

And I LOVE me some Catalina french, which you don't see in a food service environment too often. So I grab the bottle and drench some of that goodness all over my huge salad, which draws some curious looks from the people in line behind me and the staff. Wow, I guess none of these other suckers are sophisticated like me - they've never seen Catalina french dressing. It's a little thinner than I'm expecting, but that must be how the rich people eat it upstairs.

So I go sit down, an notice there's still quite a few people kind of giving me the side eye about my salad. Huh. So I take a big forkful, and stuff it in my mouth, and discover I've drenched my salad with hot sauce. And now I know why everyone is looking at me weird. I like hot sauce, a lot, but that much hot sauce, and on lettuce...is disgusting. And now I've got to decide if I was going to go "oh shit", throw out my salad, and own up to being a dumbass.

But nope. I sat there and ate every burning, nauseating bite on my plate like this is how I always ate my salads. And watched through tearing up eyes as the cafeteria woman got up and moved the hot sauce bottle from the dressings rack to the condiment rack where it normally was. I swear she just looked at me and shook her head a little. I imagine she was thinking, "Damn, you a fool Blue."

Lou (or Louie) is just an old-fashioned name is all. I mean, not many Gen X or Millennial boys are named Louie, but we all knew of at least one from movies and TV. Louie the Lightning Bug. Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Life With Lou (Anderson).

If you want weird-ass names, try Ithamar, Othniel, or Increase (seriously, it was a name in the colonial days). Those are so off-the-wall that they would make J.K. Rowling say "WTF".

That is a strange phenomenon, something I wouldn't have guessed.

Even if it's less common these days, I'd think the existence of the city of St. Louis would at least keep people less ignorant of Louis and Lou.

That is a strange phenomenon, something I wouldn't have guessed.

Even if it's less common these days, I'd think the existence of the city of St. Louis would at least keep people less ignorant of Louis and Lou.

Ok, thanks. I think my takeaway from this thread is "Yes, this is as effing weird as it seems like."

And yes, I would kind of expect that a nurse reading the name Louis, would be able to connect to the city of St. Louis.

It is interesting that growing up, there were enough characters and celebrities with the name, many of which have been named in this thread. Louis Gossett Jr. was a pretty big star.

It has made me realize that there are actually precious few that are probably known at all by millenials...either not much staying power, or they were already old and cycling out of the ether when I was a kid like Louie Armstrong.

I have some stories about names, mine in particular.

I went to check in at a hotel in Orlando for nephew's wedding. I give them my name, I spell it, they're confused, so I say Herod, like the King. Girl says "who's that?" My husband looks at her and says, "like in the Bible". She says "I never heard of no Herod in the Bible", so I write my name, printed, mind you. And she goes to her computer with the paper, "H, e, r, o, d", Then tries to pronounce it, and turns the computer around, and says, "Is this you?"

And, yes, she was a native English speaker.

But there are countless times I spell it, write it, and next thing I know, it is misspelled. I'm like, "people, do you really think I can't spell my own name?"

Ok, thanks. I think my takeaway from this thread is "Yes, this is as effing weird as it seems like."

And yes, I would kind of expect that a nurse reading the name Louis, would be able to connect to the city of St. Louis.

It is interesting that growing up, there were enough characters and celebrities with the name, many of which have been named in this thread. Louis Gossett Jr. was a pretty big star.

It has made me realize that there are actually precious few that are probably known at all by millenials...either not much staying power, or they were already old and cycling out of the ether when I was a kid like Louie Armstrong.
St. Louis had it's own famous Lou--Lou Hudson when the Hawks played there, often referred to as "Sweet Lou" because of his smooth jump shot. My high school basketball coach made us watch film of Hudson so we would imitate his form. (Turns out, it takes more than the form for me, anyway.)

I'm in Dubuque county and Lou, Louis, Louie, etc. are fairly common. There are also many guys with the first name of Loras. Now that's a name you probably won't find all over....

I'm in Dubuque county and Lou, Louis, Louie, etc. are fairly common. There are also many guys with the first name of Loras. Now that's a name you probably won't find all over....
Literally only heard of the college. Was it named for locally famous Loras or are all the Loras fellows named after the college?

Literally only heard of the college. Was it named for locally famous Loras or are all the Loras fellows named after the college?
I would have to think they are named after the college founder. (though Loras was his surname - Mathias Loras) He was the first bishop in Dubuque (1840's) and was involved in setting up a lot of the catholic churches and missions in the area.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
I’d equate the name “Lou” with a big burly teamster from Philly and seeing your lunch order suggests I may not be far off.

Yep. A Lou eating buffalo chicken makes sense. I think a real "Lou" would say that salad is what food eats.

Certainly not a common name, off the top of my head I’ve only known one Louis and he was a friend of my youngest son. That being said it’s common enough that most people should recognize it fairly easily. I call my granddaughter Lucy, “Lu” all the the time.

I give it an 8 or 9 on your scale.

"Lou"
I'm sorry, what?
"Lou"
Clue?
No, "Lou"
Uh ok...sir.

5 minutes later...
"Order for Blue!"

So, if you don't mind...

First, how old are you?

2 -
3 -
4 -
6-
7-
8-
9-

"Lou" is not uncommon.

The hotel thing is ridiculous. I have a very common first name and a last name that is a very common word. Both names are only four letters. It's amazing how often they can't understand two syllables.

Have people never hear of Lou Gehrig? Lou Reed? Not all that uncommon.

I'm 72, and never give that name a second thought.

And, gratuitous response: I thoroughly enjoy your posts; they always make me think about thinks. Keep it up.
IMHO America would be a cooler place if people did Lou Reed impersonations like they do with Elvis

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT