ADVERTISEMENT

Great movies Millennials probably don’t know about

Bill-Teds-Excellent_Adventure.jpg

One that someone recently mentioned to me that they couldn’t believe I’ve never seen is Meatballs. It came out before I was born and I still need to watch it. The reviews look good and it evidently launched Bill Murray’s film career and indirectly later led to Ghost Busters, etc.
Yeah suit yourself, but if you've seen one Bill Murray film you've pretty much seen them all.

Reactions: Nole Lou
Pride of the Yankees
Diggstown
My Cousin Vinny (I swear it’s true)
Turk 182
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh

Field of Dreams. Great fantasy baseball flick about a guy who builds a baseball field in rural Nebraska and brings back Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Definitely some good ones here, but I think this thread is supposed to be about stuff we watched when we were younger that our kids have no interest in or never heard of. Much of this looks more like a "name your favorite movie from the 70s and 80s that is impossible not to be familiar with" thread. Either that or you don't give your kids enough credit.

Definitely some good ones here, but I think this thread is supposed to be about stuff we watched when we were younger that our kids have no interest in or never heard of. Much of this looks more like a "name your favorite movie from the 70s and 80s that is impossible not to be familiar with" thread. Either that or you don't give your kids enough credit.
I know it differs from person to person but I’ve run into some younger people who have a shocking lack of knowledge of movies from before they were born. Here’s a fun article about how Peyton Manning used to force his rookie wide receivers to watch a list of movies from the early 80s like Caddyshack. I guess quoting movie lines was so much a part of his way of communicating that he felt like these rookies couldn’t work with him if they were going to just give him blank stares when he would quote Caddyshack to them to try to lighten the mood at practice

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...nning-insists-you-watch-caddyshack-1454434616

Lots of bad movies here. Some average and some good but mostly bad. I am just happy I grew up in the golden age of cinema

Reactions: Nole Lou
From the article:

Playing alongside Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has always demanded a certain degree of preparation. The future Hall of Famer, who faces the Carolina Panthers in Sunday’s Super Bowl, is legendary for his study habits, film work and command of the playbook.

So it’s no surprise that the team’s backup quarterbacks know exactly what is expected of them. “There are some prerequisites for being in the quarterback [meeting] room,” said third-string quarterback Trevor Siemian. “‘Caddyshack’, ‘Top Gun’, ‘[National Lampoon’s] Christmas Vacation’.”

As well as mastering how to read a blitz and carve up a cover-2, Broncos quarterbacks must ace something just as important: knowledge of Manning’s favorite 1980s movies.

“We’ve given them assignments,” said Broncos quarterback coach Greg Knapp. “A summer ago, we had them watch ‘Stripes’ so they could get the lines down for that. That way, during the season, they know [what it means] when someone says, “If we were in Germany…I would have to make your bunk.’”

Knapp said that at any moment, Manning is liable to drop lines from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” or “Bull Durham,” among others. Keeping up with them can cause problems for the other quarterbacks—Brock Osweiler, who is 25, and Siemian, a 24-year-old selected in the seventh round of the 2015 draft. “I had already seen ‘Caddyshack’ so going back and seeing it a second time was pretty enjoyable,” Osweiler said.

Siemian said he was mostly on top of the movies Manning liked before joining the team, but when he arrived in Denver and realized the importance his teammate placed on the films, he needed a bit of a refresher. “I’ve watched a couple of the movies again—‘Christmas Vacation,’ ‘Caddyshack,’” he said. “He wants the room to keep up with the one-liners, the inside jokes.”

Most of Manning’s favorites have the same basic profile: wacky ‘80s comedies with legendary lead actors. “Caddyshack” and “Stripes,” of course, star Bill Murray, while John Candy and Chevy Chase star in other Manning favorites.

Manning sees these assignments partly as a teambuilding experience and partly as a public service—his teammates, he figures, should probably see these movies for their own good.

“The past few years, as I’ve reached my elder years as a quarterback in the NFL, I’ve kind of tried to get to know these rookies and try to get on the same page with them,” Manning said in 2013, adding that connecting with younger players had gotten harder since they don’t know the same movie quotes. “What I’m finding out is we don’t speak the same language because we don’t know the same favorite movies,” he said.

So Manning decided to get his teammates up to speed. There are some deep cuts in his movie library. Knapp said one of Manning’s most common quotes is “220, 221, whatever it takes,” which is from the 1983 Michael Keaton vehicle “Mr. Mom.”

Manning is also known to drop any number of lines from the 1988 classic Bull Durham, particularly those referencing the nickname “Meat,” which Kevin Costner’s character bestows on Tim Robbins’ character, Nuke LaLoosh. Manning has also said that Robbins delivers one of his favorite quotes in the movie: that winning is “better than losing.”

Not all of Manning’s quotes are so easy to identify, however. “There’s been times when one of us will throw a quote out and the two younger guys are going, ‘Nope, never saw that one,’” Knapp said.

Broncos coaches, like offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, say one of Manning’s best traits is his ability to understand younger players, even as he gets older. He is famous for studying the biographies and background of teammates so he can relate to them.

Knapp said Manning’s insistence on sprinkling team meetings with 30-year-old movie quotes is a strategy to break up the monotony of the weekly schedule. “The grind of the season, in this case, seven months, you need some levity, and one of his outlets is quoting those movies,” Knapp said. “It’s right up my alley—and I didn’t have to re-watch any of them.”

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I love Big.

No one has brought up Uncle Buck or Parenthood, yet. Those are excellent.

Parenthood! You know how long my kids ran around singing "when you're sliding into third and you lay a juicy turd...DIARRHEA"??
LOL. Now it's in my head :eek:

Also, every line from Mr. Mom, Top Gun, The Goonies...I know my son has had at least 4 beers when he breaks out into dialogue from one of those movies at major family gatherings. Of course the cousins jump in too and then it's an 80's free for all.

With social media they are overwhelmed. Let’s help them out.

The Big Chill

my kids are much younger than millennials, but crouching tiger hidden dragon came to mind recently. I think they would love it, but my wife thinks the subtitles will be too much for them to deal with. Anyone seen that recently? I seem to remember it just being amazing and the dialogue was not a huge part of the story.

another one that I would put out there is ‘throw momma from the train’. Odd movie, pretty great acting. No idea of it holds up, but my kids kids of dig darker comedies.

Parenthood! You know how long my kids ran around singing "when you're sliding into third and you lay a juicy turd...DIARRHEA"??
LOL. Now it's in my head :eek:

Also, every line from Mr. Mom, Top Gun, The Goonies...I know my son has had at least 4 beers when he breaks out into dialogue from one of those movies at major family gatherings. Of course the cousins jump in too and then it's an 80's free for all.
Mr. Mom is a good pick!

To this day, I've never owned, nor do I particularly care to ride in, a red car.

Dunno if it's strictly because of this movie, but when I get in a one, I immediately think of that scene where the guy finds out he is driving a fire department car.

"Maroon car, my ass. This motherfugger is RED!"

I also like their inflation solution. A shotgun. "6299? THATS TOO EFFIN, HIGH! BLAM!"
HAHA.

True story, I have a maroon colored Saturn and was pulled over for speeding (it was one of those overhead speed checks on 380 where they radio down to cops along the way to pull over speeders). The cop wrote the ticket fo a "red saturn" and I told him this car is "maroon." He didn't believe and said I could appeal it if I want. I did, got documentation of the difference between red and maroon saturns, and got the ticket overturned.

(is there were I put in CSB?)

my kids are much younger than millennials, but crouching tiger hidden dragon came to mind recently. I think they would love it, but my wife thinks the subtitles will be too much for them to deal with. Anyone seen that recently? I seem to remember it just being amazing and the dialogue was not a huge part of the story.

It's great. I will say, it's one of those movies that was visually astounding when it came out, but now has been imitated or just bested enough that it doesn't pop with that originality it had when it was released.

I showed it to my kids over the years, and they liked it, but didn't love it. On rewatching it with them, I realized that thematically, it may me a little mature for kids. Not Cinemax After Dark type of mature, but a lot of meditation on aging, unrequited love, duty, etc. I, probably like you, remembered the jump flying fight scenes, but when you realize that those things aren't going to blow a young person's mind...the story may not be something they can relate to.

HOWEVER...don't let subtitles be a barrier...get them used to subtitles early and not grow up into one of those people that "don't go to a movie to read". I'm not exactly sure how old they are, but if they're old enough, but a good subtitle moving for a young person can be Pan's Labyrinth. It can be scary or upsetting depending on how sensitive they are, not just some of the imagery, but the violent themes and overall menace, but if they're like young teens or maybe tweens, that might be a good one.

If they're younger, you can get them started on subtitled versions of Studio Ghibli movies.

Lots of bad movies here. Some average and some good but mostly bad. I am just happy I grew up in the golden age of cinema

LOL, was thinking the same thing. Lots of great movies mentioned, but tons of these movies stink. They are only great because someone liked them when they saw them, have tons of nostalgia, and now they "know" them. They don't stand up AT ALL if you can't go back to 1989 and watch them with your stoned bros. I'm laughing at how flat many of these would fall to someone watching them for the first time.

I'm having a hard time thinking of really great movies that would be totally unknown to millennials...most quality classics don't fall that far under the radar for a reason.

Maybe one I always suggest is Spike Lee's movie Inside Man. To me, that's an absolutely excellent movie that for some reason has fallen off the radar completely. Younger millennials would have been a little young, but in general anybody that didn't catch it the first time around has probably missed it because it just hasn't gotten the due I think it deserves.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
LOL, was thinking the same thing. Lots of great movies mentioned, but tons of these movies stink. They are only great because someone liked them when they saw them, have tons of nostalgia, and now they "know" them. They don't stand up AT ALL if you can't go back to 1989 and watch them with your stoned bros. I'm laughing at how flat many of these would fall to someone watching them for the first time.

I'm having a hard time thinking of really great movies that would be totally unknown to millennials...most quality classics don't fall that far under the radar for a reason.

Maybe one I always suggest is Spike Lee's movie Inside Man. To me, that's an absolutely excellent movie that for some reason has fallen off the radar completely. Younger millennials would have been a little young, but in general anybody that didn't catch it the first time around has probably missed it because it just hasn't gotten the due I think it deserves.
I am not sure the boomers understand how much content we have had at our hands since the 90s and now add in all the streaming as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have seen more movies from back then then the people that actually lived during that time haha

Timeless themes plus a couple of decidedly c-grade films:

Mostly films that are at risk of slipping into obscurity.

Cars:

-Two Lane Blacktop (previously mentioned but worth a second mention)
-Thunder Road
-Red Line 7000
-Drag Strip Girl

A couple of James M. Cain stories:

Double Indemnity
The Postman Always Rings Twice

Some WWII things:

The Caine Mutiny
Bridge over the River Kwai
The Naked and the Dead

Some Graham Greene:

The Comedians (Haiti and the Ton-Ton Macoute)
Our Man in Havana
The Quiet American (Vietnam after the French and before the Americans)
The Honorary Consul
Brighton Rock

Misc:

The Endless Summer

Depression era grift/crime:

The Paper Moon
Bonnie and Clyde
Emperor of the North
The Sting
Cool Hand Luke
Billy Bathgate

Last edited:
Reactions: SpyderHawk
Here are some more obscure movies that are absolutely fantastic

Flesh & Blood - One of Paul Verhoeven’s (Total Recall, Robocop, Starship Troopers) first movies and the one with the most gore and sex. Definitely watch the unrated version not the really neutered R version.

51%2BYmaK6n5L._AC_.jpg

The Prestige - A not so old movie with a fantastic cast (Christian Bale, Scarlet Johansson, Michael Caine, Hugh Jackman, David Bowie, Piper Perabo, Rebecca Hall, Andy Serkis) that is a nearly perfect movie with a shocking ending (if you avoid spoilers)

51wILNNX2VL._SY445_.jpg

Event Horizon- A Cthulhu movie masquerading as a Sci-fi movie, with some great performances and gore. Maybe my favorite horror movie after the 70s The Thing.

images

Six-String Samurai - One of the most bat*+^+ crazy movies ever made about a musician/ronin who seeks in a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland America to kill Elvis who is King of Las Vegas. A great soundtrack by the Red Elvises highlight this mind blowing movie.

71r2TKSdAtL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Tank Girl- Similar in vein to the previous movie but more cartoonish and less artistic but just as much a visual feast.

51QtnQvVvKL._AC_.jpg

The Game - By the director of Seven, this thriller never got the hype that Seven did but may be just as good.

MV5BZGVmMDNmYmEtNGQ2Mi00Y2ZhLThhZTYtYjE5YmQzMjZiZGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

Albino Alligator - A cheaply made movie using only two sets and mainly just one. It’s kind of what Tarantino was cribbing from when he wrote the Hateful Eight

1997-albino-aligator-poster2.jpg

The Hunted- A lot of anime’s steal shot visuals as well as the archetype of the slovenly bored samurai from this 90’s hidden gem starring Christopher Lambert who is a NYC businessman who sleeps with the wrong woman and is hunted by a ninja clan while some modern day samurais protect them. Is it realistic? No. Does it have fantastic visuals? Yes. Did they use any of them for the most boring looking cover and poster ever? No.

GUEST_56da53fe-2a26-4323-a913-f64488d2052d

Here’s some of what you’re missing out by not watching The Hunted, it would actually be better in a Kurosawa style black and white.

christopher-lambert-in-a-scene-from-the-film-the-hunted-1995-picture-id168586935

68.3.jpg

artworks-000165934782-bkv1p8-t500x500.jpg

MV5BOTkwNTUxNDU2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTMzMDc2._V1_UY1200_CR125,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

MVA02617.jpeg

Last edited:
Two that are fairly obscure:
Drop Dead Gorgeous - all star cast, hilarious. Small town Minnesota.
Fandango - another great cast and one of Costner's first roles. Very Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT