ADVERTISEMENT

GREAT news for Noles fans and pizza lovers!

giphy.gif

So am I right in saying "Quad Cities style pizza" means the crust is made with malted flour, the sauce is a little spicy, and the pizza is cut weird? Is that it?
I haven't been to the Quad Cities since the 1980s, so I am way out of the loop.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Am I the only one who thinks a brief geography lesson for Torbee is in order here?
I didn't Google the town - I actually saw this FB post on @SailorJerryHawk's page and they said it was Atlanta area.

I presumed a lot of FSU grads live in Georgia? Is that not right?

For example, if a Tallahassee Style Possum Sandwich shop opened in suburban Chicago, I feel like it would be normal to say "hey, Iowa fans - if you need your redneck roadkill fixin's fetish served, there is a new restaurant in your area."

Am I wrong?

So am I right in saying "Quad Cities style pizza" means the crust is made with malted flour, the sauce is a little spicy, and the pizza is cut weird? Is that it?
I haven't been to the Quad Cities since the 1980s, so I am way out of the loop.
Think of a pizza with a chewy dough and bland sauce that is cut into grid/rows like only a farmer would think of. The better ones use sausage pellets that resemble rabbit droppings and other ingredients that have mild flavor at best.

Enjoy your new Atlanta, Florida pizza location!

Reactions: QChawks
So what is special about the Quad Cities style? In the image above, looks like stuff tossed on after cooking? What makes them unique?

Never had it either.

But I am impressed and amused by Torbee's irrepressible crusade, which I think is half earnest and half schtick.

I didn't Google the town - I actually saw this FB post on @SailorJerryHawk's page and they said it was Atlanta area.

I presumed a lot of FSU grads live in Georgia? Is that not right?

For example, if a Tallahassee Style Possum Sandwich shop opened in suburban Chicago, I feel like it would be normal to say "hey, Iowa fans - if you need your redneck roadkill fixin's fetish served, there is a new restaurant in your area."

Am I wrong?

No Torbee, you’re exactly right. Atlanta is ‘Nole Central, Bobby Bowden has a key to the city, Charlie Ward has never paid for a meal there, and the ghost of Chief Osceola roams Peachtree Avenue at night chanting “this is ‘Nole Country.”

Reactions: torbee
Quad City-style pizza is a unique pizza style[1] that centers around the Quad Cities region of Iowa and Illinois in the United States. Characteristics of this style of pizza include a pizza crust made with malt, tomato sauce sometimes made with cayenne and red chili flakes, toppings placed under the cheese, and strips being cut instead of slices.

IMG_20181104_172039-e1542174053475.jpg

Quad City-style pizza is a unique pizza style[1] that centers around the Quad Cities region of Iowa and Illinois in the United States. Characteristics of this style of pizza include a pizza crust made with malt, tomato sauce sometimes made with cayenne and red chili flakes, toppings placed under the cheese, and strips being cut instead of slices.

IMG_20181104_172039-e1542174053475.jpg

I see the QC has never seen one of these before and insists on using metal jaws in the archaic crime-ridden pizza bizzaro world they live in.
71Odr6Fg6ML._SX466_.jpg

So what is special about the Quad Cities style? In the image above, looks like stuff tossed on after cooking? What makes them unique?
Basic differences:

• Fairly judicious use of malt in the crust, which gives it a bit of a nutty flavor.
  • Crust is thin, but retains a level of chewiness. This is something that throws some people, it is an acquired taste.
  • A truly good QC style will use only local sausage and cheese, and that sausage will be generously spiced, with fennel added. The "sausage pillow" is basically finely grinding the fresh sausage into almost a mince, and spreading it across the entire pizza, so every single bite has meat in it. Why people don't think this is AWESOME, I will never understand.
  • Not sure why Perky thinks the sauce is "bland". A good QC style (Fat Boys, Frank's, Wise Guys) uses a very tangy, spicy red sauce with cayenne and red pepper that pairs great with the sausage and cheese.
  • Finally, it is cut into strips using pizza shears, leaving four (delicious) triangular "corner" pieces and many thinner rectangles of deliciousness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT